COMING SOON GUYS

I'm currently trudging through her EPONYMOUS 1988 album

YAY, looking forward to this especially when you do "Rhythm Of Love"
    And if we stay together
    We'll feel the rhythm of the evening taking us up high
    Never mind the weather
    We'll be dancing in the street until the morning light

Huzzah!

Yo Diddy, whaddup with that one boy girl THANG?
    Hey go get the doctor
    Doctor came too late...

Oh this should be good, well once you hit Rhythm of Love onwards anyway.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Andricicle View Post
    Huzzah!

Yo Diddy, whaddup with that one boy girl THANG?
    Pardon me?

I need an URBAN TRANSLATION

moopy

You're not really starting in a good place with that Joker picture, are you? You horrid boy.

That photo never gets old
    MOTIV8 VOCAL SLAM

Just ask Mo!
    It's quite scary to think she looks more like a wax work model in Madame Tussauds than the actual models.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Pardon me?

I need an URBAN TRANSLATION
    You'll get it when you get to the end of Rhythm of Love. Or IF you get there, as I believe the filler tracks on the first two albums (neither of which I own) are quite the challenge...
    Hey go get the doctor
    Doctor came too late...

I want to be Queen of the USA POP!'s Avatar
    Enjoy Yourself is a GREAT POP ALBUM

The debut, outside of the singles and "Turn It Into Love" which is absolutely glorious, is filler central
    Last edited by POP!; 03-07-2010 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by POP! View Post
    Enjoy Yourself is a GREAT POP ALBUM

The debut, outside of the singles and "Turn It Into Love" which is absolutely glorious, is filler central
    100% FACTUAL

It may seem like crappy fluff as it was rushed out and has tat like "Tears On My Pillow" on it, but of the non-singles, the title track and the IMMENSE "I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)" are still amongst my very favourite Kylie tracks. That moment in the Smiley Kylie medley in the Showgirl show where they chucked in that line from the song had me and my friend going completely APESHIT

Nothing To Lose ain't bad either (though it actually probably is) and I can certainly tolerate Tell Tale Signs for some reason.
    Last edited by Christian; 04-07-2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: You're STRINGING me ALONG

Kylie and Enjoy Yourself are 11/10 masterpieces and don't you all forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    100% FACTUAL

It may seem like crappy fluff as it was rushed out and has tat like "Tears On My Pillow" on it, but of the non-singles, the title track and the IMMENSE "I'm Over Dreaming (Over You)" are still amongst my very favourite Kylie tracks. That moment in the Smiley Kylie medley in the Showgirl show where they chucked in that line from the song had me and my friend going completely APESHIT

Nothing To Lose ain't bad either (though it actually probably is) and I can certainly tolerate Tell Tale Signs for some reason.
    But you're forgetting (or maybe you just think it's total shit) the monumental "Heaven and Earth", the only rotten song on the album for me is the cheapy "My Secret Heart" which has aged worse than a moldy strawberry.

I LOVE Nothing To Lose.

OK let's get this show on the road then.

Kylie Kylie Kylie... where do I start? My relationship with her is totally different to that of the artists I have "done" before. I was aware of Tori but never quite got around to being a fan. Madonna was a familiar name but it wasn't until I was about 18 that I really explored her music. I knew next-to-nothing about Kate Bush.

My first memory of Kylie, as I recounted recently, was at the age of 5. In Year 1 we had to write about our weekends and ask the teacher to spell out any difficult words in a spelling book. I was a good speller as a kid, but for one reason or another I wanted to write about KYLIE. Poor Madge (the Shrek-like teaching assistant) didn't know about this BUZZ ARTIST, so I have a book in the loft with CAILIE MANOGE written in it.

Bottom line is, as long as I remembered music, there was Kylie. I may not have really appreciated her between the ages of 9 and 16, but now is the time to compensate by visiting each of her albums in turn. I'll give each album a week or two or rotation before I pass my judgement.

And I'll start with 1988's "Kylie" tonight . Give it about an hour..

So you only know the hits, I presume? Hopefully it will be an exciting catalog to explore though, when I first really got into Kylie a few years ago I had her albums on repeat for months and months. I went off her slightly after X wrapped but Aphrodite has got me loving her as much as ever.
    Last edited by POP!; 17-07-2010 at 10:15 PM.

To quote Yazz (and indeed Kylie) The Only Way Is Up, thankfully.
    Last edited by Johnkm; 17-07-2010 at 10:16 PM.

Super talented triple threat Ellie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VoR View Post
    I LOVE Nothing To Lose.
    I remember making our own music video to it on our landing when I was 8 years old I pray to God that tape doesn't still exist.
    Last edited by Ellie; 17-07-2010 at 10:21 PM.

'Kylie' is a FAR FAR FAR better album than "Enjoy Yourself" It doesn't have the stinking turds "My Secret Heart", "Heaven And Earth" and "Tears On My Pillow" for a start!
    Last edited by Edward; 17-07-2010 at 10:43 PM.

A little bit of filler and a lack of soul

RIGHT. I wasn't really looking forward to these first few albums, obviously the SAW sound is a mixed blessing, responsible for some amazing pop songs, but also some rather drippily generic GUFF. Which is as good a description as any of what I thought would be waiting for me on the first album. LET'S SEE SHALL WE?

09 I should be so lucky - Well no introduction needed here. You know, this hasn't really aged as badly as I imagined. The video probably doesn't help its cause, but stripped of that, it's quite a lovely little pop song. Wouldn't really work in any other context I think, it's just a pop moment that's permanently sealed to Year Zero Kylie. I did NOT like that shitty ironic jazz version business she wheeled out in later years. Which is a shame, since she will never perform it QUITE like this ever again.

06 The Locomotion - I always thought THIS was the first single .. oh well never mind. I don't know QUITE what's different between this and ISBSL, but this really is a little lacking. Sort of makes me at "A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul". I mean it's a fine song, but I'm not in a great rush to repeat it.

07 Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi - Now this is a bit more like it, and a single that I vividly remember listening to in my sister's bedroom. Odd that she was into this, she liked Bryan Adams and Voice of the Beehive. Nostalgia is kicking in here clearly, but it's thankfully a less cheesy track if a little repetitive.

07 It's no secret - Oh you bastard men, what have you done to poor Kylie 1.0? I haven't worked out quite how this song is pitched, it's a bit victimy, but I think the bottom like is "You are a massive twat". Again, nice enough track for the most part, not particularly standout. Until a rather lovely middle 8 with a gorgeous little shimmery synth pipe-organ THING, I love that

06 Got to be certain - God knows how this career got off the ground when you follow up ISBSL with this and Locomotion. I mean again, it's difficult to dislike it, especially as none of these tracks are particularly long. It's a pretty basic song lyrically, as well as musically.

10 Turn it into love - NOW we are getting somewhere. Finally the SAW shackles feel a little looser, and a much more interesting track. I didn't know this until the Showgirl CD gave a little flash of it during another song. Feels like it has some emotional DEPTH to it, and a musically just comes out a lot more interesting. TUURN it into love and OOOPEN up your heart and you'll NEEEVER feel ASHAMED if you TURN IT TURN IT TURN IT INTO LOOOOOVE. Wonderful.

06 I miss you - Oh well, we had to come down at some point didn't we? A bit of a trotted out blahfest, sounds like it's trying to be a True Blue track, but sadly falls rather far off the mark. I won't be too harsh, but I'm eyeing up the skip button about now.

06 I'll still be loving you - Maybe I'm just tired, but this is a bloody drag isn't it? No seriously, a tough one to get through. That brief middle 8 is the only thing keeping it from a 5 I think. Reminds me of some 80s Anime theme tune or something.

06 Look my way - God, I know what you mean about the album tracks. Still, this has a bit of a different angle to it, still far enough away from R'n'B that it would probably need to send a postcard, but at least it breaks the album up a bit. The arrangement is alright but there's nothing too much exciting going on.

08 Love at first sight - Sadly, not THAT one. Cheesetastic from the outset, but I rather like this. Generic as fuck, but very PEPPY. I hate to bring old Marge into this, but reminiscent of Love makes the world go round, or some of the happier bits of True Blue at least. That's not a bad thing in my book, fortunately. La La La-la La La Laaa etc. Hang on, did I hear that, or am I just remembering Love makes the world go round? ... well it could USE it. A nice end to the album.

So that's one of the early hurdles over with, I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking the earlier albums would be the hardest ones to get through. But one down... and it wasn't THAT bad. Sitting here concentrating on them was much tougher than just having them on in the background certainly. I doubt they were meant to be artistically rich or anything, but for pop songs, especially 22-year-old ones, a good few of them stand up pretty well.

Keepers for the iPod: Probably just I Should Be So Lucky and Turn It Into Love.

Up Next: Enjoy Yourself

grin

09 I should be so lucky I did NOT like that shitty ironic jazz version business she wheeled out in later years. Which is a shame, since she will never perform it QUITE like this ever again.
    Except she's done it twice in the last five years.

And for the record, "Locomotion" is her first PROPER single but "I Should Be So Lucky" was her first UK single which was followed here by a re-recorded SAW version (of her debut Australian release), "The Loco-Motion".
    Last edited by Edward; 17-07-2010 at 11:33 PM.

mad

And Diddy, you are quite clearly bonkers for being cold on "Got To Be Certain".
    Last edited by Edward; 17-07-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Except she's done it twice in the last five years.
    I mean in cheesetastic mode, did she do it OLD SKOOL?

I can't imagine that really being ON MESSAGE for BRAND KYLIE these days

I mean in cheesetastic mode, did she do it OLD SKOOL?

I can't imagine that really being ON MESSAGE for BRAND KYLIE these days

Last edited by Edward; 17-07-2010 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    And Diddy, you are quite clearly bonkers for being cold on "Got To Be Certain".
    THIS.

But otherwise I agree.

*EDITED AS EDWARD HAS ALREADY POSTED THE VIDEO I POSTED.*

The very first jazz version of "...Lucky" from Intimate & Live was amazing though, and a pivotal point in her career as it marked the birth of the Showgirl. She'd run away from that song for so long and it was really cool to see her embrace it, even in an ironic way. It was also way before every fucker performed jazz versions of early hits they didn't want to sing anymore.

Last edited by RobotBoy; 17-07-2010 at 11:25 PM.

She's actually sung it in the cheesy on-record way in her last three tours. I really don't want to hear it again on the "Aphrodite" tour.

Quote Originally Posted by RobotBoy View Post
    It was also way before every fucker performed jazz versions of early hits they didn't want to sing anymore.
    Yes and that's precisely why it gets a bad rap when looked at in hindsight by people who did not attend the shows because they lump it together with all the other jazz reworkings that were all the rage in the past decade.

The truth of the matter is that the audience loved it and so did the critics at the time.

I for some reason VASTLY prefer the 7" Mix of "The Loco-Motion", much more FUN and JOYFUL, I feel. The original "Locomotion" which was released only in Australia and a few small countries as her first single is fucking dreadful, though it was not produced by SAW like the re-recorded version that is on the album.

Original "Locomotion"

You really should give "Got to Be Certain" another chance though, it took me awhile to warm up to it, it's got loads and loads of charm, and those pre-chorus bits where she sings "I know you'll wait for me-OH-OOO-OOH-OOO-OOOOOOOOH!" or "won't you just wait for MEEEEEEEEEEE" is tremendous.

Very pleased that you love "Turn It Into Love", it's indeed very special.

I loved Got To Be Certain since I first heard it on TOTP. I think it was the special video she made in Melbourne.

I wouldn't be too worried about the remainder of the SAW albums, although Enjoy Yourself is admittedly quite dated it's got plenty of pop gems mixed in with the few rotten ones, and the singles off that album are superior IMO to the 'Kylie' ones. And fans generally adore Rhythm of Love anyway, many likable and matured pop tracks on there.

Let's Get To It is a bit shit though, it's listenable but very dry, the second half is better than the first though.

Id hate to have a kid like me! Slave's Avatar
    I have to say it, the sample of 'The Only Way Is Up' that she stuck into the intro of the Showgirl:Homecoming performance is my favourite Kylie moment EVER. What a fucking FANTASTIC vocal, it sends shivers down my spine EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi is also a towering work of majesty, not least because of the acting in the extended version of the video!

Last edited by RobotBoy; 17-07-2010 at 11:51 PM.

Id hate to have a kid like me! Slave's Avatar
    I don't mind early-Kylie in dribs and drabs but altogether it's a bit MUCH. The first disc of 'Ultimate Kylie' is just a bit TOO samey for my liking.

It's ridiculous just how many edits (versions) of the "Got To Be Certain" video there are in existence. Three at the last count!

Original:

Altrnative edit:

Alternate video:

Last edited by Edward; 17-07-2010 at 11:53 PM.

I always wonder where they got these extra "dancers" for videos like that. The man in Sonia's 'You'll Never Stop Me From Loving You' video for instance looked like some bloke they hauled in from a bus stop at the last minute.

All the early vieos were shot in Australia weren't they? I know "Wouldn't Change A Thing" was the first one to be filmed in London.
    Last edited by Edward; 18-07-2010 at 12:29 AM.

I LOVE Got To Be Certain and Je Ne Sais Pas. Especially for the hilariously shameless vocal cut and paste jobs where half the notes are BLATANTLY not by Kylie.

"IIII
    III'M
    WONDERING WH *Kylie vocal audibly cuts out*
    "YYYYYYYYYYYY" *Miriam stockley takes it to the streets.

And even moreso on Got To Be Certain with the 'Glory note' which sounds NOTHING LIKE HER.