AS4 E04: Jersey Justice

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by VoR, Jan 1, 2019.

1. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Manila or Valentina for me

2. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

What an episode!

The improv challenges are always a bit meh but I think Valentina really should have been in the top 2

And as for Latrice going, well I think all things considered she did the worst in the challenge and it was the right decision from that perspective. If I were Monique, I don’t think I’d have had the balls to send her packing though :D

Manila’s reaction was really sad to watch. Out of the remaining contestants she certainly had the biggest legacy, and she is playing the game much better than she was a few weeks back. Surely a contender for the final.

Beverley likes this.
  3. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I actually thought the challenge was AWFUL. It was unfunny across the board and dragged (excuse the pun)- and yes, what IS IT with Stacy Lane Matthews?

Anyway, right bottom two, I'm gutted to see Latrice go before she did anything, but she really did deserve to be the loser. The lip sync was terrible- Monique clearly won it, but it was just a Tina Turner impression rather than doing anything unique and interesting. Manila was utterly rubbish- which was bizarre, considering what we know she CAN do and how she said she was going to go all out. I still think she's my favourite overall, though.

So does it look like there is no returning queen thing GOING ON? How many episodes do we have left? Anyway, Queen rate based on how well they're doing:

1. Manila
    2. Trinity
    3. Monique
    4. Valentina
    5. Naomi
    6. Monet

4. Ag

Ag User

Obviously another great episode. I had great expectations for Latrice, but as the series went on you do begin to realise she's coated on personality for a very long time.

To echo Manila and Trinity are an easy top 2. How many episodes do we have left?

5. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Kim Chi's outfit on The Pit Stop! :D

Gangsta Nancy Lam likes this.
  6. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

I really did expect Monet to go home. She's become the Kandi Ho of this season.

Manila is a fucking superstar. She's so wonderfully animated. The bit when she started barking...I lost it. Laughed a lot at her part.

7. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Queen rate:

1 Valentina
    2 Manila
    3 Trinity

4 Monique
    5 Naomi

6 Monét

But I fully expect Monét to do well next week in the comedy challenge next week

8. VoR

Valentina's doing well, but I really don't want to see her *win*. She's far too cold and produced, which is entertaining in and of itself, but doesn't really an All Star make, for me.

1. Trinity
    2. Manila
    3. Monique
    4. Naomi
    5. Valentina
    6. Monet

I like Monet but she's painfully out of her depth.

9. Sheena

If we're doing who I WANT to win, then it's Manila or Valentina...they're the best combination of best/ most entertaining for me...

Gangsta Nancy Lam and Chlammy like this.
  10. Beryl

Beryl Boy stop, step awaaaaay.

Monique, Manila, Trinity and Valentina are the clear top 4. There needs to be some real romper room fuckery for that to be any different. Be nice to see someone not white and blonde in the hall of fame too!

11. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Naomi is seriously underperforming

12. lolly

For me Naomi isn't underperforming, but then I expected relatively little of her. On the whole I've been impressed with her, but I agree she's lacked a WOW so far. I think she still has a decent chance of top 4, but she needs something to make her shine.

I think if she did make top 4 it would be at Monique's expense. I never feel entirely confident in her delivering. But then I've been wrong on that front before.

13. Iguana

Iguana User

1. Manila
    2. Valentina

3. Trinity

4. Naomi
    5. Monique
    6. Monet

I enjoyed the episode, I think this season is turning out really well. I really hope Manila wins, I loved her on her season too.

Alla likes this.
  14. Iguana

Iguana User

Completely agree with this. I like Naomi a lot more now than I did on her season. I think she's definitely benefited from AS4 even if she hasn't quite shone.

15. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Yeah I really don’t think Naomi is underperforming

I think she’s been consistently in the good category all season

16. Sheena

Naomi was good on her season- she just wasn't ridiculous or outstanding enough for me to remember that until she came back for AS4. She could be a finalist on this form...

17. Crash

Crash Thank You

I think Naomi has been on great form, she is consistently praised by the judges, performs wells in challenges and has had some memorable runways. I think it's slightly unfair she's not been giving a top placing yet, where she's been in the top 3 on a number of occasions.

If it's not a Trinity and Manila final there should be an outcry!

18. Sheena

I think she was unlucky in the Snatch Game- she was pretty much on a level with Manila in terms of performance, but her look won her over...

SDF likes this.
  19. VoR

Back on Season 8, what I really came to appreciate about Naomi was her openness to critique and working on her weak spots, which let's face it, are performance based.

She's clearly come on leaps and bounds since then and she's deservedly placed high throughout. My only problem is that she's still not particularly *naturally* funny in the way Trinity and Manilla are, or as oddball quirky as Valentina. It's like she started at a 6 and worked her way up to an 8, but she's competing with contestants whose baseline is an 8 and are capable of hitting a 10.

Fashion-wise she's right up there with the best of the best, of course.

Iguana likes this.
  20. Sheena

But her thing was the look, she's a fashion queen. Oh- ok, I see you've just edited it to say the same. It's her talent and that's fair enough- it's impressive the way she's tried to become an all rounder- and as for "funny", I think she's done pretty well so far (Snatch Game, this week, for example...)

21. VoR

Oh totally. And you could argue that she's as worthy of a crown as past 'fashion queens' like Violet and Raja. She's certainly better at performing than the former.

And conversely, plenty of funny queens have won despite being mediocre to poor at runway (Jinkx, Bob etc.) She's definitely become a strong all-rounder, she just very rarely wows me the way some of the other queens have.

22. Sheena

I would always say Raja was an all-rounder, though. Though she painted herself (or the show did) as a fashion queen, she was far more talented than that. Violet, though, totally agreed.

Suedey likes this.
  23. lolly

I don't think as a fashion queen Naomi had the WOW factor Raja managed to pull off. And the fact that she was alongside Kim Chi in her season who did manage to pull off a lot of WTF looks probably also didn't help. And yes, I also think Raja was more of an all rounder.

Suedey likes this.
  24. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Missss Vaaaaaanjie

Yeah I never considered Naomi to be a contender either, so she's doing quite well if you ask me but I still don't see her in the top 3.

25. Dark Carnival

Oh Raja exudes SO MUCH more presence and star quality.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Suedey and Iguana like this.
  26. Suedey

Suedey Compulsive Liar

Raja was an ALL ROUNDER. Not just FASHUN honey but she ticked all the other boxes too.

Naomi is of course a beautiful FASHUN queen but I'm not convinced with anything else yet.

Manila is my winner for this saison so far for sure.

Alex likes this.
  27. Sheena

I don’t think anyone was denying that! Raja was an obvious winner...

28. KindaCool

KindaCool KayCee

Manila to win ALL THE WAY

Alex, Iguana, Zu-Klara and 1 other person like this.
  29. cwej

cwej User

Wow.

'Baby. This is not hard, I am the most respected, beloved queen in the game'.

Talk about destroy everything I thought of you in one line Latrice.I was really pleased she went after that - but was still shocked!

Absolutely deserved to be bottom 2 and deserved it the previous week over Valentina too. Didn't bring a decent performance in the entire four weeks, to the point that I felt like she wasn't even trying - so I was quite shocked by the histrionics when she was in the bottom 2 and her 'it is my destiny' to win this bullshit.

Totally the right top 2, but personally think Trinity should have been Latrice in the bottom 2.

I was also impressed by Naomi - much better than I thought she'd be able to do. That's 3 weeks out of 4 that Naomi has surpassed my expectations- maybe I should start showing her a little bit more respect. But she is very unmemorable compared to the other characters around her.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Zu-Klara likes this.
  30. lolly

31. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara OBESE DYKE

:D:disco:! Ru needs to fucking DO ONE

Dark Carnival likes this.
  32. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara OBESE DYKE

Who does Ru even think she IS (if this is true, which I bet it is)? What a PRIZE PRICK

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  33. Sheena

In fairness, that Instagram post is a pile of old bollocks. As if she was trying to "EMPOWER". She was trying to shock. I think it's fucking marvellous, personally, but still...

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Oh my Lord :D

Have to echo cwej with Latrice’s attitude. The level of entitlement? FAR TOO MUCH. It probably comes over as sticking the knife in, but aside from being a good personality, I’ve NEVER been particularly into her looks or her challenges in any season! I’m kind of happy that she couldn’t coast any further on that.

I’m hoping for a Trinity, Manila and Valentina top 3. Trinity is gunning for it, Valentina just expects it, and Manila surely is more deserving of the ‘legacy queen’ than Latrice.

I feel bad for Naomi though, she is thoroughly likeable and totally being slept on here. I hope she makes the top 4 song if they do one.

Monet is circling the drain, she’s not been anywhere near as likeable in the talking heads this time, i feel like she’s only ever putting people down (seriously or jokily), which is why I didn’t really like that raggedy podcast with Bob

Monique too, she’s either top or bottom, kind of chaotic. It’s funny but hammering the catchphrases is really not cute, America, facts are facts! Though I will concede that she had the only runway that really gagged me, even if it had to be brown cow stunning.

Iguana and Zu-Klara like this.
  35. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Omg the laughs I got were AFTER the show, watching the Pit Stop.

Kim Chi in that bear! Asian David Bowie :D

ameraal likes this.
  36. VoR

Kim Chi is fucking hilarious in that Pit Stop interview.

On fan reaction to Latrice's elimination.

"[GASP!] My Fantasy League!"

:D

ameraal likes this.
  37. Dark Carnival

:disco: x 1000

What a stupid decision not to let her wear that.

Zu-Klara likes this.
  38. Dark Carnival

Obviously she was going for the shock value of that look but I don't think it takes anything away from denouncing the hypocrisy of replacing blood with blue liquid as menstruation.

39. Suomi

Suomi Super Moderator

Loved the challenge - I laughed throughout

I've never been a Latrice fan and her true colours were shown in that episode. We had to pause the video after the 'I'm the most beloved queen' was said without a hint of irony. The scene with Manila and Latrice crying was ugly entitlement.

I actually think Monique has far more heart and respect her so much more for keeping the stronger competitor.

cwej, Zu-Klara and monsta like this.
  40. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Ugh I’m going to stay off Instagram until all seasons of Drag race are done. I knew it wasn’t safe until I’d watched this episode, but now I look on there and there’s immediately a massive spoiler and photos that weren’t from the ‘next week’ clip. WTF
    Even if it’s a fake spoiler I’ll just be thinking about that instead