13 Reasons Why

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Steptacular, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Netflix's latest hit, so I jumped on board and have spent the last five days watching it. A teenage girl commits suicide and leaves behind tapes detailing 13 reasons why she did it.

The story unfolds nicely and keeps you craving the next episode, plus there's a nice amount of eye candy and it sells a nice moral message about how we should all be more nice to each other. I can imagine if I was 17 this show would be everything, and it is very good, but there are a few flaws and weak spots. For an American show it is pretty gritty, but I feel like it would've been even better executed as a British production.

The finale points toward a second season and I think as an ensemble of characters there's a fair amount of mileage in it.

2. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I found this really gripping.

The biggest mystery unsolved is how on earth did he never have to change the batteries on the walkman?

3. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

My other half is watching this today and I have to say that i'm finding the dead lass DEAD ANNOYING.

4. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I really didn't like Hannah at ALL until nearly 2/3 of the way through. I think with a little bit of pruning, maybe being 10 episodes instead of 13, it would have been a lot better, though of course the title kind of dictated the episode count anyway.

It was very good though, certainly the last 5 or so episodes are utterly gripping and THAT SCENE in particular was so incredibly executed. I just think it would have been more powerful overall with a ''show, don't tell'' approach. I suppose that's the age thing because I imagine the overly expository/obvious/stupid dialogue would work brilliantly if I was 10 years younger (and it did for my 17 and 18 year old sisters who watched it with me).

Tony though, UGH. I suppose these types of shows always need to 'wise' voice of reason type character, but did he have to be SO FUCKING ANNOYING and also why did they cast someone clearly about THIRTY FIVE.

5. Steptacular

Steptacular User

Yes THAT SCENE was actually awful. Well done on them for going there.

I had a love/hate thing with Tony, partly cute AF and partly annoying AF. Yes, he and Bryce looked far too old to be in that environment.

6. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

I liked Hannah. I guess you do feel more empathy for her when you know the full story as some of the earlier episodes can feel a bit trivial in comparison.

7. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

I started watching it and decided not to continue after episode one but then an act of God (possibly Hannah from BEYOND THE GRAVE) meant the show kept running and now I'm on episode 5 and willing to see it through. I'm hoping for a BIG REVEAL FRIDAY or some sort of twist soon though, as it's currently a little bit too Dawson's Creek with a bad attitude.

8. Steptacular

Steptacular User

It all feels a bit slow between 5 and 9 but then it starts to ramp up.

9. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

I finished it and now feel EMPTY INSIDE.

But, nevertheless, JEFF AND MONTGOMERY in me NOW :horny:

10. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

I have a question though, or maybe just bad memory but

Did Hannah and Skye had any sort of interaction? Like something that really mattered? Cause it didn't make sense to me that when she was writing down her list, Skye was one of the first people she wrote down

11. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

I liked it, I feel like it's got a good message but there are a lot of plot holes and to be honest there was a huge chunk of the show where I did just think 'You're bringing this on yourself bitch!!'

The whole tape 13 bit is just too far off the mark for me. There is just absolutely no way. Even the most grossly inadequate inept jobsworth would not do that. It's safeguarding 101 and they got that entire part so wrong I'm questioning if it was meant to be on purpose but it's so far from reality I don't get there rationale even as a plot device.

Any way... Jeff and Sheri were the best characters. 10/10 would bang.

12. POP!

POP! Across that county line

LOVED EVERY MINUTE

Bryce and Courtney are the fucking worst

13. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

So I’ve just binged season 1 and I found it weirdly extremely moving. I have to say, I fell in love with Clay from the start- my heart ached for the poor little guy and the episode when it reached his tape, shit, I spent the whole thing in floods of tears. Then I started praying that some miracle would happen and it would all be a dream or something ridiculous!

And yes, echoing the above on “that” scene. Devastating, horrifying and don’t even get me started on Mrs Baker’s reaction. The actress who played her was the standout for me, utterly superb throughout, but I thought the acting was universally good- especially Clay who handled the whole “edge of breakdown” thing so well.

Onto season 2 now. With a little break to get over it I think.

14. Suedey

Suedey CRAVE

I loved season 1 but I couldn't even make it past the first episode of season 2.

15. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I’ve heard such rumours, sadly...

16. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

We got 2 episodes into season 2 and gave up. Also loved the first season but the story has been told.

17. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I didn't mind the second season, though my tolerance for teen dramatics is pretty high. There were obviously flaws with it but the first run wasn't perfect either (TONY popping up all the time).

One character did seem to vanish midway through with no explanation.

18. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Just finished season 2

Bloody hell that was tough going and quite frankly a frustrating watch throughout. The final episode had a particularly brutal scene that left me feeling scarred :(

I only made it through it by having a chuckle that Hannah’s mum and Alex had the same haircut