ARTPOP FIRST LISTEN PARTY

Discussion in 'Lady Gaga' started by Penelope, Nov 2, 2013.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Do you know I think I may hold out for the proper release.

Probably better that way for her, in as much as she'll get a sale out of it. From what I'm reading here, if I go for the rip, I'll probably never bother.

2. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

"daniel mysteriously quiet" OH TAGGER, you are AWFUL :D

3. ameraal

ameraal trash

and you're afraid she'll have no money to buy free drugs?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

:D

Doing her out of a quid might make the next album actually palatable!

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Well if illegally downloading is FOR THE GREATER GOOD, who am I to argue?

6. Pipo

Pipo welcome to moopatica

I need to get my ears checked because I'm finding Dope UNBEARABLE SHITE while everyone is losing their panties to it :gross:

Bt then again, I'm living for FASHION!

7. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Save us all from Gags and her coke fuelled ego Lolly!

8. COB

COB Wishin' I was toothless

Apart from the singles (buzz or otherwise), Aura, G.U.Y and Sexxx Dreams (which is SENSATIONAL) I'm finding the album pretty rough going :( I reckon I like Jewels 'N' Drugs more than most seem to, though...

9. Kevin

Kevin Niet meer zo lang geleden

I don't like it either. And I agree Fashion is great.

10. Pipo

Fashion! is just so Let's Dance (Bowie) + Early The Fame I love it to bits.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  11. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

I like Fashion! now.

12. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I don't like the adjustments she made on Sexxx Dreams since the iTunes festival.

13. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

She wishes it was even vaguely close to kissing Bowie's Chanel buttons!

It's throwaway pissdribble!

14. Dr Lecter

Dr Lecter HAS BEEN

So is this the life changing reverse Warholian masterpiece that been hyped for a year ?

I'm quite tempted to download.

15. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Two years doll. It totally lived up to the hype*!

* your mileage may vary

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Dope is possibly the worst thing I've heard from this project yet. She's finally recorded a ballad even more horrible than Brown Eyes.

17. Pipo

PREACH!

Watch her release it as a single come SPRING OHFOURTEEN

18. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

I've renamed the album as 'FARTPOP' and I'm giving it a second listen now. I've gone all the way to 'Manicure' and I'm enjoying it slightly more than during my first listen.

19. ameraal

ameraal trash

oooh, liking gypsy. it's very me right now.

20. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

I'm on my 2nd consecutive listen now (my ears are proving quite resistant tonight) and I think it's getting better slowly. Or something is really wrong with me. Hard to tell.

21. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

This album is MAGNIFICENT!

I've only just got through it once - 1 song is utterly unlistenable though, but I was starting to get disappointed that there wasn't anything repulsing me in that good old being repulsed by Gaga way that makes the experience of putting on one of her albums complete.

22. cwej

cwej User

I love it. :D Just to throw my tuppence in.

Seriously, I totally get the album title. I DO think it's pop music done in an artistic way. If that means I'm falling for her bullshit, so be it - it feels like artistic pop music to me. I think the structure of the songs is generally great. I also don't find it a chore AT ALL. I'd say there are 3 pretty weak tracks in Mary Jane Holland, Jewels'n'Drugs and Dope. Oddly all 3 have a linking theme, which was not the reason I don't like them, but is just an observation.

Everything else is great! I particularly love Gypsy (like everyone), but also Applause, Fashion!, Aura, Do What You Want and Donatella. As a few people have said though, the order of the tracks is bizarre. Four of those 4 of the 6 tracks that I love are near the end of the album.

This is a huge improvement on Born This Way for me, which was far too up its own arse for its own good.

09 Aura
    07 Venus (though I hated this before hearing it in context)
    08 G.U.Y.
    07 Sexxx Dreams
    03 Jewels'n'Drugs
    08 Manicure
    09 Do What U Want
    06 Artpop
    07 Swine
    08 Donatella
    10 Fashion!
    03 Mary Jane Holland
    04 Dope
    10 Gypsy
    11 Applause

23. Daniel

Daniel User

Oh, I'll be back, just as soon as my album arrives :disco:

24. Pipo

I gave the album a second listen and now I do LOVE it, it must be said. Miles better than BTW!

The highs are better than ever and the lows are awful DRECK. The Zedd tracks are particularly amazing (having just seen him live for the first time this past saturday) plus he's beautiful

25. Loufoque

It's a grower! I played it last night and it's fab!

26. Tramell

Tramell Amen Fashion

Can't wait to listen to the full thing :disco:

27. Loufoque

So messy. So reductive. So GAGS! :disco:

28. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

1-7-19-38-50-78-109-145-OUT

Chart trajectory here we COME :disco:

29. Loufoque

Free my mind, CHARTFLOP!
    You make my career STOP!
    :disco:

30. cwej

cwej User

Manicure upgraded to a 9 (possibly verging on 10) on my walk to work this morning... It makes me WALK LIKE I'm OWNING it on RU PAUL's CATWALK.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  31. Loufoque

I love Manicure too.

I love the whole thing now. Except maybe J&D.

32. cwej

cwej User

She sounds like Sophie Ellis Bextor on Artpop the song!

33. Loufoque

Wash your mouth out!

34. d22ghj

d22ghj User

Dope has been #1 on itunes US for the past day despite the album having leaked.

35. Loufoque

The "Louf looks for good in anything" tag is very flattering

I'm glad I'm seen as a positive person with an optimistic view on things and not a fun-sucking philistine like... some queens :disco:

36. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I won't bother with the full album as I can't be arsed but the R Kelly one is on the radio a bit and its fucking great. Best song she's put out since the first project

37. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Which is not real because her actual tweets are much better

38. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

god she's making no sense anymore. she sounds like a malfunctioning robot

39. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

Get ready for your eyes to bleed or to die just a little inside :D

And so it is, Artpop (or Pop That Sounds Like Last Time And The Time Before) has arrived like half a seashell bra falling off and then pretending it was deliberate. With Geru going after dignified love songs about giving the finger and smuggling chocolate cake in her pocket to avoid a telling off from Bluebell Madge, it's up to Gags to restore unseemly excruciation and tasteless brilliance to the avant garde pop lexicon.

09 Aura
    Whilst on most of it she sounds as if she barely knows what's going on herself, the fabulously awkward "ha's" jab like bullets, almost daring you to even like this at all. That thrashing chorus is monumental. It could be a wreck, but it's so unflinching and verging on both a nervous breakdown and a 10.

10 Venus

Love the mincing synth rhythm that squelches this into action. More than a flash of sci-fi, a camp eclipse, the chorus is one big lunge into a disco milky way no try-hard tranny has ever been before. "Goddess of love" is enthused so angrily its possibly the most serene she's ever sounded. For anyone else, this harsh and startling musical landscape would be uninhabitable, but this is Gaga in freefall.

10 G.U.Y

I'm all over and feasting on this. Yet enother chorus that bounces off the padded walls and ceiling, bewildering verses, manic production that works in every way, kitsch spoken word sections, it just connects. This HAS to be a single. Now, if ever there was a moment to inject a little Madge...

10" Sexxx Dreams

Taking sex issues by the hand. More try before you bi sex thrills, perfumed psychosis, and things of that nature, she has this one down in her sleep. The vibrator-buzzing Calvin Harris riff penetrates me in ways even Mel Beh couldn't imagine. Oh YES!

I can't believe I'm telling you this, but I've had a couple of drinks, and oh my god hahaha :D :D :D

00 Jewels N' Drugs

The joys of simplicity. Tell us how you feel, GURL.

10 Manicure

A deluge of grungey textures, this is more than just posturing despite sounding anything but natural, there is a melody and it's more huge than her favourite cocks. Clink and kink of hard drum-driven beats, deliberately near-cheerless chanting, persistent loudness, a subtle tinkle here and there, and her Germanically and just manically dour vocal potion is just the right dosage of cock-drunk Gags.

10 Artpop

Dreamy moodpeice, this is the one I heard from the iTunes gig and liked the most. The hovering electronica and oozing melody are really something. This could be art, it's certainly not a hit and actually sounds above even wanting to be. "Artpop could mean ANYTHING... ANYTHING" is snarled monotonously, like a fabulously bored response to the less enthusiastic feelings towards her album title.

11 Donatella

One of the most instantly engrossing songs so far. It's also laugh out loud stuff (and for once she's in on the joke), but the whole thing just feels so free, almost every moment accessorized with stand out phrases. This Gaga has been missed. An instant must-have item.

10 Fashion!

Since her original will forever be in the shadow of Heidi's definitive reading it makes sense to, like her nose (which we'll all always be in the shadow of in a different way), carve out a new one. Chic savoir faire, Daft Punk electronic guitar, and Gaga's most rewarding subject matter.

10 Mary Jane Holland

This is solid and sticks to its melody without deviating into sections that interrupt the flow. The thick slush of grinding electro sounds is like a deep-freeze Alejandro. If Mary-J Holland herself was passed around the Spanish name-rhyming waiters 2 years ago in Ibiza to the soundtrack of Ace of Base, I doubt she went full term as she's off to Amsterdam and off her face on the biggest and best roar-fest of 2013. The sludge of sounds is rich as piss, and the whole thing reeks of brilliance. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN :disco:

00 Dope

When trying to pull back to the bones of her craft, there's suddenly not a lot there beyond sounding like a sloshed Liza slumping up to a piano player (who is too polite or getting paid too much to say no) in her hotel foyer at 2am, but in the most forced out manner imaginable. Presumably a croaky depiction of a ballad that's meant to make you feel something other than wanting to be sick or just guffaw. A poisoned love song, but the gloomy artifice is a drag.

10 Gypsy

Drool-worthy waves of sound. A euphoric tide of soothing despair, it all crashes together to stunning effect. When most unburdened by theatrics she's very effective. The credits are rolling. The chorus unleashes yet another career peak, it soars above any critique any second-rate queen could throw up at her.

It makes me want to write G-R-E-A-T all over my face.

10 Applause

Whether this was written to revel in the carnage of her own career and so-called decline, which she most certainly tried to project or at least tap into on the video and VMAs thing, there is no denying this was nothing but a huge success. I'm not really sure she has a huge loon-base and the chart-run speaks volumes. The drawling and dour vocal that has surpassed being embarrassing, as if breaking through the taste barrier, are now essential components of one of the year's best and biggest hits. The thunderous accessibility of the chorus makes it one of her biggest pay-offs since TFM. Completely on point. The Gloria Swanson of techno.

09 Swine

Filler, but still killer. "Squeal out, you're so disgusting" expands the limits of I Like It Rough, but it gets a bit sparse for me. Gaga's off the leash creativity with on the leash/collar/muzzle/whatever imagery is a clear sign that her indulgence is paying off. The jagged-glass techno clatter is at its most here.

10 Do What U Want

I have Rn'B thrush just thinking about this. Exhilarating. An ironic title given she had to hastily record it to provide the album some proper (bow) legs. Writing solid hooks, with an emphatic vocal that verges of the demonic, will thankfully always be her crutch (as well as a quick discography search on Wikipedia for other people's ideas obviously). That vocal is like being hit with a hammer over and over again - the track has all the hooks, the profanity and immense production, but it's her vocal that does all the damage :disco:

Gaga's pranks have lasted long enough for one to know what to expect, and a clean execution was never one of those things. She might be pushing fingers down throats rather than boundaries, but the unrelenting techno heat and undisciplined techno-dystopia create a grandeur i'm finding a trifle essential for my Q4 listening program. Cocking and coking an ear to avant garde techno(uveau) noises as ever: there's nothing that hasn't occupied her magpie pipette before, but with beats so meaty she could wear them as a dress, you're getting the ride you paid for.
    The name Lady Gaga is itself a harsh disclaimer, but beyond the flush of Nina Hagen on steroids guttural splatterings and hic-ups, she now has her own domineering pyscho-fatale presence. Riddled with phoniness she might still be at times, the fast and eager sensations create something offshoot that's bewildering and beguiling on her own kitchen-sink terms. Cramming it all in may not make her creative, but it does make her unmissable.

40. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Now she's a reverse of Warhol :D !!!

oh keep on giving, Gags, keep on GIVING!