'Alien' is brilliant

Discussion in 'Britney Spears' started by VoR, May 19, 2014.

?

How do you rate this song?

1. 10

14.3%
  2. 09

28.6%
  3. 08

35.7%
  4. 07

7.1%
  5. 06

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 05

14.3%
  7. 04

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 03

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 02

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I've completely disregarded the rest of the diabolical 'Britney Jean' album, but I really can't get enough of the utterly out of place and misleading opening song.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YTITmXu3yMs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really wish she'd been brave enough to release it as the lead single. I mean it's no Frozen or anything but it would have been something a bit different and interesting. (Though the disappointment if you bought the album on the basis of it would have been outrageous :D )

Is it just me? (And, inevitably, J-Snow)

2. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

:D

I've come to terms with how meh the album is, but Alien is really special. It's her best song since Work Bitch, which was her best song since Criminal, which was her best song since Everytime. And you're RIGHT ON THE MONEY with the notion that it should have been the lead single. I'm impatiently waiting for them to announce it as the 3rd single AT LEAST, but looking at how Perfume did, they're probably going to do It Should Be Easy or nothing. :(

3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It's good in an 8/10 way and yes, it's the only thing really worth keeping from that SHOWER OF SHIT. Oh, except the will.i.am song as well, which I actually quite like...

4. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

Well she is barely brave enough to walk in a straight line, but the label should have chosen it either backed with or before Perfume. Skooshing Perfume out as emergency single number 2 was never going to take off (no matter what they say). They could have made a nice, different and unusual video for this. I can't remember how any of the other songs go on the album, but it plodded along adequately enough.

5. Pipo

Pipo extra large & extra hard

as if they will wheel out a third single by this time, this album is dead and buried! Same goes for the Miley album.

6. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

What *did* happen with Miley's album? It really died a death after Wrecking Ball. Did Adore You even chart?

7. Euphoria

Euphoria User

It peaked at #27.

8. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

This is the first time I've heard it, and if THAT is the best song on the album, it's a very sorry state of affairs. It's rubbish.

9. Devil

Devil I Need A House

7/10.

I like it, but much prefer 'Passenger' (though it's as bit more 'gritty' rather than 'dreamy' like this).

I still think the album is ok. Painfully average/bad by her standards, but there's a solid 6-7 tracks on it.

10. Voxtrot

Voxtrot Somewhere in the crowd

5/10. I'm not a fan of Britney Jean but I love Work Bitch, Til It's Gone, and It Should Be Easy.

11. Pipo

William Orbit posted this today apparently, is it official (JSnow?)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zBLPFyw9Hcg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sounds like he remembers Beautiful Stranger fondly

12. J-Snow

omg no and thank God

This is official though, it's Passenger featuring Sia on the chorus and bridge

[video=youtube;Pob4p9wmAT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pob4p9wmAT0[/video]

13. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Fucking hell, the rest of the album must be unspeakably shit if this is good by comparison.

14. Pipo

:D Is that actually Britney??

According to my SOURCES that's MYah Marie (aka the girl who recorded Femme Fatale and Britney Jean)

and this is GREAT

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2W1hko2V_hI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.hollyscoop.com/britney-spears/meet-woman-who-supposedly-recorded-whole-britney-spears-album.html

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  15. Pipo

shocking

[​IMG]

16. J-Snow

Myah has been doing background vocals for Britney since Circus, because she sounds like her, her voice complements hers well in the background

BYE at your "Hollywood Scoop SOURCES"

DO BETTER PIPO

17. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Oh this is quite jarring. He did basically just put the vox of "Alien" over the "Beautiful Stranger" instrumental and it doesn't really gel does it.

I love "Alien" as is- but like VoR said, as the introduction to Britney Jean it is possibly one of the most misleading album openers of all time.

18. J-Snow

Acoustic version is here

And it's fantastic :disco:

19. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Orbit on Facebook:

20. Commotion

Commotion User

Oh.
    I thought this was the rate for the film Alien so I gave it a 10.
    Never heard the Britney song.

21. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

This is the version to which William Orbit is referring:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jhrS82KEBcw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vocal warm-up it may be, but seriously, I didn't realise "having a cup of herb tea" made people forget how to sing in tune...

(And yes of course it may be fake, but if it were surely that would be all William would need to say)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  22. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think the fact that he acknowledged it means it almost certainly isn't fake. :D

And God, my ears!

23. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Britney Spears is a very average singer, to say the least. I really don't get why more than a decade down the line that is still a topic of conversation and surprise. It's like people are finding it out for the fist time, over and over again.

24. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

She did have something of a voice to begin with. Not a powerhouse, but she could hold a tune. That demo vocal isn't average by any stretch of the imagination. It's completely incompetent.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  25. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

I guess it's because we don't get to hear her much. I mean, we all know Katy Perry is utterly abysmal because she puts in on display every time she performs live.

26. Pipo

THAT ALIEN DEMO IS AMAZING

YASSSSSSSs

I can imagine millions of fans defending her and trashing Mariah and Madonna at the same time

27. J-Snow

+1

28. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

I don't see how "Alien" demo is really THAT dreadful :D

Call me blind to my loondom or just tone deaf but it's alright as far as I can tell for a rough studio cut

Orbit, despite bringing more attention to the ripped apart demo, seems to be very loyal (almost excessively so) to Britney so whatever I guess.

Do we think she'll record another album? I just wish the producers were given the reigns (kind of like Danja had with Blackout) to collaborate/work for Britney instead of her managers/team who aren't necessarily musically inclined or creatively driven people basically having full control over her recent albums.It worked with Circus at least because they seemed to know what the fans and public wanted from a Britney record but lately it's just been so out of touch and stale.

29. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Orbit posted another "Alien" remix:

"Alien (Crossing the Universe Mix)"

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/orbitstreamcast/crossing-the-universe[/SOUNDCLOUD]

30. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

I also don't get the fuss about that demo. I expected MUCH worse after reading a few comments. But I'll admit that I turned it off after the first verse and chorus so maybe the "best" was still to come.

31. Lee

Lee Ne me quitte pas

Isn't she just singing it in a different key to the final version, in which case it would sound odd.

32. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

Only in some places, unintentionally.

33. Penelope

Penelope Look right for CALMING INFLUENCE

It's not great but it's not the disaster I expected from the write-ups. It does sound more like just a shit warm-up for someone who was never sold on the basis of outstanding vocal talent.

34. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

If ever there was proof that some people on here are TONE DEAF! :D It's not alright, by any stretch of the imagination.

But it's also not a surprise... It's exactly how I imagined she would sound really.

35. J-Snow

The disaster here is the people who were expecting the raw studio vocals to be great :D It's 2014 and people STILL think Britney Spears is a great singer..... QUEEN! :disco:

36. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

I just don't understand the whole "her voice has disintegrated to THIS? *shock*" reactions from some. This is how she has sounded live for most of her career! "Alien" is a little more monotone, vocally, so hearing it off key is a bit more jarring I guess but this would pass as a relatively average Britney live performance had it been from the tour or something.

It is rather interesting how this story has blown up so much (it was "trending" on Facebook homepage this morning) considering no one has really paid her much attention in the mainstream news media these past few years and it's such a non-news story for someone of her stature.

NEXT: J-LO's top hits were recorded by mostly session singers SHOCK

37. J-Snow

Were more people talking about it than J.Lo's Booty?

38. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

Well all of THIS really!

It's not a surprise to most, no, but most Britney fans seem to cling onto the idea that she's at least COMPETENT.

Also I don't buy the whole vocal warm-up excuse. Maybe someone like RB can clarify this for me, but from my (very limited) experience of being in recording studios, I was under the impression that warm-ups for getting the levels right or whatever weren't usually committed to tape.

39. J-Snow

It turns out POP! was right, Alien drew in a little more controversy than Booty

USA:
    721. Work Bitch (+97)
    1083. Alien (NEW)
    1244. Toxic

UK:
    974. Work Bitch (+280)
    1142. Alien (NEW)

GET THOSE 73 SALES, BITCH!!

40. jivafox

jivafox chalamet & chill

And let's be honest, her voice hasn't "disintegrated", she's never used it; after years in the business this is probably the BEST it will EVER BE.