+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diddy did Eurovision 2009 - The countdown

disco Diddy did Eurovision 2009 - The countdown

Well the 2008 countdown was SUCH a critical success (), I'm SO looking forward to your thoughts on my 2009 chart.

So this was an important contest for me, it unleashed my inner loon. It was the first time I had the full set of songs way ahead of time so I could really get to know them, and it really helped.

I think it also helped that I think 2009 was one of the strongest contests so far, certainly the strongest final I can remember, as the worst of the novelty drek and terrible remainders were eliminated in the semi-final. To highlight that, only 4 of my top 25 didn't qualify for the final, and even THEY aren't that great.

SO LETS GET THIS OUT OF THE WAY

42. Intars Busulis - Probka (Latvia )
    Did not qualify for final, #19 in Semi 2

Oh DEAR... what a fucking MESS. Not only do you get someone who managed to achieve the impossible and look like an even-more-hyperactive Daniel Bedingfield, but the song is beyond awful. It's the shit east-European rock equivalent of one of those bits in teen dramas where someone is having a bad experience with drugs and freaking out.

Does he really shout MY COCK in the song and grab his crotch at the same time? Did I mis-hear?

41. Patrick Ouchčne - Copycat (Belgium )
    Did not qualify for final, #17 in Semi 1

UGH. BAD BELGIUM. Why did anyone think this was any good? A gross old man dressed as Elvis in the most tired cliche way imaginable.

Believe it or not I thought the idea of the song was alright for a while, but it quickly became apparent that it just did NOT work. I really hate how he rolls the sounds too. PLEASE NO.

40. Next Time - Neshto shto ke ostane (Macedonia )
    Did not qualify for final, #10 in Semi 1

If Jedward were into The Darkness, I can imagine this sort of TOOT coming out. Such a shame, these twins might look half decent with a haircut invented after 1986. Maybe Macedonia might make it past a semi-final if they tried a musical sound invented after 1986 too. SNOOZE

39. The Toppers - Shine (Netherlands )
    Did not qualify for final, #17 in Semi 2

2009 really wasn't a vintage year for the Low Countries. While this is about 10x better than the Belgiamese effort, and it COULD have worked maybe, it ended up making me want to claw my own eyes out before the end.

If it wasn't enough to deal with that it's so gay I can feel my skin turning orange, it's fronted by Holland's sparkly male version of Loose Women. The fat lady sang, but it still carried on

38. Gipsy.cz - Aven Romale (Czech Republic )
    Did not qualify for final, #18 in Semi 1

You know, it's a terrible novelty song, but I quite liked the studio version of this for a while. I can't really blame them for going a bit ridiculous after the injustice of last year's non-qualification, but it does feel incredibly try-hard.

There is a catchy novelty song waiting to get out here, but it's hidden behind the Freddie Mercury superhero crap. The performance was pretty awful, so I'm not exactly lighting a candle for the Czechs, but it felt like it could have been better (which terrible as they were, I can't say for the 4 songs I've already mentioned)

37. Krassimir Avramov - Illusion (Bulgaria )
    Did not qualify for final, #16 in Semi 1

Hmm.. well it seemed to develop a Moopy following after that rather terrifying live performance, but I still don't really see it. The performance does deserve some note though, with a gladiator singing, bum-showing stilt walkers, crazed gypsy fortune tellers and an old lady whose wig only helped to make her look like a Terrahawk.

The studio version was an improvement, it's not THAT bad, reminiscent of the Azerbaijani 2008 entry in parts, but much better. There was a surprisingly expensive-looking epic music video for it too, at least compared to the freakshow they put on stage.

36. Kamil Mikulčík & Nela - Leť tmou (Slovakia )
    Did not qualify for final, #18 in Semi 2

Finally something boring, a big improvement from the aggressively shit tracks so far. Unfortunately, there's not a great deal to it, apart from a few decent moments of harmony (and a few not-so-decent moments too). Not really much to comment on ..

35. Marko Kon and Milaan - Cipela (Serbia )
    Did not qualify for final, #10 in Semi 2

Another novelty one, I did sort of like this for a while, I think at the time I was placing this in the 20's. Again I think it might have been a good song, I like some of the accordian bits, but overall it doesn't do a great deal for me. Of all the quirky songs this year I wouldn't have been too upset had this qualified.

34. Igor Cukrov feat. Andrea - Lijepa Tena (Croatia )
    #18 in Grand Final

Another Balkan out now, and the first grand finalist out of the running. I thought the guy was cute in a stern-eyebrowed Croatian way, waving his arms around like he was trying to perform a magic trick. He managed to make the blonde lady appear, which made a half-decent performance, but not the strongest song this year by a long shot.

33. Sinéad Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et Cetera (Ireland )
    Did not qualify for final, #11 in Semi 2

An improvement on last year at least. Rather brainless generic-o-rama poprock blahfest though, especially for something with a Latin title. Even Bellefire would have turned their noses up at this I'm sure.

A decent song but it's a decent song from about 2003.
    Last edited by Diddy; 18-12-2009 at 10:37 PM.

The Bulgarian performance is a work of ART. Respect it.

Ireland are too low. I love it in a budget Mean Girls sort of a way
    Hey i'm Mollie, i love being a Saturday!! I love New York, going out for breakfast, Jack Wills, Gossip Girl and Nissan Figaros!

Going Blank Again nink in the sink's Avatar
    Before the semi itself I had a lot of time for the Bulgarian entry, it was the Communards gone rustic which can only be a good thing. But the performance was too much of a mess to even come close to qualifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    The Bulgarian performance is a work of ART. Respect it.
    POWERFUL VOX

PLEASING thus far, in that I can't remember ANY of them, aside from De Toppers, rather impossible to forget THAT little number.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

I don't have that much argument so far, I think 'Et Cetera' should be a tad higher, and that Latvia wasn't QUITE the worst thing at Eurovision, but relatively speaking these are just niggles.
    You are a depraved bird of hate, get out of my sight!

Shows you how much attention I was paying, I missed Et Cetera, I loved it, I would have it MUCH higher.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

smexy
    As strong as 2009 was overall, there was some real complacent rubbish too - Serbia being a prime example. There was a definite sense of pendulum swinging westwards again.

I had De Toppers in the sweepstake!

All the better to see you with, my dear. Eileen's Avatar
    I thought Cipela was great. It's only a novelty record with the performance. I'd been listening to the studio version for a few months before I saw the actual performance and was surprised at how the band looked.
    Top up, Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I thought Cipela was great. It's only a novelty record with the performance. I'd been listening to the studio version for a few months before I saw the actual performance and was surprised at how the band looked.
    Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it too. It may seem like a low placing but it was a very strong year for me

Everything goes up by six Madison's Avatar
    It's not even my favourite ex-yugolavian entry about shoes.

32. Regina - Bistra voda (Bosnia and Herzegovina )
    #9 in Grand Final

Another Balkan out now, and another finalist. I'm now at that point where I don't really dislike any of the songs. This isn't really my thing but it does have something about it definitely.

A rather flash video with Coldplay costumes and a Soviet kitsch thing going on. The drums are good, and that is a FIERCE finish. Bosnia are above OUTROS

31. Sasha Son - Love (Lithuania )
    #23 in Grand Final

I should probably do a recount here, I think I prefered Bosnia to this. Nonetheless it's not a bad song. The hat was shit but the voice was good. A bit too vocal gymnasticy for my tastes but the tune is pretty solid. WTF was that flaming palm about at the end though?

Lest I forget, one of the least intelligible choruses for a while, just sing a few sentences with every other word replaced with "love". THAT SHOULD DO IT
    Last edited by Diddy; 19-12-2009 at 01:13 PM.

30. Quartissimo feat. Martina - Love Symphony (Slovenia )
    Did not qualify for final, #16 in Semi 2

Another Balkan out ... now I guess an instrumental track is a different idea, except, uhmm.. it's not allowed. So I know, let's tack a song onto the second half. Much better.

I just don't get why they thought the instrumental stuff would be good enough that they included as little singing as possible, when it was clear to me that the woman who only got 45 seconds of screentime was by MILES the best bit.

SILLY SLOVENIANS

29. Petr Elfimov - Eyes That Never Lie (Belarus )
    Did not qualify for final, #13 in Semi 1

Not really sure about this one, the guy's voice is pretty strong and in tune. Belarus went a bit old skool last year with a turn of the 00s europop track, but now they've receded into this rather dramatic rock stuff that I don't really remember ever being that good.

It sounds like the soundtrack to a Vegas magic show to me, but nonetheless I still think it's a half-decent track. Needs a haircut though.

28. Lidia Kopania - I Don't Wanna Leave (Poland )
    Did not qualify for final, #12 in Semi 2

After a flop with a ballad in 2008 (though still a qualifying flop) with dear Isis Gee, this was a little doomed as it's pretty much in the same template (mid 90's ballad) but just isn't as good.

Don't get me wrong, it's a pretty enough song, but doesn't have much of a hook to it

27. Andrea Demirović - Just Get Out of My Life (Montenegro )
    Did not qualify for final, #11 in Semi 1

Oh god love them, this was pretty craptacular. I agree with the result, I put them just outside my ideal final too. The song is a bit of a ripoff of that Ashlee Simpson song, mixed with some endearingly iffy English and a sort-of-hot John Travola dancer.

I loved the Moscow show, but the stage was a bit too big for this one, just two people - one of which was air-humping for a decent portion of their time.

26. Soraya Arnelas - La noche es para mí (Spain )
    #23 in Grand Final

You turncoats, Moopy. I remember this being an early favourite with a lot of you, and did well in the Big Four rankings at the time. But when it came to it, it just didn't quite happen.

It's a decent enough song, certainly going for the Eastern vote with the instrumentation. She looks great, the chorus is pretty catchy. I don't know what's missing really though. On the night, I guess it was votes.

25. Noa and Mira Awad - There Must Be Another Way (Israel )
    #16 in Grand Final

Another year, another anti-war song from Israel. Still, I've heard worse. It seemed a bit old fashioned, but in a good way. It's quite folky and flows nicely from verse to chorus.

Hebrew is such an interesting sound language too, as I found with Boaz. They just looked so pleased to be there too, God love them.

24. Susanne Georgi - La teva decisió (Get a Life) (Andorra )
    Did not qualify for final, #15 in Semi 1

OK first of the songs I would have preferred to see in the final. I'm not too cut up about it but it's Andorra, they need someone to give them a break.

So flame-haired Susanne gave it her best with a rather jaunty pop-rock sort of thing, much more successfully than Ireland managed at least. What a big smile though, she looked like Geri's aunt or something.

'There Must Be Another Way' has become one of my faves, I also love the sound of the Hebrew language (possibly more than any other Eurovision language) and yeah it's a bit sappy, but so what?

23. Flor-de-Lis - Todas as ruas do amor (Portugal )
    #15 in Grand Final

Oh bless them, wasn't this sweet? Acoustic ballad time in Tellytubby land, sung by Vânia Fernandes's more friendly little sister (at least in my head). Completely endearing and lovely, getting a reasonable result in the final. Lovely.
    Last edited by Diddy; 19-12-2009 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrooge View Post
    'There Must Be Another Way' has become one of my faves, I also love the sound of the Hebrew language (possibly more than any other Eurovision language) and yeah it's a bit sappy, but so what?
    Absolutely. It's nice to be able to make those sort of UCHHHH noises without having to cough something up.

22. Hadise - Düm Tek Tek (Turkey )
    #4 in Grand Final

Time to lose one of the top 5 finishers now, with perennial high-achievers Turkey. Before the contest this was one of my favourites, and I still think it's a good song with a killer chorus. But the actual performance sort of ruined it a bit for me, she was totally off-key and it just all felt a bit weak. Shame, but it's still a good song.

21. Chiara - What If We (Malta )
    #22 in Grand Final

Here we are again, my secret favourite Eurovision country in as far as I really want them to win it one year. I think they would be really grateful for it, and maybe I could visit there again and have a great time, and ALL WILL BE WELL AGAIN.

So now bit fat winker Chiara returned for another bite of the Eurovision cherry (and anything else laying around) after nearly winning the 2005 contest. It's a nice enough song, feels well produced and was a good shot, but for some reason it didn't QUITE make it. Again I'm not quite sure what happened, but I hope she's not too disheartened.

I just can't listen to this without thinking of Suomi's vision of Chiara's life post-ESC

right, that's your lot for now, more tonight!

All the better to see you with, my dear. Eileen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unmadison View Post
    It's not even my favourite ex-yugolavian entry about shoes.
    I'm guessing yours is Moja Stikla.
    Top up, Sue?

I found out yesterday that a girl I used to work with placed 8th in Malta's song for europe this year... must have felt so futile being in the competition knowing she was there.

Though to give her credit, Chiara was great, the song was just a bit rubbish.

I've just Youtubed Angel for the first time, what a great song
    I really want Malta to win No wonder they sent her though, they needed to reverse their fortunes somehow. I'm sure I read somewhere that they are the most successful ESC-nation never to win. Coming dead last in 2006 after coming 2nd in 2005 must have been a slap in the face...

Everything goes up by six Madison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I'm guessing yours is Moja Stikla.
    Africa paprika!