2020 Democratic Primaries

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Mugatu, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Mugatu

Mugatu a policy wonk with sex appeal

It's funny how Bernie has actually been fairly apologetic and restrained in criticising Warren and Biden, but has no qualms about going after this cynical little careerist. I'm glad the gloves are finally coming off. Get him, king!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    KindaCool, COB and Penelope like this.
  2. COB

COB Pissbaby

More from Nate Tin:

I'm trying not to get too excited, but FUCK :disco:

Mugatu likes this.
  3. ameraal

ameraal tennis

a while ago noam chomsky said sanders wouldn't win. since then i've adjusted my expectations about his prospects but at this point i think that even if he doesn't become president he's done a lot to wake people up. he woke me up at any rate.

vespertine likes this.
  4. Lucille

Lucille User

Those state abbreviations are stressing me out. What on earth is GU?

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Guam?

6. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

7. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Ding ding ding.

8. ameraal

ameraal tennis

yeah, yeah, i know, but this made me laugh.

the klob is truly the grace adler of the race. nbc should give her a shitcom already. it can be called amy!
    yang is just embarrassing. i love that the list of people who have endorsed him includes teri hatcher.

get universal basic income, bitch!

9. ameraal

ameraal tennis

i am also loving steyer's man crush on bernie *.*

i can relate. on top of everything, bernie has really been bringing me the giggles lately.

10. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

What IS Yang still doing there?

11. Jark

Jark User

Yang will have to drop out soon I think.

I find the state of the race really interesting. It can't be denied that currently it seems like Bernie's nomination to lose, but it's early and a lot can change still.

I watched an interesting MSNBC (I know, I'm sorry) analysis from Ari Melber, who I like a lot, which pointed out that nobody ever wins the nomination if they don't finish top 2 in New Hampshire. And usually it goes to the outright winner of NH, although Hillary won there in 2008 before Obama's momentum was in full force. So essentially if the results match the polls this week, we can call Bernie and Pete the two frontrunners for the nomination and Biden will be as good as done for.

I think Biden will have to drop out within a month or so - his fundraising is tragic, repositioning from frontrunner to underdog is an almost impossible task, and once you're on the wrong side of momentum staging a comeback is almost impossible.

Warren might be hoping for a boost in support when that happens, but realistically (and surprisingly) she seems to share more voter crossover with Buttigieg, so once Biden is out I'd expect her to be close behind. There really hasn't been much good news for her campaign in a very long time at this point.

Then the question is can Buttigieg overcome his lack of support among black and ethnic minority voters? Black support is still a pathetic 2% so it will take a Herculean turning of the tide to change that, and probably a runaway victory in NH and South Carolina, which currently does not seem on the cards.

And then what about Amy? She has momentum right now, is coming off a strong debate performance and could theoretically pick up a lot of votes from the exodus of Biden supporters. Those who want a female candidate and are frustrated by Warren's flip-flopping and determination to play nice even as she needs to get more aggressive might find something to like in Klobuchar. So much of this race seems to be hanging on personality over policy so Amy being so centrist compared to Liz probably doesn't matter much.

I'm worried about Bloomberg. His ad spend is colossal. Can you win the nomination without even competing in New Hampshire? It's never been done before but then a billionaire attempting to buy the Presidency is in itself a relatively new phenomenon, one we know can work. He looks positively fucking ancient compared even to Bernie and Joe, it's honestly slightly unsettling. He must he deluded to imagine he's the right man to lead the country. And yet I think he has more chance than Warren, Biden or Klobuchar of getting on the ticket. That's worrying.

I just hope what looks right now like a fairly straightforward path to the nomination for Bernie doesn't turn out to be an illusion. The devil works hard, but the establishment will work harder to prevent a Sanders presidency, so people on the ground really need to come through with their support and stop fucking around with this Buttigieg nonsense - he's almost Republican in some of his values and would clearly make a fucking terrible president. The next month will be crucial...

Mugatu likes this.
  12. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

The cupboard where I keep all the rammekins from my GU pots.

13. ameraal

ameraal tennis

i have to sidebar a little but i've discovered, rather perversely, that after sanders the candidate i find most engaging is tulsi gabbard.

in a completely different way obviously, but i find her very compelling to watch. and while i like her, i also have strange mistrust of her from even before the hillary comments.

i'm mostly posting this because i love her spin from full frontal to 3/4 in the opening scene. yas.

i probably just love her for supporting bernie and that storm from the x-men vibe what with the white streak of hair and the all white costumes.

14. Jark

Jark User

Bernie has an average 5-7 point lead over Buttigieg in every poll going into New Hampshire today. It's looking good.

Several polls also have Amy in third. A fourth place finish for Warren in NH will surely be the moment her campaign becomes impossible to sustain?

ameraal likes this.
  15. ameraal

ameraal tennis

good riddance. i'm still so angry at her, she would've been a perfect vp but i guess that bridge has been burnt.

16. Mugatu

MOOPY PRIMARY UPDATE #7 – NEW HAMPSHIRE (SUPER SIZE!)

[​IMG]

The first primary of the race takes place today in chilly New Hampshire, home of ski resorts, the first home video game and Mandy Moore.

After the chaos of the Iowa caucus, our first trip to New England should be a more predictable affair, and hopefully will cut down the field somewhat. Do you remember Deval Patrick? He’s still running. What about Michael Bennet? Could you pick him out of a line-up? It doesn’t matter, he’s still running.

The primary system is much easier to explain. People turn up to a polling station in their district precinct and cast their ballots, that’s about it. Candidates need to earn above 15% of the vote to receive any delegates. There are 33 delegates up for grabs in total, with 24 of those apparently decided today. Again, not many, but New Hampshire is a bellwether state like Iowa.

The final results will be made available by the state at 12pm tomorrow (5pm UK), pending quality control by the Clinton crime family. If there's a clear winner, we can expect the race to be called a bit before that, hopefully in the morning.

Final pre-primary polling

Suffolk – Sanders 27%, Buttigieg 19%, Klobuchar 14%, Warren 12%, Biden 12%, Yang 3%, Gabbard 3%, Steyer 2%, Patrick 1%.

Emerson – Sanders 30%, Buttigieg 23%, Klobuchar 14%, Warren 11%, Biden 10%, Yang 4%, Gabbard 2%, Steyer 2%, Patrick 1%.

CNN/UNH – Sanders 29%, Buttigieg 22%, Biden 11%, Warren 10%, Klobuchar 7%, Gabbard 5%, Yang 4%, Steyer 1%.

This should be a Bernie victory. He beat Hillary here by 22% in 2016 and has comfortably led polling for the last few months, although I think Buttigieg is slightly underrated in these polls. Pete has gained several points since Iowa as moderate voters start to line up behind him instead of Biden, who’s likely to finish fifth. Astonishingly, the Klobuchar surge is now real. #KLOBUCHARGE #KLOBUCHARMY

Other noteworthy news

Most of the headlines are still focusing on the Iowa caucus shambles, although there was another fairly boring debate on Friday night and plenty of MSDNC (or DNCNN?) bullshit to get irate about.

Next time you think the Republicans are the only party who are into alternative facts, consider the Iowa Democratic Party. They have refused to correct clear mathematical errors on caucus worksheets because correctly adding things up constitutes "personal opinion". The party of science!

The Sanders and Buttigieg campaigns have filed to have the Iowa caucus results recanvassed in tons of precincts.

There was little to take away from the debate that we haven't already heard. The Klob smelled blood and went for Pete's lack of experience, Bernie took aim at Pete's billionaire donors, Biden openly admitted that his campaign was tanking, Warren was apparently there too.

Back to the real news that matters - harassing politicians online.

For all of you electability people who are suddenly developing a strange, new-found respect for the oligarch Mike Bloomberg, Current Affairs have another take-down of his right-wing policies as Republican mayor of New York City, and his sneering attitude to the average Joe.

It's no "listen, fat", but Biden continues to casually insult voters in a completely incoherent but charming way.

Pete Buttigieg insists Democrats must balance the budget and reduce the deficit. Austerity, meaningless platitudes about "boldness" and "innovation" - isn't he just gay David Cameron?

Pete gets booed, called Wall Street Pete, pelted with rotten tomatoes.

Queen Marianne roasts Pete on Twitter.

This week in descriptions of Bernie Sanders and his supporters: a "Red" who wants "public executions in Central Park", "digital brownshirts", "combative", a "swarm", vile misogynists. (Neera Tanden, an unhinged member of Hillary's inner circle, feuding with random left-wing Twitter accounts while drunk on red wine and Xanax at 3am is one of the joys of election season)

Circling the drain

Andrew Yang fires dozens of campaign staffers after weak showing in Iowa

After disappointing Iowa vote, Warren says she needs to be ‘careful’ with money

First head rolls after Biden’s weak Iowa finish

Dark Carnival, ameraal and Jark like this.
  17. Mugatu

I've seen a few performatively woke libs starting to do this, saying that Bloomberg is actually better on race than Sanders because his conservatism will guarantee a win and protect POC from Trump.

This logic certainly isn't backed up by the data so far, but it did make me think a bit.

In this climate, you could probably launder a load of right-wing economic policy into being accepted by progressives, just by branding it as sparing minorities from the greater evil. It can't be a healthy way to see the world.

18. Ag

Ag User

Whoever can beat this cunt I don't REALLY CARE ANYMORE.

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  19. ameraal

ameraal tennis

i listened to a bit of amy! who actually i heard for the first time talking about actual policies - probably total bs, but still she had a powerful bit about childhood poverty and struggling households. i thought it was an interesting change in tone for her.

i'm really starting to feel bad for buttigieg but then i felt a bit bad for fucking weinstein so i guess i'll feel bad for just about anyone. he'll drop off soon enough.

i think bloomberg and the homey klobucharm are the ones to watch out for from the current contenders.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM
  20. ameraal

ameraal tennis

is tulsi campaigning in new hampshire? what is she doing besides twirling on office chairs in tv studios?
    i love that her numbers are higher than steyer, patrick and even yang in one of those polls.

still mad at warren for imploding.

21. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

That's always been my position. Some here would disagree :eyes:

Ag likes this.
  22. Ag

Ag User

but but but what about THIS and THAT.

23. Ag

Ag User

Yang has dropped out.

24. Ag

Ag User

25. Ag

Ag User

26. Jark

Jark User

Biden and Warren both sub 10% with 86% reporting

25.7 Sanders
    24.4 Buttigieg
    19.8 Klobuchar
    09.3 Warren
    08.4 Biden

wow!

27. ameraal

ameraal tennis

that lead is too narrow for my liking.

i would kill (a nazi) for a glimpse at what's happening behind the scenes at the flailing campaigns. i keep conjuring up images of selena myer and wondering what warren is planning... i thought she might be teaming up with biden but i'm starting to see an alliance with the klob in her future.

28. Jark

Jark User

When she endorses I'm sure she will endorse Amy. Warren is a fucking ex Republican anyway, I'm glad she's done.

29. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

I’m here for a Warren-Klob alliance. Mainly for the gags.

And what does it matter anyway, I’m sure Trump will win no matter who is against him.

30. ameraal

ameraal tennis

i think buttigieg, kloubuchar, biden and warren would lose to him.

i think sanders would win against him. i'm unsure about bloomberg.

31. ameraal

ameraal tennis

i think she had her merits and i'm sure there were reasons behind it but she made such silly mistakes...

32. Mugatu

Bennet has also dropped out.

I'm feeling slightly nervous about Bernie's lead in this one, he's going to win but not by enough. I have awful premonitions of Pete or someone else being anointed as the unity candidate at the convention, preceded by speeches like this:

Hiring ex-Clinton staff to run your campaign: not even once. In October, Warren was the favourite for the nomination, now she's on track for zero delegates in the state right next to hers.

ameraal likes this.
  33. ameraal

ameraal tennis

34. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

But it’s not going well for Bloomberg so far, or am I missing something?

35. ameraal

ameraal tennis

sidebar: this is going to be talked about a lot too.

36. ameraal

ameraal tennis

it's going swimmingly for bloomberg - he's rising in polls thanks to his crazy advertising budget and he has by all accounts bought his way into the next democratic debate. americans really do seem to love an oligarch, sorry i meant, successful businessman :)

37. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Even if he isn’t in the race now? (I don’t know how this voting system works)

38. ameraal

ameraal tennis

39. ameraal

ameraal tennis

he skipped iowa and nh cause they have a low delegate count (and that is all that matters to him) but he is most definitely in the race.

RaspberrySwirl likes this.
  40. Ag

Ag User

or Trump.

ameraal likes this.