Battle of the Seasons Live 2015

Discussion in 'RuPaul's Drag Race' started by Doodvid, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Anyone else going?

I justified the ticket purchase/price dilemma due to the fact that I'm unlikely to go away on holiday this year and that I'm a non-scene hermit so haven't had the opportunity to see any of the stars of the show paraded up and down the provincial gay hotspot nightclubs of central England. Despite reservations about these kinda things rarely translating from one medium to another, the issue that I'll be stone-cold sober as I'm designated driver (and not drinking at the moment) and, of course, that its asking a lot of anyone to stir up more than a half-hearted murmur of appreciation for poor old Ivy Winters, I'm actually fairly 'pumped' for this. Particularly looking forwards to seeing Adore and Alaska in action.

I'm going to the Manchester show, Sunday evening.

2. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Out of interest, how much were the tickets? I've looked on the site but they won't show the price as it's sold out

3. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Approx £100 (with booking costs on top) :zombie:

4. Marilyn

Marilyn User

Holy. shit. Although I guess it is a lot of queens.

The only queen I've ever seen in a club is Ru, it's not really my thing, but I think I would go to this... if I won tickets or something

5. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Who's coming to your show?

6. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Alaska, Sharon Needles, Adore Delano, Manilla Luzon, Jinkx Monsoon, Ivy Winters, Pandora Boxx, and Michelle of course. Bianca del Rio is hosting the after party but work beckons the next day sadly.

I realise this is a total rip off.

7. JillTyrell

JillTyrell Deep inside I am profoundly lonely.

I kind of know the guy who's organised the Manchester show and you'd think he'd found a way to bring Jade Goody back from the dead they way he's been going on about it. He's a hateful cunt at the best of times, but now that he's managed to secure all the RPDR queens for AXM Manchester he really thinks he made it. All of his Facebook statuses revolve around the fact he's heard people bitching about him 'because they're jealous'.

8. COB

COB Can't go incognito

What is it about the people who organise these things?

9. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Now *that* would be a Death Becomes Her runway look I'd like to have seen.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Oh you must stay for Bianca if you've paid that much.

11. Doodvid

Doodvid User

I didn't pay ENOUGH for Bianca! Plus, all those tickets sold out straight off the bat.

12. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Obviously the live experience is different but I do feel I have seen half of this tour via YouTube clips. Although they HAVE been trying new Snatch Game characters recently... except Sharon who clings onto Joan Rivers. Which can be quite funny, to be fair...

Anyway, I don't need to pay for this now i've seen Alaska host an award show for rent boys for a cool fifteen dollars. :disco:

13. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

This is a rip off! The tour also visits Reykjavik and Amsterdam and they cost about £30 there. They're totally FLEECING the UK queens. Even if this was in Glasgow I wouldn't pay £100 to see them.

14. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

Probably cheaper to FLY TO AMSTERDAM and pay £30 than travel to Manchester and pay £100.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Kavana's going to be there - Michelle's Whastapping him apparently. There goes 75% of the WKD stock then.

16. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Just got back driving from Manchester to Birmingham having watched the live show...I loved it! Probably not £100 worth of love, granted, but was fabulous to see the stars of the show (and Pandora Boxx) up close and doing their stuff so well.

Poor Pandora. For a so-called comedy queen she bombed out in pretty much all of the comedy especially during the mini Snatch Game as a piss poor Bubble from Ab Fab. Her competition was Alaska as Laganja, Jinkx as Liza and Sharon as Joan Rivers so she was in for a hard time anyway, but all of her jokes landed flat, nobody laughed and Michelle had to over-laugh and explain the punchlines out of pity/desperation. Having enjoyed her a lot on Season 2, I was disappointed to see how clunky she seemed compared to the quality of the other queens - I get the sense they don't really like her either - and although she did redeem herself with a fun Hermione Granger routine it was too little too late.

Ivy Winters was a pleasant surprise - she did a great performance of Little Mix's 'Wings' on stilts with her butterfly costume. Was great.

A personal highlight was Manilla's full 'MacArthur Park' routine with Jinkx and Alaska as backing dancers complete with Delta's dowdy t shirt costume from the same sing-off.

Alaska was amazing and held together a lot of the show. A fantastic performer to watch. Adore was energetic and full-on punk crazy but looked no better than the wannabe drag queen fag hags in the cheap blue wigs queuing outside the venue. Sharon was aloof and intense, but I loved her Angelica Houston/Witches reveal. Jinkx looked like Geri Halliwell (the tubby ginger version) but unlike our Geru, has an amazing live voice and interacted brilliantly with Alaska. Michelle Visage singing 'You Know That I'm No Good' and 'Losing My Mind' were nice surprises. Oh and Bianca turned up at the end, but didn't speak because she was being paid for the after-show party so just made lots of big facial expressions and smiled a lot.

The warm up drag queens were a dodgy bunch, my favourite being the Pink tribute act who tired very quickly, unintentionally had half a 'boob' hanging out for most of the time and was half a second behind all of the other dancers in the later routines. Unsurprisingly this came in handy for when she portrayed the Michelle Williams role in a Destiny's Child number.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  17. Marilyn

Marilyn User

I feel like the concept of warm up queens at a show which already has 7 or so queens is just TOO MANY QUEENS.

I'm glad you had a good time! For that price I'd want a quick fuck with Alaska's brother included but it sounds like it was good enough

18. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Thanks to my positioning next to two seemingly mild-mannered guys who immediately started squealing and flailing about (in between groping one another inappropriately) the moment a piece of music started up, screamed along word for word to every clip projected onto the big screens and constantly called 'YES MAMA' at everything the queens said, the worry that my RPDR obsession was getting too much was satisfyingly put into context. Knock wood, I'm totally normal.

19. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Oh yes, it was definitely overkill, especially as it just highlighted how amateur they seemed in comparison to the professionals (other than Pandora :( ) and the supposedly sexy male dancers should've been reported under the trade descriptions act.

I'd go again for other queens, like Latrice, Willam, Alyssa, Juju etc.

20. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Oh god. I've got to be up for work in 5 hours.

21. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

Did you get any pics or tAlk to the queens? It sounds fun.

22. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I don't understand why Logo gives Pandora so much work. Her episode recaps are fucking dire.

23. Phoenix

Phoenix L to the OG

I don't where I've heard/read this but I believe World of Wonder dislikes Pandora while Logo like her which is why she gets work through them.

24. Doodvid

Doodvid User

I got pictures of the performances (the venue was pretty decent meaning I was relatively close to the stage) but due to the show finishing around half 11 and the 90 minute drive home/work in the morning, hanging around for anything afterwards was a no-go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. straightorbroken

straightorbroken from the sound of sirens

Sharon's witches unmasking must have been unreal in person, I almost don't want to look on YouTube (if it's there) in case it doesn't live up to expectation.

I feel bad for Pandora, I don't watch these multiple series' to know whether she really has got shit or not.

26. Doodvid

Doodvid User

Are you going sorb?