+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Diddy did Eurovision 2007 - The countdown

disco Diddy did Eurovision 2007 - The countdown

HELLO, as you can see I have been trying to continue my Eurovision education by going back through each year's contests and giving them a good GOING OVER as I now seem to do quite regularly.

I said before that 2007 wasn't a vintage year, and while I don't think it measures up to the three years after it, it wasn't all bad. A little short on classics but I managed. I watched the show DVD last weekend and while the semi-final was a mission, the grand final was a very entertaining romp, as well as one of the more exciting results sections (defused somewhat by my knowing the result already).

So are you ready for the first 22? I'll do the rest tomorrow

42. Kabát - Malá dáma (Czech Republic )
    Did not qualify, #28 in Semi-final

So some rather GRUFF rock to start off, rather predictable in this post-Lordi contest. I sort of like the first 10 seconds, but it goes quickly downhill after that point. Not really much else I can say about it, those rather weird 'harmonies' are quite horrible, sounds like some sort of MONSTER.

41. Dragonfly ft Dado Topić - Vjerujem u ljubav (Croatia )
    Did not qualify, #16 in Semi-final

What's this, tedious crap from a Balkan country? The only surprise here is that it didn't smehow qualify, though to give credit the qualifiers weren't too bad in 2007 (albeit with a few notable absences). So here we are with a rather featureless rocky toilet-break tuneage.

It does perk up a little towards to the end when the vocals get more animated, but it's too little too late.

40. Frederik Ndoci - Hear My Plea (Albania )
    Did not qualify, #17 in Semi-final

God I'll be glad to get past this bottom 10, some incredibly dreary stuff going on here and this is no exception. I had hoped that being sung in English would help compared to the two tracks I've talked about already, but it doesn't.

I'm glad there is now a slight reduction in these sort of OTT Mediterranean ballads that feel like pulling teeth. His voice is alright, but the song is just painful.

If 'Ven A Bailar Conmigo' is anywhere near the top I am going to conduct a hate campaign against Diddy.

And probably Madison, just because.
    You are a depraved bird of hate, get out of my sight!

39. Eric Papilaya - Get a Life - Get Alive (Austria )
    Did not qualify, #27 in Semi-final

Oh I'm just never satisfied am I? Something a bit more uptempo and mainstream but this isn't quite what I was after. In fact it's difficult for me to put my finger on quite what I don't like about this as it's a pretty standard pop song, even if it's got more of a rocky leaning that the 2007 contest seems infused with.

The performance didn't really change my mind either, very generic.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If 'Ven A Bailar Conmigo' is anywhere near the top I am going to conduct a hate campaign against Diddy.

What do you have against that? Well these days I now fully expect you to hate everything I post in here so BOTHERD

38. Stevan Faddy - 'Ajde, kroči (Montenegro )
    Did not qualify, #22 in Semi-final

Can't really complain about more rock from Montenegro since that seems to be what they would do anyway, Lordi or not. Doesn't mean it's any good though, in fact the only reason it wasn't lower is that rather memorable chorus that rhymes kroči with scotchy (or some Montenegrin variant). Not a beautiful language really, but at least he looked quite happy about it.

Everything goes up by six Madison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David

I think Diddy's doing us proud.

Austria, Montenegro and Czech Republic are already out.

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust
    And weep for those who trusted you.

37. Marija - Rijeka bez imena (Bosnia and Herzegovina )
    #11 in Grand Final

First finalist out of the picture now, with basically a nicer version of the Albania's entry (i.e. has a nice lady singing). Doesn't stop it being terminally boring, aside from the disgusting pine tree dress.

It has a nice instrumental part and the last minute is alright but I just don't CARE.

I'm assuming everyone will inexplicably round on me now, as she is some never-mentioned fan favourite or something

36. Teapacks - Push the Button (Israel )
    Did not qualify, #24 in Semi-final

Heh ... yeah, well a deviation from the usual anti-war songs that make their way into Eurovision, but not exactly what I had in mind. Was this the one that was booed? I seem to remember there being some controversy but the DVD left me none the wiser (despite the high sound levels on the audience).

Anyway an impressive catalogue of languages delivered rapid-fire, but still it all makes me want to roll my eyes, I'm sure they all think they are very clever. The French entry made me feel the same but I at least liked the song more.

She's not a favourite of mine, but to have it below the likes of 'Vampires Are Alive', 'Drama Queen' and the two songs with the word 'Conmigo' is a tad offensive to me.

35. Roger Cicero - Frauen regier'n die Welt (Germany )
    #19 in Grand Final

Nothing like a bit of German Big Band music is there? Just as well really because I hate Big Band on the best of days. The switch in language is at least a bit of a change, and I am quite fond of the German language.

I don't think I want to ask what this is about, considering the only bits I can understand are about "Posh and Beckham", so I imagine it's all quite naff. I'll go on in (not very) blissful ignorance I think.

She's not a favourite of mine, but to have it below the likes of 'Vampires Are Alive', 'Drama Queen' and the two songs with the word 'Conmigo' is a tad offensive to me.
    Hmm interesting! Let's see what you make of the rest of my countdown then!

34. DJ Bobo - Vampires Are Alive (Switzerland )
    Did not qualify, #20 in Semi-final

Well you can't blame the Swiss for sending a big act (at least on the Continent), and it could potentially have been quite a good idea (see Finland 2009). But no, it's about vampires, so we have to put up with some utter nonsense lyrics.

I thought it was rather odd that they stacked the stage with mannekins too, not really in keeping with the message about being alive. A bit of a generic Euro-dance track circa 2002, with a bit of John Williams and a finish that feels more like a car stalling to a halt. Maybe one year they will get it right.

33. The KMG's - Love Power (Belgium )
    Did not qualify, #26 in Semi-final

UGH I've done 9 songs and we are STILL in the shit. Well as a pop song I suppose it's alright but this faux-70s groove shit just isn't any good. It's not really my thing at the best of times, but imitations of it somehow turn about 5 times more irritating.

I wished it coming third-last in the semi would have got Belgium's act together, I suppose O Julissi was quite sweet though. JUST TRY HARDER BELGIAMESE PEOPLE

The mannequins were dreadful.

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust

The whole Bobo concept was DIRE, I can't believe anyone considered it as having a chance.

32. The Jet Set - Time To Party (Poland )
    Did not qualify, #14 in Semi-final

YACK, at least it feels more modern, in fact there are some flashes that sound very similar to Fergie's Fergalicious. Believe it or not they are the better bits. The rather lumbering chorus isn't great though, sounding dated but not from any particular period. Poland have certainly done better since *gets woman in headlock*

And surely the Armenian entry must be soon, it's not really any better than the Albanian

It had a nicer language

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust

And a tree

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust

Still a dirge which makes me want to harm rodents like dimabilangay

31. Anonymous - Salvem el món (Andorra )
    Did not qualify, #12 in Semi-final

I dimly remember this from watching it in 2007, sort of a Andorran McFly. It sounds pretty generic but alright while they sing in Catalan, but it takes a rather strange turn once the English kicks in. What an odd accent, sounds very English in a sort of dreary school band kind of way.

It's not an awful song, musically it's nice enough and I rather like the last 30 seconds. Though why do you do the 1..2...1...2...1.2.3.4 as the last bit of the song?

Actually I'll stop there, I'll do another 10 or 15 tonight

30. Bonaparti.lv - Questa notte (Latvia )
    #16 in Grand Final

Sadly we still have some dreary stuff to get through before the good stuff. Time now for the first of the Baltic states, and you know what? I've heard worse than this, it's SORT of uplifting if it wasn't so naff. It's got one of those cliched lighters-in-the-air singalong choruses (or at least if you knew Latvian is might).

Some reasonably STRONG VOX there, not THAT bad really.

29. Gerli Padar - Partners in Crime (Estonia )
    Did not qualify, #22 in Semi-final

Another Baltic out now, with this rather unique looking young lady. I'm teetering on the brink with this track, it's a bit wishywashy but shows promise. That woman is a bit scary though, I'm not 100% sold on her.

A pretty by-the-book mid-table ESC lady with an uptempo track that doesn't quite make it, I can't say I'm too cut up about it flopping.

After all that we've been through... Kevin's Avatar
    All my favourites still in there.
    What's confusing? We just find the heart of the prison and the dragon who speaks without walls, and we're home free. Simple.

28. Todomondo - Liubi, Liubi, I Love You (Romania )
    #13 in Grand Final

Quite a CLEVER idea really, I do like the multilingual thinking behind it, and it builds rather manically towards the end. A little puzzled as why they picked Italian if they are trying to suck up to the Eurovision nations, maybe I'm just being cynical.

Romania come out with some reasonable efforts I think (2008 aside perhaps), and even if this feels like the sort of thing someone would do on a talent show, I sort of like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    All my favourites still in there.
    Who are they Kev?

27. Kenan Doğulu - Shake It Up Şekerim (Turkey )
    #4 in Grand Final

Speaking of guilty pleasures... so Turkey pooped out another top 5 hit this year, but I'm not really buying it this time around. The performance was decent enough but the song just feels a bit hollow. They didn't make as much of their usual ethno-pop sound as they normally do, or maybe I'm just listening out for something else. Pretty basic song though, and the chorus is no Dum Tek Tek.

Is he trying to seduce people with candy too? *rape whistle ready*

Georgia, Ukraine, Slovenia, Serbia, Russia.
    What's confusing? We just find the heart of the prison and the dragon who speaks without walls, and we're home free. Simple.

I liked Turkey as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    30. Bonaparti.lv - Questa notte (Latvia )
    #16 in Grand Final

Sadly we still have some dreary stuff to get through before the good stuff. Time now for the first of the Baltic states, and you know what? I've heard worse than this, it's SORT of uplifting if it wasn't so naff. It's got one of those cliched lighters-in-the-air singalong choruses (or at least if you knew Latvian is might).

Some reasonably STRONG VOX there, not THAT bad really.
    1. It's in Italian not Latvian you dimwit
    2. It's actually rather good in my opinion.
    3. The best thing about this entry is that one of them was a Pirate of the Sea the following year

26. Magdi Rúzsa - Unsubstantial Blues (Hungary )
    #9 in Grand Final

Is unsubstantial a word? Anyway another top-tenner out, and we are into the songs that I am SORT of fond of. I did quite like this for a short time, but now her vocals are just getting on my nerves, very craggy and coarse. I can appreciate it as a song, but I just don't want to listen to it anymore.

Romania is a guilty pleasure of mine I have to admit, but Turkey is WAY too high. And who'd have thought Lithuania could ever be best of the Baltics (apart from in 2006 when the scoreboard said so).

1. It's in Italian not Latvian you dimwit
    2. It's actually rather good in my opinion.
    3. The best thing about this entry is that one of them was a Pirate of the Sea the following year
    1. Well I don't know Italian either, so whatever
    2. Yeah we are at that point where I SORT OF like the rest of the songs. It's not a keeper though
    3. Really? Now THAT was a song

I still have some bad feelings about this contest. My boyfriend's family planned a weekend away that year, while I usually watch this together with my family. They promised me I could watch it, but then the children wanted to do some play and they said I didn't need to watch the ESC because the Netherlands was already out. I still watched it of course using my headphones and there was a huge fight. Especially when the power went down and all that was working was the tv and the children had to do their play in the dark.

25. Karolina - Mojot svet (F.Y.R. Macedonia )
    #14 in Grand Final

FYR Macedonia doing well? Do my eyes deceive me? Also, does the start of this sound a bit like the theme tune to Emmerdale? I was shocked that they qualified when I was watching the Semi last week, I had it in my head that they always managed to fall flat at that stage. Nice to hear their country being read out in French and seeing those wonderful FYRM flags

ANYWAY. This would probably end up a bit lower, but the chorus is rather sweeping and interesting. I think she gave it something extra in the performance, she was a rather good performer. Then of course we have the hook, NA NA NAI-NA NANA NA NAI-NA.