A Schlager Guide to Stockholm...a few questions

Discussion in 'Melodifestivalen' started by Pingu, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Pingu

Pingu Never thought I'd work again

Hey all. I'm aware I posted a thread a bit similar to this last year, but this one is more focused, there are a few things I'd like to know! It's my third year going to Stockholm for Melodifestivalen; I didn't really do much the first year other than see the shows, and last year I made a bit more out of the trip, but I'm there for a shorter time this year and I want to make the most out of it.

I'm not looking for general things to do in Stockholm, I've begun finding that out elsewhere, this is more for the Melodifestivalen side of things, and I've got three questions.

1. APART FROM PARADISE, what are some good clubs that are likely to be playing Melodifestivalen / Eurovision stuff and/or have PAs that weekend? Also are there any good karaoke bars?

1.5 (just remembered this one but it's the MOST IMPORTANT ONE so read it!). I don't have tickets for the final this year, and I probably won't get any, so does anybody know of anywhere good to watch the final? Somewhere with a good atmosphere but where I'll actually be able to hear the thing!

2. This is one for nearer the time, and especially for any Swedish people on here, but it would be really good to know in advance when and where some of the artists are going to be doing PAs around Stockholm. If anybody could tell me where I find this info out before I go, or even better, post it in this thread, that'd be great. I'm particularly interested in who's appearing at the Globen shopping centre as it's next to the hotel that I'm staying in.

3. Just out of interest, who all from here is going this year?

Thanks for any help! :disco:

2. Alla

Alla ®

1. Patricia is the place to go on Sunday if you're still there. It's a boat and they play Eurovision & schlager tunes. On saturday after the final OGAE Sweden hosts a party where they also play MF & ESC hits. You have to pay a small fee to get in but it's worth it.
    1.5 You can still get tickets for the final right there that very weekend, some friends did last year and got good sits.
    3. VoR and me are confirmed already:disco:

3. Pingu

Thanks for the info :swede:

Does VoR know you've booked yourself into the room next to him though? :p

From the arena box office? Or from elsewhere?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  4. Alla

Alla ®

I didn't! I don't know which room he's staying.

Yes, the Arena box office, they got them on friday, the day before.

5. Alla

Alla ®

Btw VoR, are you gonna go to the second hand shops looking for bargains? (cds) :shy:

6. Alla

Alla ®

Question for Stockholm people (if any): is Paradise still having schlager parties this weekend?

because their website is not updated with any artist or anything. Last year Jenny Silver was there. Will we have at least Babsan? Anyone?

7. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Lars is deejaying at Paradise! And their facebook page has a list of who's performing.

I'LL BE THERE :disco:

8. Alla

Alla ®

Please tell me, who's performing then??? I'm there on friday, who is gonna be there?

9. Sheena

10. Alla

Alla ®

Oh :o hang on, that's on Saturday, damn it! :evil: I have another party so I'll miss this. I guess on Friday we'll get something like Babsan then.

If your friend Lars is there on friday too tell him to play only schlager & ESC tunes like they used to do, I went mad when last year they started playing Spice Girls' Wannabe, Madonna & Lady Gaga :Oi:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  11. Sheena

It's LARS off HERE! The poster- you can ask him yourself :D !

12. Alla

Alla ®

Oh right :D I hope he reads this :disco:

13. Pingu

Oh for heaven's sake what's the big deal if they play a COUPLE of non-schlager songs that are still gayer than you'd hear in most other clubs?

*pictures Alla pausing on the dancefloor and then going mental swearing in Spanish at the audacity of Madonna - Celebration being played* :D

14. Pingu

Also I am a little concerned that there's been no word about any performers on Friday. I know it's usually good on Friday night and I'll be there with bells on either way, but I'd be a bit gutted if they didn't have any PAs happening. I'm still determined to go see Perrelli on Saturday :disco:

15. Cécile

Cécile Shep's Classic 12"

This Alla Flickor loves VoR thing is very amusing, but if I were VoR, I'd seriously consider a different hotel and spring för livet.

16. Alla

Alla ®

Spot on :D Actually, I can tolerate Celebration and Bad Romance, but stopping our schlager tunes to play Wannabe was too much!

I'll be there on Friday too, and we'll get Babsan, remember I told you. All you have to tell him a few hours before there is free drinks and Spanish men .

17. Pingu

Honestly, I would be TOTALLY alright with Babsan performing, I think it'd be a hoot! :D

18. Alla

Alla ®

C'mon, you can't wait for me uploading VoR pics I take secretly. And I promise I will :disco:

19. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Is Babsan a member of Diamond Dogs? They performed at Paradise in 2009 and were AMAZING.

Fat Kikki Daniellsson singing 'En Papaya Coconut' while stuffing her face was a particular CRUEL HIGHLIGHT. :D

20. Pingu

You know, this whole Alla 4 VoR 4eva thing started out being quite funny and then got old quite quickly for me, but for some reason now I'm suddenly finding it hilarious again and I've no idea why. Maybe just the cheer ridiculousness of it :confused:

21. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Alla, are you ACTUALLY staying in the same hotel as me?

JUST ASKING

*hires bodyguard*

22. Alla

Alla ®

Oh I remember that, they were fabulous! Even when I couldn't understand a single word.

23. Alla

Alla ®

We'll talk about it in private, if you don't mind :disco:

Enough madness, I understand people find it tedious :shy:

24. Pingu

Hey don't stop, it's people finding it so tedious that tickles me about this whole thing :D

Besides, you can't help how you feel!

25. Pingu

BY THE WAY FOLKS

Just thought I'd let you all know that my radio show today is a Swedish special! 100% of the songs in the show will be Swedish-written, Swedish-produced, sung by Swedish artists, or all three. Just because I felt like it and I'm that excited about Melodifestivalen. It's on from 7-9 on Discover Radio, the link for which is in my signature.

I hope some of you can join me! It gets very lonely (even when my co-presenter is taken into account).

26. Alla

Alla ®

Oh no, you made both posts so close I only read the first one and missed the last one, I would have listened to, damn it.

27. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

HIYA I'm going to Stockholm this weekend, if there are any particular tips anyone has for whatever I will gladly accept them

28. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I was only there for a competition so a bit of a sketchy weekend and what I'm going to say may be super obvious but

- they have a bike-hiring scheme for tourists that is very cheap, easy to set up and convenient, you can activate it in any newsagent/corner shop I think. It's a very flat city so I definitely recommend it
    - the small central island (Gamla Stan?) was very quaint and lovely to walk around, there's a posh hotel tower south of it with a top floor bar with views all over the city that is worth going to (the views are free)
    - the town hall is totally worth seeing, it's quite a peculiar building and has lots of interesting history, I really enjoyed that
    - there's the ABBA museum of course, which is a bit kitsch but fun. The island where it is has a few other interesting museums
    - we got a ferry from the harbour to Vaxholm, it was a really sunny day and it was LOVELY. The area around Vaxholm was idyllic (we had an amazing lunch by the sea in a little cafe), and it was very easy to return to Stockholm on the coach (around 30 minutes to a tube station)

It's a lovely city. Enjoy!

dUb likes this.
  29. Pingu

I was in Stockholm last week for Pride and was trying to remember how on earth I had first found out about Patricia. Thanks @Alla!

30. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Amazing, thanks Peeks!

31. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

- Djurgården; the park island with museums and such. (I would skip the Abba museum, it’s crap)

- Gamla stan; the old town, it’s usually crowded with tourists and the smaller streets off the main path are the nicest.

- Södermalm/SOFO; the areas around Nytorget and Södermannagatan are perfect for a stroll, food and shopping.

- Stadshuset; the townhall on Kungsholmen island.

- The archipelago; ferry to Vaxholm or Sandhamn

32. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Things you should definitely avoid: