Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by Mr Betty Draper, Sep 23, 2005.

?

IT'S ALL WE'VE GOT

1. 10

8.8%
  2. 9

41.2%
  3. 8

11.8%
  4. 7

23.5%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

8.8%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2.9%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 0

2.9%
  1. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

Is Date Movie next on your list then? :D

2. Rachey

Rachey A little bit lesbian

:D Oh actually i did think that looked entertaining!

I saw Just Friends the other week....amusing.

I prefer to watch serious films on DVD tho, i get restless at the cinema usually.

Oh i saw a trailor for Posieden tho....im seeing THAT, only because i loved the original

3. Ellie

I'm the opposite. When I'm alone I can't watch serious films on DVD cos I get distracted and try to do something else while concentrating on the film, or I watch it in bed and fall asleep half way in.

Just Friends was brilliant :shy: Probably because now they're into flashing back to my school years :D

4. Rachey

I liked Just Like Heaven as well. I like the cheesy films.

I didnt like the bloke in Just Friends at ALL

5. spicebrain

spicebrain User

Just posting to agree with the assessment that Brokeback is a much, MUCH richer experience the second time arond. I was fortunate enough to see it again a couple of days ago. Whilst the film *got* to me emotionally the first time around, it didn't get to me THAT much until after the film had ended and I'd had some quick time to reflect. This time, I got all emotional after hearing the first twangs of the score during the opening credits. I spent much of the last half an hour with tears streaming down my face. :loser: Must be pointed out that I'm hardly one of these saps that cries at any old piece of crap though, this film genuinely moved me like very few others.

Also felt that I picked up on a couple of things I missed the first time, and generally understood the film a lot better. Really is worth seeing again for those who were slightly apathetic upon their first viewings.

6. Crash

Crash Thank You

I very much agree, it did strike a chord the first time but seeing it again made it so much better, you are able to pick up more subtle things you may have missed the first time. I came away from it the second time with a much deeper love for it than before. And as spicebrain said, as soon as the opening chords of the score opened on the film it did just hit me. The score is just pure brilliance.

7. Ellie

It should win for score and cinematography. Nout else.

8. Memoirs of a Geisha is on a par Cinematography wise me thinks. I think Heath and Jake both thoroughly deserve to win.

9. Rachey

Thats EXACTLY how i felt!

10. Ellie

And have you see ALL the other performances?

11. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

I'll watch it again on DVD, I think. I know I'll lose the impact of the scenery and cinematography, but then that was the only aspect of the film that did blow me away first time.

12. Rachey

Oh lolly i was exactly the same the first time round...you really should go see it again!

13. lolly

I know, but there are just plenty of other films I want to see at the cinema more. I will watch it again though, definitely.

14. Ellie

:evil: Capote Capote Capote :evil:

15. Rachey

I saw a trailor for capote and it didnt look to good :shy:

16. Ellie

It's FAR better than a couple of redneck gayers hamming it up in the woods :evil:

17. Rachey

:D how delicately put!!

18. I've not seen Good Night and good luck or A New World, all I was saying is that I think it's between memoirs and brokeback.

19. Ellie

The New World? That's only nominated for cinematography.

Brokeback is REALLY suffering with me right now. Everyone loved it just that little bit too much, it's getting annoying. I havent seen all the Supporting Actor nominated films, but from what I have I think Jake Gyllenhaal should get the Oscar, but Heath Ledger isn't even in the same league as Hoffman and Phoenix.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  20. Yeah, that's what I was talking about.

21. And funnily enough I think Geisha might beat Brokeback in Score too.

22. lolly

Is it playing multiplexes or arthouse near you?

It's at our main arthouse cinema which is central, but only at the multiplex which is furthest away from us. I was hoping it would be at the one just down the road :evil:

23. Ellie

I saw it at the NFT, but it's playing at one of my local Odeons too.

24. spicebrain

spicebrain User

Re: the Oscar race, I think Brokeback has cinematography sewn up tbh. Although I'm not wholly sure if it's deserving. I'll be seeing The New World tomorrow, and based on my previous Malick experience (The Thin Red Line) as well as the teasers/trailer I'm expecting something stunning. Visually, at least.

I do think Memoirs will probably take Score though, although I wonder if Williams will split his votes...?

Capote, GNAGL and Walk the Line haven't played anywhere near me yet. Living in the middle of nowhere sucks. But they're arriving soon, and when they do I'll finally be able to clear up a lot of my doubts.

25. rural juror

rural juror User

I have to concur with what people have been saying, I saw this again on wednesday and it was so much more powerful second time around. I spent the whole of the film on the verge of, if not actually, sobbing, the last half hour had a much greater impact on kme this time round but even points where little was happening I found myself moved by it... I;d agree the score has a lot to do with this aswell.

Definitely one of my favourite films, even more so now I've had the chance to reevaluate it.

26. Suedey

Suedey Run Away With Me

I saw it 3 times. :shy:

27. Raucous Bitch

Raucous Bitch Apparently, Winter is Coming

I must of been walking around with my head in the clouds as I only just realised that its about gay cowboys.

I watched Donnie Darko last night free from The Times and saw the trailer and postively shouted down the stairs to Nic to see if she knew.

She was like 'Erm, yes, how did you NOT KNOW?'

I am so defenitely going to see it now. Mmmm, Jake and Heath MANLOVE.

28. Rachey

Jake is GORGEOUS

29. Pele

Pele Dud Ex Machina

Philip Seymour Hoffman was OUTSTANDING as Capote, and thoroughly deserves his (likely) Oscar win for both an expemplary performance and being a consistently brilliant actor. Having said that, I do hope that Ledger swings it; he hasn't ever especially impressed me with any other performance, but he sold this one brilliantly.

Having seen all the nominated films, Brokeback is by far my favourite - I don't care if others concurred, overhyped it or hated it universally, other people's reviews, damning or rave, do not colour my own opinion - the cinematography, direction, writing, and picture Oscars belong to this movie. Gyllenhaal is also a more consistent actor than Ledger, and was just as good as him but in a role that required just slightly less subtlety, and he's certainly my pick out of the supporting actor nominees.

I'm also a long time admirer of Pheonix's work, he played Cash brilliantly, though he's definitely 3rd in my order of preference for Leading Actor. Reese Witherspoon is another longtime fave of mine, but her's was a solid yet not expemplary performance in Walk The Line, I much preferred Huffman in Transamerica.

Lead Actor

MY PICK - Heath ledger
    OSCAR PREDICTION - Philip Seymour Hoffman

Lead Actress

MY PICK - Felicity Huffman
    OSCAR PREDICTION - Reese Witherspoon

Supporting Actor

MY PICK - Jake Gyllenhaal
    OSCAR PREDICTION - George Clooney

Supporting Actress

MY PICK - Rachel Weisz / Catherine Keener (tied, loved both equally)
    OSCAR PREDICTION - Rachel Weisz

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  30. People really need to see Amy Adams in Junebug.

31. Pele

Pele Dud Ex Machina

Amy Adams is wonderful, she is the pick of a lot of critics - both the Lead Actor and Supporting Actress categories are entirely filled with worthy nominees this year, in my humble opinion (yes - EVEN Clooney was great in Syriana).

32. I agree, Best Supporting Actress is a WONDERFUL line up.

33. Silly Moo

Silly Moo Just ask Mo!

One of the old men at the pub I work in had this to say about the film, "it's not my kind of film, all those sheep aound him and he picks another fucking bloke" :D

34. Raucous Bitch

Raucous Bitch Apparently, Winter is Coming

I downloaded it and watched at the weekend. Not enough man love for me though!

35. Pipo

Pipo welcome to moopatica

I'm getting it today as an illegal bootleg amongst other Oscars favorites, I hate feeling left out! Crash, Geisha, what else am I missing?

36. Toyah

Toyah LOON PANTS

Nothing. They're ALL CRAP!

37. Pipo

Pipo welcome to moopatica

That's why i HATE going to the cinema, most movies are crap. :shy:

38. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

oh well done! :shock:

39. Matthew

Matthew I am not a sandwich

Brokeback Mountain was BORING. It didn't connect emotionally with me - it seemed like a forced emotion, very simplistic in spite of Ledger's "ooh I'mma punch you you god damn homo"-style outbursts.

40. Matthew

Matthew I am not a sandwich

Now, Walk The Line was fantastic!