Ag's Top Songs of 2018

Discussion in 'End Of Year Charts' started by Ag, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Ag

Ag User

2018 was a year when, for me, POP MUSIC was back and there was much to enjoy. From living legends through comeback queens to fresh pop starlets and from purveyors of pure dance bangers to drag queens, 2018 was a great year for new pop music for those of us adorned in the glow of Queen Kylie.

The top 30 tracks, will all be released in the last 12 months and only one per artist.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  2. Ag

Ag User

Very quickly those tracks from prior to 2018 I kept playing:

1. ABBA - Dancing Queen
    2. ABBA - Mamma Mia
    3. Cher - Believe
    4. ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!
    5. RuPaul - Sissy That Walk
    6. ABBA - Lay All Your Love on Me
    7. Robin S - Show Me Love
    8. Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
    9. Gala - Freed From Desire
    10. Steps - Scared of the Dark
    11. Alaska Thunderfuck - Your Make Up is Terrible
    12. Alex Party — Don't Give Me Your Life
    13. ABBA - The Winner Takes It All
    14. Dead or Alive — You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)
    15. Robyn - Dancing On Your Own
    16. Adore Delano - I Adore You
    17. Snap! - Rhythm is a Dancer
    18. Britney Spears - Stronger
    19. Lonnie Gordon - If I Have to Stand Alone
    20. ABBA - The Day Before You Came
    21. Ace of Base - The Sign
    22. Adam Rickitt - I Breathe Again
    23. Chaka Khan - I Feel For You
    24. Evelyn Thomas - High Energy
    25. John Grant and Tracey Thorn - Disappointing

3. Ag

Ag User

And those that just missed out...

Ariana Grande - God Is a Woman
    Barba Striesand - Don't Lie to Me
    George Ezra - Shotgun
    Dynoro - In My Mind
    Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus - Nothing Breaks Like a Heart
    Charli XCX - 1999
    Neneh Cherry - Kong

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  4. Ag

Ag User

30. St Lucia - Next To You

To my surprise, this wasn't a single and seemingly nor is it even a fan favourite, so I assume I found this through some kind of Spotify recommendation. It sounds a bit like classic Shins (more of them later) which always catches my interest.

FetchFugly likes this.
  5. Ag

Ag User

29. All Saints - Love Last Forever

Red Flag really was the pop comeback album of the year. Sadly Testament arrived with little fanfare and for me was proof that a decade needs to be left between each All Saints release to give time for Shaznay to come back with fresh ideas. However I did have a couple of takeaways, between this and 'After All'.

Iguana likes this.
  6. Ag

Ag User

28. Janet Jackson - Made For Now

Stop the fucking presses. 2018 marked the year, I let down my defence and surrendered to actually giving Janft a chance. I was pleasantly surprised, especially with her 1980s works and then this came along, which was probably the first time I liked a new Janet Jackson track in over 20 years.

Iguana, SDF and Alla like this.
  7. Ag

Ag User

27. Kendrick Lamar/ SZA - All the Stars

I really have nothing to add about this song.

8. Ag

Ag User

26. Kim Petras - Heart To Break

Now I discovered this absolute QUEEN this year through Charlix XCX and what a revelation. To be honest I could have put at least half a dozen of her tracks on here, but this is the one that just pips the post in terms sheer pop glory. Turn Off the Lights from her Halloween album(!) is fucking glorious. If you haven't yet, give her a go.

9. Ag

Ag User

25. Jonas Blue - Rise

Absolute dance filler, but what Ag countdown is complete with them?

10. Ag

Ag User

24. Jinkx Monsoon - Friends

The first the Drag Race alumni to appear on the list, as well as the first Queen I've seen perform, during the year I first explored their musical output. I adore Jinkx, and this name checking ode to coat tail jumping cheeky cunts is just the tits. I'd also highly recommend 'This Town'.

11. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

What a gorgeous song and voice - going to investigate further!

Ag likes this.
  12. Ag

Ag User

23. Sigrid - Strangers

Now I caught this Scandi-bitch at Latitude last year and was quite impressed. This really helped signal the return to flat out pop fronted by popstars who look like they've been plucked from a 1993 United Colours of Benetton style guide. Astonishingly she hasn't seemed to capitalise on this success - check out Don't Kill My Vibe for more of the same.

13. Ag

Ag User

22. Rita Ora - Let You Love Me

Poor Our Reet. Her legally delayed 2nd album, finally came out this year and flopped disgracefully. For those interested it missed the top 10 EVERYWHERE except Estonia and Taiwan, and they were marginal. To be fair, like Clean Bandit who suffered a similar humiliation, they were just collections of hits from the previous few years, which in the streaming era is fairly unwarranted.

14. Ag

Ag User

21. Netta - Toy

Now don't get me wrong, this isn't a great song. Was it a vintage Eurovision winner? No it was not. But did it deserve to win? Abso-fucking-lutley. In terms of sheer uniqueness, performance value, get under your skin ability, likeability and message, this had it all. Besides I always think there's something delightful about Israel winning. Only one more from Eurovision this year features.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Iguana likes this.
  15. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

That is lovely. Their older stuff was excellent but the initial singles off the new album were not exactly thrilling so I haven't looked into it properly. I'll have to try and give it a go.

16. Ag

Ag User

20. Years & Years - All For You

Now this took me by surprise... while I liked a fair few of their songs, Olly is so damn irritating, so I wasn't expecting to love their album. It really is a great pop album, with this, Sanctify and If You're Over Me being the highlights. The one thing Olly has, is is he's not Sam Smith, so that's something.

SDF likes this.
  17. Ag

Ag User

19. The Shins - Heartworms (Flipped)

Now I can't say I've paid a particular amount of attention to indie pop veterans The Shins for quite a while, but this 'flipped' (read: pop) version of the lead track from the last album really caught my attention.

18. Ag

Ag User

18. Sia, Diplo and Labrinth - Thunderclouds

I assumed this was going to be a huge hit, but I think it kinda skimmed by, probably from overplay in whatever advert it was in.

Iguana likes this.
  19. Ag

Ag User

17 Hatchie - Sugar & Spice

Now this, I really loved. I've seen she's been gaining some traction with some of the music press. Thus far this is the one that I've been playing a lot, reminiscent of breezy 1980s summery pop in the vein of The Sundays or Voice Behind the Beehive.

20. Ag

Ag User

16 Clean Bandit & Marina - Baby

What happens when you mix chart gold with chart poison. Sadly the poison overpowers the gold and Clean Bandit get an uncharacteristic flop. Which is a huge shame, as this is my favourite effort from them since Rockabye and Marina plays the pop star we all deserve.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  21. Ag

Ag User

15 Blair St Clair - Now Or Never

The highest placed entrant with a DUI conviction (maybe). Blair who didn't especially stand out to me on the most recent series of Drag Race, despite the forced rape storyline. This however is a pleasing little pop gem.

22. Ag

Ag User

14 The Fizz - Amen

2018 didn't stop surprising me musically. I did not anticipate that I'd have a track from Bucks Fizz on this list. So this, and the whole album was pop trash by numbers, but damn is was cohesive and catchy. It was of course the 7th Heaven mix that got repeated spins from me.

23. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Great choice, but Amen was released in 2017, If you want to stick fast to that rule.

24. Ag

Ag User

13 DJ Koze - Pick Up

From the ridiculous to the sublime. Like a filtered version of Stardust made for 2018, with a Gladys Knight sample. This was glorious and made me want to drop a couple of 1999 pills and watch the sun rise. Also worth checking out is XTC from Herr Koze.

25. Ag

Ag User

Not especially.

26. Ag

Ag User

12 Gabrielle - Shine

Bucks Fizz, Years & Years, Janet Jackson and GABRIELLE? This really was the year I let down my defences and just indulged without prejudice. I'd actually re-assessed the Gabrielle back catalogue (with mixed results) and then she dropped new material. This was Gabrielle in 2018 and was just really good. Young and Crazy was the other new Gabs effort from the album, that I loved.

@cwej

Iguana likes this.
  27. Ag

Ag User

11 Ava Max - Sweet but Psycho

Just missing the top 10 is the UK's current number 1. If ever a single song existed to cement my faith that pop music was back within popular taste it was this. Unashamed pop, lyrically slightly edgy (but don't we all know that bitch), with a fun little video, clearly filmed on a minimum budget, this is fucking brilliant. I don't really care if she's a one hit wonder or goes on to have a long career, but we'll always have this.

28. Ag

Ag User

10 Troye Sivan - The Good Side

My sad song of the year, in what was a pretty solid year for me. It addresses that rarely discussed emotional journey of coming out of a situation better than the other person and then feeling sad about it. I'm sure the Germans have a word for it. I can't say I'm especially fond of much else (although I enjoyed his feature on 1999) he's done, but this is lovely and I'll keep an open mind.

29. Ag

Ag User

9 Robyn - Honey

Ah the big pop comeback... or was it? Lauded by the music press, as some sort of originator of melancholy electro pop. The album for me, wasn't an instant take away, but bitch is clever and so many tracks are still revealing themselves. This was THE highlight for me, but Never Again and Missing U are both absolute standouts.

30. Ag

Ag User

8 Kim Wilde - Pop Don’t Stop

So Kim was visited by aliens and wrote an album about it. For that I am extremely grateful and wish aliens would visit a few other vintage stars. It was actually wall to wall vintage pop and I couldn't get enough, with this and Kandy Krush dominating my listening this year.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  31. Ag

Ag User

7 CHVCHES - Get Out

CHVCHES do not stop giving. For me Love is Dead is as good an album as anything they've done so far. Sheer electro pop in a Robyn vein. Mircale, Never Say Die and My Enemy are all up there with their best.

32. Ag

Ag User

6 Saara Aalto - Monsters

Well this bitch, will never be, but fuck me she makes music for homosexuals. Ok so the Eurovision performance was an over worked mess, but after seeing her support Steps and playing her album to death, this along with Dance Like Nobody's Watching, Domino, My Touch and Wild Wild Wonderland are all bonafide solid pop brilliance. We deserve Saara more than air.

SDF and Iguana like this.
  33. Iguana

Iguana One two CHA CHA CHA

The album is surprisingly good. It feels a bit nostalgic but also quite fresh. Agreed that Shine is the best.

34. Ag

Ag User

5. Carly Rae Jepsen - Party For One

Carly RJ is the gift that KEEPS ON GIVING. Too good for the charts, despite offering some of the most finely crafted chunks of pop this side of Sweden. That she's an intergay favourite, with one hit wonder status across the rest of society, makes being a fan of her work all the more delicious. I am primed and ready for a full LP next year.

35. Alla

Alla ®

I was hoping for Hot Boy to appear, but I don't know if you consider it Top 5 material (it would make my top 3 of the year).

36. Ag

Ag User

4. Tracey Thorn - Dancefloor

I'd always been fascinated by OUR TRACE, but hadn't really explored much beyond EBTG. The stars aligned and for whatever reason I ended up sampling her new album, which I did not only love, but found one of the definite best dance pop tracks of the year. Dancefloor, a classic ode to being so drunk at 4am in a nightclub, isn't lyrically fresh. Yet somewhere it conjures up the glorious image of Trace off her tits, wailing to whatever banger was on the speakers and then she suddenly realises it's her. I have popped the Ewan Pearson 12" mix above, as my favourite from the remix EP. Also see Queen.

BoysForSeles likes this.
  37. Ag

Ag User

3 Samantha Fox - Hot Boy

I am basically old. In gay terms, if I was single, I'd be on the shelf, desperately searching for twinks with Daddy issues on Grindr. And that here is another STARLET of yesteryear is testament to that. There's no doubt this is a conscious throwback to her PWL/ Italo disco heritage. This is happily unashamed in revelling it's throwaway 80s glory and is all the better for it. See also... oh who cares, just enjoy! (Seriously the Johan Agebjorn 12" mix is poppers o clock).

BoysForSeles and Alla like this.
  38. Ag

Ag User

You KNOW I was here for it.

Alla likes this.
  39. Ag

Ag User

2. Cher - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

SERIOUSLY? As you may or may not have guessed, I had based this list on play counts. If I was being a bit more objective, it would probably occupy a lower position or I'd have put her excellent version of One of Us up high or even her appearance on Super Trouper. However, it's a testament to the sheer GAY POWER of Cher and Abba combined. In an era where TREAT FOR GAYS are in abundance, you do wonder, what could actually happen next to exceed this in terms of chasing the gay dollar? Despite it sounding like a karaoke version, with a tinny backing, this IS a definitive part of our heritage.

40. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Tracey Thorn’s track was fab. I was totally here to see where Sam appeared on the list (or if). Deserves to be that high.

Ag and Alla like this.