An ASSORTED DISCO REISSUE thread

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by FetchFugly, Apr 8, 2012.

1. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I have an Amii best of CD on the ropey old Hot Productions label with their usual HQ printing job and CDR disc. A lot of the other CDs available seem to be nasty re-recordings.

The tunes are mainly marvellous though. I know there is the cover of Get Your Love Back on there but You Really Touched My Heart is very Three Degrees too.

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

I've got KNOCK ON WOOD the album from years back - well it's hard to resist that HEADGEAR

But I don't remember the rest of the album as these days if I put the long version of Knock On Wood on then I have to LIE DOWN when it's over :(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

It's all about the disco wigout "Light My Fire" for me...

4. Shirley

I've been doing some research and I have come to the conclusion that 'I'm Every Woman' JUST PIPS 'Knock On Wood' as the MOST RUMPSHAKING DISCO MOMENT OF ALL TIME

It's a wonder the recording studio didn't EXPLODE. Dear old AUNTY CHAKA.

I'd say that the full-length version of 'Light My Fire' is SIMPLY JUST TOO MUCH, but then what would the 1985 REMIXES BE? *adds a completely unnecessary extra 25 rhythm tracks*

5. Sheena

What an important update from the MINISTRY OF DISCO STUDIES

6. Shirley

CANDI, RANDY and PATRICE are BACK IN STOCK if anyone's still looking for a DISCO BARGAIN

7. FetchFugly

I got as far as checking out with Patrice and Randy but the £7.82 postage gave me pause for thought and I decided the compilations I already have would suffice after all. Some very uncommon restraint prevailing for once.

8. FetchFugly

Tantalizingly Hot by Stephanie Mills is due out next week, and is six pounds on Amazon. It was her last album largely produced by Mtume and Lucas and features You Can't Run From My Love, an exceedingly funky number covered by Peaches not so long ago.

Also, I just noticed that Alma Faye's album got a Japanese reissue last year. At the current price I'll pass but a BBR release with bonus tracks would be very pleasing.

9. Sheena

Well FERN is proving to be an absolute REVELATION in recent weeks, loving every minute of it, especially the country flecked disco ballad "Angel On The Ground" and PARTICULARLY this little nugget which I'd had no idea of until picking this up, but which is absolutely going to become a staple of my UNDERWHELMING DJ CAREER

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JtvPrSoQRII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Shirley

It's ALL CHANGE on the DEMON website. It's OUT with CANDI, RANDY and the NANAS (at last! no more temptation) and IN with the complete STUDIO ALBUMS of BELINDA CARLISLE, LEO SAYER (!), THE FARM (!!) and CHAS AND DAVE (:D)

11. loomer

loomer User

I do need a bit of FERN. Groove Me is fabulous. And as for AMII, I don't know about the :disco: stuff but I particularly love her venture into yacht rock with the Christopher Cross-esque Friends, it's so lovely and R2 often play it.

12. Shirley

I love that one too Looms

Come on MY FRIEND and leave your CUSHION to the wind :D

13. FetchFugly

This album is the worst remaster job I have ever had the misfortune of hearing. I am not the most particular in sound quality but on the first side of the original album (excluding Keep Away Girls for some reason) it is fucking hideous.

14. FetchFugly

Well this never seemed to come to anything, and the Harmless Records imprint is now shutting up shop so I guess that is that for THE DISCHARGE. :evil:

15. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

16. Shirley

It's SO WORTH IT

I gave it to EVERYONE I KNOW as a CHRISTMAS PRESENT

You just GOTTA EDUCATE YOSELVES

17. Shirley

I must have mentioned that somewhere at the time BUT SEEMINGLY NOT HERE :daf:

18. loomer

loomer User

I so would with that Philly boxset :disco:

I downloaded a few Reggie/Mtume tracks I didn't know and wasn't that impressed. RANDY's My Desire is quite fabulous but I wasn't bowled over as expected by the Lou Rawls and Phyllis Hyman stuff.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  19. FetchFugly

THIS Chic inspired collection looks interesting, as long as it isn't (horror of all horrors) mixed.

20. Shirley

I recently discovered HEARTACHE NO. 9 by Delegation as featured on that collection

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/h8LheYkA59A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lovely

21. loomer

loomer User

I'm guessing if it's Joey NEGRO it is.

I really want to get that Philly boxset but it's confusing as there's also this 20 disc collection boxset, the Tom Moulton mixes boxset and the re-edits

I also don't know which albums mentioned in this thread to buy. :( :grr:

I see that Disco Delivery is back in another form and I finally bought that Billboard Hot Dance/Disco 1974-2003 charts book and intend (i.e. probably won't) to start a blog reviewing the #1 hits. The RITCHIE Family sure were popular. It will be lucky if it lasts for 1 week, but it would be good if it lasted as long as The Groove Guru.

22. FetchFugly

I know some of his stuff is mixed but I have his old Disco Spectrum comps (one of them has Heartache No 9 on actually) and they are unmixed. The track lengths make me think it might be unmixed too.

As far as the Philly stuff goes, of those you've mentioned I only have the 40th set which I cannot recommend highly enough, especially if it is still going for £20. I'm one for the original versions rather than the latter day remixes and re-edits. I'd say it would work better as an overview of the label than the albums box too.

23. Shirley

You mean ABOUT THREE DAYS? :D

24. loomer

loomer User

I thought the last post was in 2013.

25. Shirley

It was a very BRIEF revival!

26. FetchFugly

I was familiar with Love Rush but this is a rather more slinky effort from ANN MARGRET on the Joey Negro Chic collection:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4HayOedy0DA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

27. FetchFugly

Speaking of Love Rush this is quite an enjoyable performance:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/s7dYl8uP_Pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It is a wonder she didn't give herself whiplash.

28. FetchFugly

Did we see that BBR are doing an expanded version of Sister Sledge's first album? I could be persuaded to upgrade by non-album tracks and a Tom Moulton mix.

SHOO BE DOO BUM BUM :disco:

29. Sheena

Oooh ME TOO! I have the last reissue but this looks RIGHT GOOD

30. FetchFugly

Currently enjoying the Tasha Thomas reissue from last year.

READY, AIM, FIRE
    My name is DESIRE :disco:

31. FetchFugly

Unfortunately I can confirm that most of the bonus tracks on the Sister Sledge reissue aren't terribly exciting. There is one horror of a JESUS IS MY FRIEND number and Kathy may be a star but on Neither One of Us she is NO GLADYS. I had forgotten how UNSUITABLY DOWDY some of the material was on the album proper too.

32. Sheena

Oh PANTS. I've got the last reissue so I don't think I'll BOTHER then :(

33. FetchFugly

Did we see BBR are doing a two disc DIVINE ANTHOLOGY? I'll probably stick with what I have but they are also releasing a rather excellent looking double CD on The Emotions covering some of their Stax material as well as the later stuff. Seems to cover all their disco singles rather nicely though not including this slinky little Stax number is a bit of an oversight in my book:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pR7M2zl6C5Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

34. FetchFugly

This probably isn't an exact fit for this thread but after two albums (the first much the better) of blue eyed soulful sunshine pop that is sometimes sort of danceable, Too Slow To Disco are doing a Ladies edition. Tracklisting:

EVIE SANDS You can do it
    RICKIE LEE JONES Chuck E’s in love
    LAURA ALLAN Opening up to you
    MELISSA MANCHESTER Shine like you should
    FRANNE GOLDE Isn’t it something
    VALERIE CARTER Crazy
    TERI DE SARIO Baby I don’t want your love
    CAROLE BAYER SAGER It’s the falling in love
    CARLY SIMON Tranquillo (melt my heart)
    JAYE P. MORGAN Let’s get together
    LAUREN WOOD Gotta lotta
    RENÉE GEYER Be there in the morning (Australian Single Version)
    MARIA MULDAUR Midnight at the oasis
    BRENDA RUSSELL New York bars
    LEAH KUNKEL Temptation
    AMY HOLLAND Strengthen my love
    CAROLE KING Disco Tech
    DORIS ABRAHAMS Dance the night away
    LYN CHRISTOPHER Take me with you

35. Sheena

I've got most of the Divine stuff already but I'll bite again to mop up the dregs :disco:

36. Sheena

Funkytowngrooves have another really good sale on - $4 for a whole load of titles. Obviously their STUPID postage policy ramps up the cost, but I've just got about 8 CDs for under £4 a pop inc P&P, so might be worth a look

37. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Thanks Shee, just (FINALLY) got the Diana Ross reissues :disco:

38. Sheena

Yeah, they were DIRT CHEAP on there! All their stuff eventually ends up in a bargain bin...

39. Sheena

Oh DISCO ORACLE, tell me, are the ERUPTION FEATURING PRECIOUS WILSON disco opuses worth the reissue purchase?

40. Shirley

I've never really got into the ERUPTION, I must have at least the first 2 albums but I CAN'T REALLY REMEMBER THEM. All a bit SUB-BONEY M (but not in a GOOD WAY) if you can even IMAGINE such a thing. I always thought 'One Way Ticket' was a bit rubbish