12 dead in massacre at Parisian magazine office

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Kate

Kate she's for the streets BITCH

At this moment in time, yes. But in the past millions have been killed in the name of Christianity, Hinduism and even Buddhism, surely considered the ultimate "religion of peace". Loony extremists will seize on anything as justification for their atrocities.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  2. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Just like loony closet racists will jump on any one line to prove some kind of point about Islam, that is nothing at all to do with bigotry, but all to do with FACT.

3. That One

That One User

Again though, I don't disagree with anything you've said there... or see how saying "well other religions did it in the past too!" means what I said is wrong?

4. Kate

Well your tag says "THE religion of peace" implying you are singling it out for its irony.

5. Kate

If you'd said "all religion is bullshit" no-one would have batted an eyelid. (Well except Miss Bev perhaps)

6. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Yup, Miss Bev's oversensitiveness has been WELL ESTABLISHED :D

7. That One

That One User

I was just quoting the phrase used about Islam... I was singling it out for it's irony in light of recent events. If white Christians were currently waging the same war then I'd make the same sort of tag about them - it has nothing to do with the colour of anyone's skin, or their race.

I just made a snidey tag, I wasn't making any great statement - when taken to task I clarified that my position is that "a significant minority of the people who claim to be Muslim support terrorism and the murder of civilians" and that this is worrying. Even yesterday I would never have imagined it was even 10% of 100,000 in this country.

I didn't say that all (or any) Muslims should be killed.

I didn't say that all (or any) British Muslims should be deported.

I didn't say that all Muslims are terrorists.

I didn't (and never have) expressed support for Britain First or any far right political party.

8. Kate

Well I just meant that you always have something to say, really :D

edit: @ Bev

9. That One

That One User

And whilst I agree that all religion is based on bullshit, and have no interest in joining any of them personally, I think all of them have the potential to do a lot of good in the world.

10. Beverley

Poor ignorant That One. Jumped out of the pan and into the fire. :(

11. Kate

I think religion is only helpful for people who don't already have an inbuilt system of morals, but THAT'S FOR ANOTHER DISCUSSION :)

12. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

REALLY?

REALLY?

To think that religious satire is nothing more than a way of baiting, an expression of bigotry... It is peaceful, harmless mocking of an ideology completely at odds with atheism. Surely people of religion should be so secure in their beliefs that they just pity the atheists that mock them, rather than massacre them?

To even question the right to publish this material, or the value of it, actually worries me.

13. Kate

Does it personally offend you when someone mocks the Prophet Mohammed, Bev? (Not taking the piss, genuine question.)

14. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

It's just a traditional means of controlling the population with a set of moral codes, comforting and equally frightening Gods that punishes and celebrates in equal measure. We live in a far more complex world now, that doesn't need religion. But I'll defend anyone's right to have a faith in something, so long as it's not harmful to others. Islam is broadly not harmful (or that necessary IMO, but that's my very personal view, not one I think that should be applied), but there well advertised pockets that are. It's those pockets alone that have created such a misguided view among idiots and an unnecessary spotlight on other negative aspects. Without the idiocy of jihadists, we would barely hear about "muslim grooming gangs" from these hateful Britain First twunts, that would also be a very minority concern.

I wonder who created all this conflict back in the post cold war 1990s and what the actual reason was? Because the narrative does not seem natural.

15. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I'll have to agree with this. If we're discussing Islam and someone said Islam is shit it doesn't have to mean that they think every other religion is better.

What's wrong though, The One, is that what happens has little to do with Islam itself (unless you interpret it the way these fundamentalists do)...but I guess you know that already.

16. Beverley

RobotBoy, it is WAY more complicated than that. All I'm doing is being honest in telling you that I have some working out to do.

Kate, I'm not REALLY sure tbh! I've never thought about it, to be honest. I think my faith is greater than somebody mocking the Prophet. But the point that I guess I'm trying to make is that these caricatures are not new or unique, they continue a narrative of Islam and of the Prophet being warmongering, barbaric etc, since the first time that the West encountered the religion. So surely there is a layer of this that isn't simply about atheists pointing out the absurdity of Islam, when those Orientalist tropes are used to 'other' Muslims. MAYBE. I DON'T KNOW. I don't think I have the answers or solutions, or that I'm 100% right. Like I said, there's a lot of stuff I'm still learning about and working out.

17. Kate

I agree with all of that. That One's last comment has just got me thinking about the whole "would the world be better or worse off without religion" thing.

18. Kate

I confess I haven't actually seen the specific cartoon that provoked this attack. LINK anyone? (you can PM me if you're scared of an ISIS revenge attack on Star's Specsavers branch)

19. Kate

Oh found it now

20. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

I don't know why Ag is calling you racist. Islam is not a race. It's a religion. If anything, you're more likely to be Islamphobic than a RACIST.

I think criticism of the religion should come more constructively from the inside than the outside. "The religion of peace" is actually a catchphrase used by the Muslim moderates who are trying to push a more secular Islam down the extremist' throats, like when trying to banish the death penalty for apostasy and so forth.

I think pointing the finger at any religion is ridiculous. I mean you COULD, but what gives? The vast majority of the world is religious. e.g. instead of saying something like "Islam is misogynistic," one should be more pragmatic in their argument and say something like "I disagree with Islam's views on women such as half court testimonies and inheritance etc.," if you don't I wouldn't blame you, but you'll have to deal with all the offended religious people and you'd come off quite bigoted, I think.

21. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

That Islam has it's own phobia is horribly telling. I am aware of the difference between and being intolerant of someone's religion, but there's often a thin line. To boot, we're all one race, we just vary visually.

22. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

So the policeman that was killed on the street was Muslim himself.

23. Beverley

And the copy editor for the magazine was of Algerian heritage

24. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

The mind boggles.

25. Mugatu

Mugatu onlyfans.com/mugatu

I'm always hesitant to bring my general ignorance/10 year old's political worldview into these kinds of things but comedy doesn't need to target Islam anymore than any other religions.

It's the ignoble cunts running around pointing guns at innocent people that take the words of a book written thousands of years ago as directly applicable to modern society that we should be absolutely ripping the piss out of. No god is proud of them.

26. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

"The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills, let him believe; and whoever wills, let him disbelieve."

27. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It was only a matter of time

I'm praying my Moopy Deathpool prediction is right for this cunt.

28. Suedey

Suedey [Women yelling in background]

How come that CUNT hasn't been deported yet?

29. Suomi

Suomi User

Just finished reading a book called "Sapiens" by Yuval Noah Harari...one of the best anthropology books I've read. In it he talks about how homo sapiens first appeared, and then how they survived as the only homo- species. When you get to the 'cognitive revolution' 50,000 years ago you start to see the very first humans who would be just like us today.

Anyway he talks about how, unlike any other animals, large numbers of strangers can cooperate together if they share a belief in a common myth, and how all of our societies are structured like this - the myth of an economy, the myth of nationality, the myth of religion...and how our rapid advancement to the top of the food chain happened so spectacularly that it has left full of fears and anxieties about our position, which has in turn led to wars and catastrophes.

I would recommend this book to you guys on Moopy, particularly in light of comments about this awful story

30. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Almost everything we believe in is an utter myth. Sadly we're here and starting again just isn't an option.

31. Commotion

Commotion User

Interesting article.
    http://qz.com/322550/charlie-hebdo-has-had-more-legal-run-ins-with-christians-than-with-muslims/

The 'blasphemous' christian images are shown in the link.

32. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

A couple of those Christian ones ate truly offensive to me, especially the ones of Jesus. But in the very words of Jesus "Forgive them Lord, they know not what they do", that's all I'll say. Jesus is the original "I don't know her".

33. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Ha the one of Jesus is fucking hilarious

34. Mats

Mats User

deadly unfunny

35. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

More shootings, more death and a car chase in the rain.

36. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

I have refused to utter Je Suis Charlie because their 1970s schoolboy humour leaves me cold and cartoons are just garish. RIP and all but what a load of shit.

37. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

They're going to catch them today aren't they? I'm willing to bet it's all over by midday.

38. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

Fingers crossed

39. Mats

Mats User

they've been located but have taken a hostage/hostages, the police are currently negotiating

40. Kate

It's no Private Eye is it, from those covers. Or even VIZ. However I am pleased to have learnt the word "le fumier".