Azealia Banks - 212 (and other stuff)

Discussion in 'Pop Toilet' started by Suomi, Sep 26, 2011.

?

c*nt?

1. 10

37.5%
  2. 9

25.0%
  3. 8

3.1%
  4. 7

3.1%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

6.3%
  7. 4

6.3%
  8. 3

3.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

15.6%
  1. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

Look who's BFFs all of a sudden :|

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/frankieboyle">@frankieboyle</a> LOL, this is such a white man jam. hahaha. it's cool!</p>&mdash; AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/552883053975334913">January 7, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>My album is absolutely amazing and nothing can compare. I'm extremely proud of myself</p>&mdash; AZEALIA BANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/571300116910317568">February 27, 2015</a></blockquote>

3. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

I even forgot this bitch had an album out

sorry Azealia, maybe next time try falling over the stage or something

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  4. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

5. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

#thegrowingracialtensioninamericaisthepromo

6. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

Wallace video going live soon. Oh sorry I mean the Wallace "webcam-driven interactive film" :eyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6Gu28S1S64A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

CHRIST THIS IS SHIT

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xGox2wVCLuw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

9. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

Well, he IS a repulsive human being.

10. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

OSCARS AHOY

11. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

In trouble again

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NpsdmV8BKzQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Why won't he give her her bag?

13. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Because she's a cunt.

14. Eileen

Eileen All the better to see you with, my dear.

This is old news but I heard her album for the first time yesterday. It's brilliant.

15. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Why on earth does anybody give this unrepentant homophobe the time of day?

16. Ryan

Ryan User

This is the most annoying thing about all of this - the album really is excellent.

17. Penelope

Penelope AND SHAVE OUR EYEBROWS

Problematic fave.

18. Beverley

I don't think she's a homophobe tbh.

19. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I can't remember being called a fucking faggot by any non-homophobe tbh.

20. Beverley

I'll call you a FAGGOT any day of the week, darling. :disco:

No, seriously. I think that she's an absolute idiot, but I don't think she's a homophobe. She's explained elsewhere the way she was brought up using this word 'faggot' against misogynists and that she uses it to refer to 'men who hate women'. Maybe that's a tenuous argument. But she's a member of the queer community (not that you can't be a queer homophobe) and I think intent and understanding of words is important.

21. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Queens can call me a FAGGOT until they're blue in the face. :disco:

But that's different.

22. VoR

So if I was to decide that my interpretation of the word 'nigger' was to describe rude and entitled cunts who hurl abuse at people trying to do their jobs in public spaces, I wouldn't be a racist if I called her one?

She knows what it means. She's utterly vile.

23. Penelope

The difference is that you aren't black, which gives it an entirely different dimension. As someone who's also queer (albeit not a member of the particular group within that that faggot tends to be aimed at), her using that word and the power implications involved makes it a little less straight-forward a thing of homophobia than had it been, for example, a straight woman calling a flight attendant that. She's an idiot, but I don't think she's a bigot.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  24. VoR

It just seems to me that she wants carte blanche to be as rude, vile and abusive as she wants to be without being judged for it because, what? She identifies as bi? It's the new "Some of my best friends are black".

There are ways to have meaningful conversations about mysoginy and what words mean, and then there's deliberately and aggressively using offensive words with the express intention of causing somebody pain or embarassment. She may not be on the picket lines with the Westboro Baptists, but she's a nasty piece of work any way you slice it.

25. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Typical fucking dyke.

26. dUb

dUb ORIGINAL

Azealia comes for Willam; gets it wrong

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/willambelli">@willambelli</a> well I'm sure you have no career outside of standing on float in drag during pride so just look at it as more opportunity for u</p>&mdash; AZEALIABANKS (@AZEALIABANKS) <a href="https://twitter.com/AZEALIABANKS/status/646661986130882560">September 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

27. Commotion

Commotion User

Oh she absolutely is a homophobe.

Yes she is bi, but in that clip she was using a homophobic term of abuse against a person (a male flight attendant) who is often stereotyped as a gay.
    If I call a friend of mine a faggot (which I don't) it would be in the context that we are both gay, that he understands that it is a joke and it won't be screamed out in public as we both understand how offensive it can be to other people.
    Her intent was to insult a gay man (presumably) by using a hateful homophobic expression.
    If your intent is hateful then it is homophobic and you can't use the 'oh but I'm bi' get out of jail for free card.

28. big ron

big ron MOD

Its up there with "I've got a UB40 album so I can't be racist"

29. Penelope

I'd say it's more akin to a mixed-race person using the n-word. There is *actually* a degree of being part of the group she's being deemed to be prejudiced against, it's not quite as shameless as 'my best friends are x'. Is it a get out of jail free card? Of course not. But I'd still judge it differently from a straight woman who did that and chucked out a 'loads of my friends are gay!' plea, or Eminem who played the whole 'I define faggot as a particular kind of man' card too.

30. Pipo

Pipo WEAR MY KISS

lol at that tweet. She clearly needs to think twice before opening her gob! (Or in this case, typing)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  31. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

She just needs to fuck the fuck off. She's absolutely vile.

32. Commotion

Commotion User

I'm never offended by words so much as by their intent. The word 'nigger' is the most offensive insult in the English language but depending on context it can be excused - be it in a rap song, or when Madonna calls Rocco the word - yes it remains an offensive word but in context the intent is not malicious. Some Klansman approaching a black person with a gun saying 'Look at the African American' is far more malign than 1 black kid calling his best friend a nigger (even if broader society is offended by the word).

Azealia seemed to have abusive intent in using 'faggot' therefore in my mind that makes it homophobic regardless of whether she is bi or not - she's not using it with her gay BFF. It's to belittle someone based on their perceived sexual orientation.

She's all over Twitter claiming that it is a racist consipiracy to silence a strong, black woman. And my reaction to that is 'Sorry dear, we've been here before, you KNOW that people find your use of that word as a term of abuse, offensive, so claiming you are being judged because of your race is incorrect, it simply shows that you lack intelligence and that you are homophobic - regardless of how many gay friends you claim to have.'

33. Penelope

If Azealia Banks was in charge of the world, are you really telling me you'd feel specifically threatened by that fact because you were gay?

34. ameraal

ameraal trash

here's an idea why don't we all stop being offended by words like faggot and nigger and cunt and move on? big fucking deal.

before that happens though can i just say she's a massive idiot cunt.

35. Commotion

Commotion User

No. But since when has racism or homophobia implied a threat.

A racist person does not need to be threatening violence to be a racist.
    Just as a homophobe doesn't need to be threatening violence to be a homophobe.

Her intent in using the word was to be hateful and demeaning - therefore it's homophobic - whereas if she were calling her best friend a faggot it wouldn't be.
    Words are meaningless if divorced from intent or context.

36. Penelope

Not even necessarily violence - do you feel you'd likely be sidelined as a person in a Azealia Banks controlled world? Considered lesser in an Azealia Banks world for being a gay man? Considered someone who'd have to hide themselves in any way in an Azealia Banks world? I don't think I would. That isn't something I'd say for anybody I'd consider a homophobe. She - disgustingly - uses homophobic language for shock and effect. I don't think that necessarily in itself makes her a homophobe.

37. Commotion

Commotion User

I get your point and I suppose not.

Likewise when that basketball club owner Donald Sterling used racist slurs (in a private conversation) his career shouldn't have been ended - after all no-one would have been directly threatened in aSterling controlled world either. Or the Seinfeld guy caught using the N word on stage. Neither of those guys actively caused harm to black people.

But that's a matter of double standards - rather than impact I suppose. Racist language is not tolerated or excused in the same manner as homophobic language seems to be.

Eminem wouldn't DREAM of using the N word - and he is not racist so theoretically it should be OK.

38. Penelope

Well, my post did kind of also add the other ways that people could end up not actively causing harm to a group while still harming them. Jeremy Clarkson is someone who would probably never cause active harm to someone of another race, but I have zero doubt that a Jeremy Clarkson run world would be one in which issues that affected ethnic minorities would just be ignored.

Eminem wouldn't dream of using the N word because he's fully aware of the power dynamics that would be going on by him using the N word. If he were mixed race, perhaps he would use that word. It's a separate issue - when have white gay men ever been systematically oppressed or systematically made to feel bad for being gay by bisexual women? Never. Hence faggot doesn't carry half the level of offence when Azealia Banks says it as it does when Eminem says it.

39. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Is she actually a proper bisexual or just one of those Jessie J wannabes who thinks having your best friend Michelle finger you at 13 makes you Rosie O'Donnell.

40. Penelope

Well, her most famous hit was about getting eaten out by a French girl.