Beyoncé - The Mrs Carter Show

Discussion in 'Divas' started by Jonfessions, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

She's also smart enough to sack off Superpower, which is fabulous on record but a total piss-break during the show

2. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

Why does she insist Why Don't You Love Me in EVERY TOUR

It's a fuck awful song

3. Loufoque

It's a fan fave.

4. Pipo

fans are idiots (sometimes)

5. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Yeah

Plus you can't top that video so don't bother!

6. dixielandings

dixielandings User

Tonight she ditched if i were a boy for run the world which opened the show! To be honest I'm glad she did, ghost / haunted was perfect in itself but run the world can't be beat as an opener

I have to say it was the best concert I have ever been to! It says it all when she can choose to ignore so many hits and yet command the attention of all with such ease!

7. funky

funky INCAPABLE

Can we have a set list please?

Did she did still do Haunted albeit elsewhere if she opened with Girls RTW?

8. dixielandings

dixielandings User

It was almost identical in content, if I were a boy out and run the world back in

Run the world
    Flawless
    Yonce
    Get Me Bodied
    Baby Boy
    Diva
    Naughty Girl
    Ghosts
    Haunted
    Drunk in love
    Blow
    Partition
    Why Don't You Love Me
    1+1
    Irreplacable
    Love on Top
    Crazy In Love
    Single Ladies

I will always love you / heaven
    Xo
    Halo

9. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

From WDYLM sounds too good, wow.

10. Mats

Mats User

oldie but goodie!

11. Loufoque

I hope she drops Pretty Hurts at some point

Are you HAPPY with YOURSELF?
    Are you HAPPY with YOURSELF?

*everyone feels terrible about themselves*

12. Loufoque

Has anyone else been practising?

[​IMG]

13. Satan

Satan Likes his boys insane

Oh, I like that. Must get tickets for the final show of the tour!

14. funky

funky INCAPABLE

seriously though how much of a dark horse/grower is Pretty Hurts? :o

I think it's because it's the only song on the album that has a classic power soul sound. The vocal histrionics on the last 17 choruses are something else...

15. Loufoque

I love PH so much. I thought it was a bit whitebread to begin with, but it's just SO WELL DONE.

16. ameraal

ameraal trash

wdylm is the tits!

i wonder if her nose starts twitching when she does ph

17. ameraal

ameraal trash

gosh that setlist does look great. agreed about naughty girl and baby boy - i'd rather have some check on me and sugamama instead. and obviously end of time.

18. Loufoque

Living for the DrIL remix. I could do without the "impregnated your mouth" line from Kanye, but otherwise it's fab.

19. Loufoque

Also I just realised that DrIL has never been on the Radio 1 playlist? WTF?!

20. Suedey

Suedey PROUD MADAME X FAN

It's MY SOUL it's MYS OUL
    That NEEDS SURGERY

:(

21. Loufoque

Suede I know I'm not the only one practising giving serious pageant face these days

Me when I start a presentation at work these days

[​IMG]

22. Suedey

Suedey PROUD MADAME X FAN

"Pretty Hurts" was my initial favourite and yes it's one of my main go-to songs when I PERF (sorry, I mean PLAY :disco: ) the album.. along of course with "Haunted", "XO", "Drunk in Love", "Blow... YOU GET THE PICTURE.

23. Euphoria

Euphoria User

XO was the official single so Radio 1 went with that. It was dropped a few weeks ago when presumably it wasn't looking likely to have more chart success.

24. graves

graves User

Oh God. Really tempted to buy some over inflated tickets.

25. Loufoque

I'm in need of a little of this this morning

26. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I completely forgot I'm seeing this on Sunday :o

27. funky

funky INCAPABLE

let me just go change and I'll get right on it for you

28. Pipo

I could do with Countdown instead of WDYLM :evil:

29. Loufoque

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K6iTZkeGKaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

30. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I'm avoiding this thread until after tonight, but has anyone already been and know what time this HOT SHIT finishes?

I'm trying to work out train times and BORING DREARY SHIT THAT JUST WON'T MATTER ONCE I'VE SOILED MYSELF TO "PARTITION" AT 9:47 THIS EVENING, but I can't find anything anywhere...

31. Crash

Crash Thank You

I can only say from Glasgow's show - she was due on at 9 and finish at 11 but she didn't come on till 9.30 and finished at 11.30

32. Sheena

She'd better not be fucking late tonight...

Full 2 hours then. Hmmm...

33. Sheena

Ok so I went tonight and CONTROVERSIAL OPINION, MOOPY, I was underwhelmed. Let me explain:

She herself is fantastic- a phenomenal performer, so much energy, charisma, voice, just brilliant brilliant brilliant. But the setlist was terrible. The problem was that anything the "general" crowd knew was cut in half- so "Naughty Girl', "Single Ladies", "Baby Boy" were all truncated, mostly to just one verse and a chorus, and, entirely inexplicably, even "Crazy In Love". Which started, missed out the "oh oh, oh oh" bit and then stopped after the first chorus. I mean, WHAT THE LIVING FUCK? There were also too many crowd singalongs, which meant she only sang a verse of "Irreplaceable", the rest was done by the crowd, and she hardly opened her mouth for "Run The World (Girls)" either, which was just backing singers and microphone held to the crowd.

I also felt the whole thing felt really stop-start. She costume changed after the first song, which is surely the point you start to whip the crowd into a frenzy rather than popping off whilst we watch a lyric video about feminism, and that set the course for most of the evening- never more than 2 songs without her vanishing off the stage for 5 minutes, which really interrupted the flow for me.

I'd love to comment on the closing numbers, but sadly I didn't get to see them as "Miss Carter" decided to turn up half an hour late and we had to go or miss our last train. Fucking inexcusable and still riling me now as I HATE leaving concerts early (then, I guess, who doesn't). Did she cut all the songs at other gigs or was this a timing thing? We left the O2 about 22:45 and she only had three songs to go (and let's face it, "Halo" was probably just a COUPLE OF SENTENCES FROM THE AD LIBS ANYWAY), so it wouldn't have hit the 2 hours everyone else was saying.

Having said that, "Haunted" was astonishing, "Blow" fantastic, "Drunk In Love" with Jay Z (and yes, why not bring him out again for CIL and ACTUALLY PERFORM THE FUCKING SONG) made everyone go off and OH MY ACTUAL LIVING FUCK, "Partition" was properly LIFECHANGING live. It's just all THROB and her on that CHAISE LONGUE. I've already tried having a bash at the choreo since I've got in, but it's not the same on a beanbag :(

Still, overall, having been more excited for this gig than any other in years, I am entirely let down.

6/10

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  34. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I'm expecting the singalong and I'm expecting the song editing. She's obviously trying to preserve her voice and there are subtle ways to do that live - whether she's getting the balance right is of course another question. She seems to be taking the Prince route of extending her set list and shortening the songs rather than swapping lots of stuff out... It means more chance of everyone getting to hear their fave, but yes one quick verse of a major classic is a bit weird.

The worst part there is missing the encore/finale, which usually is the crowd pleaser and often rights any previous wrongs... Obvs not your fault but I feel that you probably would have been less bothered by the niggles if you'd caught the whole thing.

35. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

i feel you shee. will get back in a fortnight because i got a ticket where i could see the encore and all without any extra tickets/hotel rooms etc.

but seriously, i do understand the agony and frustration of missing out the last 20 minutes. that's gotta suck.

36. Loufoque

I think it's been clear for a good few years now that she's really not interested in wheeling out the same old songs again and again - and where she does, it's usually for snippets. Bootylicious is the most obvious example of this - she admits to not liking it much, and has never performed more than 30 seconds of it in the last decade, but includes it on the setlist because it is arguably amongst the ten biggest crowd-pleasers she has in her back catalogue.

This is another problem I have with the way tickets are allocated - the concerts are designed for the super-fan, but are predominantly attended by the casual fan. Not saying this is true in Sheena's case, but I can imagine the average hen thinking she'd love a Beyoncé concert, imagining it to be an hour-and-a-half of Crazy In Love, Single Ladies, Halo, Love On Top, Bootylicious, Survivor, etc. when really it's more likely to be chock-full of a bunch of ballads from 4 and some of the more "challenging" stuff from BEYONCÉ.

The more I think about it, the more I realise she is at the same stage in her career that Madonna was around Ray of Light. 15 years in, first baby, arty new album. And increasingly less interested with going through the motions every night (DWT anyone?).

37. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

I don't know why but this just made me laugh.

38. Sheena

The DWT is a good comparison but then OUR MARGE had quite a few megahits from the 2 albums she plundered for the setlist. Yoncé really has "Best Thing I Never Had" (Which she didn't do) and "Drunk In Love" so far. I'm not a Beyoncé loon by any means, but I do have all the albums and am quite happy to hear album tracks rather than a Greatest Hits set, but playing those hits and then editing them just made them become frustrating rather than the joyous moments they should be. Another Madonna comparison is last year's MDNA Tour, on which she didn't do ANY old stuff "straight" bar "Like A Prayer", for which the crowd went mental for the only time at the gig I was at.

The first setlist of the tour, before the revamp, shows that she's quite happy trundling out the hits- personally I don't understand the logic of leaving in fluff like "Diva" whilst removing "If I Were A Boy", for example, but ok, up to her and her artistic vision. But when a setlist is "only" 21 songs long (in other words, perfectly average for a concert), play the whole of "Crazy In Love" rather than spending 10 minutes stop-starting "Why Don't You Love Me", which nobody actually finds THAT thrilling ANYWAY...

39. Loufoque

Run The World and Love On Top are well-enough known though, no? I think it's always been clear she hated Best Thing and released it at the record company's behest...

40. Sheena

LOT went down well but you're clutching at straws if you think RTW was a big crowd pleaser. It works well enough as an opener, yeah, but it should have then been followed by a big hit and the place would have gone off. Rather than leaving the stage for 5 minutes then launching into an album track...