+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Diddy Did Mariah: Top 20

disco Diddy Did Mariah: Top 20

OH MY EFFING GEE

Well the lambs have asked so nicely, and also threatened me with death, so HERE GOES NOTHING. I'll get started properly in OH ELEVEN, but for a little TEASE I'll be kicking off next week with a DOUBLE-SCOOP XMAS SPECIAL

Wish me luck

Oh, you're going to need to be made of STRONG STUFF to make it through some of the SHIT up ahead.
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkm View Post
    Oh, you're going to need to be made of STRONG STUFF to make it through some of the SHIT up ahead.
    Don't forget that I've cut my teeth on FOUR banshee Xmas albums last year, so I'm sure I'm up to it.

I was never quite the same though

It's only 24 tracks, one is less than 30 seconds long, and two of them are AIWFCIY. How bad can it get?

you can write that in my obituary
    Last edited by Diddy; 16-12-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Id hate to have a kid like me! Slave's Avatar
    Can I suggest you make an application to Star for some Moopy funds to invest in copious amounts of:

during the 'Charmbracelet' era. That or:

OH it's ABOUT TIME

Do it like a LAMB Diddy
    Last edited by dUb; 16-12-2010 at 12:52 AM.

charmbarcelet is fabulous
    Mariah Carey Productions (A Mariah Carey Company) presents: Me. I Am MariahThe Elusive Chanteuse, an album by Mariah Carey, presented by Mariah Carey, sponsored by Mariah Carey and performed *solely* by Mariah Carey (plus guests). All copyrights by Mariah Carey on behalf of Mariah Carey.

OPEN OFF THE BACARDI BITCHES

OH GOD

Can you actually LISTEN PROPERLY to the songs Dids. I mean really INVEST in them. I demand it.

Thanks xx

How will I know if I'm doing that?

Anyway I'm OUTRAGED at the implication I just phone in any of these reviews

Why don't you do something that's a bit more relevant to what moopy wants. Diddy does Radiohead would fit exactly.

Oh Diddy.

I was wanting to do a Mariah top 50 myself. A Sheena Mariah countdown would be amazing. Definitely something like this is needed to fill the VOID, so this will be good.

Got to keep busy somehow loom

I'm still approaching with TREPIDATION though, and I'm considering 'doing' another artist at the same time ... either Bjork or Abba I think

Wow I'm no lamb but this should be fun. Good luck with Charmbracelet/Glitter

Oh, and do Abba as the other one I'll fetch a padded bag

Fuck Bjorkle!

Like I said bypass her for the next banshee and do PJ - new album coming up!

But I couldn't recommend ABBA enough....

ABBA would be GREAT, although not so much for the first few albums...

If you dare to moan EVEN ONCE about ANYTHING in the next THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY days, Diddy, I won't be able to summons any sympathy for you, I'm afraid.

Where's the DIDDY DOES SELF-HARM thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Spuggie View Post
    If you dare to moan EVEN ONCE about ANYTHING in the next THREE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY days, Diddy, I won't be able to summons any sympathy for you, I'm afraid.

Where's the DIDDY DOES SELF-HARM thread?
    ?!!!?

PS the Diddy Does Self Harm thread is here

I'm JUST SAYING. If you intend to start 2011 with an appraisal of Mariah Carey's back catalogue then I genuinely believe it'll have some kind of (negative) impact on your mental health. If you wish to plunge HEADLONG into THE ABYSS without heeding the advice of those who couldn't even begin to tackle a "DOES MARIAH'S SINGLES (NOT INCLUDING DUETS OR REMIXES)" then I can't possibly even begin to entertain the idea of hearing you moan about your back, a colleague or unrequited love since it'll all be MARIAH'S FAULT.

I think this is between you and Mariah personally, maybe you two need to work out your differences.

PS I'm chucking out the bed tomorrow when i move house, so it can't hurt anybody any more

HO HO HO! Do you hear what I hear? It's time to don our GAY APPAREL, put a log on the fire and do other cliched Christmas activities while I kick off my latest adventure with a festive double-bill.

I must say I was a little anxious to start off with two Christmas albums, I never QUITE got into them, and the Banshee Xmas albums I did last year nearly FINISHED ME OFF. But if you are going to make an effort to listen to them as a genre, you might as well start with the biggest selling Christmas album of all time. Bizarrely, Merry Christmas is the 2nd highest selling non-Asian artist album of all time in Japan, only kept off the top by Mariah's #1s collection, bonkers! Anyway, let's DO THIS.

07 Silent Night - Opening with one of the biggies, and basically exactly what I imagine a Mariah reading of this song to sound like. As a result, a bit of a safe starter, though that's by no means a negative. With these sort of songs you really can't mess around too much. If you want to experiment, write a new bloody song!

10 All I want for Christmas is you - OMGZ well while it doesn't seem to be acknowledged by the real music brigade that this is the greatest Christmas song of all time (Slade can BITE ME), you'll have no such opposition from me. Even 16 years later (!) this still is a relatively modern Christmas classic, and still feels amazing as ever. I suppose Christmas is one of those things you don't really try to modernise, but that doesn't mean Christmas songs have to fit the same tired template. AMAZING

09 O Holy Night - Back in rather dullsville carols by numbers. But I suppose that's where this album wins, there are thousands of covers of these songs, but Mariah's voice (on this album at least) is really superb and lifts it wonderfully. She's certainly got the lungs behind this one, we are even graced with a whistle moment *puts hand in air*. I don't really know what's going on with that rather blank instrumental void halfway through though... but never mind.

08 Christmas (Baby please come home) - I don't recognise this cover, but it's got a lovely Motown vibe about it. It's not QUITE firing off for me, it's got a nice tempo to it, but I suppose it might suffer (as the other tracks do) from not being as great as AIWFCIY. It's over before you know it too, but I can't say I'm in a rush for more.

07 Miss you most (at Christmas time) - Another new track, but this isn't quite doing it for me. It's a sweet enough ballad, but it doesn't have a lot to it. My attention starts to drift a little at the midpoint. I love her vocals as usual, just not the song.

08 Joy to the world - I know she has the VOX, I did worry about this meaning the finish product would turn out as overbaked as Xtina. I did worry also at the start of this track that this would be another meandering rendition, but then suddenly they throw a dance beat in there It's not poppers o'clock or anything, but in fairness this is a 1994 Christmas album. We don't turn the dial up much further than Metro Mix, but that's enough to turn this one around.

06 Jesus born on this day - What's with all this RELIGION? This isn't the true spirit of Christmas at all. I think she should have done "12 days of Christmas" to reflect the true meaning - BUYING STUFF. Anyway, this is nice enough but the whole JEEEESSUUUUSSS stuff makes me a bit squirmy as an agnostic heathen. It's a bit too HYMNY for my tastes.

08 Santa Claus is comin to town - Now this is more like it, lovely lullaby intro into ... wait, isn't this just AIWFCIY again? Apparently not, I guess they were short on backing tracks that day. Anyway this does well just by being a great song in the first place, though it's a bit of a Vonda Shepard version if I'm honest, but I still like it.

08 Hark the herald angels sing - OK fine I just moaned about a track being too hymny, and I suppose this is the very definition of that. After all, do you hear the word "hark" in many mainstream pop hits? But this is one of my favourites (I didn't realise I HAD favourite hymns/carols), and this is a ROUSING RENDITION of the classic with a full-on Gospel blowout, lovely!

06 Jesus Oh what a beautiful child - More Gospel, but a bit too Jesus-heavy again, I'm not really into this sort of swing choir stuff if I'm honest. It does switch it up a bit before the end for a last-minute uptempo spurt but it's too little too late.

08 God rest ye merry gentlemen - I like my Christmas religiosity to be a bit more ICY and dramatic like this, and an acapella version like this is rather a nice end to the album. Just works for me. Too short though!

All in all, a rather nice effort, barring a few "skip button" moments when the religion got laid on a bit too thick. But I mean it IS Christmas so I suppose I can overlook that. Either way, added to the fact it has the all-time great Christmas song, this is a resounding success for an album I thought might be a bit unapproachable. WELL DONE MIMI.

Up later: Merry Christmas II You

mad

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

08 Christmas (Baby please come home) - I don't recognise this cover, but it's got a lovely Motown vibe about it. It's not QUITE firing off for me, it's got a nice tempo to it, but I suppose it might suffer (as the other tracks do) from not being as great as AIWFCIY. It's over before you know it too, but I can't say I'm in a rush for more.
    Erm it's only off the best christmas album EVER.

disco

09 Santa Claus is comin to town / Oh Santa - A lovely intro again, I do love SCICTT, and into ... ! Well she's at least trying to make lightning strike twice with a fun original song. It doesn't really come close to THAT song, but it's still a lot of fun. I think it falls down because it's quite difficult to sing along to, the tempo is a little too frantic. Still, it topped the Billboard Holiday Digital Songs chart, and there is NO GREATER ACCOLADE.

06 O little town of Bethlehem / Little drummer boy - Another MASHUP, and while I could never take Little Drummer Boy too seriously, this seems like a decent match-up. The first verse of O Little Town doesn't really merge particularly, it's more like switching the station between songs, but before you know it, the BA RUM PA PUM PUMs are mixing in nicely. It's a bit of a mess but it's alright. I THINK I NEED A BETTER DRUMMAAAAAAHHHH

07 Christmas Time is in the air again - Another newie, and while I'm sure many people like this rather sedate Sinatra-esque schmaltz fests, I'm on the fence a bit. I have to be in the right mood for it, though troublingly I'm not quite in that mood on Christmas Eve. Pleasant though, if a little dated.

06 The First Noel / Born is the king - I do like this as a song, but this isn't having a lot of impact on me really. It's ALRIGHT but I'm struggling to find anything to say about it. Never mind, eh? At least it's better than the comatose interlude straight after, which sounds like it could just be off any generic SLOW JAMZ CUT.

06 When Christmas comes - I have to admit I'm zoning out a bit here, I need some more uptempo numbers already. Oh Santa was a great start, but everything after this has been quite safe and unadventurous. I think we are veering into Vonda Shepard territory once again.

08 Here comes Santa Claus / Housetop Celebration - Ha! This is more like it , a bit of a modern twist on a relatively modern track. I'm not sure if Santa is getting up to any "mixing and blitzing" (?) but it sounds like he's making a decent go of it. Threatens to stray into rent-a-rapper territory but that doesn't encroach too much on what is a fun little track.

08 Charlie Brown Christmas - WTF? I do have this weird warm feeling about the Peanuts gang and that Christmas special that I remember but haven't seen for about 20 years (). The song itself is a bit drippy and doesn't fit the intro much at all. But her voice is really gorgeous, so it gets a thumbs up from me. I would give this a 7.5 but IT'S CHRISTMAS.

07 Oh come all ye faithful / Hallelujah - Back to the grind though, a rather overly acrobatic and overbaked version of another classic. Sorry guys, not really doing a lot for me. It's sentimental enough to make me feel a TWINGE of festivity, and that rather unexpected operatic moment does improve matters. I do like Mariah SCREECHING that poor diva down to size, how disrespectful . *whistle note*

10 O Holy Night (Live) - Now THIS is the shit right here. I already appreciated this on the other album but this live album really deserved inclusion. The audience clapping at rather straightforward notes evidently didn't expect just HOW epic her vox were going to be. When was this made? I really hope she can still hit those heights these days. Anyway not much more to say, great song, fantastic performance.

07 One Child - Poor song, sandwiched between two EPICS. I'm not really getting into this one, it's quite reminiscent of MJ now I think about it. It has a nice-ish climax towards the end but I'm not really feeling this.

10 All I want for Christmas is you (Extra Festive) - Well I can't say they've done a LOT to this, but still, you can't argue this this TITAN. The extra intro is lovely, but it's just window dressing. The song, as I have said already is STILL AMAZING.

09 Auld Lang's Syne (The New Year's Anthem) - Oh ... well it's always nice to have a little forward planning, New Year is only a week away of course. I wasn't quite expecting such a gaytastic cheesy dance version to come from the rather subdued intro. It's a great version though, I love it. I think craptacular is the word though Does anybody really know the words??

Well that's that! Maybe two helpings was a bit MUCH, but I'm glad I did these two albums now rather than waiting until July or whenever I would have normally got to it. While I wasn't QUITE into some of the content, that's more a personal taste thing than a judgement on Mariah's handling of the material. Her ventures into new Christmas material are hit and miss, but when she hits it, MY GOD DOES SHE HIT IT. Above all, I am relieved that her vocal histronics weren't as unbearable as I was expecting, which bodes well for the other eleven studio albums I'm going to wade through during the next few months.

Next: Mariah Carey (1990)

The extended outro to 'All I Want For Christmas' quite frankly MADE my holiday season this year.

Does anybody really know the words? automatically makes Auld Lang's Syne a 13/10.

Never thought I'd work again Pingu's Avatar
    Am I right in the assumption that the "poor diva" whom Mariah "screeches down to size" is her OWN MOTHER??

What a bitch

Is this ever going to HAPPEN?

MARIAH CAREY (1990) PLZ

IMPATIENT

I'm going to start in January, first writeup in about 2 weeks I guess.

Or I can just RUSH IT if you LIKE

Doesn't it just take the duration of each album to do? How can you rush that?

Quote Originally Posted by dUb
    Doesn't it just take the duration of each album to do? How can you rush that?
    Oh goodness no, I give the albums at least 7 or 8 listens, I have to do this properly or what's the point?

Hell, I even listened to Boys for Pele 5 times and that was like being STABBED IN THE BRAIN

YOU don't THINK that I'll be STRONG ENOUGH
    NO OH BABY NOW
    I WON'T BE the PRISONER of your LOVE

The thought of Diddy delving into the deepest depths of the Mumu back cat has also given me cause to re-acquaint myself with the Queen of Gestation

As we PROCEED getting BUZZED
    The ENVIOUS ONES
    Hating but they can't TAKE THEY EYES OFF US

I am hoping for some BIG 'All In Your Mind' love.

*dog whistles nonchalantly*

I'm predicting Diddy, in his current state of mind, will be able to RELATE to Someday

"We'd like to dedicate this next track to anyone who's ever been DUMPED!"

Quote Originally Posted by Loufoque
    I'm predicting Diddy, in his current state of mind, will be able to RELATE to Someday

"We'd like to dedicate this next track to anyone who's ever been DUMPED!"
    But I've never been dumped

OH SORRY, it just FEELS LIKE IT

Sorry, that was MEAN

I'm just NERVOUS about how this thread is going to PAN OUT!

You and me both Louf, my abuse at the hands of Al-Kylie-Da nearly capsized this whole misadventure before it even started!

Merry Christmas II You is rubbish, Diddy, I'll give you that.

But 'Baby (Please Come Home)' is a clear cut 10/10.
    Last edited by Whatevar; 30-12-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Seriously

Where the fuck is Diddy does Mariah Carey (1990)?