Admin & Moderator Elections 2020

Discussion in 'Moopy Moop' started by Indie, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Also, @octophone and @VoR, while it is great to show transparency, perhaps this discussion is probably best kept to the mod forum? Dirty laundry and all that.

2. ButterTart

ButterTart Ты меня не тролль!

I lost my eyelids in a terrible industrial accident so I’ve not slept since 1997.

Mats, octophone, Rita and 2 others like this.
  3. Rita

Rita User

This certainly seems like a bigger success than the last mod/admin elections when we were pretty much giving positions away. :disco:

MORE CANDIDATES PLEASE.

4. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I haven't said anything about Octophone. I made a general admission that I know can come across as a bit holier than thou from time to time and she chose to take it personally and imply that I don't pull my weight in the mod forum. Sorry, but I'm not having that. I've put my neck on the line multiple times when it would've been much easier to just shut up and go with the majority opinion. That said, I do respect the democratic element of having multiple mods so yes, I probably have said from time to time that i'd respect the majority position. But I never did that dismissively.

5. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I think the current admin team of octy/indie works well.

If Octy decides she's standing down, I'd offer my help as an admin. I know tech stuff, and have chipped in a few times behind the scenes on a few issues, such as the great Chao Ban disaster of 2020.

If not, I'm happy to carry on being a stable and reliable mod, just getting on with it quietly and deffos not slagging you all off in the ultra exclusive VIP mod forums.

Barnacle, Rita and Kate like this.
  6. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

You had the luxury of being "slow to respond because of life" - I had to respond while I was at work, in an office, during peak lockdown. Once it had gone to blazes, you then stepped in.

7. Rita

Rita User

WHAT DID IT SAY??

8. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

You're right, I'll stop.

9. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

Still, not being online for three days doesn’t show good modship.

Rita likes this.
  10. Rita

Rita User

Oh.

11. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

It said YOU'RE ALL SMELLY WRINKLY OLD CUNTS WHO SHOULD BE IN A HOME AND I'M GOING TO DELETE MOOPY

12. Kate

Kate dumps like a truck

Am I helping? :)

(justice for tags)

Ag likes this.
  13. Rita

Rita User

POST A NEW THREAD ON THE TAGS DEBATE. :oi:

14. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'm fast at the point where I never want to hear the word "tag" again.

15. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

In fact, a couple of weeks ago, my nephew wanted to play "tag" and I had a flashback when he said it. "Why did Auntie Octy faint?" was a tricky conversation to have with a 3 year old. :(

Iguana and Soldi like this.
  16. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe SioráfZen

Should have just called her a cunt whilst she was on a trampoline

Alex, Kate, octophone and 3 others like this.
  17. Kalabaliken

Sweetie, if you're going to make jokes referencing stuff that has happened on Moopy at least take them from a time you were here! :D

18. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe SioráfZen

:love:

Iguana likes this.
  19. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

I work at the bank and have just been told Peter Kay is dead. There’s a super injunction out so the media can’t report his death until after the funeral.

straightorbroken, Alex, Kate and 2 others like this.
  20. Kalabaliken

To be fair I can't really say anything about being Moopy knowledgeable before I joined, my first ever post on here was creating a thread called 'Is Lulu a CUNT?'

Diddy, Lucille and Soldi like this.
  21. Rita

Rita User

22. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Let's face it - you read the room with that one. :D

Diddy likes this.
  23. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I don’t know specifics of any octy/VoR beef, but historically I'd have to say I've always been impressed by VoR as a mod, and during my time he was always happy to contribute when others didn't seem to be.

That absolutely isn't a dig at octy - I'm just saying that they both have my vote.

VoR likes this.
  24. lolly

I'd also add that I think the best modding (perhaps less so admin business) is done pretty silently. It shouldn't necessarily feel like it's happening, and personally I don't really WANT mods who make a song and dance about it.

Unlike in real life which I'd very much like to be a series of song and dance numbers.

25. COB

COB Pop it in here thanks

VoR is only standing again so he can use his mod responsibilities as an excuse when the Moopyvision results still haven't happened next Christmas :tongueout:

ZenGiraffe and Iguana like this.
  26. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

Why?

27. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I have absolutely nothing against Octophone, and I would never question her commitment to this place or the hard work she does. I do think it's fair to say we've had some fairly profound disagreements in terms of our approach to tag-gate and possibly a few other things in the mod forum, and I've certainly noticed a degree of low level hostility directed my way in public discussions, but if there's any kind of feud it's entirely one-sided as far as I'm concerned.

28. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

I pledge that I will prevent Rachey from murdering any more fish.

Iguana likes this.
  29. lolly

AND although I agree that you don't necessarily need to be omnipresent to be mod, a big part of the job is responding to requests to split/merge etc (and knowing when to be proactive in doing it yourself), and if you're not online much, you aren't going to have much opportunity to help with that. That's the bread and butter of the job.

The bigger conversations which happen in the mod forum really don't happen very much, unless there has been a significant change in the however many years since I stood down. The mod forum was a pretty dull place.

Tisch and Iguana like this.
  30. lolly

ANNIEWAYS, as long as Indie stays on as admin we'll be fine. Ultimately the rest of you can all get fucked xx

Barnacle, big ron, Soldi and 2 others like this.
  31. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

As an outsider it's hard to know exactly what goes on, but I imagine you can both do things 'behind the scenes' and post. The whole point of Moopy, after all, is to post! It is quite easy to say stuff is happening behind the scenes, but that's not tangible for voters.

I also agree that the modding itself should be done as silently as possible. I'm talking about being a mod AND being a normal posting member of the community.

Tisch, Soldi and ZenGiraffe like this.
  32. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

This is quite literally the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

ButterTart likes this.
  33. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I continue to resent the way I was spoken to during that period. But I have no desire to rake over it.

34. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe SioráfZen

Shall we scrap the elections and just instate @Indie as a benevolent dictator?

35. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

All the usual back-and-forth and general Moopy fuckery aside, I'm really encouraged by seeing this discussion branch out into what you actually WANT from your mod team, what you feel makes for good moderating. Keep that coming - it really gives everyone some guidance and sets some proper expectations.

Soldi and Iguana like this.
  36. lolly

I'd prefer it if we can get a few thousand posts out of it first.

COB and SDF like this.
  37. Soldi

Soldi #VoteSoldi

Yep very much this! I’d like to think whoever wins the election, will be those that DO post often, and are a well known/liked figure in the community. Whether everyone thinks that person is me or not is up to you.

I want the mod/admin team to be those that represent the post-COVID here and now Moopy (and I’m not saying the current team aren’t that).

Iguana and ButterTart like this.
  38. lolly

True, but I think during lockdown with crazy posting numbers in the big topics, some people who are around but just not posting several hundred times a week might appear lost.

Someone posted about VoR hardly ever being around only a day or so ago and that highlighted it to me. It doesn't feel to me that he's been absent, even if he hasn't posted as much as he may have done previously. I'm fairly sure I’ve noticed him online frequently.

I guess there's a difference between not being online and not posting shitloads and I just want to draw attention to it [/VoR fanclub post]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    VoR likes this.
  39. Kalabaliken

I agree I'll admit it's not been easy being a moderator and learning the ropes and part of that is because there's not really any set rules or guidelines about anything, or any expectations set. I'm not saying we need to have a list of rules about what we should and shouldn't be expected to do, but I think this is a good discussion to have.

One thing I HAVE learned is that moderating on Moopy is a completely different kettle of fish to moderating on other forums. I've done that a lot in other places and there it was more about keeping people's behaviour and posts in check, such as inappropriate posts, bullying, gaslighting etc, but Moopy is a different place, it's a place people are free to discuss pretty much anything they wish and behave in most kinds of manners and do things which wouldn't be allowed on other forums. Moderating on Moopy is all about organisational tasks, so more of a secretary than a teacher.

Soldi likes this.
  40. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

I appreciated the way VoR acted during the whole tag incident. I prefer the transparency he brings over the heavy handed modding that Kala does (nothing personal, just talking about the way they moderate).

VoR likes this.