a thread about the future of the global left

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by ameraal, Apr 24, 2020.

1. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

the climate seems to be ripe for discussions about the future of capitalism. and there seems to be a lot to be said.

i like yianis varoufakis and he is one of a very few european politicians on my radar.

2. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Good luck with the thread am because I think I can already predict what's going to happen here :side-eye:

I like Yanis and that little speech he made is nice on a superficial shareable moment level but the reality is that *real* democracy isn't something you can implement in a hyper-capitalist society because the system itself creates different strata of power depending on the money you have from the get-go (birth, education, class, etc). It may be '1 person, 1 vote' in a democracy but we all know that some votes carry more weight than others.

I'm not a total pesimist but I don't think we will see a radical push against capitalism in our lifetime. It's so entrenched in the way we live that it would require either a total revolution (a pandemic x 1,000) or small incremental changes by continuous progressive governments across the whole world that aren't completely undone by the market or the following government and I don't know which one is unlikelier!

Mugatu likes this.
  3. COB

COB The Red Cyclone

I really don't know what's going to happen, it feels like electoral politics are a bit of a dead end and maybe the focus should be on increasing the power of workers in other ways.

4. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

5. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

Lol wrong thread.

Beverley likes this.
  6. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

The issue always come back to values to me. Capitalism can do wonderful things and is only destructive when it's misused. It's why I think social and emotional learning in schools is so important. Kids need to know how your actions and decisions with money can influence others in your society. Instead of being groomed by greedy parents and spineless private schools that one day "this will all be yours".

Corny I know. But it always boils down to this for me.

vespertine likes this.
  7. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

the democracy in europe movement 2025 is launching the progressive international next week.

i became a member a while back and it feels like some momentum is starting to build. they're asking for donations if anyone is so inclined.

8. big ron

big ron Nude inspector