Boys (Co-Ed Remix) depreciation thread

Discussion in 'Britney Spears' started by Slave, Mar 14, 2018.

?

Get Nasty or just plain NASTY?

1. 10

10.0%
  2. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 8

10.0%
  4. 7

20.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

10.0%
  7. 4

10.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

20.0%
  11. 0

20.0%
  1. Slave

Slave User

I was listening to the 'Britney' album the other day and the original 'Boys' came on.

Why, oh WHY did they release such a LAME remix as the single? I watched the video and can't think of ANYTHING I like about it - it's so forced and utterly JOYLESS. Pharrell couldn't look more "CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATION" if he tried, the Austin Powers cameo is NAFF, it's clearly supposed to be stylish and arty but it's just loads of RANDOM CRAP (the table scene with the zebras walking around?!) and "GET NASTY" was never going to be a THING no matter how many times they copied and pasted it into the song (Pharrell's chorus where she grinds against him at the bar saying it OVER AND OVER is about as VAPID as she's ever looked - and that includes during 'Gimme More' at the VMA's).

Obviously it was always going to be seen as a 'Slave 4 U' knock-off but at least the album version has the lovely "Tonight, let's fly, boy have NO FEAR..." section. There are few singles I loathe more than this in her back-catalogue. Even 'I Love Rock N Roll' sort of WORKS in the context she's using it these days, straddled atop a gigantic electric guitar.

Suomi likes this.
  2. Pipo

Pipo extra large & extra hard

At this point the album didn't have a big US hit so I think they lost every hope and just decided to go with whatever could salvage the campaign (but they were hardly grasping at straws). This screamed US STRATEGY all around considering everything you mentioned: Hot producers The Neptunes, a more "urban" version of the song to guarantee more airplay on Urban, Hip Hop radio stations, the Austin Powers cross-selling campaign, glossy video, etc.

In the end it didn't even chart in the Billboard 100 :square: :)unlike the UK where it reached Top 10 but at that point they were lapping up EVERYTHING she shat out.

3. OutSynk

OutSynk My name is Matilda.

The only thing that annoys me is during the dance break whenever there's a close up of a stomach it's never Britney's.

4. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

Fucking rubbish.

5. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

She looks like such trash in that screen cap.

6. Slave

Slave User

On reflection, the campaign really was a complete MESS after the first three singles (and lest we forget that ABHORRENT 'Overprotected' remix released in America :manson:). It's ironic really that they PANICKED when 'Slave 4 U' was a relative FLOP in America, yet it's easily amongst her most enduring and recognisable hits these days.

I do think that a lot of the tracks on the album are good songs but not great potential singles. Nonetheless, I wish they'd released 'Anticipating' (outside of France) instead of this dross.

7. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara RIP MADONA

Real dank tat. One of several from Greatest Hits: My Prerogative which have never made it to my iTunes

8. Slave

Slave User

She looks completely GORMLESS, but that's the majority of the video so it's fitting at least.

9. Devil

Devil I Need A House

The problem in America was airplay - she was blacklisted by radio due to not using the Clear Channel for her tour. So she went from being a pop radio top ten sure bet to only one of the four US singles making just pop top 20 airplay.

They should’ve accepted that and concentrated on giving the rest of the world a few different singles that were far better than this painfully average track.

10. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

The remix is definitely a watered down "Slave" but I don't mind it.I just get the sense that the label had no idea what to do with her at this point. The lead single was such a bold statement for her at the time, but everything that came after seemed so haphazard. Even the moments that kind of worked ("Overprotected") were thwarted by bizarre remixes. I wouldn't have minded "Lonely" as a single instead of this.

11. Pipo

God I forgot all about the Darkchild remix of Overprotected (which is a good thing)

12. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

The video was great; it gave birth to the iconic/influential Slumber Party music video (receipts), but nothing could make up for that horrible tonightletsfly-less remix. What bothered me the most about it was that they went with this mess instead of Cinderella or Before The Goodbye...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  13. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

So important you just had to post it in BOLD.

14. Slave

Slave User

‘Cinderella’ remains the track on ‘Britney’ that I just don’t GET. All the elements are there of a classic MAX TRACK, I don’t dislike it whatsoever, but it’s just sort of THERE.

15. supermassive

supermassive User

I Run Away should have been a single.

16. Pipo

SACRILEGE.

I bet you prefer either That's Where You Take Me or What It's Like To Be Me over Cinderella

17. Slave

Slave User

‘That’s Where You Take Me’ is ABSOLUTELY one of my favourites :D

18. J-Snow

J-Snow I'm ms. EXTRA, EXTRA.

It was by mistake but yes. :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  19. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

I forgot all about "Cinderella" it's a bit been there done that for her at that point but how can you turn it away?

I'm running away
    I made up my mind now
    You're GONNA. HAVE TO. LET ME GOOOOOOOOO OOHOOOHHHHH AHHHHH
    *autotune explodes*

20. Slave

Slave User

I think ‘Cinderella’ sounds like it would be more at home on the ‘Oops!...’ album and that’s where it falls a bit flat for me.

For the most part, ‘Britney’ WAS a progression in sound, despite the fact that at times it was with some trepidation. I’d even say that ‘Overprotected’ had a bit more OOMPH than the soundalike songs that came before it.

21. Suomi

Suomi User

What does this mean exactly?

22. Slave

Slave User

Clear Channel own(ed) the majority of the big radio stations that contributed to the charts. They sponsored her first few tours and she got good airplay in return. I guess it was mutually beneficial - they raise her profile, more people attend her tour, more publicity/money for CC.

For the third album, Jive opted for a different tour sponsor and thus Clear Channel dropped Britney from their playlists.

I guess they are the equivalent of something like the BBC or Heart - get playlisted by them and your song immediately goes nationwide. Fail to do so and you have to hit a lot more stations to get the equivalent audience.

Suomi likes this.
  23. Devil

Devil I Need A House

Correct.

Plus with radio making up 97 to 98% of the Billboard Hot 100 between 2002-2005 (due to singles no longer being released and prior to digital being added to the chart) it meant if you didn't get big airplay your single peaks could not ever be any good either.

Things like TRL were still huge, so she got tonnes of video play and could therefore still sell millions of albums with no hit singles but if you look at her US chart peaks the 2001-2002 period is atrocious, even though by rights some of the songs were very, very well known and in all other aspects 'hits'.

24. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I actually quite like it :D

It's no "Before the Goodbye", but then, loves, WHAT IS? :disco:

25. Slave

Slave User

Admittedly I have had it in my head since I started this bloody thread. The catchy little instrumental hook is acceptable enough at a PUSH.

26. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

Indeed, this is why you have singles like "From the Bottom of My Broken Heart" out-peaking "I'm a Slave 4 U' by quite some margin.

27. Sheena

Is this STRICTLY true, though? She never really did that well on airplay ANYWAY, did she? Didn't she have middling peaks for most of her supposedly "big" singles other than "Baby...One More Time"?

28. Slave

Slave User

She was a huge airplay artist. Almost all of her early singles achieved their chart peak exclusively on radio airplay alone - Jive didn’t release many physical singles in order to drive sales towards the albums.

Christina on the other hand had much more consistent early chart peaks because all of her singles were released physically. But the album sold less as a result.

29. Devil

Devil I Need A House

To be fair by the end of the second album she wasn’t the absolute airplay giant she was the first 6 or so singles. But the fact that she could sell five million albums in 2001 of the third set; yet aside from Slave couldn’t place one track in the top 50 airplay for one week was ridiculous - especially as her pop peers had no issues doing so.

Thankfully she had Toxic to save the day for the next one.

30. Pipo

Christina won the Grammy though :disco:

31. Pipo

I CLEARLY remember it was Lucky when the wheels started to come off.
    Don't get me wrong, "Stronger" Was a big TRL hit and charted well on music channels (also MuchMusic during that time) and on many pop radio stations but the fact it was released as a physical single in the States (The first one to do so from the Oops era) along with remixes and a B-Side was very telling, they needed to get another big hit after Oops was huge.
    By the time Don't Let Me Be The Last To Know was released it failed to chart on any Billboard list completely.

32. Sheena

Weren’t MOST people not releasing physical singles then?

Don’t get me wrong- the fact she sold bucketloads of albums was what made her the massive artist and is, in some ways, far more important and impressive than being a singles only artist...

33. Devil

Devil I Need A House

It was around this time that physicals stopped. You would still use them for a good chart peak (such as Aguilera, or Stronger as Pipo pointed out) but it was very much a case of albums being the major market.

It’s a shame as if Crazy had a full physical release, and Slave, Sometimes, Lucky even - all would’ve been easy top five hits - Stronger still did 40k in a week as they were dying out and after the album was on about 6 million thus allowing it to boom from around 40 to #11.

However, her album sales would’ve been compromised which is were the money is.