Brexit Negotiations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jun 23, 2017.

1. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

There's a second referendum vote due to happen today, the first time it's been formally voted on in the house.

But Labour are whipping their members to abstain, so it's going to fail.

The reason given is that the timing isn't right yet. They want the article 50 extension confirmed first and May's deal completely dead in the water.

Frustrating, but let's see how it plays out. I still have zero faith that isn't Corbyn going to torpedo any chance of it happening with his fucking prevaricating.

2. Iguana

Iguana Iguana come over?

The second referendum vote was voted down 334 to 85.

3. Slave

Slave User

So essentially the voices calling for a second referendum were louder than the number actually willing to stake their political credibility on backing it?

4. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

Edit: wrong.

5. Slave

Slave User

I guess we’ll be seeing Theresa May’s deal back for another vote then?

6. VoR

That's just Hilary Benn's amendment to force an indicative vote in parliament to establish MP's preferred option for Brexit. Not the vote on delaying at all, which is very likely to pass.

7. VoR

Extension passes 412-210.

210 absolute nutcases in our government. Terrifying.

8. jivafox

So now they have to actually ask for an extension which might get vetoed anyway? :D

9. Slave

Slave User

It’s a risk asking the EU if they want to spend ANOTHER three months with Theresa May on their doorstep every week.

I bet they’ve been waiting to slam the door in her face for MONTHS.

10. Slave

Slave User

“Hey, we don’t love you anymore and we’d like a divorce. But after two years we still can’t work out what we want to take, so will you stay married to us for another three months until we work it out?”

11. VoR

Despite Farage's best efforts, it's very unlikely that the EU would decline the extension.

If they do, chances are there'd be an emergency third vote on May's deal and it'd either pass or we'd be utterly screwed.

12. Slave

Slave User

What might happen if the delay went beyond June (we’d be looking at years?)

There’s a part of me that wonders whether people would just lose interest in the whole thing. Or is it going to lead to parties like UKIP surging again?

13. Mugatu

Mugatu Fired 4 Truth

UKIP without Nigel Farage are completely useless, they're full of proper, full-on far-right lunatics and even worse, Pewdiepie fans.

14. Ag

Ag User

Make it stop.

Now.

15. octophone

octophone a wonderful wooden reason

Insanity.

I can't believe there are 210 MPs who, whether they say they want it or not, effectively voted for No Deal.

16. octophone

I hear you. So fucked off with the House Of Commons. We really have seen behind the curtain - we have a Parliament stuffed with selfish, corrupt fuckwits and it's a disgrace.

17. Slave

Slave User

This.

I mean, I know the vote is actually about Brexit. But I feel really quite disillusioned by politics right now (as it seems many do) and that's not because of Brexit, but because of everything being seen quite so explictly. I have no doubt that such fuckwittery happens on a weekly basis across the spectrum of topics. But it's never been exposed in quite such a revealing way and I'm not sure if things can ever go back to the status quo.

And it probably doesn't help that we're stuck with a frustratingly SHIT prime minister who wouldn't be in power under any other cirumstance than she's the sacrificial lamb for the Tories to implement Brexit and no-one else in any of the parties wants to do the job, despite repeatedly shouting that they could do it better.

18. Ag

Ag User

I actually hope the EU refuses them. I want to go on holiday in early July.

19. octophone

I agree completely - it's the total lack of principle, the complete disregard for constituents and, crucially, the absolute refusal of the noisiest advocates to actually step up and deliver.

This has to effect an era of change.

20. Slave

Slave User

Once the palaver is done (however it pans out), we're due a soft reset surely? May will go anyway, but I think Corbyn needs to as well. Once a line has been drawn underneath Brexit, I don't think there is really a place on the other side for a lot of the key players involved.

21. jivafox

I want the EU to agree to an extension only on the grounds that there’s a general election. That would be funny.

22. Mugatu

Mugatu Fired 4 Truth

I'm not sure what else Labour could have done really, there's no majority for a second referendum in Parliament and they're not involved in the negotiations. They've paid attention to constituency voters in the most important places, that's why they're not a hardline Remain party.

Removing Corbyn because some of his speeches are repetitive feels like an over-reaction, but even if he goes then I don't think Corbynism is going anywhere.

23. Ag

Ag User

I can't see a line being drawn under this for a VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME. I expect to heading into my late 40s by the time, the Brexit begins to drop out of focus.

I really am quite tired of Jeremy Corbyn as an individual. Repetitive is the LEAST of his many issues. I'd happily keep the policies.

24. Mugatu

Mugatu Fired 4 Truth

That's fair enough, I just picked something from the last couple of pages. I realise his leadership style isn't for everyone, but I don't think the way he's handled the Brexit process should feature too highly on the list of reasons to replace him with John McDonnell.

25. Slave

Slave User

I just think both May and Corbyn will forever be associated with this - regardless of what they do next politically.

Tony Blair ended up being defined by the Iraq war and I don't wonder whether a few people think that in retrospect, the ties should have been cut a bit quicker in the proceeding years than they actually were.

26. Mugatu

Mugatu Fired 4 Truth

It's difficult to tell until this endless, tedious process is over but I personally wouldn't change leader based on how they might look in ten years' time.

Blair vs Corbyn (ah, the two genders) is really overdone but being opposition leader during Brexit isn't doing war crimes. It's crazy that we're at a point where the two things are being equated. I'll probably remember him for reinvigorating the left wing of Labour, regardless of what happens next.

27. cwej

cwej User

All I'm seeing on the timeline of my hometown on Facebook is anger at the fact that MPs HAVEN'T gone for No Deal. I am bewildered by how after ALL THIS, they STILL are so blinkered as to think that No Deal would be a good choice. So, I have to say as much as I'm also fed up with politicians, I do think they're going to be slated by 48% or 52% of the population whatever they vote.

ButterTart likes this.
  28. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Judging you in Google Translate

May's deal is like Freddy Kruger, no matter how many times its killed off, it keeps coming back, killing more people in its way. If it doesn't get voted through this time, it will be voted on again and again until enough people are so sick of it that they just vote for it. And she'll see this as a massive success and the pinnacle of her career.

29. Ag

Ag User

Anyone going on the March to Leave? Looks like they need the numbers.

SDF likes this.
  30. ButterTart

ButterTart Welcome to die

This utter SHAMBLES has been so satisfying to follow. The will of the people, indeed...

31. Slave

Slave User

Corbyn threatening another attempt to table a motion of no-confidence when Theresa May’s deal gets voted down again.

Another waste of time, then.

32. COB

COB Hog Frenzy

33. Shirley

Shirley YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS

'MEANINGFUL' VOTE 3 BERCOWED!

ORRRRRRDERRRRRRRRRRRRRR

34. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

It’s weird hearing it several times

OOOORRRDDEErrrrr

orreDDEEEEERRRRRRR

35. cwej

cwej User

I am astonished by what Bercow did today. For a man that claims 'independence' and 'objectivity', he couldn't really do anything more to stop Brexit happening :D

ButterTart likes this.
  36. Mats

Mats User

I don’t see it as being subjective, just REASONABLE. I know, I know, it’s a trait UK politics has been lacking for a while now so it’s not instantly noticeable...

37. Mats

Mats User

allowing a new vote on the same old deal that previously got bunked with 149 nays wouldn’t exactly be construed as objective either :D

38. big ron

big ron User

JOHN BERCOW QOL PLEASE

39. jivafox

Apparently she’s going to try and shove a 3rd vote through regardless :D She fucking would as well.

40. VoR

While I do think he made an objectively reasonable ruling, I am worried that he’s just fed into the narrative that Brexit is being ‘stolen’.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 10:18 AM