AN OFFICIAL CHERRY RED/CHERRY POP RECORDS THREAD TYPE AFFAIR

Discussion in 'The Classics - Albums and Songs' started by Sheena, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Might be a good idea to have an ALL ENCOMPASSING THREAD to talk SHIT IN about the "new releases" so we know JUST what's coming up...

And then maybe mods can divide off individual discussions if needs be?

Maybe once it gets going, we could post the link to Cherry Red- or on the facebook group too (they do have one) as it might be useful

ANYWAY, I'll get the ball rolling. Did we notice they're reissuing some PRIME DOLLAR in the next few weeks ? :disco:

2. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Only because VoR posted it in the other thread where it has gone largely unnoticed!

3. Star

Star Homo Secretary (OB)

IS this in the correct forum?

4. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Not for SOME of the SHITE they will be releasing, no...

5. loomer

loomer User

I need that Dollar Platinum Collection but aren't there some PRIME omissions?

6. foopy

foopy User

Did Dollar even HAVE a prime?

7. Sheena

Well yes, but the record label politics are ALL OVER THE PLACE

I shall be investing in the reissued albums, though the thought of bonus tracks of David Van Day solo tracks fills me with nothing more than ABSOLUTE TERROR

8. PJL

PJL User

I always thought Cherry Red were an indie/alt record label rather than a pop one. Though I guess even their pop selection could be considered cult.

9. Sheena

Yes, but Cherry Pop is an offshoot of it...doing 80s reissues mainly

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  10. loomer

loomer User

:D

11. loomer

loomer User

I have Pillows & Prayers, the classic early 80s indie compilation from Cherry Red

Features Red Box's pre-fame tracks and Tracey Thorn in her early incarnation The Marine Girls and a track from Quentin Crisp

Also has this

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0zySiUtank&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d0zySiUtank&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I have a vague memory of 'She Said She Said' being quite tasty but then I also liked that Stefan Dennis thing AT THE TIME

13. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Hazell Dean's first album, 'Heart First', is getting a reissue. I'm not sure how any of these can make any money but anyway....

1. Back In My Arms (Once Again)
    2. Searchin' (I Gotta Find A Man)
    3. Break The Rules
    4. Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go)
    5. You're Too Good To Be True
    6. Back In My Arms (Once Again) [Reprise]
    7. Heart First
    8. No Fool (For Love)
    9. Harmony
    10. Devil In You
    11. Everything I Need

Bonus Recordings:
    12. Stay In My Life
    13. Searchin' - 12" Version
    14. Whatever I Do (Wherever I Go) - 12" Mix
    15. Young Boy In The City
    16. Back In My Arms (Once Again) - 12" Mix
    17. Take Me Home
    18. No Fool (For Love) - 12" Version

14. Sheena

Oh hooray! That's been on my want list for ages!

15. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

Another essential release for pop aficionados, PWL boy band Big Fun's 1990 debut album receives the Special Edition treatment.
    Featuring four classic Stock Aitken Waterman-produced hit singles - the Jacksons cover "Blame It On The Boogie", "Can't Shake The Feeling", "Handful Of Promises" and "Hey There Lonely Girl" the album reached #7 on its original release, going gold.
    Digitally re-mastered direct from the original PWL studio tapes, this Special Edition features seven exclusive bonus tracks. A superb cover version of the Carole King classic "You ve Got A Friend", recorded with fellow PWL star Sonia but unreleased until now, features together with the SAW-penned 1990 hit of the same title.
    A host of sought-after 12" mixes, several on CD for the first time, include Big Fun's very first PWL recording: another King cover, "I Feel The Earth Move". Planned as a 1989 single, it became a major club hit but was ultimately withdrawn in favour of "Blame It On The Boogie".
    The extensive CD booklet includes full lyrics, additional photos and discography, brand new sleeve notes and commentary from Big Fun's Phil Creswick.
    Big Fun had built up a loyal following on the club scene before teaming up with SAW sent them straight to the top of the pop charts around the world. They supported Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue on the first two Hitman Roadshow tours of the UK in 1989, before headlining their own in 1990.
    "A Pocketful Of Dreams" is the latest classic Hit Factory album to bereissued on Cherry Pop, following releases by Princess, Lonnie Gordon, Mandy Smith, the London Boys, Hazell Dean, Sinitta and Haywoode. Look out for more to come during 2010!

I didn't know they used to be Hi-NRG ALSO-RANS Seventh Avenue. They were SHIT too

16. Shirley

And an ALLEGEDLY "LONG-AWAITED" reissue of 'The Time' by Bros. Long-awaited by WHOM EXACTLY?

17. Shirley

And 'Original Soundtrack' by S-EXPRESS

Now THAT's a BIT MORE LIKE IT

And it GAVE US BILLIE RAY MARTIN

18. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Ooh, S-Express - yes please.

Bros. and Big Fun however... a cursory spin on Spotify perhaps for history's sake.

19. VaVaVoom

VaVaVoom User

That Big Fun album was so bad it was almost good. I may have to buy it all over again.

Just checked out the Cherry Red website, and they also have "Into the Dragon" by Bomb the Bass, been trying to get hold of the "Don't Make Me Wait" single for ages - love that song! :)

20. Sheena

Nothing in the new BATCH for me. I have S'Express already, and I quite like it, but not enough to bother with a remaster. The other two are entirely DROSSTASTIC to me- who on EARTH is going to buy that Big Fun reissue? I guess it has SAW completists, but COME ON...

I had no idea Big Fun were once Seventh Avenue either. There's a song of theirs I QUITE LIKE but I can't for the LIFE of me think what that is...

21. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

I don't think it's Cherry Pop, but I notice Rick Astley's first two albums have been re-issued recently. Not tempted myself...

22. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

Play have a rather good sale on at the moment with quite a few of the Cherry Pop reissues going UNUSUALLY CHEAP:

Mandy for £3.99
    Lonnie for £2.99
    Eighth Wonder for £3.99
    S'Express for £3.99
    Dollar for £3.99

Hazell and Haywoode are both still full price unfortunately and of the BBR disco releases only Gladys is going cheap, but you can't have it all. I picked up Lonnie, Patsy and Gladys, as well as a Niecy Williams two albums on one cd affair for £1.99.

23. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Demon are releasing remastered Jason Donovan albums in September. I am beside myself with excitement.

24. Sheena

Oooh that's EIGHTH WONDER down the hatch for me then.

WELL DONE FETCH :disco:

25. Sheena

AWWW, Eighth Wonder is back up to full price.

As is Dollar's "The Paris Collection", which I don't know if it was on sale in the first place.

BOOO :(

26. FetchFugly

As of this afternoon the Eighth Wonder CD was also £3.99 on Amazon. :disco:

27. Sheena

This is why fetch is my FAVOURITE POSTER

He's the ORACLE :disco:

28. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

With you I really can't tell if that's in jest or not :shy:

29. FetchFugly

More Cherry Pop goodness coming up, with Jaki Graham this month, and in September Sonia, Boy Krazy and Spagna.

All the usual mixes/bonuses are included, with the exception of the Sonia tracklisting, which I guess is an error. I'll definitely be having a bit of Dedicated To The Moon, the Spagna compilations I have been looking at are a bit on the pricey side.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  30. Sheena

Cherry Pop really are the record label of my DREAMS. I've been wanting Jaki Graham for AGES (and yes, have had my eye on this for a while), I already own Sonia, i bought Boy Krazy ONLY secondhand ONLY LAST MONTH and Spagna has been on my ebay watch list FOREVER

YAY!

I tell you what, though, I NEVER buy pricey second hand cds off ebay anymore...JUST IN CASE THEY'RE REISSUED A MONTH LATER :D

31. FetchFugly

I bet ebay sellers of overpriced eighties pop tat CURSE THE DAY that Cherry Red branched out into PWL and the like.

32. Sheena

Without doubt! Cherry Red must have released a good 10 cds that I have been willing to pay £20 for...and I'm far from a SUPER LOON who would play the GOOD MONEY...

33. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Jaki will be mine! Set Me Free is sheer BRILLIANCE.

SET SET SET ME FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :disco:

34. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Oh my, I'm having a JAKI MOMENT as we speak.

Where the HELL is Donna? This is the perfect time to revive our discussion of Jaki's amazing BIN LINER SKIRTS wardrobe :evil:

35. Sheena

I love "Set Me Free", it's TREMENDOUS. "Step Right Up" is ALMOST AS GOOD too...

I want the first album as well, mind... :disco:

36. Sheena

Oh and I almost forgot

WOH OH
    SET ME FREE
    WOH OHHHHHH

37. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

They're also doing Culture Beat's Serenity, I've seen, so moving onto the nineties nostalgia market then. Surely the 2 Unlimited back catalogue is only a matter of time...

38. Krust

Krust User

Starting with the best album of the genre then - will be nice to have "the other side of me" sounding even better

39. Sheena

But how much of the 90s stuff really needs doing? Unlike the 80s, it mostly doesn't need remastering THAT BADLY and you can still get most 90s cds (Culture Beat included) for a quid in charity shops. I certainly won't be reinvesting in that...

40. Sheena

So my little package of £3.99 joy turned up this morning- Gladys is a REAL FIND, not quite FULL ON DISCO but a lovely bit of loungey/R&B disco-esque nonsense. PLEASING

I've had PATS AND CO for years anyway, but it sounds MUCH BETTER remastered, albeit that they can't do much with that ridiculous voice. Still find "Baby Baby" and "When The Phone Stops Ringing" LOVELY GUILTY PLEASURES though and "I'm Not Scared" is MAJESTIC now that you can hear it properly :disco: