Ariana Grande - No Tears Left To Cry & "Sweetener"

Discussion in 'Pop' started by dUb, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Listening to this now

Already slayed by Raindrops

2. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Halfway through my first listen. Shit so far!

Whatevar likes this.
  3. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

...and I'm finished. CRAP!

4. Jark

Jark User

Yes it's all a bit shit isn't it?

Breathin' however is wonderful. Next single with any luck.

5. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Yeah, that one stood out. I don't know what she's thinking. Clearly not interested in being a big pop girl for now, and it's a massive waste of her talents.

Jark likes this.
  6. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

What an absolutely DIABOLICAL album. Every single Pharrell track was shit, with tinny beats, no discerning melodies and the man himself grunting noises through the songs.

The only decent tracks are the two singles, and Everytime and Breathin' - the latter of which is the only possible choice left for a single. And they are all the Max Martin tracks.

I have no idea what she was thinking, but this is a HUGE misstep. She has already said she starts recording the new album next month. Probably a good thing.

Pipo, OutSynk and Jark like this.
  7. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

1. everytime
    2. breathin
    3. god is a woman
    4. no tears left to cry
    5. better off

I usually hate her albums on first listen but this wasn't so bad. :o

8. Whatevar

Whatevar WOOF

Once a basic bitch, always a basic bitch

KindaCool and Pipo like this.
  9. Slave

Slave User

It’s pretty much what I expected from her.

I was silently hoping she’d use the events of Manchester to deliver something that would really crossover and propel her to the next level.

But maybe her just doing what she’s good at is the statement she wanted to make.

10. OutSynk

OutSynk User

The album is exactly what I expected as we knew Pharrell would make up half of it. It all sounds so TINNY and from 2006.

Pipo likes this.
  11. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

well if the singles were anything to go by, I wasn't keeping my expectations very high to begin with but I'm glad Moopy (ie. 4 posters) HATE IT :disco:

Ariana cancelled until 2020 when she stops neglecting her big pop girl status.

WHO can we rely on that could save us for the latter half of 2018? :(

12. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

[​IMG]

Pipo, KindaCool and Suomi like this.
  13. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Do you think Britney’s got another Blackout Femme Fatale in her?

Maybe Madonna’s got another Ray of light Confessions Music Hard Candy up her sleeve

Janet? Sugababes? Kesha?
    Maybe it’ll be a MAN

If everyone just unclenched and realised that they should take a break and listen to Girls Generation and Perfume we can enjoy our lives. I mean if people are physically able to listen to SOPHIE, I’m sure they can wrap their heads around basically an Asian Girls Aloud

14. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

The last track has 40 seconds of silence to honour the Manchester bombing victims - I actually got a bit teary listening to that silence, and I haven’t shown any real emotion since Jurassic Park came out in 1993.

SDF and Pipo like this.
  15. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Somewhat disappointing.

I love Borderline though. It's quite smooth. Apart from the dreadful "I'm the wifey type" line :zombie:

In fact, I think that's her biggest weakness. Her lyrics are always so insipid and juvenile. It's like she writes with the vocab of a 10 year old.

16. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I assumed that was what would happen too.

17. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

breathin feels very obviously the next single. I quite like successful too

Its certainly not as good as the Dangerous Woman album but her voice is phenomenal

18. dUb

dUb GLOBAL

Same.

Anyway I’m relistening with ADJUSTED expectations and it’s growing on me :evil:

19. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

So it's rotten then? I haven't given it a spin yet but that's a shame if so.

This should absolutely have been the album that propelled her to superstardom :(

20. Kalabaliken

I really don’t know much of Pharrell’s work but every single one of his songs is so terrible. It’s very much an album of two sides, all the non-Pharrell songs are decent enough.

21. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

It definitely deserves a spin (Frisbee style).

22. Kalabaliken

I heard that they added the non-Pharrell stuff very late in the day, I assume in desperation. They should have binned the whole fucking lot of his stuff and started again.

23. Slave

Slave User

At odds with the general consensus here, the Pharrell stuff appears to be garnering the most praise from the few reviews I’ve read so far.

24. Kalabaliken

From reviewers yes, but not going by her fans on social media or other forums though.

To think we had the likes of Greedy and Touch It on the last album infuriates me. I suppose I do understand that she wanted to branch out more, but this feels like it should be two or three albums or so down the line, not after the biggest album of her career and when she should be stepping things up a level. Breathin' is the only track left on the album that is single worthy, and that doesn't look good for the longevity of the album. It's telling that it's the track which is being pushed on streaming over and above anything else.

After two amazing singles, there was so much to look forward to for this album but it's like when you pull someone from Grindr after seeing their dick pics and then when you get them naked it turns out it was all about angles...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  25. Jark

Jark User

I didn't read that whole post because my time is finite but Greedy is fucking amazing and this album could've used one

Christian, Pipo, SDF and 1 other person like this.
  26. OutSynk

OutSynk User

I personally much prefer "Everytime" to "Breathin'". Wouldn't be surprised if the latter underperformed if it got released like Taylor's "Style". Huge fan favorite but the GP (and me) paid it dust.

27. Ozymandias

Ozymandias User

basically she works well with max martin and nobody should ever record let alone release anything by pharrell

i’m glad we are agreed

28. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Album head to head this week.Will be interesting to compare worldwide sales with Gabrielle's.

Christian, Jark, SDF and 3 others like this.
  29. Suedey

Suedey Bachelor No. 2

I can't. :D

30. POP!

POP! Across that county line

I got the impression that "No Tears..." was rather big, wasn't it? "God is a Woman" is shaping up to do the same (I think was #11 on the HOt 100 as of late) and is still top ten on US iTunes along with "Breathin". So I don't really think she has a problem keeping the momentum going. This album definitely committed to not giving us another "Side to Side", "Problem", or "Break Free" or even "Love Me Harder" but "Breathin" and "Everytime" sound like hits.

I am surprised at the very negative reaction on here (and many other corners of the internet). She is trying something a lot of her peers aren't , this SHITS all over Selena's last few attempts for example. I am also hearing a lot of Prince homages on the Pharrell tracks ("Successful", "REM" immediately come to mind), which is interesting coming from her.

Some of my favorites:

"Breathin" - no-brainer next single, it is already top ten on US iTunes
    "REM"
    "Successful"
    "Everytime"
    "God is a Woman"
    "Goodnight n Go"

31. OutSynk

OutSynk User

Pharrell's old scraps?

Pipo likes this.
  32. POP!

She is delivering them WELL

33. Pipo

God Is A Woman just doesn't click with me, am I DEAD INSIDE? In fact I've been having moments to The Light Is Coming :zombie: (yes I know)

whoever said that the Pharrell was added at the last minute couldn't be more accurate since most of his stuff sounds like it was produced in 5 minutes. But people acting up like he's very hit and miss shocks me because he's ALWAYS been like that. Some triumphant moments (Slave, Boys, Havana, Rock Your Body) and some awful nonstarters that scream desperation for a hit but fail completely (Sangria Wine, I was gonna cancel, Spark the fire :zombie: ).

Artists need to stop treating him like the ultimate hit maker cause a Max Martin/Dr. Luke he ain´t.

34. POP!

No, you just hate women.

Pipo likes this.
  35. Pipo

it's boring and it drags :disco: gimme the Troye Sivan duet anytime

36. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I'm kinda intrigued to hear this because of the varying reactions it has elicited to see which camp I fall into. I'll buy it tomorrow I think.

As for Pharrell my favourite record he produced was the bulk of Gloria Estefan's 'Miss Little Havana' which similarly is front loaded with the tracks he worked on. However, I suspect Glo and Emilio snuck back into the studio to twiddle a few buttons on the songs he did once he'd signed off for the day.

37. Kalabaliken

No, the NON-Pharrell stuff was added at the last minute. The album was originally ALL Pharrell. Thank fuck someone somewhere saw a bit of sense, shame it wasn't enough.

Breathin is #3 globally on streaming, they should shoot a video and get it out there.

38. Jark

Jark User

which is... what?

Pipo likes this.
  39. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Finding a new commercial sound. It's not the sound us online gaez want to hear from her, but she's the most experimental of all her peers I think. Certainly more than poxy old Taylor Swift and Katy Perry. It's a kind of trippy/moody pop. I think over time the album will be more appreciated.

40. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

It's running at 77 on metacritic, so it seems like critics are generally favourable.