Brexit Negotiations

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by Ag, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

Yes you can - that guy is an idiot and was probably saying that to do 'a funny' that has massively backfired on him.

2. ButterTart

ButterTart Egg Custard Tart

The point remains the same. He claims he didn’t vote for long queues at airports, when in fact he absolutely did. This queue was just a splendid bit of timing to ram the point home to Brexiters good and early.

3. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

There was a sniff a parody account when I scrolled through. He did say Ann Widdecombe aroused him.

4. octophone

octophone The Electrocutioner

It's not a parody account. He jumped to a conclusion and now looks a twat.

5. Indie

Indie Great Tits IN THE SNOW

Yeah, exactly. It's wrong to say, "you've got this because of Brexit", but it's right to say "you're a fucking idiot if you truly believe that we're now in a land of unicorns and free HP Sauce for all"

6. bypass

bypass User

Exactly, and as others have said....What we can deduce from this is that THIS would have been his reaction after December 31st(and no doubt the react of many of the other GAMMONS).

So the point still stands.

7. Ag

Ag BRING BACK TAGS

He doesn't appear to have acknowledged the response to his tweet. Maybe he has notifications off. He has 46,000 to long forward to.

8. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

This has dropped off the radar a bit lately - doubtless by design - but to the surprise of absolutely no-one, it seems we’re almost certainly heading for a no-deal outcome :zombie:

9. SDF

SDF We're all Angles in Chainz

Kill me with covid NOW

Lucille likes this.
  10. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I still think they're playing a game of chicken. They really think the EU will give in at the eleventh hour and are banking on getting last-minute concessions by blustering they're way out of the negotiations like they've got nothing to lose.

11. win_the_game

win_the_game User

Despite knowing it is likely to harm us all, no deal is the least the UK deserves.

octophone likes this.
  12. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

13. ButterTart

I hope no deal brutally fucks us over. I hope that the communities that voted for Brexit in the highest concentrations are the ones that are hardest hit (Sadly, that includes my own constituency). I hope people suffer because otherwise we'll learn nothing from it.

Ag, Mats and RaspberrySwirl like this.
  14. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I can't see either side blinking, though.

The EU have no reason to, and Prime Minister Cummings has long since cracked the code that accountability only matters so far as you're willing to subscribe to it. 99.95% of people who voted for Brexit think No Deal is what they want anyway, and when it all comes crashing down they can - and will - just blame immigrants/the EU/COVID for the fallout. :zombie:

Sad to say, the pain we'll experience from this as a country is only going to push the electorate further to the right.

15. ButterTart

In fairness, I've seen a lot of Brexiters saying they voted for a deal. No deal represents the absolute failure of the country to negotiate an agreement and demonstrates our weakness to the rest of the world.

16. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam Not Lana Del Rey

Totally. I reckon we'll get a lot of talk of UNELECTED BEAUROCRATS IN BRUSSELS PUNISHING US when all we wanted was LIBERTY!

And then if that doesn't work, they'll say the left is trying to ban Churchill the nodding dog and everyone will move on.

Soldi, ButterTart and VoR like this.
  17. Soldi

Soldi I DON’T NEED A HERO

Maybe I’m just an optimist, but when we end up with no deal and it all goes tits up, and people realise that they were fed lies in a campaign hijacked by the far right and no longer have a job and a much lower quality of life, would we not politely ask to rejoin?

ButterTart likes this.
  18. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

When we end up with no deal and it all goes tits up, it’s Covid’s fault. What a total gift.

Soldi and VoR like this.
  19. ButterTart

The cunt population of the country would be up in arms. As long as Rupert Murdoch wants us out of the EU, the media will continue to poison the country against it.

I've been reading about this legislation they're looking to push through to violate the withdrawal agreement. The great news is that it would violate the GFA and make us a pariah state with a track record of breaking international treaties at the precise moment we need the rest of the world to see us as a viable trading partner. The hits just keep on coming.

Soldi likes this.
  20. Mats

Mats User

can't wait to have you all gone and move on :)

Diddy, Soldi, win_the_game and 3 others like this.
  21. ButterTart

Imagine what it will be like for you to go back to normal without this expensive waste of time constantly hanging around your necks.

22. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival User

I’ve already moved on Matsy :)

23. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

Wasn't the whole Conservative manifesto at the last election based around Boris's OVEN READY withdrawal agreement? Which I note seems to have no been re-spun as Teresa May's agreement.

ButterTart likes this.
  24. ButterTart

And thanks to the catastrophic stupidity of the public, a lot of people are going to fall for whatever bullshit explanation for this the Tories spunk out.

25. octophone

This narrative that the EU are bullying the UK is especially harmful. The whole Tory Brexit "strategy" was based on exceptionalism, a delusion that Britain was somehow so powerful. so wonderful and so necessary that no-one could imagine any kind of suture without it. In actual fact, it was very very easy to imagine a future without a nation represented by moaning, entitled, tin-eared, sniveling, privileged in-breds who cannot comprehend the notion of mutual benefit, only of ruling, of Empire, of colonialism.
    So of course the press are going to spin this as the EU being the bad guys when, in fact, the Tories showed absolutely zero understanding of negotiation. Which is what you get when you have a government almost entirely comprised of people who are used to stamping their feet and holding their breath until they get what they want.

Alex and ButterTart like this.
  26. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

27. Peekaboo

Peekaboo User

I'm not 100% convinced that the disaster capitalism theory is actually true... I mean on the one hand I am sure they will try and do what they can to benefit themselves and their mates from the bonfire but I just think they are also well aware that a no-deal would wreck havoc in several other industries like car manufacturers and farming which surely they would like to keep onboard.

Unless they have somehow acquired the certainty that farmers will put "freedom" before profit - which I don't think so. I can imagine them convincing the thick-as-pigshit flag-waving bottom-of-the-chain morons, but those people are not farmers.

28. octophone

I know what you're saying @Peekaboo but I feel as if we have now established that turkeys actually will vote for Christmas as long as you make it a straight up binary choice between thanksgiving and Christmas, promise better conditions in the coop and tell them that the chickens are stealing all the feed and this is the only way to stop them.

Suomi, Ag, big ron and 5 others like this.
  29. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Let me wash your back for you.

With Brexit, it is just so hard to unpick what is part of a long term scheme, and what is opportunism. Especially with Johnson, he went into this expecting to lose the referendum and then capitalise on Euroscepticism to succeed Cameron as PM, and then likely not actually achieve much but just get the prestige of the office and let ministers and civil servants tick over austerity etc. Any issues he would blame on the EU and then he would just cling to the office as long as he could until a scandal stuck that ended his premiership.

And I find that opportunism scarier if anything, as with Trump, they're just making it up as they go along and trashing norms and safeguards along the way. Opportunism seems much harder to counter than if they had a long term plan that they were enacting, especially as the added incompetence and unintended consequence multiply the damage it does to us all, but especially the poor and vulnerable.

Ag and Christian like this.
  30. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Good point. With both Johnson and Trump, I think people have a desire to attach reason where no reason exists. To imagine that there must be some grand plan behind everything they do, because it's far scarier to accept that two opportunistic, out-of-their-depth idiots have the nuclear codes. They're both in situations they never really anticipated - Trump's whole election run in 2016 was just a publicity stunt for Trump TV, and as you say Johnson never expected that the EU referendum would actually pass.

31. ZenGiraffe

ZenGiraffe Let me wash your back for you.

What the fuck!?

Alex likes this.
  32. Alex

Alex User

They really think they can get away with anything. Each time I think they can’t surprise me anymore they then do something even more outrageous

33. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

Sometimes I can't believe what has happened over the last five years. But we should be very clear that the UK has ceased to be a reliable, responsible country. People talk about the damage Trump has done to the US, but at least it's always been very clear from the outset that 50+% of the US population is very much opposed to him, and much of the media too. In the UK, there have been multiple votes since the Brexit vote, and every time, this vile band of nationalist extremists gain more and more power and influence.

34. Loufoque

As much as I want to Boris personally decimated when the Tories turn on him, I don't want them to install the acceptable face of Brexit (Sunak) if it means they win another term. They need to be ripped out of power.

However, I don't see a non-Tory future, given that Labour can't get in without SNP support, which itself is contingent on a second independence referendum.

35. ButterTart

I've just written to my MP. He's a Tory so it will make no difference at all, but at least it feels like I'm DOING something.

36. David 5000

David 5000 I'll dance alone

Round of applause to the i newspaper who have come up with the headline "Brittania waives the rules".

Jark, Pingu, lolly and 2 others like this.
  37. ButterTart

They lost their majority in 2017, the local and EU elections returned a majority remain result and at the general election in December, 53% of the country voted for remain parties. It’s our shitty democracy that’s keeping them in power, they’re still very much the minority in the public opinion.

38. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Biden's team have come out and said if you fuck about with GFA then no trade deal. I wanted to starve over eating chlorinated chicken anyway.

39. Loufoque

I can't at the comments on articles about tearing up international agreements.

OUT MEANS OUT, WE KNEW WHAT WE WERE VOTING FOR, THEY JUST WANT ARE MONEY

Truly embarrassing.

40. Lucille

Lucille Sniffing in the VIP area

WHAT MONEY! WE'RE BROKE!!!