Apocalypse Now

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by loomer, Jun 15, 2011.

?

Apocalypt_flyer Now

1. 10

42.9%
  2. 9

28.6%
  3. 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 7

28.6%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. loomer

loomer User

Often cited as one of, if not, THE best film ever, this has been reissued more times than Felix's "Don't You Want Me", it's back out yet again in the past couple of weeks, on the big screen and new Bluray - remember it was out in the early 90s as "Apocalypse Now Redux"? It's well known in America and everything but it seems particularly revered here.

But is its reputation as the best war film ever justified?

2. Helen_S

Helen_S User

I love the original version. The redux was a bit of a mess.

3. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

T'is OK, but I'd rather watch "Peggy Sue got married" anyday.

4. loomer

loomer User

The redux is long ass fuck! But I still kinda want 2 c it now.

This is a film I wanted to see (or rather thought I should based on reputation) since back in the days the redux came out (and I'm glad I saw the theatrical version, as Blade Runner and others were butchered with directors cuts) so I had to go when I saw it was coming back to the cinema and saw it last night.

And oh yes, I have to say this one lived up to the hype indeed.. right away it's easy to see this is classic stuff and has a legendary feel to it. There's much less filler than there is in The Godfather (indeed the original version is a manageable 2 1/2 hours, even if it's sprawling and epic).

I would have said before that Full Metal Jacket was the best film about the brutality of war, but this is the standard - and all the other Vietnam films that followed (bar the dreadful The Deer Hunter, released earlier but perhaps shot later) in its wake were obviously indebted to it, obviously influential. So many stories about the troubled shooting of this.

It's true that it's hard going at first which you'd expect, but it's not inaccessible and once you get into it, it becomes gripping. And it always looks amazing - the cinematography is very striking. The current issue of Little White Lies is dedicated to it and points out that the CGI generation won't get cinematic experiences like this and it was the end of an era.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  5. American guy

American guy User

I was told I need to see the theatrical version as I saw the Redux. I could get a sense at times of why this movie rates so highly with people. I really loved the look of it. I loved several of the conversations, such as the french plantation scene. Even though the editing in the Redux is horrible in that scene.

My main issue was that Martin Sheens crew acted like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles through most of the movie. There was a point where I just threw up my hands and said bring on The Shredder and Krang. WTH. I found it hard to take them serious when they acted so silly. I think that may be more do to scenes they chose to include in the reducx. I hope

6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

The French plantation sequence is completely absent from the theatrical version and it's all the better for it. This really is an incredible film though which I think anyone could find something to like in. It's a war film BUT NOT AS YOU KNOW IT, it's an adaptation of Conrad's "Heart Of Darkness" BUT NOT AS YOU KNOW IT, it's a character piece BUT NOT AS YOU KNOW IT, etc. etc.

The documentary that Copolla's wife Eleanor made during the filming (called Hearts Of Darkness and winner of loads of awards too) is quite essential as well. You'll understand why the film took 3 years to make and almost drove everyone involved QUITE BONKERS once you see it.

7. loomer

loomer User

At first I thought this was something of a non sequitur, and you choosing a polar opposite film to be contrary, but I had NO idea Coppola directed Peggy Sue. :D I love when auteurs branch out into different genres. I LOVE Rumblefish as far as he goes.

And Peekaboo, good to see you don't quite live up to your name anymore. Lurkers are ANNOYING. :bad:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  8. loomer

loomer User

I've heard a lot about Heart of Darkness as well and that's one I'm interested in. I think Sheen was driven crazy during the shoot.

There's also another take on it with Nick Nolte - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097334/

9. Edward

Edward User

My favourite film of all time.

10. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I watched this for the first time today (released as a 3 hours The Final Cut) and it’s fascinating. War movies are not my thing but this was really captivating.