A thread for experimental, obscure and really interesting electronic music

Discussion in 'Dance & Electronica' started by OutSynk, Apr 25, 2017.

1. OutSynk

OutSynk Banned (by Suomi)

Oh sorry for the typo. It is vaporwave not waporwave.

2. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Thank goodness, I was worried things had got too sub-genre to be even remotely reasonable.

3. OutSynk

Good God Kevin Martin has ANOTHER project in works. His THIRD album for this year. Talk about PROLIFIC.

Zonal, the current collaborative proejct of Justin Broadrick (Godflesh) and Kevin Martin (The Bug) — who previously collaborated under the name Techno Animal — have signed to Relapse Records and will release a new full-length album on the label this fall. Title and exact release date are still TBA, but two new non-album songs are out now and they’re both dark, psychedelic, entrancing doses of genre-defying electronic music. Listen below. Relapse also say that they have “committed to triggering a comprehensive Techno Animal re-issue programme.”

4. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'm not a fan of that label - their roster is a serious cunt's cavalcade of pre-Internet edgelords but they're not totally irredeemable I suppose. It would be good to have the first Techno Animal album back in circulation as well as a handy collection of their various compilation appearances, low=pressing 12"s etc.

5. OutSynk

6. OutSynk

I can barely hear Burial in these and honestly they're nothing exciting.

Makes me want to listen to THIS instead

7. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Still can't accept y'all thought God weren't the gnat's knackers. You can't be a proper K-Mart stan unless you want to hear him honking a sax and blathering about car crashes in a completely incomprehensible fashion.

8. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Also, it's 25 years since the classic Isolationism compilation he curated. Find that and lob it in yr earholes. No idea if it streams anywhere but the internet always provides.

9. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

10. OutSynk

I had a brief look at a Techno Animal album on Spotify and most tracks were over 10 minutes. NO THANKS!

11. OutSynk

12. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

13. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Pussy.

:squid:

14. OutSynk

I do like a good 10 minute JOURNEY like "American Dream" on "Concrete Desert" but that one seemed just TOO MUCH. I might check it out anyway at some point if only because of the upcoming new material.

That compilation looks interesting though. Doesn't seem to be on Spotify so Soulseek to the rescue!

octophone likes this.
  15. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Would totally recommend - the Aphex Twin track is seriously rough going mind you... :D

If Soulseek doesn't provide, I can.

OutSynk likes this.
  16. OutSynk

I have been really enjoying Ikonika's THE LIBRARY ALBUM lately. Actually her first album that I've liked.

17. OutSynk

NEW OLD BOARDS OF CANADA

Boards Of Canada share previously unreleased track ‘XYZ’ from their Peel Session, July 1998. Included in ‘WXAXRXP Sessions’ – celebrating 30 years of Warp. Featuring ten specially selected sessions recorded for radio, ranging from early Peel Sessions to this year's WXAXRXP x NTS weekend. Available as individual vinyl and digital releases through all good record stores and as a bespoke box set via Bleep.com from 15 November 2019. Pre-order ‘WXAXRXP Sessions’ → https://bleep.com/wxaxrxp-sessions

18. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

Boards of Canada!

Actual new album’d be nice :side-eye:

Shall we? I’ll be David Koresh :disco:

19. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Boards Of Canada? Boreds of Canada more like it.

There's a Kelly Moran EP in this WXAXRXP fuckknowswhat and the Aphex Peel Session is a proper unreleased set too.

20. OutSynk

First second of this and I'm already shaking and crying in the corner.

:fuckoff:

Yvonne Mondle likes this.
  21. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

:bin:

22. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Seriously...I think Hi Scores and Music Has The Right...are great but it was diminishing returns thereafter.

23. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

:disco: Oh it always has me on the FLOOR

I used to play it at work and someone once said, “It’s no wonder you’re miserable”

RUDE!

OutSynk likes this.
  24. OutSynk

Did you even LISTEN to the "In a Beautiful Blace in the Country" EP? It is amazing (aside from the last track). Starting from "Geogaddi" things DID start getting worse (even though it's also regarded as one of their best albums) but there was always at least one MAX TRACK on whatever they released.

At this point I'm more excited about some old unreleased tracks than new material tbh. When I first saw "XYZ" I was hoping it would be THIS:

"LOUDER!"

*BASS BOOMS* *dies*

25. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Yes, I bought everything but "Tomorrow's Harvest" was the last straw - I didn;t even get to the end.

Also - "Starting from "Geogaddi" things DID start getting worse (even though it's also regarded as one of their best albums)". They've released 4 albums, five if you could "Twoism" cos it was reissued properly. Being "one of their best albums" isn't that hard.

26. OutSynk

I'm sorry, some think it's their BEST album. Either that or "Music Has the Right to Children".

Also the last track on "Tomorrow's Harvest" together with "Cold Earth" are the only ones I listen to so TOO BAD you didn't make it to that. I think it was also the preview track or used in the album trailer or something before the release.

27. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Hang on, you're defending their output but you only listen to 2 tracks from their last album??

28. OutSynk

I was defending their output up to "In a Beautiful Place Out in The Country" and said it went downhill after that aside from a few good tracks on each release?

29. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

Well I like all of them :)

30. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

So in other words you agree with me!

31. OutSynk

Mostly yes.

32. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

33. OutSynk

I'm currently listening to "Slow This Bird Down" in the office while the sun is shining directly onto my FACE. Maybe life isn't so bad?

34. Yvonne Mondle

Yvonne Mondle User

Just popping in to point out that, although not a follower of hseroK divaD, she’s a devoted Branch Davidian :weed:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  35. OutSynk

Feeling DEAD and EMPTY today so going to put on the TITLE TRACK to lift myself UP.

36. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

I discovered a rabbit hole of "artists that emulate Boards Of Canada" recently. Faex Optim was pretty decent actually:

37. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

In other news, this is really good:

https://semanticarecords.bandcamp.com/album/victory-over-the-sun-semantica-113

"Victory Over The Sun is the first Wanderwelle and Bandhagens Musikförening (Isorinne & Hypnobirds) collaborative album."

"‘’It happened in 1566 three times, on 27 and 28 of July, and on August 7, against the sunrise and sunset; we saw strange shapes in the sky above Basel.
    During the year 1566, on the 27th of July, after the sun had shone warm on the clear, bright skies, and then around 9 pm, it suddenly took a different shape and color. First, the sun lost all its radiance and luster, and it was no bigger than the full moon, and finally it seemed to weep tears of blood and the air behind him went dark. And he was seen by all the people of the city and countryside. In much the same way also the moon, which has already been almost full and has shone through the night, assuming an almost blood-red color in the sky. The next day, Sunday, the sun rose at about six o'clock and slept with the same appearance it had when it was lying before. He lit the houses, streets and around as if everything was blood-red and fiery. At the dawn of August 7, we saw large black spheres coming and going with great speed and precipitation before the sun and chattered as if they led a fight. Many of them were fiery red and, soon crumbled and then extinguished.’’

-Samuel Coccius, 1566- "

Zu-Klara likes this.
  38. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

39. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

WiDGe-> ! :o

40. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Sorry, who is?