ARTPOP FIRST LISTEN PARTY

Discussion in 'Lady Gaga' started by Penelope, Nov 2, 2013.

1. cwej

cwej User

Once again... I never said you said that. People are hella defensive in here!! I'm just saying that if it's decent pop music (which it is), then it IS art. It doesn't have to be groundbreaking to be art.

2. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

That's well and good but absolutely not where she's been pitching it herself by feebly attempting to hitch her wagon to Koons, Warhol and Abromovich!

3. Ag

Ag User

I know. But my point was totally within context.

4. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

I think I may have to agree!

And yes today we are having a SWINE PARTY!! :disco:

5. Ag

Ag User

It's a decent pop album, loaded with songs that are equally good and bad! Thankfully there's a good three or four songs with less irritating features.

6. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

This quote should go on the moopy welcome page :D

7. Daniel

Daniel User

Okay, here it goes.

With her attempt at the great American album with Born This Way, exploring broader themes than she did during her debut with even broader brush strokes, she made an album for “her fans” but more importantly, she made an album that felt like it was stating something of purpose; it was a collective exploration of identity with some cracking exploration of pop production thrown into the mix. Big, brash, self-important, it was Gaga slipping off her purposefully created aloof mask and laying down her manifesto of what her artistry and life boiled down to in three simple words. As intoned on the album cover, she is an ever evolving machine, but where does Gaga go from there?

Well, another attempt at sloganeering and self-branding with ARTPOP, an all-encompassing theme that is intended to run through her music, videos and performances for the next few years as one long project, in her words it feels like her first true album...

It’s a shame then, that it feels like the music doesn't connect with this overarching concept. While Born This Way wrapped music with intent to create her best album to date, it feels like Gaga this time round is simply recording music she likes to make for the hell of it, which makes for a fun, but ultimately hollow diversion; a calculated retread to a place where “lack of maturity or sense of responsibility” rules with the repeated exploration of themes and topics that Gaga leans on like a crutch ad nauseum.

As a member of her team pointed out, perhaps without realising the irony, Gaga can write 100 different songs based on a single title. Does the play on gender reversal during traditional sex have the same bite in G.U.Y. as it did when she played with the same double entendre in Poker Face, and later on in Government Hooker? While Aura is Gaga at her most interesting lyrically on ARTPOP, “Do you want to see the girl who lives behind the aura?” doesn't have the same ring as it does post-BTW, when she spent the entire album (intentionally and not) wearing her heart on her sleeve.

It’s the reiterated point of disrobing to show that the girl underneath is the same girl as the one who wears the crazy masks, she was born this way after all, but at least this point has another purpose here through an interesting prism of female equality, but by the same token, does satirical fashion pastiche Donatella really need to be on a Gaga album in 2013?

Thankfully then, she has still managed to come up with some career best choruses and hooks; the sting of Venus, the seduction of Aura, the party ruckus of Sexxx Dreams, the melodic Do What U Want, the middle 8 of Mary Jane Holland, the full-throated “goodess of love” cry, the layering of voices in Donatella, I’MI’MI’MI'MI'MI'M A GYPSY GYPSY GYPSY.

Yet, even when she is at her best here, there is a cool electronic distance and coldness to a lot of her vocals. She’s become more detached than ever; like drinking an ice cold drink, it’s refreshing pop, but it leaves a lingering chill, and in MANiCURE’s case, leaves me completely cold. The exploration of EDM production here verges into levels of cacophony that takes listens to unwind, and that is if you’re willing.

And despite all that it’s still, uneven as it is, better than most pop albums this year. There are no “will-this-do” songs, and it is great to see an artist making pop with such abandon. It’s just this time, the Gaga train has stalled; the well's run dry, the coal's been mined, and there are too many songs that work as throwaway curiosities on such a crucial album. We're almost six years in now since Just Dance impacted the world like a small drop in a pond, and we're reaching the point where Gaga is going to have to switch things up and make an album that speaks volumes all by itself; words are wind.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  8. Daniel

Daniel User

09 Aura
    07 Venus – One of her most evocative and interesting songs, it feels like it could have been a top tier Gaga track, but desperately needs a professional producer to come in and clean it up. As it is, it works fine enough even if the song loses something in context (it’s all a bit much coming straight after Aura), the drama of the chorus is a true highlight.
    08 G.U.Y.
    10 – Sexxx Dreams – One of her best songs ever, the chorus was already orgasmic from the first snippet, but the additions added since make it all just too much; I think I self-combusted on first listen, the way the call backs subtly change throughout (YOU. WERE. IN. MY / DON’T STOP THE PARTY / TOMORROW WHEN I RUN INTO YOU), the strident opening synths, the sudden disco breakdown, the sexually frustrated “Help me here” pleas, the sultry verses. A joy, a total joy, it’s enough to melt the slight problem of, again, those detached electronic vocals.
    07 – Jewels N' Drugs – Braving the uncharted waters of trap is the return of urban friendly Gaga; this is a clear case of a decently produced curiosity (like Cake) that should have been left off the album (like Cake). Anyway for what it is, it’s a riot, hangs together well and is one of the tracks I go back to most. The chorus proper is one of the best, and most spirited, on the album.
    05 – MANiCURE – My biggest disappointment; it falls flat for me on record.
    10 – Do What U Want – Pop bliss.
    08 – ARTPOP – Just a tad navel gazing, it’s well realised, but those vocals still keep me from really connecting. Particularly love the lyric “Lovers’ kites / are flown on beaches for public sight”
    06 – Swine – That drop is intensely visceral, great theme, let down by being a big fat mess.
    06 – Donatella – This all feels so sad, a fun listen (aside from the lyrically horrific bomb of a second verse), but this was deemed worthy to make the tracklist out of over 50 contenders? That aside, I like the vocal acting, and the blazing statement of “I’m a rich bitch / I’m the upper class” is too much. The Voodoo, voodoo, Voo–don-na-na is a swell hook.
    08 – Fashion! – What a fantastic groove, her vocals are joyful and unclouded for once, but another song about bloody fashion? It’s a dichotomy of being a completely throwaway song being made fantastically well.
    07 – Mary Jane Holland – The middle 8 is inspired, but it all feels a bit dead behind the eyes at this point, despite the joyful party atmosphere it’s going for.
    09 – Dope – Like I said before, a sobering punch in the gut. The crack of the production as she dives into the chorus for the second time is everything.
    10 – Gypsy – There’s something missing from this that prevents it reaching the heights of Marry the Night or The Edge of Glory, but for sheer pop abandon, it trumps them both. The “Bust the rear view and fire up the jets / Coz it’s me and you / Baby, for life” part before launching into the final assault is in another galaxy of pop that her contemporary competitors are just not able to reach. It’s why despite everything, she’s still the most interesting A-list pop bitch we have at the moment. Long may she reign.
    08 – Applause – It feels a bit of a comedown after the Gypsy highs, but this has grown on me a lot recently (and compared to what else is on the album, you realise just how well it works as a pop song, that’s context for you).

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  9. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

:disco: :disco: :disco:

10. Jark

Jark campione

I take issue with much of that review tbh.

11. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I think lots of it is hugely on point. Bravo Daniel!

12. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Who knew our Danny was such a good writer :disco:

Watch out Jonfessions!

13. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Yeah, Daniel, I was MUCHOS impressed!

14. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Well, it took me ages to bother listening to this but i'm obsessed with G.U.Y. And indeed most of the SLUTTIER numbers on this, come to think of it...

15. Jark

Jark campione

Amended scores after an average of 2-3 listens through per day... for this one I tried to be really objective.

10 Aura
    08 Venus
    09 GUY
    10 Sexxx Dreams
    09 Jewels n Drugs
    08 MANiCURE
    09 Do What U Want
    10 Artpop
    09 Swine
    08 Donatella
    06 Fashion!
    07 Mary Jane Holland
    08 Dope
    11 Gypsy
    10 Applause

16. Jark

Jark campione

And yes, I now prefer it even to BANGERZ.

17. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I know our differences are what makes us who we are, but I just cannot fathom anyone rating Jewels & Drugs the same as G.U.Y. and Do What You Want.

18. straightorbroken

Only Jentina could pull off such a beefy hip hop stench.

19. Jark

Jark campione

Jewels is much like Gaga herself: everybody may claim to hate it, but nobody can stop talking about it! :disco: Slap honey on your pancake!

20. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

21. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

I can only agree. There's something that transcends being asinine about that. (read: partially deaf.)

22. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

UPDATED RATE - FAV CHOICE OF ARTLYRIQUE (if there is any)

09 Aura - Enigma popstar is fun she wear burqa for fashion! it's not a statement (of an opinion :D) as much as it's just a move of PASSION!
    10 Venus - the 3rd VEYMIS
    09 GUY - love me love me plz RT
    10 Sexxx Dreams - and it was, kinda dirty. And the way that you looked at me. It was kinda nasty. So ITZney. <3
    00 Jewels n Drugs - the thought of a good lyric in this crap :manson:
    07 MANiCURE - CAN YOU FEEL IT CAN YOU FEEL IT CAN YOU FEEL IT CAN YOU FEEL IT
    08 Do What U Want
    10 Artpop
    06 Swine - feels like she wrote this song for her little monsters. I know I know I know you want me, you're just a pig inside a human's body.
    07 Donatella
    09 Fashion! - lookin' good and feelin' fine lookin' good and feelin' fine lookin' good and feelin' fine (SWAY)
    08 Mary Jane Holland
    08 Dope
    11 Gypsy - Cause I'mI'mI'mI'mI'mI'm a gypsy gypsy gypsy, I'm
    10 Applause - this one is actually FULL of amazing lyrix :disco:

OVERALL: 8.13

Coming from the same person who gave TFM 10.00 this is disappointing. :(

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  23. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

That about it sums it up for me - having listened to to it properly for the first time today, I'm left pretty satisfied by the whole experience. Certainly her most accomplished album to date.

24. Pipo

Pipo i feel like i am the Paris of people

Can´t stop listening to it :(

Even Venus sounds TREMENDOUS to these ears.

25. Loufoque

Definitely. I love how much of a mess it is.

26. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I've just realised how much the song "Artpop" owes to Grace Jones, and her "Nightclubbing" era...

27. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

My latest (POSSIBLY JARK SUGABABES ESQUE) rank and rate

1. Do What U Want 11
    2. Artpop 10
    3. Venus 10
    4. Applause 10
    5. Gypsy 10
    6. Aura 10
    7. Sexxx Dreams 10
    8. GUY 9
    9. Donatella 9
    10.Dope 9
    11.Fashion 9
    12.Mary Jane Holland 8
    13.Manicure 7
    14.Swine 7
    15.Jewels and Drugs 3 (it's GROWN on me :D )

Album of the year, without question.

28. Pipo

I thought of THIS particular gem lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UuXBHJAkKqk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

29. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

My highlights after 24 hours of ARTPOP:

1. Venus - I'd believe me if you told me this was written by Benny and Bjorn - I can hear Agnetha and Frida singing the chorus of this and I bet once you realise too you won't be able to think otherwise either. THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC
    2. Gypsy - This is what my ideal 'Heat 4, Song 8' Melodifestivalen song would sound like, complete with glorious catwalk strut as the song builds. The 'I-I-I' breakdown is undeniable to any true pop fan.
    3. Do What U Want - Melodically reminds me of my former favourite Gaga track 'So Happy I Could Die' - but this time with added self-confidence. The last 15 seconds are magic.
    4. ARTPOP - The first track I heard from this album, and the sole reason I bothered to listen to any of it at all. Funny how the title track is the most restrained.
    5. Fashion! - This must borrow from something? Is that "Holiday"!? Is she taking the piss? Oh well, whatever it is that baseline is a welcome addition to my ipod.

30. Ag

Ag User

500 Internal Server Error?

31. Penelope

Penelope FYFFES FOR ALL

UPDATED

07 Aura
    08 Venus - the 'take me to your planet' bit is still utter shit but I've u-turned on the rest of it SO HARD. HAVE AN OYSTER BABY IT'S APHRODI-SY :disco:
    09 GUY
    10 Sexxx Dreams - easily my favourite album track. It's the out of it slut track I never knew I needed so bad.
    03 Jewels N Drugs
    08 Manicure
    09 Do What U Want
    09 Artpop
    03 Swine
    08 Donatella
    08 Fashion
    07 Mary Jane Holland
    07 Dope
    11 Gypsy - it grew. Suomi's so on the mark with this it hurts - as does the knowledge that this never will be heat 4 track 8 :(
    10 Applause

32. Pipo

33. POP!

POP! Across that county line

"Mary Jane Holland" is sloppy as most of the rest but I've really come around to it, what a delightful ruckus of a chorus.

34. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

Girls,

I think

TAKE ME TO YO PLANET
    TAKE ME TO YO PLANET
    TAKE ME TO YA LEADA
    YA LEADA
    YA LEADA

trumps

Imimimimimimimim a gypsy gypsy gypsy im

now

35. Loufoque

YAY :D

36. Jark

Jark campione

Fashion! is firmly my least favourite now. I simply do not wish to have "slay!" shrieked at me over and over by fiercely hetero will.I.am of all people.

37. Loufoque

I adore Fashion! It's completely the trilogy of amazing, reductive Gags rip-offs: Born This Way/Express Yourself, Fashion of His Love/I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) and now Fashion!/Let's Dance

38. straightorbroken

So the 2nd verse of Gypsy: does anyone get Video Killed The Radio Star vibes at this point? Not the chorus obviously.

39. Loufoque

OMG :D

40. Loufoque

This may be the LAST great Moopy thread.

Every bitch in the game was firing on all cylinders. :D