1989 in review

Discussion in 'End Of Year Charts' started by Sharla, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

[video=youtube;fA5tyAkhnkM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fA5tyAkhnkM[/video]

21. Paula Abdul
    22. Dusty Springfield
    23. Sydney Youngblood
    24. Erasure
    25. Adeva
    26. Cher
    27. Soul II Soul
    28. Deborah Harry
    29. Holly Johnson
    30. Debbie Gibson

31. Kirsty MacColl
    32. Stevie Nicks
    33. Cyndi Lauper
    34. Tears For Fears
    35. The Eurythmics
    36. Kate Bush
    37. The Lightning Seeds
    38. Lisa Stansfield
    39. Roxette
    40. Chaka Khan

41. Living In A Box
    42. Bobby Brown
    43. Bananarama
    44. Sam Brown
    45. Pet Shop Boys
    46. Karyn White
    47. Tina Turner
    48. Janet Jackson
    49. Sinitta
    50. Gladys Knight

51. Fine Young Cannibals
    52. Electronic
    53. Kon Kan
    54. New Kids On The Block
    55. Bros
    56. Big Fun
    57. Then Jerico
    58. Marc Almond
    59. Hazell Dean
    60. The Beautiful South

61. Depeche Mode
    62. Boy Meets Girl
    63. Michael Jackson
    64. Billy Joel
    65. S''Express
    66. Natalie Cole
    67. Lynne Hamilton
    68. Bette Midler
    69. The Cure
    70. Technotronic featuring Felly

71. Monie Love
    72. Phil Collins
    73. Kim Wilde
    74. Wet Wet Wet
    75. The Beatmasters
    76. Richard Marx
    77. Samantha Fox
    78. Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville
    79. Simply Red
    80. Double Trouble & The Rebel MC

81. Deacon Blue
    82. Roy Orbison
    83. New Order
    84. The Darling Buds
    85. U2
    86. Kym Mazelle
    87. Alice Cooper
    88. Cathy Dennis
    89. Jody Watley
    90. Band Aid II

91. Prince
    92. Yazz
    93. Guns N'Roses
    94. R.E.M.
    95. The Christians, Holly Johnson, Paul McCartney and Gerry Marsden
    96. Brother Beyond
    97. Elton John
    98. The Beloved
    99. T'pau
    100. Cliff Richard

101. Sheena Easton
    102. Kaoma
    103. The Four Tops
    104. Alyson Williams
    105. Angry Anderson
    106. Donna Allen
    107. a-ha
    108. Rick Astley
    109. Aerosmith
    110. Mandy

111. Tanita Tikaram
    112. Milli Vanilli
    113. Queen
    114. Morrissey
    115. Roachford
    116. Don Henley
    117. The Reynolds Girls
    118. Danny Wilson
    119. Texas
    120. Hue & Cry

121. Jimmy Somerville
    122. Eartha Kitt & Bronski Beat
    123. Elvis Costello
    124. Enya
    125. Lil Louis
    126. Sybil
    127. Diana Ross
    128. Poison
    129. Wendy & Lisa
    130. Carly Simon

131. Michael Ball
    132. Halo James
    133. Damian
    134. Midnight Oil
    135. Chris Rea
    136. Simple Minds
    137. Mike & The Mechanics
    138. Electribe 101
    139. Freiheit
    140. Sandra

141. Aretha Franklin
    142. Sharon Dee Clarke
    143. Lonnie Gordon
    144. Tiffany
    145. Jive Bunny & The Mastermixers
    146. Stefan Dennis
    147. Michaela
    148. Waterfront
    149. Paul McCartney
    150. The Marines

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. ameraal

ameraal trash

fabulous! cannot wait *.*

3. Ag

Ag User

1989 was one of the GREAT MUSICAL YEARS.

4. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

The '80s are so '00s.

5. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

If Erasure's "Drama!", DM's "Personal Jesus", Kate Bush' "This Woman's Work" and the London Boys' two Top 5 hits don't get a look-in, this thread will be rendered NULL and VOID. But yes, bring it on!!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  6. ameraal

ameraal trash

how many songs will be on the list?

7. Doodvid

Doodvid User

*precum*

If the Reynolds Girls aren't top ten at least, know that I'll be kicking your Rolling Stones up your Fleetwood Mac.

8. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Quite arguably THE GREAT MUSICAL YEAR

9. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

They're all in the video so will all indeed be featuring.

My plan is to do it by artiste. But not a straight countdown. That wouldn't be possible with all the gays on the list.

Spoiler:
    There's currently a 3 way tie between Stevie Nicks, Yazz and Aisling and Linda.

10. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Apologies, I hadn't yet watched it. Wow, what a labour of love that is :o How long did that take you?!

Inspired choice to sequence Dusty and Liza right after one another too! Also nice to spot traces of STEFAN DENNIS :D

11. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

As a convicted lover of montages, that was amazing. Particularly Sonia just being a bint in general, Liza smashing it, Cliff mincing it, Marcella wiggling it... the list goes on. For this feature alone, I hope you make this a series and do all of the 80s.

12. That One

That One User

I never did follow up my stunning 1988 top 50, I had all the cover images uploaded too. I may dig it up after you're done to compare :o

13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It was a real labour of love, inspired by the wonderful SorB, but the main thing was downloading the videos and then working out what bits would make clips, and trying to fit them in.

There were a few videos I'd never seen until starting this. How did music lovers cope pre-YouTube?

My spreadsheet tells me there are 99 different artists in there, with two having more than one clip. If anyone wants to guess them all feel free!

14. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

15. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Seconded! If you do one for 1981, I DEMAND it be set to the tones of "Japanese Boy".

16. ameraal

ameraal trash

one of the artists with two megahits is obviously queen liza. and frankly that is all that matters.

17. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

OMG I had completely forgotten that video with the ARRAY of 70S CHAKAS

:disco: IN EXTREMIS

18. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

OH MY LORD. What a FABULOUS video! MARTIKA! DEBBIE! NATALIE! HAZELL! PAULA! And that's just for starters! :disco:

19. northernlad

northernlad all flowers in time bend towards the sun

This sounds like it will involve a huge amount of effort.

20. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

And we begin.

150 - The Marines

[​IMG]

Say Goodbye, released September, #82 - click here for listen
    Go Go Now, released December, #90 - click here for listen

Before 1989: I’ll be deeply impressed if anyone here is a fan of The Marines. Someone somewhere found a pretty girl who sounded like Bonnie Tyler on nicotine patches and stuck her with two non descript backing singers/hangers on to create a girl group. And thus The Marines were born, the proud owners of two top 90 hits, and the only act to feature in my countdown who don’t appear in the Guinness Book Of Hit Singles (8th edition).

During 1989: Helen Hoffner (the Faye Tozer one), Sarah and Denny (the dusky interchangeable bookends) had some great promotion on their launch and even got to support a certain Miss Kylie Ann Minogue on her tour debut, yet their two singles they released failed to catch on. Having worked his magic with Transvision Vamp earlier in the year, Zeus B Held twiddled the knobs and their two singles were proper belters which owe a lot to the Phil Spector wall of sound. Then Jerico’s Mark Shaw raved about Say Goodbye when reviewing the singles in Smash Hits, and Terence Trent D’arby gave them 10/10 on the Going Live video vote thing, because like him they were a CBS signed act and because they had nice teeth. I had this on grainy VHS, the video for Go Go Now was cheap as chips but the dance routine was easy for someone with poor coordination and GOD YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT BABY was a great moment. I await the day the videos are posted on YouTube in their glorious Technicolor. The PWL remix of Go Go Now is hidden way on there somewhere.

An aside: I bought Go Go Now on record at the time, but in the summer of 1990 when I was doing work experience at a noted high street music store, I was let loose in their attic and given the shit job no one else wanted: bagging up all the unsold cd singles, 7 and 12 inches into random lucky bags. 10 random singles for a quid. Not bad at all. I got to create about 20 bags for myself with all manner of goodies that will be popping up throughout this countdown. (Can I take this moment to apologise to anyone who ended up with 13 copies of Rock Aid Armenia’s Smoke On The Water in their goodie bag. In my defence it really was a boring job to do once I’d worked out what my pickings were going to be, and I did try rationing out so everyone got a good single but there were hundreds of copies of it). I’m still incredibly grateful I rescued the cd singles and can now appreciate both songs and their b-sides in 256kbps quality.

After 1989: The girls never got a third single, so they said goodbye and went went then. A few years later Helen popped back up again with a nice single called Summer Of Love (not the Faye Tozer one) which was a big hit in Europe for someone else and she got to sing it on Pebble Mill with some great hairography. Her entire solo album (featuring Bryan Adams no less) is on YouTube and is pleasant enough and she has yet, to my knowledge, compromised her dignity with desperate attempts on the reality circuit. Sarah and Denny remain forgotten.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  21. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

Fab. Is the red and blue a tribute to Smash Hits magazine?

22. Kalabaliken

OMFG! I LOVED the Marines! I had "Say Goodbye" on 7 inch single and I loved it and the B-side "If You're Looking For Love" - though I bought it for 10p in the bargain bin of my local record shop and there was no record sleeve, so I had NO IDEA what they looked like at the time!

I eventually bought it on CD single a number of years ago, but I never did manage to get "Go Go Now" - is there ANY chance you could stick it and any B-sides YKW?

I have a feeling one of the nondescript ones, not sure what her name is, but the one with the curly red hair released a single before in 1988 as That Girl - I have it on 12 inch single. Is this her?

[​IMG]

If this is only the START of the countdown this is going to be fucking AMAZING! :disco:

23. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

1989 was also a fantastic year for films. Are those going to be included here?

24. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

I have something up my sleeve for a slight detour into cinematic events. It's also the most important year we've had in world politics, as this article points out.

Kala - I thought you might be aware of them! I'll hide the songs in Helen's dreadlocks later, and if you're gagging for them I'll do the remixes the next time I'm at my mum's house and can have a rummage through the boxes of cds.

25. Kalabaliken

Thanks Sharla! I just heard Go Go Now on YouTube, it's EXACTLY the same as Say Goodbye! :D

The first record I ever bought was in 1988 (Tiffany's album on cassette no less) but 1989 was the first year that I actually properly started buying music with the pocket money I earned from my paper round, so this whole countdown is going to be so nostalgic for me!

26. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

149. Paul McCartney

[​IMG]

My Brave Face, released May, #18
    This One, released July, #18
    Figure Of Eight, released November, #42

Flowers In The Dirt, released June, #1

Before 1989: A member of some group which was big in the 60s, Jane Asher’s ex boyfriend had also had a fair bit of success solo and with other people, namely a blind man on a song about a piano, some cartoon frogs and Michael Jackson (more on him later).

During 1989: It was a good year for Old Sir Macca Thumbsaloft. He’d seen a song he’d written 24 years earlier return to the top 10 and raise money for charity (more on that later), he had a number one album (his fourth of the decade) and was a featured vocalist on a number one charity single (more on that later), which happened to be released on the same day as his comeback single, My Brave Face. Written with none other than Elvis Costello (more on him later) it wasn’t the hit that might have been expected, but it remains a nice tuneful effort which would have been improved with a Costello vocal. A couple of other singles followed, most unspectacularly. And that was that.

After 1989: With the exception of 1997’s quite lovely Beautiful Night, most of his musical output since has been bland or mostly ignored by anyone other than his hardcore fans. In an increasingly celebrity driven world, he was rather fortunate when his beloved backing singer Linda died of cancer in 1998, freeing him to marry the then nation’s sweetheart, the shy and retiring charity worker Heather Mills, and maintain a public profile away from his music career by riding on her Chloé coattails. Some would say the messy divorce proceedings tainted brand McCartney, but for me the humiliation of being wheeled out for a quite dreadful and passionless singalong medley thing on the 2009 X Factor final was far worse. Even my mum thought it was dreadful. But it would have been most appreciated in a certain vegan household near Brighton.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  27. Ag

Ag User

Wow. Sharla is around 40.

28. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

FUCK ME, I've not thought about 'Go Go Now' in about TWENTY YEARS. I used to buy absolutely everything with a PWL remix (including this, which I always thought was fabulous in that incarnation). Revisiting it on the platform at Tottenham Hale is making me feel rather all over the place :disco:

29. Ag

Ag User

And yes 1989 was an iconic year for multiple reasons, more than just music. A proper marker between eras on so many levels.

30. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I think I'm actually QUEENING OUT

31. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Helen, Denny and Sarah will be chuffed that they're still bringing joy into people's lives even though they've been erased from pop history.

32. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Why/how had I never heard The Marines before? That PWL mix is something else but of the two singles, 'Say Goodbye' is doing it for me right now. Sharla to write their Wikipedia entry please.

33. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Well, QUITE!

I refuse to believe anything would be improved with a Costello vocal. He may have written a few cracking tunes in his time but truly nails on blackboard for me, that man's voice.

34. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

148. Waterfront

[​IMG]

Nature of Love, released January, #78
    Broken Arrow, released April, #63
    Cry, released May, #17, USA #10
    Nature of Love, re-released September, #63
    Move On, released December, #76

Waterfront #45

Before 1989: Having been signed to EMI in 1987, this Cardiff based duo (one of only two Welsh acts to feature in this countdown) were let loose on an unsuspecting public a year later, but to muted acclaim. One was called Chris and one was called Phil but I can’t remember which was which, and the singer was good looking enough in his jeans and leather jacket, like an Aztec Camera Cymru, with a mate.

During 1989: For a while it looked like they were no hopers. Cry, a song about grooming an emotional sixteen year old (it was the 80s and she looked 21 so it was fine) had flopped when released in ‘88, and the two follow up singles also flopped, and it was only when Cry became a top 10 smash in the US that the Great British Public showed a mild interest and propelled it into the top 20. Latterly known as The Donna Lewis Effect, it worked once and they drifted off back into obscurity, never to be asked at the Aldi checkout "Aren't you that guy who did that song?"

After 1989: Officially one hit wonders, the singer did a solo album which flopped and then two decades later Phil’n’Chris got back together and released another album exclusively through Tesco, hoping for similar levels of success that came Nadine Coyle’s way when she did the same. Their inclusion on Now 15 has made indelible their imprint on the musical consciousness of the nation and they might just occasionally pop up on people’s iPods, before they’re quickly skipped. And they retain their place in history as the only Welsh duo to have had a US top ten hit. Remember that for pub quizzes and Pointless appearances.

35. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

They really were BARGAIN BIN STAPLES

36. Kalabaliken

I remember them I only for the reason of seeing their records for 10p and not even bothering because they were blokes! I have no memory of Cry though, but it's pleasant enough. They're no Climie Fisher though!

37. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I always did love a poster bag.

38. Man in a Hamster Wheel

I seem to merge Waterfront with Hue and Cry (who presumably are still to appear) in my mind. Same basic genre, same 'male duo sorely lacking in starpower' constellation, just a different Celtic nation!

39. Man in a Hamster Wheel

And I'm calling Shaky as the other Welsh artisté still to come. He followed fellow Welshman Tom Jones (who seems to have only had Phyllis Nelson cover Top 50 SMASH "Move Closer" in '89) by teaming up with The Art of Noise, though I haven't yet had the pleasure(?) of hearing the result. I wish it were Dame Shirley, but sadly she didn't have any hits at all between 1987 and 1996.

40. Kalabaliken

Hue and Cry were MUCH bigger than Waterfront though. Or is that just because they're from my hometown?