+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Diddy did Madonna

disco Diddy did Madonna

Some of you may be aware that for the first half of 2009 I dove headlong into the album catalogue of Tori Amos.

With varying results, I really get a feel for her as an artist, and grew to know the albums in the short time I played them. Now I feel like something a bit less hardcore, but nonetheless close to my heart.

Madonna has unquestionably been one of my favourite artists (if not THE favourite) since I got into her with the release of Ray of Light just over 11 years ago. I hoovered up the back catalogue once my inner loon was unleashed in 2000, but I must say some of the album I really haven't had too much to do with, especially the earlier ones.

So I'm giving the same treatment to her albums as I did for Tori. I put an album on my iPod, listen to it at LEAST 5 times through, and post my track-by-track review. SIMPLES.

If I have enough time to write it all up before I go out, I'll post my "Madonna" track-by-track, otherwise it will probably be late tonight.

HOPE YOU LIKE IT GUYZ

Last edited by Diddy; 18-08-2009 at 07:29 PM.

I want to be Queen of the USA POP!'s Avatar
    Watch out for "I Know It", "Think of Me" and "Physical Attraction", they're PHENOMENAL

mad

JUST HURRY UP AND GET TO KATE BUSH.

I will ... ON OPPOSITES DAY maybe

Are you saying those are your favourite tracks from the album?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I will ... ON OPPOSITES DAY maybe

Are you saying those are your favourite tracks from the album?
    Yes, along with "Borderline" they are indeed

But most people probably disagree, "Burning Up" appears to be the Moopy favorite on the debut album.. but all 8 songs are great in my opinion

Have you heard the singles at all (besides the obvious 1 or 2 off this album) or is this a whole new listen for you?
    Last edited by POP!; 18-08-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POP! View Post
    Yes, along with "Borderline" they are indeed

But most people probably disagree, "Burning Up" appears to be the Moopy favorite on the debut album.. but all 8 songs are great in my opinion

Have you heard the singles at all (besides the obvious 1 or 2 off this album) or is this a whole new listen for you?
    Outrageous

Well I am well versed on the TIC singles, I tend to go for that rather than an old Marge album if I want something for the car. I'm familiar with Everybody and to a lesser extent Burning Up.

The others, not so much. I have listened to all these albums before, but like I said, the earlier ones are still unfamiliar.

Burning Up, I Know It, Think Of Me and Lucky Star are all really good, in fact its just a really damn great album.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

Well remember that the mixes on TIC are quite a bit different than the ones on the original album but I'd say you're off to a good start.

Every photograph is a cenotaph... Sheena's Avatar
    God it's FABULOUS

But "Burning Up" is in a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL ALTOGETHER
    And from here behind glass, I see more fools pass...

I'm in the mood for a RANKING

1. Physical Attraction
    2. Borderline
    3. Think of Me
    4. Burning Up
    5. I Know It
    6. Lucky Star
    7. Everybody
    8. Holiday

1-7 are 10/10 moments, I do like "Holiday" too.
    Last edited by POP!; 18-08-2009 at 08:17 PM.

Every photograph is a cenotaph... Sheena's Avatar
    THIS WEEK...

1. Burning Up 19/10
    2. Borderline 10/10
    3. Holiday 10/10
    4. Think Of Me 10/10
    5. Lucky Star 8/10
    6. Physical Attraction 8/10
    7. I Know It 8/10
    8. Everybody 7/10
    And from here behind glass, I see more fools pass...

Borderline is back to being my all time Marge #2 track. Nothing will ever threaten LAP.

Certainly nothing she's YET to release...

Borderline is the GREATEST CREATION ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH

sometimes.

What a difficult album it is to rank, I tried to do it for My top 50, and found it really rather difficult. I tentatively came up with:

Burning Up
    I Know It
    Lucky Star
    Borderline
    Think Of Me
    Everybody
    Physical Attraction
    Holiday

disco CELEBRATE

Well none of these albums are going to be a completely blank slate, mainly because the singles are legendary. I must admit I'm concerned that album tracks will be overshadowed, but I will try to be as impartial as I can.

A nice short one to start with, eight tracks - half of which were singles, BIG ones. This is a bit of a relief after a succession of 17+ track Tori monsters...

MADONNA RATE
    9.5 Lucky Star - Oh fuck being impartial, I LOVE THIS SO MUCH. Dripping with 80s charm but still feeling fresh over 25 years later. Quite simple really, but there are so many little features of this that I love, from the opening shimmer to the "You may be... my lucky star" bits. I'm never very good at explaining why I love songs, I have musical Aspergers or something. AMAZING
    10.0 Borderline - Again, I'm finding it hard to contain myself at this. Much as I love Lucky Star, it is a bit much stretched out over 5 minutes. Not so with Borderline, from its sweet intro to the brilliant chorus... . This has serious karaoke kudos with me, I love this in the car. I can totally relate too, in a retarded way.
    9.0 Burning Up - Now I do like this, always has been my favourite of the non-singles. It would have been great for this to be a single but really I can't fault the original choices. Again I'm amazed at how well this album has aged, and filled with such strong material. I think the lyrics are the best feature of this, with the backing being a bit more standard compared to the previous tracks. Fabulous.
    8.0 I know it - I LOVE the intro to this, that synthy riff is really just SUPER. Still a strong track, but I think the chorus is lacking a bit of OOMPH. The "but I'm not gonna CRY. FOR YOU" bits are great, and generally gets warm fuzzies from me.
    9.0 Holiday - Again, old as the hills but I think I love it more now than I ever have. I used to think of it more like a novelty song, but it's just the right side of it. I think it's managed to avoid being one of those songs that always gets played when holidays are mentioned (like Get the party started is every time anyone mentions a party). Great karaoke fun too, simple but amazing. If I ever forget the words to this then they should just PULL THE PLUG on my Life Support.
    7.0 Think of me - Intro reminds me a bit of the first Sonic game. It's a bit repetitive for me, not in a good way. There's nothing I particularly dislike about it, but not really doing it for me.
    7.5 Physical Attraction - LOVE the intro. But that's about it for me, it just feels a bit too empty, and the earliest example of her rather crummy rhyming SKILLZ. The verses are good but the chorus really lets it down for me. Actually I think the verses put this above Think of Me. Really reminds me of my old 80s tapes I used to listen to as a kid, like 5 Star or something. This really is far too long though.
    8.5 Everybody - I don't know but I really like this. Its use on Annie's "Greatest Hit" helped remind me what great music was behind this. I always thought she sounded a bit off key though. In my head this is the first Madonna song, just feels like PROTO-MADONNA or something, I can imagine this being an underground hit before she broke through. I don't know if that would give me many marks in a Madonna History exam, but that's how I feel. ODDLY good.

Well that was over QUICK wasn't it? Short but sweet, though I could have done with edits of a few of them.
    A great little selection, but to me that's all it is, a selection. Obviously this is very early days before Madonna really had much of a defined image or input. I mean she was just starting out so it's clearly totally justified, but you know?

Keepers for the iPod - I already have Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star and Everybody, I will add Burning Up too.

NEXT UP: Like a Virgin
    Last edited by Diddy; 18-08-2009 at 11:45 PM.

"Burning Up" was indeed a single albeit not a very successful one... not sure if its release stretched to the UK though.

Have you seen all the videos as well, DIddy? Cause that could be a WHOLE OTHER project
    Last edited by POP!; 18-08-2009 at 11:50 PM.

Now I think about it more, though I was a fan after RoL it was the 93:99 VHS I got from Xmas '99 that really set me off (probably why I'm an unusually big fan of Bad Girl). That really set me off, I think I bought TIC and True Blue a few weeks later.

I suppose that's a bit odd because none of the songs on either CD were on the tape, but whatever. Also oddly I think I saw a clip of the gospel bit of LAP on a TV show and I was really intrigued. My sister hates her so it was never really something I heard growing up.

Videos-wise, I have the TIC and 93:99 DVDs so I'm pretty covered. Also she's always on music TV here so I've filled in some of the gaps (True Blue, Who's that girl etc).

Don't get me wrong Pop!, I'm not a total beginner with Marge as I sort of was for Tori. I reckon if you named random album tracks at me, I'd get 50-60% of their album titles, I've just never really sat down and properly listened to a lot of the earlier stuff.

disco AND YOU CAN DANCE

OK on to Like a Virgin now. For some reason I never thought I liked this very much, it's certainly not the first choice if I want to listen to an Madonna album. But here I am, listening away. It's not that BAD, in fact I suppose with my low expectations it was quite pleasing. Some of the fan favourites from this though, I still can't really get on board with.

PS I think I must have a re-issue because I didn't think Into the Groove was on this originally...

VIRGIN RATE
    8.5 Material Girl - Now what I said about fan favourites doesn't really apply to this. While I still think it's a bit naff, it is a great song with a definite image to it. I suppose my main criticism of LAV (lolz) is that it just isn't as COOL as The First Album. This feels a bit gimmicky to shift a few records and get people talking. I mean of course it worked, but it just makes me roll my eyes a bit.
    6.5 Angel - Only looking now at her chart history, she had SEVEN Top 5s in 1985, this coming about midway through. It's always been a bit of a lost single to me, not one I was familiar with (i.e. it wasn't on TIC). It's alright, I don't dislike it but the chorus is just a bit blah. The whole THING is a bit blah. BLAH BLAH BLAH.
    8.0 Like a Virgin - Well as with Material Girl I can't criticise it too much because it was pretty much where the whole Madonna show really started taking off. Moreso than Material Girl this was really going for the attention, but now it makes me cringe a bit. I like the song itself to a point, but what was a bit risque at the time just doesn't mean the same now. It's classic Madonna so people are going to love it whatever I feel, but it's not one of my favourites.
    8.0 Over and Over - I'm not a huge fan of the album tracks, but I do like the tempo of this. The chorus doesn't do much for me but it's quite energetic and fun. The middle 8 is pretty good, and to be fair I would rate it highly among the non-singles, but I'm not in a huge rush to hear it again.
    9.0 Love don't live here anymore - This throws me, as I first met this song on the 93:99 DVD, featuring with a video made during her Evita shoot. Was this a single in 1985/6 and also on Something to Remember? Either way, it curiously seems to fit into both eras for her, even stranger since it was a cover of a Rose Royce track from the 70s. Either way it has been a (very) slow burner, I rather like this, really stands out from some of the fluff that's been on so far.
    10.0 Into the Groove - And YOU CAN DANCE. OMG I love this, drenched in 80s but still feeling fresh. Makes me remember how much I loved Desperately Seeking Susan. In fact I only just twigged that DSS was made so early into her career, I always thought she had been pretty established first... well whatever. Anyway, a STONE COLD CLASSIC.
    10.0 Dress you up - One of many little nudges towards Madonna was a GAP advert where various models covered this. The original picks up where Into the Groove left off, really 80s but totally great today. I had the Thin White Duke remix before, and he really didn't have to do much to this apart from beef up the backing (which worked great). I hate to throw out 10s like paedos give out sweets, but what can you DO?
    9.5 Shoo Be Doo - Apart from an atrocious title, I always quite liked this. Really builds up, quite a sweet little ballad that gradually picks up the pace into an amazingly catchy chorus. GORGE. I love the music behind it to, less is MORE.
    7.0 Pretender - Oh well it couldn't last... never really liked it, where some of the songs are totally 80s but really fresh, this just feels dated. That lends a certain charm to it, but it's a pretty cliched formula to a song, with some pretty clumsy lyrics scoring highly on the Des'ree-o-meter.
    7.5 Stay - Oh I LOVE the backing, but again the lyrics feel a bit cliched. I can't imagine it was much different back in 1985 either. Still, I can just pretend not to hear all that... bit of an indifferent ending to the album though. That "True love" bit she keeps saying just makes me thing of "True Blue" so much. SKOO SKOO SKOO SKOODALLY BEE BAP.

A bit of a lumpy start and end, but WHAT a run in the middle. Overall a pretty decent pop album, though there are a number of moments when I am eyeing the "skip" button. I wouldn't say it's a classic by any means, more like a fun fluffy 80s album with some TITANICALLY AMAZING tracks holding it all together. Feels like the "X" of its day, like they knew they would have a hit on their hands so just threw a load of songs at it and hoped something would stick. Luckily it paid off more than "X" did and turned Madonna into an A-List megastar, but it just feels a bit flimsy.

Keepers for the iPod: I already had Into the Groove and Dress you up (Thin White Duke edit), but I will add Love don't live here anymore and Dress you up.

NEXT UP: True Blue

Interesting ratings, your ranking of tracks is pretty much the exact opposite of my own, but its a very interesting read.
    Last edited by Johnkm; 28-08-2009 at 11:10 PM.

Love Don't Live Here Anymore is SO one of very few Madonna songs I'd rate below 5/10.

Stay is glorious though, listen to it again you baboon.

Angel is AMAZING. Much better than the crappy filler that is bloody 'Shoo Be Doo'.

"Angel" is FABULOUS but then so is "Shoo-Bee-Doo" OOH LA LA COME TO ME BAYBABY

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    "Angel" is FABULOUS but then so is "Shoo-Bee-Doo" OOH LA LA COME TO ME BAYBABY
    THANK YOU!

Cos I can't TAKEITANYMOOOORE

Quote Originally Posted by VoR View Post
    Angel is AMAZING. Much better than the crappy filler that is bloody 'Shoo Be Doo'.
    Too true.

disco WILL I GROW OLD?

RIGHT, no dawdling, onto True Blue. I BELIEVE this is one of the first Madonna albums I bought, I'd only got Ray of Light at the time, I got this the same time as The Immaculate Collection, just because I wanted to get something of hers and there it WAS.

Tedious anecdotes aside, what a TIGHT little album this is. 9 tracks but like The First Album, this allows for a majority share of SOLID GOLD. Certainly a great STRIDE forward after Like a Virgin, everything just feels more polished and thought-through.

Anyway enough waffle.

What amazing artwork

BLUE RATE
    9.5 Papa don't preach - An undeniable classic to start with, showing off the sudden jump of sophistication from Like a Virgin. I won't go on about "tackling difficult issues" though I'm sure this helped steer her image slightly away from the pop fluff angle, though it was still obviously pop. A great video to go with it too, amazing.
    9.0 Open your heart - I only really got to know this one through the 93:99 video, I don't think I'm too out of line to suggest it's not one of her signature songs. That is to its credit in my eyes really, it still feels pretty fresh to me. I suppose the subject matter isn't really very different to some of the earlier albums but it just sounds so much better. It's a rather intangible difference, I suppose the structure is a bit more complex. Another amazing video.
    7.0 White Heat - THAT'S it, a nice gold medal for the cop. What a bizarre intro... Well I don't really get on so much with this, with rather laboured metaphors (unless she really is saying "This is a BUS"). I do love the production on this album, I can just imagine how she could've just ended up like whatever the US version of the S.A.W. production line was. Not my favourite song but it's alright.
    10.0 Live to tell - I didn't realise this was the lead single, rather brave move! This hadn't really registered with me until a few years ago and it's really turned into one of my favourites. The Confessions Tour version really pushed it over the edge, I LOVED that. That pause leading into the "If I ran away..." section is just amazing.
    8.5 Where's the party - The sequencing on this album is a bit random, but here we are in the middle of a rather sugary pop song. Of the few album tracks this really is very PLEASANT. Maybe this what is needed after something so serious as Live to tell, I can't think of much criticism to aim at this.
    6.0 True Blue - Oh now a rare mis-step in the singles. I never really liked this, the 50's pastiche thing really doesn't come off well, just feels a bit too forced. Maybe I always thought this was a rather undeserving #1 given the ones that missed out. Not really fit to be the title track to such a great album.
    10.0 La Isla Bonita - Another late bloomer. Probably one of the few songs of hers I was aware of from a young age at some level. But it's only again in the last few years that I've really got into this, but this time not down to any recent live performances. For some reason they never really worked for me. But this is AMAZING, I love doing a bit of karaoke to this in the car. A high point in TIC.
    8.0 Jimmy Jimmy - More up-tempo fluff, I feel like this is a much better 50's throwback/tribute than True Blue ever way. It is a bit throwaway but it's a cute song. Not exactly a classic but I like it.
    8.5 Love makes the world go round - NOW I do like this, I would totally have released this as a single instead of True Blue. Anti-war songs are always a bit cringey but this is just so poppy and great. The verses are a bit iffy but the chorus is just too much

That was over pretty quickly, and while it isn't wall-to-wall amazing, it is certainly a major recovery from the patchy Like a Virgin. So it's pleasing to see that this was really the one that made her into a megastar, going multi-platinum in several countries and being the biggest-selling album of 1986 in the UK.
    I'm enjoying it while it lasts, because while she certainly did out-and-out pop stuff later on, things all got a bit more SERIOUS from this point.

Keepers for the iPod: Papa don't preach, Open your heart, Live to tell, La Isla Bonita, Love makes the world go round.

UP NEXT: Who's That Girl / You can dance interlude

I think thats pretty much what I would say too, thought I do think Wheres The Party is quite wonderful 10/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    9.0 Open your heart - I only really got to know this one through the 93:99 video
    Don't you mean The Immaculate Collection video? :geek:

But yes, as you say, the album is TIGHT, 5 massive singles ("True Blue" [the song] is lovely, how dare you say otherwise) and some FUN, harmless 80s pop filler, "White Heat" being my favorite of the album tracks.

I look forward to your evaluations of WTG and the YCD albums, I hope you're going to listen to the FULL albums, the WTG soundtrack (even the non-Madge songs) isn't HALF BAD

Don't you mean The Immaculate Collection video? :geek:
    oh WHATEVER

I'm not really relishing the idea of listening to WTG or You can dance. I don't think I'll give it my trademark THOROUGHNESS, at least not the non-Madonna tracks on WTG

I havent listened to YCD the full way through once, I dont feel I ever want too actually.

i hate remixes. I guess there's SPOTLIGHT though

They're EASY LISTENS to be fair, not a lot of thought has to be put into many of those tracks, they're notoriously fluffy and the You Can Dance album is great to listen to while cleaning stuff up or just spending a quiet afternoon in.

And remember, the WTG tracks and "Spotlight" were Madonna's last true blue 80s POP efforts, she got a bit serious thereafter
    Last edited by POP!; 07-09-2009 at 10:58 PM.

You Can Dance album is great to listen to while cleaning stuff up or just spending a quiet afternoon in.
    That should be perfect then, since those activities cover about 85% of my spare time

And remember, the WTG tracks and "Spotlight" were Madonna's last true blue 80s POP efforts, she got a bit serious thereafter
    And their all 11/10 moments

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkm View Post
    And their all 11/10 moments
    Let's not be ridiculous

"The Look of Love" and the extended mix of "Into the Groove" are the only legit 11/10 moments between the two albums

Let's not be ridiculous

"The Look of Love" and the extended mix of "Into the Groove" are the only legit 11/10 moments between the two albums
    Yeah but when it comes to 80's Madge pop I do get ridiculous

The Look Of Love is the one I would consider the least good of the 5 frankly.

How To Succeed In Business... Ekkostar's Avatar
    The first half of the album is amazing and the second half is WTF happy cheese and why is LIB on the second half anyway? It should be in the same sequence as PDP and OYH! Track sequence qualms aside, I do like most of the album.
    I just wish there was a special edit of White Heat without the film dialog. I tried it myself but it sounded choppy without a bit of instrumental to flow between verses.
    Last edited by Ekkostar; 12-09-2009 at 04:11 PM.

DO KATE BUSH like you promised YOU BASTARD

I have ALWAYS said I was going to do Kate Bush AFTER Madonna THANKS

Oh, I must have missed that. BRAVO

Bush is LOCKED AND LOADED btw, I have all her albums downloaded now

I'm a little disappointed this thread is a FLOP