2020 Democratic Primaries

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Mugatu, Oct 30, 2018.

1. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Just cause he’s gay doesn’t mean he gets a free ride

He is no daddy like our Bern

2. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I don’t doubt any of that, it’s how American politics and its clientelism culture works. But isn’t that still preferable to four more years of Republican rule, with Trump even?

3. ameraal

ameraal i just wanna stay in the moonlight

i think buttigieg focused on iowa very early on in terms of campaigning and advertising, it's very much his demographic and he has been a strong contender there for a while now.

iowa is important because it speaks to the fabled electability of the candidates, it sets the tone and a narrative for the whole process and most successful presidential nominees have won there - it's influence on the election is utterly outsized and i think there are rumblings to change that - not sure who would benefit from it still.

4. ameraal

of course. i'd have buttigieg (and warren) over trump any day. the battle, as i see it right now, is to limit the influence of corporations over the democratic process. currently, capital has bought and almost completely subjugated democracy to cater to its needs.

5. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Of course not, but judging from some of the comments here and elsewhere in the hbtq community, being gay seems to give him a harder (:ken:) ride.

6. ameraal

his sexuality shouldn't matter either. his policies and track record are the problem with buttigieg. fuck identity politics.

Beverley, Mugatu and COB like this.
  7. COB

COB Pissbaby

He's very evasive about what his policy platform actually is, and what is known about it isn't great for anyone that doesn't want more of the same technocratic neoliberal shit. He's a former military intelligence officer (for me this is an immediate strike against him but your mileage may vary), who then went to work for the consulting firm McKinsey. McKinsey are involved in some pretty shady stuff all around the world, so I wouldn't trust anyone associated with them to have anything remotely approaching decent foreign policy.

Beverley likes this.
  8. COB

COB Pissbaby

Oh, and also I hate gays.

Diddy, Penelope, Shirley and 3 others like this.
  9. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

True, but how are you going to win if you don’t have the financial and electoral backing in a country like the US?

Since the election is always binary, you have to win the middle and some more.

Sanders and Buttigeg I believe have the chance to win over white working class, but some of the other candidates that seem to compete with each other on being the most progressive are only scaring people away.

10. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

As someone said, there’s a fundamental rule in politics (in the Republican party) that says ”Don’t run on boutique issues in a Wallmart nation”. Sad, but true... and the democrats are doing the exact opposite.

11. COB

COB Pissbaby

One thing to note about Pete is that his campaign has put most of their resources into Iowa and New Hampshire - how he holds up after that is entirely down to whatever momentum he ends up getting from this win(?) in Iowa. He's definitely not winning South Carolina, his numbers with black voters are through the floor.

12. ameraal

by gaining massive grassroots support. that is what sanders is trying to do, he is outperforming all his rivals who have been taking big corporate bucks with small donations. the rules need to be changed and i think he is the only one committed to doing (for the last few decades too).

also, sanders' message is a populist one, if anything you can say his policies are too too populist. they are directly aimed at improving life for the working class.

COB likes this.
  13. ameraal

did you see the four african-american women right behind him during his "victory" speech? so utterly shameless.

14. Mugatu

Mugatu a policy wonk with sex appeal

I’ve seen more criticism of Buttigieg based on his debate performances, personality, and record as a mayor, so these are some of the 2020 policies of his that I dislike. I’m not bothered by him being gay, or having the word “butt” in his name. We can’t do anything about either of those things, unfortunately.

• His “Medicare for All Who Want It” plan, which keeps healthcare firmly market-based, won’t fix the pointless bureaucracy created by Obamacare, and won’t cover people who can’t afford to pay for the public option.

• His support for charter schools, which have been a disaster for teachers’ unions and funnel money away from public education.

• His support for intervention in Syria and continued military presence in Afghanistan and Iraq, when the US intervening typically makes these situations even worse.

• His support for increasing the US defense budget, which is currently more than $700 billion (more than the next 7 countries combined) and should be spent on improving people's lives, not bombing the crap out of foreigners or buying fighter jets that can't fly in rain.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  15. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

That’s why I said I believe he has a chance. That’s the kind of populism they need.

16. ameraal

this is the world we live in:

17. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

I probably would have punched the cunt in the face. So yeah bravo precinct woman.

18. Mats

Mats User

"flipping out"

19. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Looks staged to me

20. ameraal

please, universe, let it be staged.

21. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

And he's basically a white supremacist so I don't give a fuck that he's a queen

22. Mugatu

Meanwhile, it's Wednesday, 29% of the results are still not out, and the Democrats have barely said a thing about what's going on or when we're going to get them.

Apparently we're getting another "tranche" of results in the afternoon Iowa time, which could be less than 10% given how last night's release was structured.

Only 170,000 people voted! There is no way it should take this long.

23. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

What’s the reason behind that statement?

24. Mugatu

UPDATE: Fourteen hours after the last set of results, an extra FOUR PERCENT of them have been released :)

25. ameraal

26. ameraal

Jark likes this.
  27. Jark

Jark User

so... with 100% Bernie has won but they don't want to announce it yet to avoid adding to his momentum going into New Hampshire, right?

28. ameraal

it's looking pretty good for conspiracy theorists, the water's been muddied. if biden had fallen below 15% they'd be having a field day.

buttigieg and sanders are pretty close in those tallies, so it looks like there isn't going to be a runaway winner at any rate.

29. COB

COB Pissbaby

Apparently it's just the satellite caucus results yet to be announced? Those are expected to be strong for Bernie.

The New York Times election needle breaking/flipping has been quite funny:

One of the nerds behind it explained they forgot to include the satellite caucuses in their data and has been apologising, but doing so between tweeting things like this:

THE NEEDLE is mother, THE NEEDLE is father.

Penelope, Mugatu and Jark like this.
  30. ameraal

31. Mugatu

Freud would have many things to say about the all-knowing needle.

I can't believe they're making people wait overnight into a fourth day for the last 3% of results. What a mess. At least Bernie is going to win.

32. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Fucking shambles

33. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

It really feels like this has been done to dampen the impact of a Bernie win.

34. Mugatu

I'd take most things Nate Zinc says with a pinch of salt, but Bernie winning California and Texas next month would be absolutely YUGE.

35. COB

COB Pissbaby

Massachusetts not going to Warren would be quite something too! She would NEED to drop out beforehand if there's any risk of losing in her home state, it would be too mortifying otherwise.

Mugatu likes this.
  36. Mugatu

If Bernie's going to win the state delegate equivalent totals and (officially) Iowa with it, we need these last few satellite caucuses to have a combined turn-out of more than 600.

In lieu of doing any actual work, I've been digging around on Twitter and found people calling up a nursing home in Cedar Rapids where they held a caucus to see how many people turned up on Monday :D There are a couple union halls to be counted that might swing it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  37. Mugatu

The manager of the DNC is asking to speak to the manager.

A "recanvass" appears to be a county by county recount. Funny timing with 97% of the votes reported :DAF:

38. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Iowa results expected after the election in November.

39. ameraal

this is truly stinking at this point.

40. Mugatu

The "final" results are here. People are still finding errors in the state delegate counting, so who knows at this point. Pete wins by 1.5 SDEs.

National delegates are TBC but Pete and Bernie will leave with the same amount.

Jark likes this.