+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

All the better to see you with, my dear. Eileen's Avatar

Eileen's #1 Albums Marathon

Can't think of anywhere else to put this so it's going in here until someone demands that it's MOVED.
    Top up, Sue?

FRANK SINATRA - Songs For Swingin' Lovers

Weeks at No. 1: 3 (in 2 spells)

Track Listing:

1. Too Marvellous For Words
    2. Old Devil Moon
    3. Pennies From Heaven
    4. Our Love Is Here To Stay
    5. I've Got You Under My Skin
    6. I Thought About You
    7. We'll Be Together Again
    8. Makin' Whoopee
    9. Swingin' Down The Lane
    10. Anything Goes
    11. How About You
    12. You Make Me Feel So Young
    13. It Happened In Monterey
    14. You're Getting To Be A Habit With Me
    15. You Brought A New Kind Of Love To Me

You really can’t beat a bit of Frank. When I listened to every #1 single, there was a marked difference between him and the other crooners of his time. Having said that, the only other member of the Ratpack to have had a number 1 single is Dean Martin, who did it with one of his less punchy singles, Memories Are Made of This. There’s a reason why he’s stood the test of time and many of his contemporaries are footnotes in the history of 1950s music. Not to mention this positively shits on Michael Bublé and the big band night on the X Factor from a great height. Leon Jackson anyone?

The brass is crisp, his voice is like GOLD and even a bloke who grew up on 1990s europop is enjoying listening to this. Not many of the tracks are that familiar to me, with the exception of I’ve Got You Under My Skin

This is a great start to the #1 albums marathon.
    Top up, Sue?

THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Agnetha's Avatar
    This sounds like an AWFUL EXPERIENCE for you and GRAND ONE for us...

Quote Originally Posted by Agnetha View Post
    This sounds like an AWFUL EXPERIENCE for you and GRAND ONE for us...
    I'd do anything for the MOOP
    Top up, Sue?

INNA ME KHAKI SUIT AND TING Donna Winter's Avatar
    You gotta love FRANK really

I get told off when I put Frank's Greatest Hits on the old STEREOGRAM

Doobeedoobeedoo
    Doodoodoodoobeedoobe
    Doobeedoobeedoo
    And oh...
    Oh HOW MANY YEARS
    Is it NOW Maurice?

Is that by Mr W?

Or your mum?
    Top up, Sue?

INNA ME KHAKI SUIT AND TING Donna Winter's Avatar
    By Mr W

He doesn't SWING

My mum would dig it, she's got taste. My gran was (possibly still is) a great FRANK FAN

Start SPREADIN' the NEWS
    I'm LEAVING TODAY
    And oh...
    Oh HOW MANY YEARS
    Is it NOW Maurice?

ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Carousel

Weeks at No. 1: 6 (in 2 spells)

Track Listing:

1. Carousel Waltz (Orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman)
    2. You're A Queer One Julie Jordan (Barbara Ruick & Shirley Jones)
    3. Mister Snow (Barbara Ruick)
    4. If I Love You (Shirley Jones & Gordon MacRae)
    5. June Is Bustin' Out All Over (Clara Mae Turner, Barbara Ruick & Chorus)
    6. Soliloquy (Gordon MacRae)
    7. Blow High, Blow Low (Cameron Mitchell & Men's Chorus)
    8. When The Children Are Asleep (Robert Rounseville & Barbara Ruick)
    9. A Real Nice Clambake (Barbara Ruick, Clara Mae Turner, Tobert Rounsville, Cameron Mitchell & Mixed Chorus)
    10. Stonecutter's Cut It In Stone (Cameron Mitchell & Mixed Chorus)
    11. What's The Use Of Wonderin' (Shirley Jones & Girl's Chorus)
    12. You'll Never Walk Alone (Clara Mae Turner)
    13. If I Loved You (Reprise) (Gordon MacRae)
    14. You'll Never Walk Alone (Finale) (Shirley Jones & Mixed Chorus)

This is neither a film I’ve seen nor am familiar with, though any film that has a song called “You’re a Queer One Julie Jordan” can’t be all that bad. Some of the song titles range from being quite familiar (June Is Bustin’ Out All Over) to very familiar (the ubiquitous You’ll Never Walk Alone – albeit an operatic version).

Maybe this should be one to revisit at some point having seen the film. I’m tempted to read the plot on Wikipedia but that’d ruin it. Looking ahead, I can see that Rogers and Hammerstein musicals have provided five number 1 albums, three of which are in a row. I haven’t seen any of them (no not even The Sound of Music).

Box set of their films on Amazon for 14 quid? Just bought it. Can always give it away as a present once I’ve finished with it.

The music is a typical old school musical-fest. If you know the stuff from The Sound of Music, it sounds the same to me. It’s pretty inoffensive but it’s not got a patch on stuff I used to love like Mary Poppins, though that could be because I saw it when I was a kid.

Well the film has now arrived. I feel a bit unique in having heard the soundtrack before seeing the film. It has a magical Disney-like quality to it. The film has a U certificate and I can’t actually remember the last time I saw a film that was a U; even Enchanted was a PG.

These men are wearing really tight trousers and you can’t see a hint of dick. Weird. Some of these sailors look like they’ve been cast straight from Suomi’s inner circle.

Aww… the film was sad Quite moving. The next two number 1s are also Rogers and Hammerstein musical sound tracks. We’ll see if the films are as good as this one…
    Top up, Sue?

3. ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - Oklahoma!

Weeks at No. 1: 3 (in 2 spells)

Track Listing:

1. Oklahoma! Overture (Oklahoma Orchestra directed by Jay Blackman)
    2. Oh What A Beautiful Morning (Gordon MacRae)
    3. Surrey With The Fringe On Top (Gordon MacRae, Shirley Jones & Charlotte Greenwood)
    4. Kansas City (Gene Nelson, Shirley Jones & Mens Chorus)
    5. I Can't Say No (Gloria Grahame)
    6. Many A New Day (Shirley Jones & Girls Chorus)
    7. People Will Say We're In Love (Gordon MacRae & Shirley Jones)
    8. Poor Jud Is Daid (Gordon MacRae & Rod Steiger)
    9. Out Of My Dreams (Shirley Jones & Girls Chorus)
    10. The Farmer And The Cowman (Gordon MacRae, Charlotte Greenwood, Gene Nelson, JC Flippen, James Whitmore, Gloria Grahame & Mixed Chorus)
    11. All Er Nothin' (Gloria Grahame & Gene Nelson)
    12. Oklahoma! (Gordon MacRae, Charlotte Greenwood, Gene Nelson, James Whitmore, Shirley Jones, JC Flippen & Mixed Chorus)

Going to watch the film first this time. This contains the same two main members of the cast of Carousel and is another U certificate, containing mild violence and PERIL according to the box.

The themes in this film are similar to that of Carousel – there is a hell of a lot of emphasis on the roles of men and women. The music isn’t really as good. Oh What a Beautiful Morning is the most famous thing on here and it’s not something I’m particularly fond of as I’ve been woken up by my dad singing it a few too many times when I’ve got a terrible hangover.

This film is also too bloody long…

…It’s now a few weeks later and I’m listening to the soundtrack on its own. I think this sounds much better than I had been not watched the film first. There are a few too many ballads on here. It never has it’s “You’re The One That I Want” moment. Having said that, it’s pretty enjoyable second time round.
    Top up, Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    These men are wearing really tight trousers and you can’t see a hint of dick. Weird.

Well done for starting this Ei, how many albums are there altogether? And as a :geek: can I ask for some DATES in the stats?

4. ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - The King And I

Weeks at No. 1: 48 (in 14 spells - including 2 weeks shared at No. 1)

Track Listing:

1. The King And I Overture (Orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman)
    2. I Whistle A Happy Tune (Deborah Kerr, Rex Thompson & Chorus)
    3. My Lord And Master (Rita Moreno)
    4. Hello Young Lovers (Deborah Kerr)
    5. March Of The Siamese Children (Orchestra conducted by Alfred Newman)
    6. A Puzzlement (Yul Brynner)
    7. Getting To Know You (Deborah Kerr & Chorus)
    8. We Kiss In A Shadow (Rueben Fuentes & Leona Gordon)
    9. I Have Dreamed (Rita Moreno)
    10. Shall I Tell You What I Think Of You (Yul Brynner)
    11. Something Wonderful (Terry Saunders)
    12. Song Of The King (Yul Brynner & Deborah Kerr)
    13. Shall We Dance (Deborah Kerr & Yul Brynner)
    14. Something Wonderful (Finale) (Orchestra & Chorus conducted by Alfred Newman)

The third Rogers and Hammerstein musical in a row. Once again, I’m watching the film first. I like the way this is set in 19th century Thailand – they could literally tell me ANYTHING and I’d be suckered in because I have no idea what Thailand was like back then. To be honest, I’d be stupid to treat this film as a documentary.

Getting to Know You is the first (and in fact only) song I recognize. It’s quite astonishing really that all 3 of the R+S musicals so far have songs that are widely known outside of the musicals from which they came.

¾ of the way through the film the Siamese courtiers put on a play, which I think is the best part of the film. It’s visually very striking and very well choreographed.

However, I’m not entirely sure how this managed to spend 48 weeks on top of the album chart. Maybe I’ve just got bored with the third musical in a row but this is nowhere near as good as the Carousel soundtrack…

…It’s the following day and I’m now listening to the soundtrack on its own. It’s got a similar sound to the previous R+S soundtracks, being played on a western orchestra, but with the occasional oriental sounding flourish or gong sound. Once again, it sounds a lot better second time round. I think Yul Brynner’s voice (assuming it’s not been dubbed) would have been unbearable had I not seen the film first.
    Top up, Sue?

5. BILL HALEY & HIS COMETS - Rock 'N' Roll Stage Show

Weeks at No. 1: 1

Track Listing:

1. Calling All Comets
    2. Rockin' Through The Rye
    3. Rocking Little Tune
    4. Hide And Seek
    5. Hey Then, There Now
    6. Goofin' Around
    7. Hook, Line And Sinker
    8. Rudy's Rock
    9. Choo Choo Ch'Boogie
    10. Blue Comet Blues
    11. Hot Dog Buddy Buddy
    12. Tonight's The Night

After those three soundtracks, the funk and jazz of the opening track of this album packs a punch. Based around the 12 bar blues, it’s an instrumental. The #1 single isn’t on this album but the rest of the album is of a similar ilk – party time rock ‘n’ roll.

In fact, a lot of the stuff on here is based around the 12 bar blues. I’d say this was a very enjoyable album. As good as the 50s can offer with great sax lines and funky riffs. It reminds me of the Enchantment Under the Sea dance from Back To The Future before Michael J Fox turned it into a Van Halen gig.

If I were to make a criticism, it would be that the tracks are all very similar. But then again, I could listen to house and techno for hours on end and the same criticism has been levelled at that for the past 20 years.
    Top up, Sue?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post

Well done for starting this Ei, how many albums are there altogether? And as a :geek: can I ask for some DATES in the stats?
    It's currently 919. At the rate Adele's been #1 for, it'll probably still be 919 by the time I finish.

Some dates would indeed be useful. I'm copying and pasting the tracklisting and the artwork from another site, which annoyingly didn't put up the dates. Here are the dates for the first 5 albums:

1 28/07/1956 Songs for swinging lovers - Frank Sinatra
    2 11/08/1956 Carousel - Soundtrack
    3 29/09/1956 Oklahoma - Soundtrack
    4 13/10/1956 King and I - Soundtrack
    5 27/10/1956 Rock n roll stage shows - Bill Haley & Comets
    Top up, Sue?

I wish films these days could get away with ridiculous claims in taglines like "More than your eyes have ever seen"

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    I wish films these days could get away with ridiculous claims in taglines like "More than your eyes have ever seen"
    I can still remember Grease being on at the cinema for its 25th anniversary in 2002/3 ish and the adverts used the tagline "if you've not seen it at the cinema, you've not really seen it at all". REALLY?
    Top up, Sue?

6. ELVIS PRESLEY - Rock 'N' Roll

10/11/1956

Weeks at No. 1: 1

Track Listing:

1. Blue Suede Shoes
    2. I'm Counting On You
    3. I Got A Woman
    4. One-Sided Love Affair
    5. I Love You Because
    6. Just Because
    7. Tutti Frutti
    8. Trying To Get To You
    9. I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)
    10. I'll Never Let You Go
    11. Blue Moon
    12. Money Honey

Another number 1 album and yet another superstar. For those who are looking for someone who hasn’t really survived a fanbase outside the 1950s / 1960s, you might have to wait a few more albums.

Opening with a song that needs no introduction, the album is of course what you’d expect from Elvis – upbeat rock n roll with the occasional laid back track, though nothing like stuff like Crying In the Chapel from his later years, which I thought was a bit wet. Once again, most of it is based around the 12 bar blues, though some of the slower tracks have a Hawaiian lilt to them.

Elvis has had a hell of a lot of #1 albums to be taking from the soundtrack to his films but if you thinking I’m watching those, you can fuck right off.

I think the album tracks on this are just as good as the singles. I have a feeling that won’t be the case as we move through the rest of his catalogue later.
    Top up, Sue?

How big was the album chart at this stage?

Quote Originally Posted by lolly View Post
    How big was the album chart at this stage?
    It's a top 5. It will become a top 10 in November 1958.
    Top up, Sue?

Lovely stuff! Thanks for that Eil. Once the South Pacific OST is out of the way things will get far more interesting...

Can't wait for your review of HOT HITS 6
    omgies shampoo are totes cool when i was 17 back in 94 i totally wanted to be them even tho i was boy. but now i'm a girl so it all worked out alright really!

Quote Originally Posted by Suedehead View Post
    Lovely stuff! Thanks for that Eil. Once the South Pacific OST is out of the way things will get far more interesting...
    Cheers my dear!

Quote Originally Posted by That One View Post
    Can't wait for your review of HOT HITS 6
    That's going to be a time and a half Though to be fair, there's WORSE than that. 101 Strings is going to be a RIGHT CHORE.
    Top up, Sue?

7. ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK - High Society

16/02/1957

Weeks at No. 1: 1 (1 week shared)

Track Listing:

1. High Society Overture (Johnny Green conducting the MGM Studio Orchestra)
    2. High Society Calypso (Louis Armstrong & His Band)
    3. Little One (Bing Crosby)
    4. Who Wants To Be A Millionaire (Frank Sinatra & Celeste Holm)
    5. True Love (Bing Crosby & Grace Kelly)
    6. You're Sensational (Frank Sinatra)
    7. I Love You Samantha (Bing Crosby)
    8. Now You Has Jazz (Louis Armstrong & Bing Crosby)
    9. Well Did You Evah? (Bing Crosby & Frank Sinatra)
    10. Mind If I Make Love To You (Frank Sinatra)

Another film sound track, though not a Rogers and Hammerstein one, and another U! This doesn’t contain “peril”, but it does contain racist language according to the box. This does beg the question, how racist must it be if it’s still classed as a U?

When it comes to the cast, this is definitely A list. It’s got Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong, Grace Kelly and a sound track by Cole Porter. The film itself feels considerably more modern than the R+S films we’ve just had, perhaps because this film is set in the era in which it was made. Bing Crosby’s face is smug, annoying and glib and deserves to be shot a thousand times over. Frank Sinatra and Grace Kelly, however, are great in this film. Very funny indeed!

I’ve just realised that the racism must be in the other film in the box set Calamity Jane, as there isn’t any in this film. I thought this was a fine film indeed.

The sound track contains True Love, which was covered by Elton John and Kiki Dee, who had the Christmas Number Two with it in 1993, and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, from which the quiz show took its title. However, I think the best track on the album is the High Society Calypso by Louis Armstrong.
    Top up, Sue?

First time I've noticed this thread - are you planning on doing every #1 album? If so, this is going to be quite some thread!

The Elvis cover is quite iconic and the style has been copied a number of times over the years, most famously by The Clash for their "London Calling" album

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    First time I've noticed this thread - are you planning on doing every #1 album? If so, this is going to be quite some thread!
    That's right. Every #1 album. I have no idea how long it will take. Even if I listened to an album a day, it would take about 3 years to get through them all. It's very much a MARATHON rather than a SPRINT.
    Top up, Sue?

8. FRANK SINATRA - This Is Sinatra!

02/03/1957

Weeks at No. 1: 4 (in 4 spells)

Track Listing:

1. Ive Got The World On A String
    2. Three Coins In The Fountain
    3. Love And Marriage
    4. From Here To Eternity
    5. South Of The Border
    6. Rain
    7. The Gal That Got Away
    8. Young At Heart
    9. Learnin The Blues
    10. My One And Only Love
    11. (Love Is) The Tender Trap
    12. Don't Worry 'Bout Me

From an album that features Frank Sinatra to a whole album of his music. Of course it’s exactly what you expect from Frank, swing and jazz numbers with the occasional ballad, but that doesn’t make it any less enjoyable. If you exclude Rogers and Hammerstein as an “act” then this album makes Frank the first artist to have multiple number one albums.

Famous tracks include Three Coins in the Fountain and Love and Marriage. In fact this album is quite heavy on the ballad side. I have to admit that I preferred his earlier album and straight after the High Society sound track, I’m finding this is meandering a bit as I feel I’ve had a bit of a Frank overdose. I better get used to it. We’ve got another Frank album and a soundtrack that features him coming up a bit later.
    Top up, Sue?

Ooh, a Moopy equivalent to the meticulous Then Play Long blog by Freakytrigger denizen Marcello C. He's currently up to March 1973, though you're going through them at a slightly faster tempo, so I trust you shall catch up soon! Also, you manage to be a bit more concise, it often takes me an entire lunch break to read through an entire post of his.

Those Telstar and 'you can't believe it's not the original artists' TOTP compilations from the early '70s are going to be a hoot
    Hey go get the doctor
    Doctor came too late...

I've seen his blog but not read that much of it. He uses overly flowery language and I find myself drifting off by the third paragraph.
    Top up, Sue?

Everything goes up by six Madison's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    I've seen his blog but not read that much of it. He uses overly flowery language and I find myself drifting off by the third paragraph.
    Does Slave write it?

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust
    And weep for those who trusted you.

9. NAT 'KING' COLE - Love Is The Thing

08/06/1957

Weeks at No. 1: 1 (1 week shared)

Track Listing:

1. When I Fall In Love
    2. End Of A Love Affair
    3. Stardust Listen Listen
    4. Stay As Sweet As You Are
    5. Where Can I Go Without You
    6. Maybe It's Because I Love You Too Much
    7. Love Letters
    8. Ain't Misbehavin'
    9. I Thought About Marie
    10. At Last
    11. It's All In The Game
    12. When Sunny Gets Blue
    13. Love Is The Thing

He may never have had a number 1 single but he gets a number 1 album, although if the chart had started before November 1952, he would have almost certainly have had a number 1 single. Winifred Atwell was the first black person to get a number 1 single and Nat is the first to get a number 1 album.

This album is of course exactly what you’d expect: smooth jazz and ballads from one of the most famous crooners of the time. When I Fall In Love is probably his most iconic song on here, but Ain’t Misbehavin’ is also worth a mention, a re-recording of which was featured as the theme tune to the dreadful 90s “sitcom” of the same name.

Despite the jazz connection, the backing to the tracks are all played on an orchestra, which relies heavily on the string section, with the occasional plodding bass notes and a very slight suggestion of percussion that’s barely audible. Musically, this album sounds like it could be the soundtrack to many films from 10 or 15 years earlier. It lends itself to wistful looks from a leading lady in black and white as she looks out towards a missing husband.
    Top up, Sue?

10. TOMMY STEELE - The Tommy Steele Story

08/06/1957

Weeks at No. 1: 4 (in 2 spells)

Track Listing:

1 . Take Me Back Baby
    2 . Butterfingers
    3 . I Like
    4 . A Handful Of Songs
    5 . You Gotta Go
    6 . Water, Water
    7 . Cannibal Pot
    8 . Will It Be You?
    9 . Two Eyes
    10 . Build Up
    11 . Time To Kill
    12 . Elevator Rock
    13 . Doomsday Rock
    14 . Teenage Party

20 years before we had Chas N Dave, we had cockney(ish) Rock N Roll from Tommy Steele. Born in Bermondsey, also the home of Jade Goody, this was the first of Tommy Steele’s two number 1 albums.

The longest track on this album is 2:24 and that’s pretty much the best thing I can say about it. It sounds incredibly cheap compared to the Rock N Roll we’ve had previously from the likes of Elvis and Bill Haley. A lot of the tracks sound like they’re being played on a ukulele and the sound is decidedly lo-fi. I have Ethiopian jazz from the 60s that sounds more polished than this!

I feel it’s a bit of a shame that the first Brit to have a Rock N Roll number 1 album isn’t in the same league as his US counterparts. In fact, this is the first UK artist to have a #1 album. I guess we’ll just have to wait for something a bit better…
    Top up, Sue?

I grew up listening to Tommy Steele - my mum had all his singles and albums. I have a certain affection for his songs as they remind me of being a young kid, they are as much part of my childhood as Doctor Who, Top Of The Pops, Blue Peter and The Adventures Of Black Beauty!

I have fond memories of Tommy Steele as well, but mainly for the Hans Andersen album which I remember being played A LOT in our house growing up.

I don't know about Robbie but Lolly was unlucky if his parents were still playing Tommy Steele albums in the SEVENTIES.
    Top up, Sue?

THE WINNER TAKES IT ALL Agnetha's Avatar
    How are you listening to all these?

I don't know about Robbie but Lolly was unlucky if his parents were still playing Tommy Steele albums in the SEVENTIES.
    That album was the soundtrack of a show about Hans Christian Andersen that was from the 70s, so it was played as an album for us rather than them. My parents would have been hammering The Carpenters and The Rolling Stones of their own accord.
    Last edited by lolly; 14-06-2011 at 10:10 PM.

My mother was still playing his albums in the 80s! Plus Guy Mitchell and a bit of Glenn Miller!

She's seen the light now, I don't think I've heard any of them for at least two decades...

So are you FANS?
    Top up, Sue?

Everything goes up by six Madison's Avatar
    He's no Winifred Atwell

A normal person must
    Dismiss you with disgust
    And weep for those who trusted you.

Sadly I won't be treated to an album of Winifred Atwell plink plonking her way through the hits. She never had a hit album.
    Top up, Sue?

So are you FANS?
    Not really!