Batman: Arkham Knight

Discussion in 'Gaming & Tech' started by Phoenix, Mar 4, 2014.

1. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lNVESuZvjQo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Announced today on next gen consoles sometime in 2014. Rocksteady back so it should be better than Origin.

Might be the thing that pushes me into buying a PS4, all three games are great.

2. Slave

Slave User

It's all been downhill since Arkham Asylum for me - I can completely see what they were trying to do with Arkham City and I know many people think it improves on the first game, but I loved that sense of claustrophobia that was running through the whole environment of Arkham Asylum. It was hard to translate that across to a city.

3. Samuel

Samuel User

This is bound to be great. Nice to see Rocksteady back the helm, too. I'm also yet to buy a PS4, I was initially holding out for the new Metal Gear Solid, but as it's just a glorified demo, I'm going to hold out a little longer (probably for Watch Dogs).

4. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Finally! I wholly agree. Everyone praised the sequel but for me it was a huge step in the wrong direction. Completely lost interest and didn't even bother with the third one.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

Release date June 2nd on PS4 and Xbox 1.

6. Slave

Slave User

Did anyone get this?

I haven't played it yet, but I note the reviews have been middling at best.

7. Mats

Mats User

I bought Dying Light instead, might play it sometime after summer. I haven't played the other games but I'm guessing that's not necessary

8. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

This is awesome, it's been taking over my life for the last three days. The story is quite good and all the side missions are pretty cool.

The driving bits are bit of a pain to get into but once I got hold of the mechanics the game improved greatly. This is easily the best game series on the Playstation (if you ignore the fun but inferior Origins).

9. Mats

Mats User

I was torn between this and Dying Light and since I haven't played the previous games I went with the latter. it's on the list though

10. Mats

Mats User

I already said that didn't I. anyway Dying Light is great but too scary, I can't do the night missions :shy:

11. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

I can't do scary games anymore, I'm too old for jump scares.

12. Slave

Slave User

I thought I'd give this a go tonight and I think it's just dreadful.

Arkham Asylum was so TIGHT and accurate gameplay wise. I've spent about 30 minutes with this and the controls are just all over the place - the Batmobile in particular moves like its wheels are made of jelly and the road is made of ice. Also, I totally get that they've evacuated Gotham, but it seems like a total cop out to remove all civilian characters and just replace them with an endless source of enemies that will attack you.

There again, I wasn't all that keen on Arkham City, and this is essentially more of the same. It's been progressively (and rapidly) downhill since Arkham Asylum, which at this point feels more like a fluke than ever.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

You need to give it more than thirty minutes, I also hated the batmobile in the beginning but you get used to it. But then again if you hated Arkham City, I doubt you will like this. For me nothing beats gliding all over the city looking for missions.

14. Slave

Slave User

I got quite far in Arkham City, but I think I gave up when I realised I was just playing waiting to feel the same spark I had with Arkham Asylum and it just wasn't going to happen.

The Arkham series (even including Origins) is still, pretty much by default, the best superhero game series that exists - but for a game that was very forward thinking in its first entry, I think I just expected a bit more of it by now. The Batmobile was an obvious addition to the game, but not in the way they've done it (transforming into a tank?!) and I just miss the claustrophobia that was present in Arkham Asylum and the feeling that you pretty much owned the territory because it was all enclosed. The open city environment loses that and without the ability to mix the missions up a bit (because the whole city is just populated by enemies), I find it all a bit bleak.

I quite liked one of the Spiderman games, where the side-quests involved a mixture of helping civilians and apprehending criminals (or both). It would have been nice to see a bit of "normal" Gotham as opposed to the constantly evacuated one.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

Well this is a very different game tonally from Spider-Man 2 (if I'm not wrong) where you deliver pizzas. Here the missions are a mixture of apprehending villains and defusing bombs and solving serial murders.

I mean if there's one criticism then it's the game is just so fucking dark.

16. Pronoia

Pronoia baby baby don't go

Good call. I had a blast with Dying Light. Apparently they're adding some free new content to it soon, too. CARS :disco:

17. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

New game announced and it looks good