Bodyguard (BBC1)

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by Ag, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Ag

Ag Just tax the stupid people. And let them die

I'm a little AGOG that no-one on Moopy has mentioned Bodyguard.

2. Rita

Rita User

Again I am watching, but am episodes behind. :(

3. Ag

DRIPPING @ Richard Madden.

Raining On Me and Rita like this.
  4. Rita

Rita User

I hear ya. He is beautiful.

5. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I've never quite got over this

[​IMG]

FetchFugly likes this.
  6. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I was going to start a thread after episode four, but forgot then the last one wasn't quite so showstopping and it is nearly over now anyway. It has been quite gripping from the get go though.

There has certainly been plenty of discussion elsewhere. Keeley Hawes channelling Amber Rudd, Richard Madden's apparently gratuitous arse, the contentious issue of broadcast spoilers in a non-linear televisual world...

7. Ag

I have HIGH expectations for the last episode. It looks GREAT.

8. Whatevar

Whatevar SAVE MY SOUL

I’m enjoying it but it’s all rather silly and not a patch on Channel 4’s No Offence.

wendy the goat likes this.
  9. FetchFugly

Now there was a big shocker last week. It is great but a very different programme.

10. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

They are two entirely different shows?

SDF, Finn and monsta like this.
  11. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

It is good, I'm only 2 in and I'm not sure where its going yet. I've had to stop saying 'that wouldn't happen' because ITS NOT REAL.

12. Rita

Rita User

I have still to see the last 2 episodes but I can’t seem to get away from it today. Spoilers all over the place.

13. FetchFugly

10.4 million rating for the finale last night: the biggest BBC drama in ten years and the highest for any drama since Downtown series 2.

The series started with 6.7 million so it definitely benefited from word of mouth and plenty of TV hype. I guess people were keen to tune in live to avoid those pesky spoilers too.

I thought the finale was good rather than amazing. I'm not sure the extra 15 minutes were completely necessary and the better episodes were probably earlier in the series.

14. Ag

Yes it was really quite good. I assume they added the extra 15 mins from the cutting room floor after it proved such a smash. Unnecessary as little was added in terms of plot, but you'd have done the same.

The BBC have really been on top of their drama game the last few years.

15. dUb

dUb GTFO

Haven’t they had a number of high profile flops lately?

16. Ag

I dunno, I only watch the good ones.

17. Raining On Me

Raining On Me Jesus Loves Winners

I tried with Wanderlust because of Toni Collette and it wasn't much which is neither here nor there, but it's probably one of their biggest ever flops. Two days after Bodyguard..

I need to catch up on this. I suspect disappointment because of how massive it's been but I'll try to go in unassuming. And, Richard Madden..

18. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

I didn't think much of this to be honest. It started off well, but I lost interest.

19. Ag

Dr Foster, Line of Duty, Killing Eve and Happy Valley all spring to mind as decent ones. Mind you I'm a sucker for a crime/ police drama. There are so many around these days...

Rita likes this.
  20. Rita

Rita User

All of these programmes have been British drama at its absolute best. I think we are head and shoulders above America in producing a good, gritty drama you can sink your teeth in to.

21. Rita

Rita User

I have just watched the last 2 episodes tonight, and must say the person who writes this and Line of Duty is an absolute GENIUS.

22. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I haven't watched it but there are some Muslamics complaining about Islamophobia and the usual stereotypes about Muslim women. True/false?

23. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

I'd say they have a bit of a point.

24. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

25. Ag

I don't think it was especially Islamaphobic. I mean that was the story. Jihadist terrorism is real. Maybe they should have got a black asexual man to be the terrorist?!

26. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

Spoiler alert but the female Muslim character turns out to be exploiting said stereotype to her gain, so I don't really agree with that.

SDF likes this.
  27. SDF

SDF The Wait is Over

Yes, I agree with this. Although painting muslim women to be the terrorists isnt exactly what our @Beverley wants :D / :(

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  28. Beverley

:rolleyes: for Ag

For lolly, yes, I did see the article and I'm quite interested in watching what has gripped the nation.

And ron, I guess people are pissed that the show sort of relies on two well-worn tropes - the fragile Muslim woman revealing the Muslim terrorist, as my lovely SDF alluded to.

SDF likes this.
  29. Ag

REALLY?

Should they have told a different story, when that WAS the story? Would you have preferred her to be victim or mastermind. Should we ban all dramatisations of Islamic terrorism?

30. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

As well worn as the male ex-soldier battling with PTSD but refusing to get help. I'd say they are both fairly reasonable characters based on recent topical subjects. Just needed a sprinkle of dirty Russian espionage and we'd have had the full house.

31. dUb

dUb GTFO

It's just a shame that there's very little representation of Islamic ANYTHING ELSE

Whatevar, Beverley and SDF like this.
  32. Beverley

Precisely. No need for the hysteria, Ag, but if you're going to have this conversation with me, you might do well to verse yourself on the level of Islamophobia in everyday life and the media, and the bleak representations of Muslim people aside from the aforementioned tropes.

I haven't seen the show (and I do intend to watch it, at some point), but it exists in this context. And if my whitebread, Mrs Beverley thinks there's a problem with the show, *whispers* I think there might be a problem with the show.

33. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

While I agree its quite an easy/lazy character to roll out, I'm curious if this is part of wider islamophobia?

It's just latching onto recent memory/current events, and while it's not a positive representation of Muslims does it really fan any flames? The next one will no doubt be about those sneaky Russians, but I can understand that as someone of that demographic I'd be rolling my eyes a fair bit.

34. Mugatu

Mugatu Administrator

It's pretty incredible that a sitting MP was murdered by a far right-wing terrorist for direct political reasons less than three years ago and there is still next-to-no wider cultural impact from that.

The BBC is ran by decorous, "both sides" liberals that are terrified of pissing off Middle England and the D*ily Mail and until that changes, the scary men have to all be brown, those are the rules.

Beverley likes this.
  35. Beverley

Yas bitch, Mu.

Ron, I'm reluctant to be like, yes, 'Bodyguard is Islamophobia, media stereotypes equal Islamophobia', but there are under-explored consequences of such representations, especially when there are no others, and that is the dehumanisation of Muslims and, as Mugatu says, the coding of brown bodies as either victims of oppression or a danger to Western societies. And that's before we even talk about the impact on Muslims themselves, growing up and seeing themselves on screen in only those forms. It's really shit.

dUb likes this.
  36. big ron

big ron We Are All Jark

Valid point, especially the last one.