+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diddy's Top 50 of 2009

disco Diddy's Top 50 of 2009

GOD WILL I NEVER STOP WITH THESE INCESSANT LISTS?

Well I finally made it, unless the greatest masterpiece of all time comes along now I think I'm pretty settled on my favourites of the year.

All things considered it's been pretty GREAT. Album-wise it's been a bit gash but electro-pop completely took over this time, which is better than no pop at all. I know it's been simmering for a while, but La Gaga led the charge and made this the most year for me since oooh.... 2002?

ANYWAY LET'S GET IT OVER WITH

50. Ami Suzuki - Reincarnation

OK a bit of J-pop to start, don't worry that's the last of it. I've been a bit lax on the J-pop front, but learning the language has really got my tastebuds tingling for some more in OH TEN.

Nonetheless, HenZ hooked me up with this rather track by Ami, who I had not heard of before. I love that stuttering intro, turning into full-on dance amazingness after the first minute or so. Love it!

Watch Ami Suzuki - Reincarnation in Music  |  View More Free Videos Online at Veoh.com

Why is this not called DIDDY DOES 2009? Is it a conscious rebrand after that thread about you fucking animals?

49. Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
    From the album Only by the night

What's this? Penises in a Diddy countdown? Can this BE? Well I got all credible for the followup to OOOOOUUGHHHHH, your SEX is on FIYAAAAAA. I must admit I was a bit slow with this one, the Brits performance really helped. I don't know, this isn't normally my thing to be honest, I'm sure that's not a big surprise.

Wonderful what a few haircuts can do isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by TurnerPrize View Post
    Why is this not called DIDDY DOES 2009? Is it a conscious rebrand after that thread about you fucking animals?
    I can change it, I just thought people were getting sick of it?

Use Somebody is fantastic, it was one of the 'nearly' tracks in my list.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

48. Saint Etienne - Method Of Modern Love
    From the album London conversations

Another flash of credibility from me, it's all very unsettling. Another one I could have missed, it was hardly a super-sized hit, but it is a lovely lush piece of pop. I can't say I know a LOT of the ET, I loved He's on the phone, and The Riddle (god, that was 10 years ago).

PRETTY

Use Somebody is fucking lovely.

I quite like that Saint Etienne song too. Are they famous in anyway? They seem to have been around for ever yet only exist on the internet.

THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Agnetha's Avatar
    They were top 40 REGULARS in the early/ mid 90s.

47. Sugababes - Get Sexy
    From the album Sweet 7

Oh well it couldn't last could it? So a total hot mess to continue with now, with the final Sugababes with QUICHE.

A LOT of discussion was made on how terrible this all was and how the Sugababes as a brand were ruined now. But you know what? I don't give even a tiny little shit, I am flighty and disloyal with artists, and I just want the songs. This is generic as hell, but it's a ridiculous fun pop song.

The video was beyond cheap, apart from that half-decent bit at the end, and the glowing eyes bit. I do worry about their futures, but then I'm sure I'll get over it.

FUCK OFF

OT: I do like that my ten thousandth post was probably my most succinct.

46. Mini Viva - Left My Heart in Tokyo

So in Girls Aloud's absence, Xenomania's creative juices had to go somewhere, and happily this little gem popped out. It was a bit of a slower burner, but just has something oddly low-budget but great about it.

Obviously I love everything Tokyo, and I'm sure going there in August may have propped up this song's appeal a bit. SICK SICK SICK SICK

OT: I do like that my ten thousandth post was probably my most succinct.
    I DON'T LIKE IT. I hope the next 10,000 aren't so full of MALICE towards me

45. Chris Brown ft Lil Wayne - I can transform ya
    From the album Graffiti

Oh now Sugababes were one thing but I KNOW I won't have people on-side for this one.

I just have this odd fixation for expensive looking (and sounding) urban music. Chris Brown I really started to like last year, with Forever being a bit of a FAVE at the time.

Of course, since then it has gone to shit, what with him beating up Rihanna and making her music all 'dark' and uninteresting. Well much as I hate him for that, I have grown rather obsessed with this one. The video is MEGABUCKS, and that cybertron sound effect through the middle of this song just really sticks in my head.

YAY for Get Sexy, I love it.

44. Cheryl Cole ft will.i.am - 3 Words
    From the album 3 Words

A late entry now, I'm not sure how much I like this. Certainly much more serious and interesting than I thought she would go on her album. It's a bit sparse and strange, with rather ropey vocals from both parties.

But that VIDEO is just incredible, whoever put that together needs some sort of award, it's totally mesmerising. The song builds up into a rather beat, it's just all very strange and I think I love it.

43. Pussycat Dolls & A R Rahman - Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny)
    From the album Doll Domination

JAI HOOOO. Oh lord, why do I like this so much? I'm quite tolerant of the old PCD (or what's left of them now), I think they've had a pretty solid selection of singles that will end up with a pretty good GH at the end of the day (provided they make it that far).

I didn't love Slumdog that much, it was alright, but this sort of tie-in just makes perfect sense now. I really love this, it's pretty dancey compared to some of their efforts, with that Bollywood tinge to it. Lovely

Stand Up is better, but 3 Words really is amazing.

42. Alesha Dixon - To love again
    From the album The Alesha Show

Another late entry too, and on paper I'm finding it hard to see why I like this. It's a pretty standard Barlow ballad, and Alesha's not exactly a phenomal voice or anything. The advert for the single even seems to make more of the orchestral swell at the end than her vocals!

But I think it's a rather lovely little ballad despite her shortcomings as a singer. Barlow certainly knows how to write a song. That big finale really is GORGE

This is all looking rather familiar

moopy

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I DON'T LIKE IT. I hope the next 10,000 aren't so full of MALICE towards me
    It was more towards the downgrading of the sugababes. Apologies though, i'm totally hormonal or whatever excuse boys can use for being a cranky cunt tonight.

Jai Ho is 10/10 for me. It's an easy, stolen hit though.

41. Sugababes - About a girl
    From the album Sweet 7

Right, time for the 'babes to get lost now, and to play them out the "Sluts from hell" (a great description of their album cover) are going all 90s on us. It's totally stuck in the past, but that chorus is pretty amazing.

What the fuck was that video about? I've seen it about 5 times now and I still don't really GET IT. Much as I liked Keisha (hate Amelle), it's nice to see Jade coming good in the end, and I hope this new 'sexy' image is going to give her a chance to do some decent big ballads. I doubt it though

It was more towards the downgrading of the sugababes. Apologies though, i'm totally hormonal or whatever excuse boys can use for being a cranky cunt tonight.

Jai Ho is 10/10 for me. It's an easy, stolen hit though.
    I always tell the people at work it must be a full moon or something. MY WATERS ARE ALL IMBALANCED *flips table over*

The About A Girl video is fantastic, especially the girl who was obviously meant to be Quiche.

40. Ciara & Justin Timberlake - Love Sex Magic
    From the album Fantasy ride

What a totally OTT intro love it. But then that irresistible beat kicks in and it just never gives up until the end, awesome.

Ciara can be a bit hit and miss but I love the old giantess crazy-legs, and naturally JT is gorgeous as ever. That chorus is just catchy as hell .... OHHHH!

39. Dizzee Rascal - Holiday
    From the album Tongue 'n' cheek

Another bit of an oddball as far as my stereotyped tastes go (I'm not just doing this for the sake of it, mind). I used to HATE Dizzee but he has shown promise with good material, Lucky Star with the wonderful Basement Jaxx for starters.

To be honest mostly it's the production that goes on around him that I like, but whatever. I tend to lag about 4 months behind his singles, so I ended up loving this about 2 months ago, hot on the heels of the catchy Bonkers. That chorus is great though, love it, but that acceleration at the end is just ... amazing

SHAKE IT LIKE SHKODRAN Apocalypt_flyer's Avatar
    AMAZING TRACK
    Nothing to see here MOVE ALONG.

38. Sakis Rouvas - This Is Our Night
    From the album This is our night

First of the Eurovision tracks now. As you may have noticed, I totally got into it this year, and I think it was a great strong selection of tracks this time around.

This is probably a bit crap, but it was a spectacular performance by the Greeks, even if his vocals were pretty craptacular. This was one of my early favourites, I may have been hoping this would win at one point. Anyway, love it.

SHAKE IT LIKE SHKODRAN Apocalypt_flyer's Avatar
    NOT AN AMAZING TRACK FROM EMBARRASSING UNCLE DANCING AT A WEDDING.
    Nothing to see here MOVE ALONG.

37. The Saturdays - Work
    From the album Chasing lights

Now for my (second) favourite hot mess of a girlband. It was looking all so promising in March when they nearly got that elusive No.1, but since then it all seems to have turned to dogshit, with this great little pop track flopping hard and the follow up album pursuing the same path.

Not much to comment on really, just a pretty standard 'sassy' girlband track with a killer chorus, WORK WORK

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypt_flyer View Post
    NOT AN AMAZING TRACK FROM EMBARRASSING UNCLE DANCING AT A WEDDING.
    Embarrassing hot uncle at a wedding

Well Sakis and Dizzee are 2 I don't have to worry about cropping up in mine

36. Shakira - She Wolf
    From the album She Wolf

OK Moopy, time to get you back on-side. Colombian mentalist Shakira made a very welcome return this year, but I'm sure most people can be forgiven for thinking this song was called AWOOO for all the focus that got. UGH. But at least people had a hook and she got a hit.

Though that said, the wolf noises are fantastic. I didn't really get into this when it first leaked, but it revealed itself to be a rather fantastic disco spazzout. The video is brilliant too, god love her.

35. Frankmusik - 3 Little Words
    From the album Complete me

Poor flopping Frank. Even roping in the amazing Holly Valance for a pretend relationship with high-kick benefits didn't help. But I still love one of the first songs I heard of his right at the start of the year.

This is a pretty lush electro spazzfest, impossible to sing along to, but fun all the same.

34. Lily Allen - Not Fair
    From the album It's not me, it's you

2009 saw the return of Lily with a rather wonderful album. This track really stood out for me when I first heard it but I hadn't really pegged it as a single. But it makes total sense now and I love it. That sort of country-tinged thing about it really works, even if the thing was bleeped to fuck on the radio.

33. Black Eyed Peas - I gotta feeling
    From the album The E.N.D.

First draft of this chart had this in the top 20, along with Boom Boom Pow in the top 50 - for some reason my fondess for them has totally collapsed lately, possibly down to biblical levels of overexposure (and Meet me halfway being gash no matter how hard I try).

Still, retarded as this is, it's a really crowd-pleasing great pop song, probably the most easily accessible they've ever been. I'm sure I will always like it quite a lot, but just not right now thanks.

She Wolf was like my favourite song of ALL TIME for the night it leaked where i must have played it about 50 times.

But then i got bored and have since only heard it by accident when out and about.

32. Michael Jackson - Man in the mirror
    From the album Bad

OK a bit of a cheat, but honestly can most of you not hear this song again and instantly associate it with summer 2009? I never really had much of an impression of this song, but months of radio play has really got me into it.

As much a soundtrack to a period of this year as anything, I can feel it now that it's just going to be one of those songs that will transport me back to my 2009 life whenever I hear it. It's a shame that it took his death for people to really find their way back to MJ after all the problems he had been having, but I guess it's just one of those things. No matter who will be the artist of the year, it really was the summer of MJ.

31. Pixie Lott - Boys and girls
    From the album Turn it up

Oh now I will get some stick for this I KNOW. I was one of the mob when Mama Do came out that was all "WHO IS SHE? I can't even HUM her song", not helped by her stupid face.

But after the dust settled, what I had pegged as a rather automatic #1 followup (though those sort of things don't really happen anymore do they?) turned out to be a rather amazing pop song. I don't deny it's generic as hell but that chorus really is infectious, I love it.