Bananarama - In Stereo (NEW ALBUM)

Discussion in 'Music for Gayers' started by FetchFugly, Dec 15, 2018.

1. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I see that they've been doing Move in My Direction, Look on the Floor and Love, Truth and Honesty (:disco:) as well as the usual hits on their recent shows. The only new song they introduced was Dance Music, which already seems to have been dropped - I'm not surprised as I can't imagine it would exactly go off live.

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Only Bananarama could have a promo tour for a new album and not bother doing any of it :disco:

3. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

Looking at the Instagram pics and it’s good to see they’re packing the fans in at the gigs.

4. FetchFugly

Yes those pictures up today look great. I did read one of the earlier shows was moved to a smaller venue, with the writer speculating that the nostalgia market in town had been rather oversaturated.

I can't help but just want them to get these shows over and get back to the UK and on with the album build. I presume they will be doing a video, even if low budget. I just hope it is a little livelier than Love Don't Live Here.

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

Just noticed three items on the Record Day 2019 list. Drama and Viva both on double vinyl were known about, weren't they? But there's also something called 'Bananarama Remixed: Vol 1' on 12" listed.

6. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

7. FetchFugly

Hopefully they will make all the mixes properly available online at some point. Cruel Summer is only on there as a somewhat ropey sounding YouTube and Venus doesn't seem to be up at all.

8. FetchFugly

Counting down to something (again) this week, presumably the single release.

9. FetchFugly

WELL DONE YOU

10. Sheena

Yes, I confess I was wondering QUITE WHAT FOR :D

11. Sheena

It’s new remixes of old stuff. Not available elsewhere, so well worth it if you’re that way inclined.

I want them ALL! And the Shakespear’s Sister release. Why all on the same goddamn day though?!

12. FetchFugly

You do get the impression they make quite hard work out of doing these little videos.

13. FetchFugly

Stuff Like That then. I'm not in love with it to be honest. :(

I know it is only first listen but it isn't a good sign when a chorus seems to GO ON A BIT

14. FetchFugly

15. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

So a video was made for Stuff Like That. The song I think is fine if not amazing and perfectly in sync with what duo Bananarama do.

16. FetchFugly

After repeated loon up plays, the song is fine(ish). I'd say it is their worst single since Exotica though, more solid album track quality. On the good side, it is catchy, definitely sounds like a Bananarama song and I imagine Radio 2 will happily give it plenty of playlist support. They'll be able to sell a fun telly performance when the opportunity arises too.

Now for the negative nancy pick apart. I think that chorus needs something more, especially come the second go round - I know there are the bridge parts layered over the last chorus but it still doesn't completely do it for me. The song is reminiscent of I Can't Help It, especially the reunion live version, and can't help but suffer by comparison. I don't come to Bananarama for lyrical depth but it feels a bit all over the place and 'you whisper sweet nothings I long to hear, I want you near' is not 'boys say (THEY SAY) I'm good enough to eat (MANGER). In terms of more recent Nana disco digs I think Don't Step On My Groove might be better and that is probably mid to lower tier on Drama (though I am sure I read that was considered for single release at one point). I do wonder if Stuff Like That was the original plan for first single - it isn't like them to tuck the single away towards the end of an album.

ANYWAY I still have faith there will be better on the album. I have Love In Stereo down as a 10/10 for starters.

The video is fine for what it is. They both look great, no point in spending big even if there are a few shots where you wonder if they didn't have something better. Keren in particular looks like she is enjoying herself though, and the Dallin frug never fails to amuse me.

17. Shirley

Shirley YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

I don't think they (or ANYONE) is going to reach that kind of PEAK again ALAS

18. FetchFugly

TOO TRUE

19. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Stuff Like That is pretty solid. Me likes.

20. Sheena

Whilst I SEMI agree, they came MIGHTILY CLOSE with:

"It's been seven days, since my last confession.
    And I really don't know where to begin..."

...as an opening line.

21. Sheena

I still haven't listened to the new single. I should get around to it.

22. FetchFugly

Very true. I think 'Kiss me now, don't let me go, make me feel like Marilyn Monroe' was about as good as Viva got.

Oh do get on the new single, interested to hear your thoughts.

23. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

I like if not love both tracks released so far with a slight preference for Dance Music. However Stuff Like That would slot pretty well into the Please Yourself era Bananarama. It’s very duo them. I think the album is going to be a solid effort.

24. FetchFugly

Songs you've never heard live before. :disco:

25. FetchFugly

I know they have given it the odd play but it feels a bit concerning that Radio 2 haven't properly playlisted Stuff Like That yet. They were all over the Kim Wilde singles last year weren't they?

26. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

We need to all write in to demand it be played. What’s the postal address?

As for Kim, well, i think all of the bigger heritage acts get one more chance of a day or two in the sun and that was just Kim’s time, Bananarama’s was probably the trio tour (hope I’m wrong). Plus Kim had a topic to discuss, the aliens.

Bananarama need to come up with a storyline. Maybe they could say George Michael visits them on a Saturday night for their kitchen discos.

27. FetchFugly

Yes I guess Kim had been away for a long time in UK terms (and she had some very good singles with that album). A duorama comeback must be a bit AGAIN? to casuals, especially after the Siobhan reunion but I just assumed Radio 2 would pick it up after having the first play. Still, they may still playlist it and realistically it will be pretty much the same fanbase that buy the album either way.

28. BoysForSeles

BoysForSeles User

When you mention the casual fan there I find that most people I know who know Bananarama songs still think they’re a trio even though it’s been a duo the bulk of the time.

29. FetchFugly

I like to imagine Sara dictating to her daughter those 'been a duo FOR YEARS/ temporary reunion' Twitter responses. I'm sure I saw one which said been a duo since '88 though. OOPS. :D

30. Sheena

In a world where “amazingly not gay” Ken Bruce still occasionally plays “Love Don’t Live Here”, anything short of the A-List for a new Nanas single is nothing short of a disaster in my eyes...

31. FetchFugly

Snubbed by Radio 2 again this week. Have they got time to rush out another song to radio before the album to see if it is more to their liking?