An ASSORTED DISCO REISSUE thread

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by FetchFugly, Apr 8, 2012.

1. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Thanks for this TIP. Just LOVELY.

2. loomer

loomer User

I had to pay a bloody fortune for that. I meant to get it right away when I spotted it on amazon 2 years ago. But by god what a classic! :disco: :disco: :disco:

I will surely bankrupt myself getting everything in this thread, but by god it's worth it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

There's a Cerrone compilation out next week which looks rather extensive, though I've seen some criticism of it being made up entirely of edited versions. As much as I like to have the full thing when I'm in a certain mood I can find a tidy little edit quite enough. The artwork is suitably thought provoking too:

[​IMG]

There's also a Beth Ditto cover of Supernature to tie in with this. It isn't on the tracklisting Amazon have but I assume that is their mistake:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DuHubvMUTlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Isn't it a shame the Bananarama cover never saw the light of day... :D

4. FetchFugly

Thelma Houston's Any Way You Like It is getting the reissue with bonus tracks treatment next month too, on Soulmusic:

[​IMG]

1. Any Way You Like It
    2. Don't Leave This Way
    3. Don't Know Why I Love You
    4. Come To Me
    5. Don't Make Me Pay (For Another Girl's Mistake)
    6. Sharing Something Perfect Between Ourselves
    7. If It's The Last Thing I Do
    8. Differently
    9. Do You Know Where You're Going To (Previously Only Issued In New Zealand)
    10. Together (Previously Only Issued In New Zealand)
    11. Today Will Soon Be Yesterday (Us 'B' Side Only)
    12. You've Been Doing Wrong For So Long (Us Non Album Single)
    13. One Out Of Every Six (Censored Version)(Us Non album Single)
    14. Don't Leave Me This Way (Us Single Edit)

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Other than the definitive version of the obvious one, I'm not sure I know ANY other Thelma Houston tracks. Should I?

6. Shirley

Not-Don't-Leave-Me-This-Way Thelma TOP THREE

1. I'm Here Again

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Oa7YJ714OP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Love Masterpiece

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_o87kApKB0w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Saturday Night, Sunday Morning

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/IbEsQ2RlARE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  7. FetchFugly

Yes, I ENTIRELY AGREE with that top three, with an honourable mention for Love Is Comin On.

Outside of disco there is You Used To Hold Me So Tight (not featuring Javine Hylton) of course, and I also recommend Crazy Mixed Up Girl, from her late sixties Jimmy Webb album and later covered by Dusty:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xwwXI6tiLd0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I have "Any Way You Like It" on vinyl and it's VERY VERY GOOD INDEED :disco:

9. FetchFugly

Have we seen there are finally more Disco Discharge compilations in the works, as they say? Certainly long overdue.

The proper DD man is back on board too, after those not so hot Ian Levine comps with shoddy sound and later 'disco' covers.

10. Shirley

THAT'S THE BEST NEWS I'VE HAD IN YEARS

Well I'm quite pleased at least

11. FetchFugly

I believe this is the first time I have stumbled across THIS:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5OX6yiWx1N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That film looks quite horrific.

12. FetchFugly

Unfortunately Thelma's orginal, mental institution authentic version of Do You Know Where You're Going To? is in not so hot quality on the reissue. Never mind.

13. Sheena

There's a seller on Amazon, Yellow & Black Records, that seem to have quite a few bits at £2.99 + P&P at the moment, from the BBR range and the suchlike. I've just managed to grab reissues of "Cerrone IV", "Hold On Tight" by First Choice, "Groove Me" by Fern Kinney and "I Keep Coming Back For More" by Brenda & The Tabulations, which I fucking LOVE but didn't even realise was on cd...

14. FetchFugly

Ta for that. I have picked up Brenda & The Tabulations, Foxy and Scarlet Fantastic.

Not sure if you are already aware but Demon's Myplay sale page has added more bundles including four Candi Staton and five Patrice Rushen albums for a fiver each and a whole heap of Randy Crawford and Dionne Warwick at £15. I've got the Candi albums from previous reissues but I'm tempted to take a punt on Patrice.

15. Shirley

I'm not sure I need TEN RANDY CRAWFORD ALBUMS but I'm still TEMPTED

16. Shirley

Patrice is definitely VALUE at FIVE for a FIVER

17. lolly

I noticed that yesterday (and FINALLY ordered the Nanas bundle) and was sorely tempted by Dionne. But I think the sheer amount of it (most of which I'd imagine to be very MOR) almost put me off.

18. FetchFugly

I think a good compilation covers Dionne for me. I would have thought there would be lots of not particularly inspiring cover versions on her sixties albums.

19. Sheena

I got all of those a couple of weeks back- Dionne, Patrice, Candi and Randy.

Dionne is a bit MOR overall for me, but quite nice in a Sunday afternoon way. Love the Candi stuff I've heard and only just scratched the surface with Randy so far. Patrice I haven't even got the cellophane off...

20. Julie Andrews

Julie Andrews THE HILLS ARE ALIVE

The Candi album with YOUNG HEARTS on is a BLINDER

21. Julie Andrews

DESTINY
    Oh DESTINY

22. Sheena

I only bought the one with "Victim" on it a couple of weeks back for a fiver in Fopp and it's CORKING so grabbed this lot with open arms. Yes, they're all really really good...

23. Julie Andrews

I KNOW
    You're gonna WANT ME
    But when you WANT ME
    It might be a DIFFERENT STORY

24. Julie Andrews

OH! I didn't realise those Candi albums are DOUBLE-DISC REISSUES with bonus tracks on! I thought they were same as the TWO-ON-ONEs from a few years ago *BUYS*

25. Sheena

Indeed, it's QUITE the STEAL for a bit of DISCO CANDI :disco:

I must stop buying CDs. It's getting a bit RIDICULOUS. I've just thrown FOXY in the basket...

26. Julie Andrews

I've bought PATRICE, CANDI and RANDY :(

I am resisting the NANAS as I really REALLY don't need SIX BANANARAMA DVDS

27. Sheena

OH YES YOU DO!

28. FetchFugly

Patrice is now SOLD OUT. That is what a dithering will get you. I was going to get Randy as well, but I'll leave it and see if they turn up a few more for the Patrice bundle.

Regarding Candi I wonder why Demon didn't reissue her last two Warner Bros albums as well. The last one is pretty hit free but the fifth has When You Wake Up Tomorrow on it.

29. Shirley

So is CANDI - I must have PICKED MY MOMENT PERFECTLY

I've never heard the self-titled Candi Staton album from 1980 - even in the heyday of freeloading it was almost impossible to come by

30. Shirley

I've found it at last. Candi's 'Hunter Gets Captured By The Game' is a little LIGHT on the DRAMATICS when you're used to GRACE JONES's take

31. FetchFugly

Yes, as you might expect. It lacks the glorious purr of the Marvelettes' original too.

I believe I actually paid to download Looking For Love because I couldn't turn up the album on one of those nice blogs.

32. Shirley

Oh gosh it was worth going all the way to the grotty Post Office depot yesterday to pick up the GROOVE CONSIGNMENT

A sunny Saturday morning and 'Now We May Begin' is simply too much

33. Sheena

I'm THOROUGHLY enjoying a bit of FERN KINNEY the last couple of days. The album is a REVELATION well beyond the luscious joy that is "Groove Me" and the obvious camp classic-ery of "Together We Are Beautiful".

34. ameraal

ameraal trash

fern is lovely. i'm ready for your love and love me tonite are my favourites that aren't on the debut.

35. Sheena

I shall have to investigate more- I only knew the "big" two before this, but she's FABULOUS

36. FetchFugly

I am very much currently regretting my uncharacteristic restraint.

Oh and yes, bless the DULCET TONES of the LOVELY FERN. I have a no frills but I believe quite exhaustive two CD compilation and agree Love Me Tonight is definitely one of her best.

37. Shirley

I never knew RANDY had a BASH at 'I've Never Been To Me' on her first album

No wonder it didn't SELL

38. FetchFugly

They saw fit to put that on the best of that I have, presumably the idea was to be padding out the hits with some other familiar numbers.

39. lolly

That was always fairly popular back in the day, wasn't it? I remember as a fledgeling homo having my vinyl copy of Brotherhood Of Man's Greatest Hits, and my mother recoiling in horror at their stabs at Together We Are Beautiful and Bright Eyes.

40. Sheena

I've been hammering Brenda & The Tabulations since I got it on CD. It really is a TRIUMPH, though I'd long forgotten it hidden in my iPod.

In other news, I picked up a vinyl copy of Amii Stewart's "Knock On Wood" at the weekend, which is a lost disco JOY, I've discovered as well! Also found the Kelly Marie album with "Feels Like I'm In Love" on it, but yet to give that a WHIRL...