+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diddy's Top 50 of 2010

disco Diddy's Top 50 of 2010

Yeah it would have been so easy to call it Diddy Did 2010, but I'm getting a bit self-conscious right now

Anyway WHAT A YEAR. I don't really have anything to back that up, it's been a reasonably standard year for me musically. I'm pleased to say that though, because there's still been some GREAT STUFF when all said and done, and my end-of-year top 20 mixtape is pretty SOLID.

So now the Kylie and Alanis countdowns are nearly done (nobody cares ), Family Fortunes is done, the #1s of 2010 is nearing completion, this is one of the last things I need to do before I can draw a line under 2010...

ARE YA WITH ME? *tumbleweed*

I'm with you, unless it includes something I hate, I might have to jump ship then, and let's be honest, that's quite likely
    'Sue, did the President call?' ... 'No' Last.fm

Oh you've always got my back, J-dog <3

disco

50. 3oh!3 - Starstrukk (ft Katy Perry)
    From 'Want'

So where to start? Seems fitting that we kick off with a song that appeared at the very tail end of 2009 and had a strong presence through the first few months this year. It's been a great year for Katy, a middling one for 3oh!3 who I doubt will have a huge hit again without more star power.

Holding Katy's course nicely for the smashes she was going to have this year, this is a pretty pacy electro-dance-pop-something with a killer chorus. I quite fancy the blonde chubbier one of 3oh!3, is that weird?

This is a little surprising but this is the last we'll see of Katy in this countdown, I did love her 3 smashes this year but frankly I'm WORN OUT, I've been hearing them NONSTOP and really I need a rest.

49. Take That - The Flood
    From 'Progress'

Now I was never really into the original Take That (except maybe Pray), and while things improved with their comeback a few years ago, aside from a few crackers they are WAY too overexposed for me to really love them in any constructive way. So Robbie's back too? Well as much as we were whipped into feeling like some second coming had arrived (despite people clearly not being THAT fussed about him in last couple of years), I'm really any more enthused.

If anything that's made them even MORE overexposed, it's lose-lose really. I didn't like this when I first heard it, then the first few times I saw the video I LOVED IT, but now I'm kinda bored of it. Perhaps because they wheeled it out at EVERY OPPORTUNITY. Nice harmonies, but please, give it a REST for a bit for my sake.

48. The Saturdays - Ego
    From 'Wordshaker'

Officially my favourite hapless girlband of the moment, since GA are MIA and the Sugababes are in disarray. Not that I've QUITE been a superfan, I think every other single is great, and inevitably none of them are as good as Up anyway. So I'm not QUITE frothing at the gusset, but they are lovable enough disasters for me to watch their ITV2 reality show.

This slow-burning hit is my favourite of theirs this years despite wanting to love Higher. Keep reaching for that (midweek) #1 girls!

47. Joe McElderry - Ambitions
    From 'Wide Awake'

You know I could cope with people buying Olly 'cunt' Murs' singles and album, if I could rest assured that mental housewives will buy anything X-Factor related that Asda can stick under their piggy noses. But no, the public are going out of their way to not buy into their elected champion from LESS THAN A YEAR AGO. I really hope this guy gets something good out of winning X-Factor because so far it's just been a slap in the face, and his poor little face just smiles through it all *heartbreak*

A bit of a weird lead single but it's really grown on me. I haven't listened to the album, aside from a rather ill-advised cover of the AMAZING Real Late Starter which I'm not sure about. But I love the poor boy, another victim of HOMOPHOBIC BRITAIN, and every time I see Olly Murs' beady little hatecrime eyes it makes me die a little

46. Katie Melua - The Flood
    From 'The House'

OMG did Katie Melua really make a song that wasn't dreary shit? Seriously though I liked 9 Million Bicycles but she's a bit of a grumpy puss isn't she? But then this new album came out with William Orbits behind the wheel, and with it, a rather surprisingly great lead single. The video really set this one off for me, really perfectly pitched and just hypnotised me every time.

I suppose that goes some way to explain why I'm not feeling it as much as I was, now that I'm not watching the video. But I still love it. Boring bitch.

45. Gabriella Cilmi - On A Mission
    From 'Ten'

Oh MY well from one boring bitch to another, it really was a spring of boring bitching coming good wasn't it? After the radio beat me over the head with "Sweet about me" so many times I wanted to kill myself, I wasn't exactly braced for a great comeback single, but how wrong I was.

100mph from the start, mixing Van Halen synths, a relentless beat, and more than a bit of Bonnie Tyler, along with a frankly ridiculously OTT space video, this was always going to go down with the GAYZ. That's before we've got to the cheerleader chant bit in the middle, and the "I'LL NEVER GIVE UP, I'LL NEVER GIVE UP" bit at the end

One smiley:
    Last edited by Diddy; 27-12-2010 at 09:24 PM.

However shit Olly is, there's at least a market for him. Joe was doomed to failure before he even began, gay or straight.

After all that we've been through... Kevin's Avatar
    5 good songs so far
    What's confusing? We just find the heart of the prison and the dragon who speaks without walls, and we're home free. Simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Loufoque View Post
    However shit Olly is, there's at least a market for him. Joe was doomed to failure before he even began, gay or straight.
    I hate that Olly has a market but I will concede that. But Joe wasn't doomed ... I mean even fucking SHAYNE WARD GAY had a few 500K sellers before people went off him!

44. Cheryl Cole - 3 Words (ft will.i.am)
    From '3 Words'

Another 2009/10 straggler, but still sounds great thanks to it not being crap enough to be overplayed (hello Parachute). This did just about creep into my OH NINE countdown, but it really needed another crack of the whip as I've had a bit more time with it.

I think it's FABULOUS, dark, icy, and doesn't make will.i.am sound completely twatty (which makes it automatically better than 90% of his output). I just love the rather sultry chorus, and THAT VIDEO deserves special mention for just being totally spellbinding.

QUITTIN'S OUTTA THE QUESTION!

I'm glad Katie Melua's The Flood is featured in a lot of moopists' countdowns, it's such a great song really.
    WHAT DID I SAY?

43. Cast Of Glee - Total Eclipse of the heart

HMM now I don't really know where I stand with Glee. It was good enough to distract me from my miserable existence once a week, but it was a destructive relationship of self-hate. That said, I was also watching FlashForward during this period so I could obviously tolerate quite a low level of entertainment value (zero, in fact). I even got sucked into a repeat of Glee the other day, and my inner gay did a little *squee* when I saw the Season 2 TV trailer.

So on to this song, and as you can imagine a rather retarded cover of a CLASSIC. And it IS a classic, it never had the polish of Holding Out For A Hero but what DOES? It worked well in the show, and it's a fucking great song. So with the RESPLENDENT high Jewess Lea Michele behind the wheel it couldn't really fail could it? (no)
    Last edited by Diddy; 27-12-2010 at 09:33 PM.

42. JLS - The Club Is Alive
    From 'Outta this world'

OK so on paper it sounds like a terrible idea, and by many stretches of the imagination it IS a terrible idea. It's a total chav anthem, and frankly it's no "Beat Again", but something about this OTT production and ridiculous video (on so many levels) that I had to relent and decide I loved it

Of course Gwen tried a similar trick not too long ago, and it felt like I was the only one who loved that too, so this is familiar territory. I'm even starting to warm to the other non-Marvin members of the gang, Gay One, Black Eileen, and Backflipping Pipsqueak. That's probably about it though, maybe it's just one good single per album.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    50. 3oh!3 - Starstrukk (ft Katy Perry)
    From 'Want'

I quite fancy the blonde chubbier one of 3oh!3, is that weird?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
    40. 3OH!3 ft. Katy Perry – Starstrukk UK #3

Plus I would totally get with the blonde guy too.
    Last edited by Mugatu; 27-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.

41. Robyn - Fembot
    From 'Body Talk'

A funny old year for wonky old Robyn, really. With the benefit of hindsight (and believe me I'm not the only one using it), this campaign could have JUST ABOUT been piloted to some success, but I have rather loved the way she's done things this year.

For those of you just joining us, she released the Body Talk album in three parts over the course of the year, with the third part incorporating the 'best bits' from the two parts to complete the album. Body Talk Pt 1 was a bit more spiky than the more consistent Pt 2, but the highs came along with the lows. This is obviously one of my highlights, and I think after many practice runs I can just about sing along to the chorus now, READY FOR DEMOLITION

Quote Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
    OMG Mumu we have totally hatched from the same egg. We need to get on MSN at some point to discuss out respective doomed infatuations with our friends!

42. JLS - The Club Is Alive
    From 'Outta this world'
    Oh good God
    WHAT DID I SAY?

40. B.O.B - Nothing On You (ft Bruno Mars)
    From 'The Adventures Of Bobby Ray'

Wow, cover art has really gone to shit in the digital age hasn't it? I don't know what it is about this song that really got me hooked, my best guess is Bruno Mars' GORGEOUS vocals, a most welcome addition to my world this year. So I'm not usually into rap music, but this somehow doesn't feel like it. Feels about as authentic as a rap artist as Will Smith did, so I will just appreciate him as an artist, and secretly be pleased that I've included more guys in my end-of-year countdowns.

The video is a bit odd, Bruno looks a bit WEIRD, but whatever, it's quite old-skool feeling and for some reason I love that. Maybe it's because I was brought up in the BRONX and it reminds me of the block parties we used to have.*

*might be from a J.Lo movie

OMG Mumu we have totally hatched from the same egg. We need to get on MSN at some point to discuss out respective doomed infatuations with our friends!
    I was wondering, where do the similarities END?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Carnival View Post
    Oh good God
    Diddy really does REVEL in misery.

39. Paloma Faith - Upside Down
    From 'Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful?'

God I hate this try-hard BITCH. So it pains me to include her, as it did with JLS. But I must be true to myself *clutches fist earnestly*

I fucking love this. I remember seeing it on the Strictly Come Dancing trailer but with no vocals, and finally while waiting in Ku Bar for my most recent Moopmeet this came on and I SOUGHT IT OUT. I'll probably be sick of this soon enough but I really love it. Bit of a rehash of the whole Mambo #5/Alesha Dixon saga, but it works for me.

38. Timoteij - Kom
    From 'Melodifestivalen 2010'

First appearance from something Eurovision-related now, and it's what APPEARED to be a hot favourite to represent Sweden this year. But Melodifestivalen spoke and it wasn't to be. Whatever, they got their COMEUPPANCE in the end, maybe they'll listen to sense next year.

Anyway a rather weird hybrid of europop Riverdance amazingness, I can't QUITE describe it. Fronted by four beautiful blondes trying their best to convincingly play their instruments over the rather busy arrangement. Catchy as hell, and I don't know a word of Swedish.

Oh DEE, some right old CRACKERS here already, THE SATZ , Timoteij, Cilmi, Joe, The Flood(s).

Although, I cannot in any way support the inclusion of The Club Is Alive.

37. Tom Dice - Me And My Guitar
    From 'Eurovision Song Contest 2010: Oslo'

So this was inevitable, Eurovision was a large part of my musical life this year, culminating in my first trip to see the final. OK so I only saw the final rehearsal but still, as GOOD AS. Belgium had a rather belatedly good year, and this rather sweet little acoustic song really makes me feel all fuzzy and nostalgic about the whole experience.

It was a good result for him, perhaps not as close to the top as we'd hoped, but still good. He was a real sweetheart too, and I love this song. Even though it has guitars in it.

God I hate this try-hard BITCH.
    Try hard? Really? I think she comes across incredibly genuine, like she's actually doing exactly what she wants to be doing.
    Last edited by Johnkm; 27-12-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkm View Post
    Try hard? Really? I think she comes across incredibly genuine, like she's actually doing exactly what she wants to be doing.
    She's really good fun whenever she'd interviewed.
    Diddy prefers people with AUTOTUNED personailities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    All he has to do is get a better taste
    WHAT DID I SAY?

36. Nicole Scherzinger - Poison

Hmm where to start with this? Well focus on the positives, that alarm intro it just every time ... RED ONE! This certainly feels quite separate from anything Red One seems to have produced so far, so that's exciting now that Timbaland's getting a bit boring, especially with an imminent Gaga album on the way. That X-Factor perf was also amazing, really put everything into that.

She comes over as a bit BLAH as a person, or just too USA media-trained, hasn't quite got the EDGE to her, which is a shame since we all know for a FACT she was a bitch and beat up all the other PCD. I just think this song has worn out its welcome a LITTLE in the last month. It's a shame, I'm not sure what happened, probably something as simple as overplay. I love the video though, I just need a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnkm View Post
    She's really good fun whenever she'd interviewed.
    Diddy prefers people with AUTOTUNED personailities.
    In my defence, I've not really seen anything of her apart from her performances and big HORSEY FACE in her videos. She just seems to come over as a bit LOL KOOKY! I'm not really into AM DRAM

YAY for some Poison love, that intro is among the greatest things ever recorded and that's before we get to the chorus

35. Mini Viva - One Touch

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to observe the passing on yet another promising pop-dance outfit that never really got off the ground. To be honest I'm surprised they even got such a big hit as I Left My Heart In Tokyo. But I guess that's just the way love goes.

I think this may even blow THAT song out of the water (honourable mention to flop I Wish too), and I remember having a total moment to this, hungover after my first Moopmeet. I just love everything about this, Xenomania did their best, but I'm sad this is the last chapter of their story. Not that they had much of a story, more of a HAIKU.

After all that we've been through... Kevin's Avatar
    I love Misery by Maroon 5, but I think I'm alone in that over here.
    What's confusing? We just find the heart of the prison and the dragon who speaks without walls, and we're home free. Simple.

34. Alphabeat - DJ (I Could Be Dancing)
    From 'The Spell'

This is starting to feel a bit like a Popjustice countdown isn't it? Whatever. Anyway it never really worked out for Alphabeat did it? I heard that people generally liked the second album, I must say I really didn't share those feelings, but I did appreciate the 90s dance feel in parts of it. I really took to this track though, especially the very slightly different single edit.

The video looks so much fun, very cheap but make me want to love them as a group somehow. They were on rotation a lot during my Scandinavian tour, this is just such an upbeat positive song, I can't possibly not love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I love Misery by Maroon 5, but I think I'm alone in that over here.
    It's not bad

33. Mohamed Ali - Rocket (Svenstrup & Vendelboe Remix)

OK a bit of an unknown one now, sent my way by (I think) HenZ (RIP). I don't know ANYTHING about this guy, he looks very young, and presumably Danish. But this song is really gorgeous, a pretty straight-up 00s trance track, but his vocals are really wonderful. I can't comment on the original version as this is all I have, but it's really fucking GOOD.

Just watch this instead

HenZ (RIP)* also sent me that little number, it's quite good actually, but I prefer some of the other Danish stuff he sent me, like THIS:

* I love this and I'm totally stealing it for my own personal use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information