Brexit Negotiations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jun 23, 2017.

1. big ron

big ron MOD

As long as it puts more pressure on and shows up the tories for being shits, I'm all for it.

2. Shirley

Shirley BIG-HEARTED BUNNY

LYING to the QUEENIE!

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

3. Ag

Ag User

I think the dream now is to see him led out of Downing Street in handcuffs into a police car. Actually fuck that. Into the back of a riot van.

4. wurst

wurst User

WHO KNOWS what happens now! Laura K seems to be suggesting that even if Supreme Court rule in favour of Boris next week that the Scottish Court finding it unlawful in itself is serious enough - the Queen should be able to trust her Prime Minister.

She ALSO suggests that Number 10's new campaign will be People VS Parliament AND judges now :D WHEN WILL THIS END!

5. Ag

Ag User

Time to chop his fucking head off.

I say time, he hasn't been PM for 2 months yet!

Yvonne Mondle likes this.
  6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

This is BIG. Normally, lying to the Queen would be a resignation offence, even if done inadvertently, but obviously these are not normal times.

Downing Street coming out with it being a "remainer" pact was predictable and then immediately slapped down by, er, Downing Street about 10 minutes later. To be a fly on THOSE walls right now :D

Lord only knows where we go from here if the Scottish issues the order it said it would stating that the proroguement was illegally obtained, this would presumably stand in advance of the Supreme Court decision on Tuesday. The pressure on them will be immense - I bet we get the full set of them ruling on Tuesday.

dUb likes this.
  7. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

He had a ropey enough start but it's only been two weeks to the day since Rees Mogg's trip to Balmoral and it all went tits up. Current Greatest Hits:

- Losing first 5 Commons votes in succession
    - Losing majority live on TV
    - Kicking 21 senior Tories and ex-Cabinet Ministers out of the party
    - Brother resigning from cabinet
    - Proroguement declared illegal
    - Lying to the Queen
    - Failing to secure election

And that's before we get to the disastrous PMQs, the walkabout disaster in Yorkshire, the police federation complaining about his politicising of police, attempting to use gov.uk for electioneering...

Still, at least Nigel Farage is offering a poisoned chalice for a deal so it's not all bad :eyes:

Ellie, Yvonne Mondle, jivafox and 2 others like this.
  8. Ag

Ag User

Do we know what his stated reasons were for extended prorogation? Do we know what they said to the Queen? I know they've been obliged to release all the documents including texts, whatsapp, emails etc regarding their decision to suspend Parliament.

9. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Officially it was because they wanted to have a new Queen's speech as it had been the longest parliament for 90-odd years. However, that didn't explain why it had to be the length it was which is why most people immediately dismissed that reason.

Added to that is the fact that it's supposed to be a Cabinet-level decision and the documents they already have show that it had already been agreed two weeks before Cabinet actually were informed (not consulted) in a conference call when Rees Mogg was already halfway to Balmoral.

10. Ag

Ag User

11. big ron

big ron MOD

The fuck is Tom Watson playing at? Just as the tories are at peak self implosion he's turning the focus onto Labour?!

12. wurst

wurst User

Thankfully I think this is burying Tom Watson. Second Referendum is the LAST thing Labour need to be blathering on about right now, it's so out of step with the thinking of the majority.

Beverley likes this.
  13. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

There's actually an increasing momentum towards a referendum with a version of May's deal vs Remain on the ballot, with anti No-Deal Tory rebels and pro-deal Labour MPs all warming to it as the only realistic way to break the deadlock. Watson's correct that there's much more chance of that happening than Labour winning a General Election anytime soon.

14. octophone

octophone fucking ADMIN, bitches

I've had time for Tom Watson until recently but his naked ambition is bordering on the grotesque. Ron's right, the Tories are in the biggest mess imaginable, STFU and let them squabble themselves to death.

Beverley likes this.
  15. Ag

Ag User

Why is NIGEL FUCKING EVANS always on TV?

16. Shirley

Political correctness. Bloody gays

[​IMG]

17. Mats

Mats User

imagine if the Queen dies during this hot mess...

Diddy and Lucille like this.
  18. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

:D

The palace are in a RIGHT MESS now, along with Boris. Should the Queen have challenged the government over their reasons for prorogation? If she has no discretion to question or delay, what is the point? Who else can challenge the government on matters like this?

I can't see a General Election solving anything as it covers such a myriad of issues, not just Brexit. Look at the ridiculous claims after the local/Euro elections where each side was trying to claim victory in the numbers.

19. octophone

I've already said it - Phil is going to croak in October, you mark my words.

20. Ag

Ag User

The Queen WILL DIE during Brexit, because unless she lives until she's 150 then she has NO ESCAPE.

This SHIT has BARELY BEGUN. Can you imagine EITHER SIDE letting it all go once we either REMAIN or LEAVE? Several generations have to die before the bitterness and division of this fades away. There's a distinct difference between this and the last war, in that at least in the 1940s we had a COMMON ENEMY. This is a national split and will smash the UK into smithereens.

21. big ron

big ron MOD

So in a slack channel I'm in I've been speaking with a couple of fairly rational and on appearance intelligent leavers. Its a channel for freelancers and you can't survive that long in the game without some smarts.

One today admitted that they don't want no deal, don't want mays deal, and wouldn't vote in a second ref either.

WHAT THE FUCK DO THESE PEOPLE WANT?!

22. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I really hope the SC call prorogation out as unlawful. Getting Boris' resignation, as some people have already said he should, would be DELICIOUS in the short term, even if it fucked us over in the long.

Britain definitely has a battle for its soul. We've been fucked over by many things, including the nature of our constitutional democracy. It's pretty rotten inside and I can't even think of a leader who could successfully manage the gargantuan task of bringing us back together.

23. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

You need a new common enemy to unite you.

24. Ag

Ag User

Well I suspect we're about 7 years from a major international conflict. So that should do it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  25. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

Boris isn't resigning, whatever the Supreme Court say about prorogation. He'd need to lose the support of a significant proportion of the cabinet before he's even consider it, and most of them are bigger shitweasels than him.

Beverley likes this.
  26. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

IKR! sometimes i just gag over how impossible this shit is

27. Shirley

That Yellowhammer document...they really are just taking the piss :evil:

28. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

More importantly, what's happened to SUELLA?

29. Shirley

She was so SHIT that she couldn't even get a job in a government that has room for NADINE FUCKING DORRIES :D

30. Sheena

:D

31. Sheena

Is she still PREGNANT? Or did she decide that had to LEAVE as well...

32. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

They just Ctrl + H'd the base case No Deal scenario document.

33. octophone

Tory press have managed to restrain themselves from asking for war against Scotland and are leading with headlines about "olive branches" and the Yellowhammer document. The Mirror just going with "Boris lied to the Queen".

he;s denying it of course. But he's a liar so that'll be bullshit too. I wonder if even he knows what the truth is now.

34. big ron

big ron MOD

I see someones even leaked the redacted bit about fuel, job losses and no petrol.

Folk in this country might be able to cope without imported lettuce but they'll go to shit if they cant stick £20 in their focus.

35. octophone

Damn right they will. This is a country where people phoned the police because their local KFC was shut. And because we have idiots like Julia Hartley-Brewer telling Twitter that "oh, blackberries will cost a bit more, whoopee", they haven't twigged that this will hit them the hardest.

The same people who are fighting and rioting now are the same people who will kick off over the very shortages they're dismissing as "Project Fear".

Kate and jivafox like this.
  36. Sheena

And, in fairness, why SHOULDN'T they?

We're one of the world's supposedly major powers and we're wasting our time on THIS SHITE.

37. Sheena

And I'm sorry, but I'm KICKING THE FUCK OFF if Waitrose is suddenly out of PEA SHOOTS and I don't give TWO SHITS if people disagree.

38. Shirley

Well we coped during the WAR :zombie:

39. Indie

Indie Skeptopotamus

The redacted para 15 (from the original leak to the times)

Tariffs make UK petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability, but UK government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. This leads to big financial losses and the closure of two refineries (which are converted to import terminals) with about 2,000 direct job losses. Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions they directly supply. Government analysis of the impact of no-deal on refineries continues.

40. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

God, it’s all so exciting. At this rate, it will be a huge disappointment if we ended up having a deal.