Bridget Jones' Diary

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by Mr Betty Draper, Jun 4, 2008.

?

Out of ten?

1. 10

11.5%
  2. 9

15.4%
  3. 8

7.7%
  4. 7

34.6%
  5. 6

7.7%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

7.7%
  8. 3

11.5%
  9. 2

3.8%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. What do we think?

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

Average

Kind of annoying that it's turned what was QUITE A GOOD BOOK into something quite IRRITATING and disregarded as "chick lit"...

3. Ag

Ag User

AWFUL

4. I do really think that it's a genuinely heartfelt comedic performance from Zellweger, very likable.

5. rural juror

rural juror User

Its good for what it is

6. David

David Misanthropic Old Bastard

A seven from me, I made a point of reading the book before watching the movie and couldn't help being a tad disappointed. Renee Zellweger was a good fit for the role though.

The second film however is probably a 4 or 5 though.

7. loomer

loomer User

S'alright innit. I hate chick flicks, but this was one of the best I saw. Haven't saw the sequel mind, meant to. Bonus point for PRIME Colin

8. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I'll have to rewatch because at the moment I'm to blinded by the sheer AWFULNESS of the sequel and Zellweger's further attempts at playing British in Mrs Potter.

9. WiDGe->

WiDGe-> 44f

Fun.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  10. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I think it's absolutely fine for what it is. I can understand totally why people would dislike it, particularly in retrospect now so much of it has become popular culture and has been rammed down our necks.

11. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I do really love the books. As Sheena said they get written off a bit now as the worst kind of chick lit, but they're really clever and funny. The first one much moreso, but even the second one is pretty good.

I remember in the film finding it quite bizarre and pointless that they transformed Gay Tom into a filthy rich ex-pop star. It's like the way Richard Curtis films always include one British character who is a lord or something for no apparent reason....

12. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I remember reading it as a column in The Independent way back in the day. It worked even better as that than in the subsequent novel.

13. ameraal

ameraal huzzah!

i watched this last night with a friend. maybe it was nostalgia talking (i realized that i have lived in a world before the term milf was coined and when the phone would ring and you wouldn't know who's calling and there wasn't facebook) but i loved it.

for the first time i thought it felt very british and renee is adorable. i loved every second of it.

14. Treacle

Treacle User

I vote 3 - which was for the Geri video and the fight scene ONLY.

15. Treacle

Treacle User

I often wonder if they had only done this movie say...now, who would they cast as Bridget? It wouldn't be an American. I just can't WARM to Renee.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  16. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Emily Blunt.

Renee was perfect though. I would have been quite happy had she won the Oscar over Halle Berry instead of for Cold Mountain.

I have an unashamed love of the film. I just wish Shelby Lynne's Killin' Kind had been given a UK release.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  17. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

One of the most gorgeous songs of all time. Such a shame she's so exclusively lo-fi these days, although she more than still has her moments in those settings, and her new album is a comin' the day of my birthday.

I enjoyed both Bridget Jones films, but would never go out of my way to watch either again. My Renee flick of choice would be Nurse Betty with its injections of Sunset Beach.

18. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

She peaked with Empire Records for me.