Alien: Covenant

Discussion in 'Moopy Odeon' started by jivafox, Mar 1, 2017.

?

Paradise?

1. 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 9

7.1%
  3. 8

21.4%
  4. 7

21.4%
  5. 6

28.6%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

7.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

7.1%
  11. 0

7.1%
  1. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

CGI Xenomorphs ahoy.

2. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

That alien at the end looks a bit crap, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this! I hope it links to Prometheus in a significant way, as so far it does look a bit like they've abandoned the weirder ideas from that in favour of a more straightforward Alien film.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Fool me once etc....

4. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

I'm absolutely dripping for this. The 10 minute preview shown at cinemas on alien day is intense.

5. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I am SALIVATING.

6. Jark

Jark User

Can't think of a single upcoming movie I'm more wet for.

TEN DAYS!

7. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

There have been a few little prologue videos released lately - this one appears to be quite important in terms of setting things up (I assume at least some of this footage will be in the film too):

8. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Release the damn movie. This thread is flooding.

9. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

LOVED it. I thought the ending was wonderful.
    The only disappointment was the creature effects.

10. OutSynk

OutSynk User

How disgusting is it?

I've become more squeamish these days so I need to be prepared.

11. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

The births are pretty disgusting. There's a TON of blood. But they're over pretty quick compared to Kane.
    I'm not squeamish at all though.

12. jivafox

Walked out about halfway through. This was Prometheus plus shite. Nah.

13. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

It got a lot better, but there was about 20-30 minutes of existential crap that I didn't care about.

14. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

I can't wait, the existential crap was probably my favourite part of Prometheus :basil:

15. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I went into this having not seen prometheus, but my friend kept leaning over to fill in the blanks.

Basically it's all about Michael Fassbender, who clearly knew exactly what movie he was in and hammed it up accordingly. Other than him it was disappointingly run of the mill and felt weirdly lacking in tension. I just wasn't interested in any of the other characters. There were no particularly unexpected deaths or scares, and bland bland Katherine Waterson is no Sigourney Weaver.

Servicable, but not much more.

6/10

16. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The visuals were stunning as expected, but the screenplay was quite dreadful, despite the injection of two GAY INTEREST storylines from the otherwise dependable John Logan.

There were more questions than answers by the end, but more to do with the production (WTF did James Franco sign up for?) and the fuckwittery of the crew.

Following on from Prometheus, at least Guy Pearce's Lucky Bitches inspired ageing make up made some sense.

17. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

I saw this the other night and thought it was awful.

The script was laughable and some of the CGI was embarrassing.

Abd what's the point of putting Michael Fassbender in a skin tight body suit if it's not going to show off his massive cock?

18. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Yeah, it wasn't great was it? At least Prometheus looked gorgeous and had some new creatures, this one actually felt hampered by having to use the traditional aliens - I'd have preferred to have those other white ones be the main threat. It felt like a bit like the studio wanted a standard Alien film, but Ridley Scott still wanted to do a Prometheus sequel and what we got wasn't satisfying as either. Everything ground to a halt once they met David, and even then we didn't actually get any answers posed by the previous film's ending (and the way they wasted the Shaw character is down there with Hicks and Newt's fate in Alien 3, as far as I'm concerned) :evil:

19. Jark

Jark User

I fucking LOVED this! GORGEOUS film to look at, RELENTLESSLY brutal for a solid hour, Fassbender teaching Fassbender sexy flute... it was ridiculous, it was non-stop, it was a riot. I don't really know what people actually want from an Alien movie these days but this hit EVERY spot for me.

20. jivafox

Have you seen the first two?

21. David_5000

David_5000 I'll dance alone

Do I need to have seen Prometheus?

22. jivafox

There's no consistency over both films, so not really.

23. Jark

Jark User

Of course I have. I adore Alien. Aliens I can take or leave.

24. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I enjoyed this! I had the benefit of going in in the aftermath of some a bit of a critical drubbing, but overall, I thought it was lots of fun and a great addition to the Alien mythos. I do agree with @Jark that it's hard to know what people want from an Alien film these days.

Yes, the cast do stupid things, some of the early CGI was crap (white Alien - you're fired) and the cast forgettable. I hope they turn off Katherine Waterston's ("WHO IS SHE?" /Niki_Graham) life support bed before they arrive on the new planet. She was a prime irritant and no Sigourney.

By the time it got past Fassbender v Fassbender on the flute and into the rollicking final hour, I was hooked. The sequence on top of the ship (though clearly physically ridiculously impossible) was fun and I didn't even mind the ending of Aliens being knocked off in the final attempt to kill the beastie.

Lovely twist right at the end too. Ridley is already mid-flow on the sequel which apparently will take us right up to the Nostromo and the beginning of the original Alien.

25. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

And the score was SUBLIME.

Jark likes this.
  26. VoR

Did anyone REALLY not see the "twist" coming a mile off? Even adopting standard movie logic, I was so confused that nobody remotely questioned it until the final scene...

Ellie and JillTyrell like this.
  27. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

It was like an anti-twist for me, with the alternate outcome being the surprising one.

28. VoR

Yeah they made it so obvious in the way they edited a previous scene, that I almost expected a double-bluff. It's ridiculous to me that Katherine Waterson's character would put herself in such a vulnerable position without once thinking to check in some way what was going on. I hate it when movie characters are actively stupid in that way.

29. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Well Walter being David was always going to be an option and it was signposted well enough ("SCENE: David/Walter looks evilly at the monitor at the alien"). The fun bit was telling her after her hypersleep bed was closed - SWEET DREAMS :D

30. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

VoR outed as CINEMA CHATTER :evil:

dUb likes this.
  31. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

Very average, I preferred Life if we're talking about slithering creatures bursting out of chests. I couldn't give a flying fuck about those giant bald men.

Also why does every female protagonist have to be styled like Ripley?

I enjoyed looking at Michael Fassbender's ass.

32. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Not focusing on the "giant bald men" was a bit of a shame really - I think there's an interesting backstory to tell there if they'd gone down the "Navigator/Engineer" route. Maybe they'll be back in the next round.

33. Krust

Krust User

Without wanting to spoil, I think what happened between Shaw, David and the engineers in the flashbacks would have made the better sequel - maybe even on a Mad Max -Fury Road level of franchise re-inventing. From a commercial viewpoint it is of course understandable why they forced a new set of characters into the mythology.

34. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I just don't get why they think people care about where the aliens come from. The original movies are good monster movies, the prequels feel like they are trying to tell a story no one asked for (beyond due hard fans).

Ellie likes this.
  35. Krust

Krust User

But that is the selling point of these new movies for me -if you just want the monsters you can head right to AvP.

36. jivafox

I think the story of how the alien spaceship got to the original planet in Alien would have been interesting if they HAD to do something, but the whole thing has been one big misfire.

37. Krust

Krust User

However I don't think it warrants a 0

38. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

Apparently they're still leading up to that! But I think they might have fucked things up in terms of when events are supposed to have happened...
    the Engineer spaceship in Alien had been there so long the pilot had become petrified, so hundreds/thousands of years? But this film seems to imply David actually created the alien in the form we know it, less than a century before the original film's timeframe :confused:

39. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

i found this absolutely infuriating with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. it's existence is utterly redundant.

40. ameraal

ameraal is this too much?

this is what bugged me the most. you'd assume that these people are highly trained and at least a smidge above the median intellect yet they can not shoot, take rational decisions or communicate essential information. it was just too much. the fassbender storyline was the only thing of any remote interest to me but even that was so painfully predictable.

god, i'm so mad i wasted two hours of my life.