+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Diddy does more Tori - "Night of Hunters" (2011)

shocked Diddy does more Tori - "Night of Hunters" (2011)

I've always thought like I wanted to get into Tori, I like selected bits of her back catalogue, most notably From the Choirgirl Hotel which is now the only CD of hers I have. I feel like if I want to have a go at really getting into a Banshee, Tori is the one I want to try.

So here goes, I'll do an effectively first listen party for Little Earthquakes. I've listened to all her CDs at some point but just on in the background or something so it is practically a new CD. I just hope I can understand a word of it all..

CHANGE OF PLAN, I dont think I can concentrate on this too intently while I'm on the net, so I have put it on my iPod and will listen in bed.

do go on ahead with it regardless of the actual place you do tori please
    i never learn.

Well that turned out to be a very good way of doing it, I ended up listening to it 4 nights in a row.

Good news, I rather liked it. I'm not in love with it or anything, I'm still being held back a bit by not really understanding her, but at least here I could tell what the words are and got some meaning out of that.

EARTHQUAKES RATE:
    07 Crucify - reminds me of Choirgirl hotel, i remember this one from the few times i listened years ago
    07 Girl - reminds me of Supposed Former.., love the last minute, jury's out on the outro)
    09 Silent all these years - AMAZE, though prime Tori nonsense. Love the music, her tone, the goregous Bush-y middle 8 thing
    08 Precious things - I like this, doesn't make me think of another banshee immediately so that's good
    08 Winter - a lot of 7s.. i like everything so far but i cant see myself doing karaoke or anything to them. A bit blah but I love the "when you gonna make up your mind" bits, more abstract Tori someone needs to explain to me
    07 Happy phantom - jaunty. I can imagine hating this in the past but it's alright. Again don't understand what's going on, apart from when she's talking about her foo.
    07 China - less disctinctive but quite lovely. Sound of it reminds me of the slow ones in Jagged little pill*
    06 Leather - didn't really take to this, not my thing. weather/forever/leather gets some des'ree points
    07 Mother - love a good piano solo. But that's about it
    07 Tear in your hand - a bit nondescript but it's nice to have a more standard song feeling to it
    04 Me and a gun - prime banshee territory and i'm in no doubt that most Tori fans are going to shout at me, but just did NOT like this. Yes I know it's about rape but what am I supposed to feel about this? Ruined the flow of the album too, it's like nearly being at a finish line and walking into a rake
    06 Little earthquakes - blah blah, it's not that bad but i'll finish at track 10 next time.

*Yes i know this was 3/4 years before Jagged little pill but I've been listening to that for 12 years.

Overall, much easier to listen to than I was expecting. Some lovely melodies and I have improved my thoughts about Tori's enunciation. I still haven't got much of a clue what she's on about, and i suspect without an English degree and a vagina I probably never will. Me and a gun hints at the sort of high art that would leave me cold later in Tori's discography but the album is an improvement on my previous opinion.

Tracks I'll keep on my iPod:
    Silent all these years, maybe Precious things. Doesn't seem like many but I think the album works better as a whole. I may end up re-buying the album because of that.

One last note. What on earth were they thinking with the single releases? The ones that ended up charting were probably alright, but opening with Me and a gun?! Was there a single version or something? Tear in your hand would have worked I think

Next: Under the pink
    Last edited by Diddy; 07-03-2009 at 11:13 PM.

lol @ the 'walking into a rake' bit

but I think "Winter" is one of her most self-explanatory songs ...
    I didn't think, I just posted

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

Overall, much easier to listen to than I was expecting.

Next: Under the pink
    Oh I really like this album.

I am curious as to what you think of "Under the Pink" as it's NEVER clicked with me, I just get a bit bored with it...

maybe i'm just on high alert.. *re-listens*

i suppose i just end up picking the bits that don't really make sense. Sleeping beauty trips me with a frown? The stuff with the white horses..

i dont know, perhaps they are really simple metaphors for things but I'm a bit dense when it comes to that. I was never any good at English.

Fun fact:
    According to pro wrestler and author Mick Foley, this may be the most beautiful song he's ever heard. Despite this characterization, he also says that some of his most violent matches have come about as a result of listening to this song beforehand. He says the song helps him to visualize the carnage he wants to create within the match. He also recognizes the irony in such a beautiful piece of music inspiring him to higher levels of mayhem.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I am curious as to what you think of "Under the Pink" as it's NEVER clicked with me, I just get a bit bored with it...
    I'm a little concerned that i've been lulled into a false sense of security with Little Earthquakes. Space dog sounds like the Tori-isms will be off the chart. Am I right?

grin

I'm a little concerned that i've been lulled into a false sense of security with Little Earthquakes. Space dog sounds like the Tori-isms will be off the chart. Am I right?
    God knows I can't even REMEMBER that one it's so close to the end i'm probably asleep by that point.

Registered User Mr Betty Draper's Avatar
    I thought this was going to be about P Diddy covering Tori.

Oh and start with Under The Pink, I would. I much prefer it to Little Earthquakes.

Well if you find elements of Little Earthquakes difficult to decipher wait till you get to Boys for Pele.

I'm hoping there will be one Tori album that I will just understand, start to finish.

I mean, The power of orange knickers can't be that difficult can it?

From the Choirgirl Hotel and Little Earthquakes are arguably her most accessible albums.

why do you have to fully UNDERSTAND it though? don't be a control freak when it comes to music

filling songs up with your own meaning is an absolute pleasure

that said LE is quite easy to understand, apart from little bits and pieces here and there it features some of her most lucid songwriting
    i never learn.

Just checking in, I AM still doing this, though a little delayed. I've listened through UTP about three times now, I think I need a few more to collect my thoughts.

Now that we have agreed that I'm totally DENSE, I can at least note that I feel UTP is musically quite similar to LE, but I'm loving the more orchestral feel to it. I would probably agree that it's a little overlong, especially as the last few songs are nothing particularly exciting.

Well another success I had been put on alert by your comments in this thread but this felt to me like not too much of a divergence from Little Earthquakes in the feel of the music, but a little more polished for a bigger push.

PINK RATE
    08 Pretty good year
    - feels like familiar territory after LE, just the stuff I liked from it, piano-led and getting a bit more orchestral as it goes along. I just like some of the strange sounding phrases she comes out with, like Greg's birthday pen. She loses a bit towards the end, but regains her composure .. not sure how much i like that little detour.
    07 God - While there's nothing I don't particularly dislike about this, it's all a bit jarring, like the weird alive-shrieking guitar noises, give me the spooks I'm afraid. Sticks in my head, but sometimes not for the right reasons
    08 Bells for her - This stopped me the first time I attempted, thinking it would be an early "Me and a gun" stinker. But this is just so interesting.. I think I worked out it was about a sister in a coma or something? It's delicate and spooky in a way that reminds me of Bjork's Vespertine (but better).
    07 Past the mission - Nice jaunty little story, can't say I'm not sure what's going on until the body turns up and shiiittt... Did she know a hot girl? I wasnt sure if I was hearing things right there.
    09 Baker Baker - POOR BRAVE TORI. A bit of a comfort eating slash baked goods metaphor madness. I followed all of this one imagine that! i'm surprised i'm rating this as my highest track so far but i just think it really makes me feel what she's trying to say.
    06 Wrong Band - Oh well it wasn't going to last. Sounds like something you would like if you were into the dramatic arts, but it's all a bit knowing and fine if you are into masquerade balls and things. But I'm not.
    07 The waitress - Back to spooky, the uurgghhh death moans are creeping me out. I dont really know why she hates this waitress but I'm all for it. Sounds like a bit of a LARF. Bit of a hot mess really .. I believe in peeeace BITCH
    09 Cornflake Girl - EPIC. Oddly of all the Tori stuff I was familiar with, this was not one of them, though it's not only the first one I have heard of (i mean it's not a difficult title to remember) but it's like her biggest hit aside from the remix of PW right? And it suits its role as her commercial peak in the UK along with UTP's #1. I like it a lot, the intro is great, and has a fair few hooks up its sleeve so at least I can try and sing along to bits of it like some rubbish housewife. Sidebar: I hate cornflakes.
    09 Icicle - Now I'm not very good at spotting what she's talking about, but is this about flicking her bean instead of reading the Bible isn't it? ISNT IT? Ahh score. Well not like I can particularly relate there but not bad. The terrible piano mashing over the first 90 seconds is a holocaust for the ears, but the song itself is much better. It's all a bit spooky again, like she's recounting some horrible repressed childhood memory like being fiddles or kidnapped or something.
    07 Cloud on my tongue - We are starting to lose our way a little now, nice enough but nothing particularly stand out. Would be a bit hypocritical to rate this too low but i'm reaching for the skip button.
    07 Space Dog - Oh now this wasnt as bad as I thought it would be! A bit of a beat too, is this supposed to be like Space Oddity or something? I'm afraid the symbolism is lost on me, but file this under the same sort of indistinct pleasantry as Cloud on my tongue, despite the early promise. The 90 seconds is a little better but that's all I can say.
    06 Yes, Anastasia - More like Anasthaesia.. 9 1/2 minutes? are you joking? Next please ... but then that's IT! Bit of a wet fart to go out on, but it didn't hurt Bjork's Post did it?

Overall, I prefer this to Little Earthquakes, the instrumentation, everything seems a bit more refined this time around. It's not a million miles away really. I seem to wait through the albums for Tori to fine the right balance between angry MENTULNESS to understated insightful moments. She strikes the balance a few times here, and a couple of other close runs, but this balance tilts towards pretty floaty delicates at the end and never comes back.

Still, very good, 8/10 I say.

Keepers for the iPod, I think I might keep Bells for her, Pretty good year, Cornflake Girl, Baker Baker, and maybe Icicle.

Not really surprised at the single choices, though God was a bit of an iffy one for 2nd single, I'm glad PGY brought it back in the end.

Anyway, I'm bracing myself for Boys for Pele next ...

Those ratings for the last three are all WRONG WRONG WRONG.

mad

This thread title misleads me AGAIN AND AGAIN
    Friends of Sony Music Chillay

07 Pretty good year
    08 God
    10 Bells for her
    10 Past the mission - it's all about those NIN backing vocals
    09 Baker Baker - this used to make me cringe, but it is fantastic
    10 Wrong Band - you know this was probably my least favourite tori song?
    08 The waitress - don't kill me suede, but i'm not an angry teenager any more!
    09 Cornflake Girl
    08 Icicle
    10 Cloud on my tongue - possibly my favourite tori song ever, it's all about the live version
    10 Space Dog - amazing... is she still PISSING in the river now?
    07 Yes, Anastasia

all in all this is a great album i NEVER feel the urge to listen to in full for some reason
    i never learn.

UGH I'm really not getting on with Boys for Pele .. I think I need to call time on it.

PELE RATE
    08 Beauty Queen / Horses - Well spooky.. I don't really know why these are combined, they are long enough for two songs aren't they, or at least Horses is. Feels like it wouldn't be out of place on UTP, though sadly this trend isn't going to continue.
    06 Blood Roses - Dimly remember this from last time.. very costume-drama sounding. Don't really know what this is about, and it falls apart when she does her mental "come on come on"s. I think you're a QUEEER. ..
    07 Father Lucifer - The tune is alright, just rambly lyrics I'm not understanding as usual. I'm having a bit of trouble with her accent sometimes, it's very put-on sometimes, and starting to get irritating. The piano bit about halfway through is quite nice.
    08 Professional Widow - Similar feeling to Blood Roses with the harpsichord(?).. this has a headstart with the remix (though that's now what I'm marking on). It's a bit clumsy but I suppose I just feel a bit more familiar with it. The last minute is an improvement I think.
    06 Mr Zebra - Zee-ber-a .. .. oh well what is about? If I was a martian I might like this, but as I can speak English it's just annoying because it's a bit of a nonsense.
    07 Marianne - Starting to drift off a bit here, it's like a sub-standard UTP track to my ears. That's a back-handed compliment but I wouldn't get too excited.
    06 Caught a lite sneeze - Lead single?? Well it is pretty slim pickings remixes aside.. She's really trying not to sound understandable now isn't she? Apart from the opening lines it's like The Sims singing. CART A LIE SNEZZ
    04 Muhammad my friend - Jesus was a girl! Controversy! .. BORING. Seriously, what is the point of this? I'm getting a bit bored and fidgety by this stage.
    06 Hey Jupiter - Well at least this, quite being another rather nondescript slow song, it's a pleasantish one
    06 Way down - Thankfully she realises that this shouldn't stretch to a whole song. This is just blending into the same stuff now .. oh a choir there. But then it ends.
    04 Little Amsterdam - God, 7 songs left? By the look of my iTunes I fell asleep at this point half the times I listened to the album. This is like hearing a boring album playing in the next room.
    05 Talula - How was this a single when more notable things like Blood Roses were missed out? Well it has perked up a bit, though I appear to have some sort of mix (Tornado mix?). This isn't helping.
    03 Not the Red Baron - Another dithery piano tune. I am finding it very hard to carry on this.
    04 Agent Orange, Doughtnut Song - SEE ABOVE
    06 Putting the damage on - While I'm still on the ropes, the brass band is helping things on this track at the least
    04 Twinkle - THE END!

What a fucking STRUGGLE. I mean after such a nice listen as Under the Pink this is a real disappointment. I guess that will probably draw fire from Tori fans as I can imagine this will be a fan favourite or something .. it certainly lives up to all the fears I had when I started this little mission.

Still, I have From the Choirgirl Hotel, which is the only Tori album I have already - so I'm hoping this will be much better.

Can't win them all..

world peace is none of your business jivafox's Avatar
    You're ALONE NOW
    i don't believe in love but i believe in you

buy my new book, got rent to pay

Jesus WEPT

How many listens did you give it? Songs like Putting The Damage On need time to grow on you, but when they do, they're magical.

itunes says 6 for all the tracks, 8 for the first half

i didnt just give up straight away

in lighter news, as expected Choirgirl Hotel is doing MUCH better

world peace is none of your business jivafox's Avatar
    PLUS YOU MISSED A SONG

Where's DOUGHNUT SONG?
    i don't believe in love but i believe in you

buy my new book, got rent to pay

itunes says 6 for all the tracks, 8 for the first half

i didnt just give up straight away

in lighter news, as expected Choirgirl Hotel is doing MUCH better
    That is some impressive tenacity actually. You can definitely redeem yourself with Choirgirl love.

UGH I'm really not getting on with Boys for Pele .. I think I need to call time on it.

PELE RATE
    08 Beauty Queen / Horses - Well spooky.. I don't really know why these are combined, they are long enough for two songs aren't they, or at least Horses is. Feels like it wouldn't be out of place on UTP, though sadly this trend isn't going to continue.
    06 Caught a lite sneeze - Lead single?? Well it is pretty slim pickings remixes aside.. She's really trying not to sound understandable now isn't she? Apart from the opening lines it's like The Sims singing. CART A LIE SNEZZ
    06 Hey Jupiter - Well at least this, quite being another rather nondescript slow song, it's a pleasantish one
    04 Doughtnut Song - SEE ABOVE
    06 Putting the damage on - While I'm still on the ropes, the brass band is helping things on this track at the least

What a fucking STRUGGLE.
    Boys For Pele is ALL about those 5 tracks for me, I've always found it a comparative struggle also if truth be told. If you ever feel like carrying on trying to love it then I'd suggest focusing on those, Doughnut Song and Horses especially.

Oh and please keep going back to Cloud On My Tongue from Under The Pink, it really is quite wonderful and is my favourite Tori track ever, top 10 would be something like:

01: Cloud On My Tongue
    02: Beauty Queen / Horses
    03: Cooling
    04: Playboy Mommy
    05: Doughnut Song
    06: Cornflake Girl
    07: Lust
    08: Purple People
    09: Spark
    10: Hey Jupiter (Dakota Version)
    Last edited by Dandy; 16-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iguana View Post
    That is some impressive tenacity actually. You can definitely redeem yourself with Choirgirl love.
    well you are in luck, I've always loved Choirgirl, it's my #2 banshee album I think (granted it's not a tough competition), and the only one of hers I actually OWN (though i believe i have previously owned them all apart from TVAB and ADP).

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    Boys For Pele is ALL about those 5 tracks for me, I've always found it a comparative struggle also if truth be told. If you ever feel like carrying on trying to love it then I'd suggest focusing on those, Doughnut Song and Horses especially.
    Horses did make it onto my iPod (she is good at opening tracks so far), I think Doughnut song is just unlucky to be so far down a pretty gruelling tracklist. I guess that came across in my track-by-track .. but I will have another listen to that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandy View Post
    top 10 would be something like:
    OMG i guess a top 10 is a logical final thing for me to have in this little crusade.. i wonder what I will have. I'm afraid you will all poo-poo it and say how commercial all my choices are

Boys For Pele is her best album by a MILE. It takes a few listens though.

Not liking Caught A Lite Sneeze is verging on blasphemous though!

Whilst I still think Pele might be her best work, in my calmer days now I lean more towards Earthquakes as my favourite Tori album. That or Choirgirl.
    Last edited by Suedehead; 21-03-2009 at 07:23 PM.

Well as expected, this was a BIG improvement. I'm sure BFP is very worthy and meaningful but it just wasn't for me. This feels like almost a totally different artist now, the instrumentation was a lot more to my liking, and she's actually making tunes again! I think I'm going to Jark out

CHOIRGIRL RATE
    08 Spark - A creepy spidery intro into what I feel is one of her most obvious singles. I can tell what it's about too, even thought the subject matter is a little uncomfortable. The chorus feel a lot more fleshed out than the almost phonecall-sounding verses. Don't know what the icecream assassin is though, is she making this up? The the last third is a bit good too.
    07 Cruel - A great beat here, reminds me of Bjork when she was good. Don't understand a word from the start, and that "top 10 in the charts of pain" is a bit of a line, but this is alright.
    09 Black Dove (January) - Oh I love this muffly piano intro, just like the best bits of UTP but a bit more interesting. The 'galaxy' sections just come out of nowhere and I love them, then it rolls into the 'Texas' middle 8. AWESOME
    10 Raspberry Swirl - Now we are fucking talking. I don't really understand how this came to be made, it seems at odds to everything in the albums leading up to this point. But I'm glad it is. As good as Professional Widow, better even, without relying on a random remix to get it there. What a great title too!
    09 Jackie's strength - A complete change of tempo, but a great one still. Though the lyrics sound like something awful has happened (is this Jackie O?), the strings and everything just make me all warm. LOVE THIS
    08 Iieee - Uh oh, sounds like a major banshee title. But so far so normal sounding. It is firmly in banshee territory, but once the music kicks in after 40s I feel a little reassured. I love the chorus too, very spooky and hypnotic.
    05 Liquid Diamonds - A bit of a comedown after that string of great songs, and a bit of an overlong track to stick in the middle. Not really feeling this at all, but nothing really objectionable.
    06 She's your cocaine - A bit more rocky now, so not really my thing, but all in all, pretty good.
    07 Northern Lad - Vocally a bit strained, but this is much more what I was hoping for, not really exciting (though she does drop the F-bomb), but maybe that's just in comparison to the start of the album.
    08 Hotel - Ooh, what's all this then? A last gasp of beepy electronic music? SORT OF. It's a bit disjoint isn't it? While it's certainly woken up this half of the album, it is difficult to really get a grip on the song, but I like the hot mess in a roundabout way
    07 Playboy Mommy - What a naff instrument at the start, is it Fisher Price? This is like a slower not-as-good Cornflake, or at least to these ears in a rather lazy comparison it is. It does build up over the course, but not into anything very substantial. Still, alright.
    07 Pandora's Aquarium - Such a banshee title, no? Her nautical nanch? Nautical nuns? A bit of a wimpy one to go out on, she never seems to go out on a bang, but I should perhaps be grateful the last track is Track 12 given her track record.

So in summary, there are some real moments of STUN AMAZE, including the first 10 I've given out. It doesn't keep it afloat the whole time, and Liquid Diamonds really throws a spanner in the works for me, but still, a FINE effort and clearly my favourite Tori album so far.

I must give this a 9/10 just to get it in front on UTP which sometimes strikes me as a bit overgenerous but I'll let it go. GREAT artwork too.

I already had Raspberry Swirl, Spark and Jackie's Strength on my iPod, but I think I will keep Black Dove and even Iieee on there.

Am I forgiven, Pele-philes?
    Last edited by Diddy; 24-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.

liquid diamonds is probably in my top THREE tori songs ever
    oh well
    i never learn.

well it WOULD be wouldn't it?

Note to self: Do next review on Opposites Day
    Last edited by Diddy; 24-03-2009 at 07:16 PM.

I STILL LOVE YOU FOR TRYING, DIDDY!
    i never learn.

I'm actually quite excited at the prospect of To Venus and back, as it is the only album (well, apart from ADP but that doesn't count in my head) I have NO idea about. I don't know the singles or anything. Sounds like me loving Raspberry Swirl bodes well for the album at least, or am I way off?

Also the title is great (I love space stuff too)

I hate to say it but you are WAY off... it's my favourite album of hers now (which in itself makes me wonder if you'll like it! ) but it was the one it took me longest to get and to begin with it didn't really draw me back at all - there's certainly nothing as obviously dance influenced as Raspberry Swirl. Bliss and 1000 Oceans are fairly immediate though and the lyrics on those are about as straightforward as she's ever likely to do also.

OH NOES! Well I asked for that didn't I? It's my cross to bear as a Tori semi-n00b

Still, I managed to get through Boys for Pele despite my brain screaming at me to stop, so it looks good.

I always feel so stupid not understanding what the hell she's on about (on the occasions I can discern actual words), even worse admitting it in practically every other track review It's annoying because I know I'm NOT stupid. It's like she HATES ME

Oh my iTunes is RARING to go, Glory of the 80s has popped up no sooner have I put the album in. It's alright, I'm not concentrating so she just sounds like "flaady bargy laadidaadi", but it sounds alright!