Can't Speak French 2012 Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'Girls Aloud' started by VoR, Apr 16, 2012.

?

"...alors laisse la funky musique faire parles nos corps d'accord?"

1. 10

17.5%
  2. 09

15.0%
  3. 08

22.5%
  4. 07

10.0%
  5. 06

10.0%
  6. 05

2.5%
  7. 04

5.0%
  8. 03

5.0%
  9. 02

10.0%
  10. 01

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 00

2.5%
  1. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Y'know, it was a relatively minor single for them and not everyone was thrilled with the choice, but these days I think I Can't Speak French is one of my very favourite Girls Aloud songs.

It's once of those tracks that only they could have gotten away with releasing really.

Also, I am now incapable of discussing my linguistic abilities or lack thereof without crowbarring in some reference to how I "Let the funky music do the talking".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ERQKXBXH9gc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The French version was INSPIRED too (I have no idea whether or not they MANGLE IT, but I love the idea).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MZ5vbbY4QsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

The French version IS inspired, IS mangled, and that's ENTIRELY the point and what makes it so great.

I didn't think it was the best choice of single at the time, with stuff like "Close To Love" and "Girl Overboard", in particular, waiting in the wings, but with hindsight, it REALLY REALLY was. It's aged VERY WELL- I still hear it every now and then on the radio and in shops and stuff and it sounds VERY FRESH.

Anyhoo, I LOVE IT. It's one of their absolute best...

3. POP!

POP! Fade away, radiate

I rarely listen to it but it's really quite lovely, particularly Cheryl's middle eight

4. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

HATED IT for a long time, still think it doesn't go anywhere, but there's something about it that's quite evocative of an era of British pop music sadly left behind now and it is one of my more played tracks on the (patchy) Tangled Up album.

5. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Robotboy really doesn't like Girls Aloud very much, does he?

6. dUb

dUb IFFY

I can't let THAT pass without a :Oi:

7. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I think Tangled Up is a little overrated. I really hate I'm Falling, and a couple of others in the second half pass me by a bit.

But then I love Out of Control and lots of fans hate that one.

8. dUb

dUb IFFY

Well I think it's shit but we've been over THAT!

I didn't know about RB's GA hate(/ambivalence) :o

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. Sheena

I ENTIRELY agree with this ENTIRE POST, except for "hating" the quite ok "I'm Falling". "Tangled Up" is great as a pop album, but it's not their best album by a LONG LONG WAY, though it does contain their finest moment, of course...

10. Lockhart

Lockhart Valar Morghulis

It's never really done much for me, it's a pleasant enough song, but a little dull compared with quite a few other songs on the album.

11. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Not really. I do love some of their tracks but I can take or leave most of it. They're pretty much the only Xenomania songs I have any time for at all though.

12. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

For me if I ever liked/loved a Girls Aloud song it was in spite of, not because of them. They were just a vehicle for Xenomania to get some hot beats out there. I still don't think they look like anything more than five girls thrown together to make a group. Not much CHEMISTRY

13. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Hmmm. I don't particularly LIKE them as a group, but I do think something about them worked really well. I think they were more than just a vehicle for Xenomania TBH.

14. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

To be fair I was a pretty hardcore Sugababes (v.2/3) fan so I was never that open to GA anyway.

15. Devil

Devil I Need A House

The first two albums, yes (though the songs are so good it's hard to argue with them). But Chemistry onwards they truly came into their own as an actual group (ie: personality based) that I haven't seen in a girlband since the Spice Girls.

16. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

How anyone can accuse Girls Aloud of lacking personality/chemistry in an era when our most successful girl group is the fucking SATURDAYS is beyond me.

17. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

It was the perfect synergy when they formed, all the more surprising since they were chosen by the public.

If Javine had got in (like EVERYONE expected), they'd have been gone after single 2.

18. Rhythmbarbican

Rhythmbarbican User

For me, it was their best single for a good few years after a couple of dreadful singles choices (not including Call the Shots). A solid 8/10 record.

19. Sheena

Indeed. Let's face it, NONE of them (bar, arguably, Nadine) are AMAZING vocal talents but that's what makes them KIND OF LOVABLE in a way. It was all thrown together in such a shoddy, cheap way.

There can't have been many more successful Popstars/Idol style stars across the globe really, can there? Clarkson, Lewis, arguably Young...I can't think of anyone else AT ALL!

20. Slave

Slave User

I don't listen to 'Tangled Up' much these days, but I think there's something very cohesive about it where the whole "thing" just clicked into place. Their earlier albums arguably had better highlights but 'Tangled Up' was the moment where they really embraced what they were with confidence rather than shoehorning in a few dreary covers just in case. And for me the whole thing works really well, it's a little more sophisticated (not that that's a measure on QUALITY I should note) than some of 'Out Of Control' which sound like parody.

21. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

I like it but it is just not up there with their best

7/10

22. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I'm still waiting on Kimberly's solo follow-up I Can't Sing Either.

23. Suomi

Suomi User

I love EVERY SINGLE SONG Girls Aloud have done bar the covers and "Fix Me Up". Everything else falls on a scale between love and like

24. straightorbroken

straightorbroken reflected onto the wet pavement

I just hope they find the same form as Tangled Up and Biology. If it's more Out of Control stuff they'll have lost me.

One thing about this song is for sure, the video was one of their best.

25. Halli

Halli sippin' champagne from a paper cup

Yes I loved the video especially as it was the third single too - so original. I love how every GA single was an 'event single'

I seem to remember they did the Friday (or sunday?) Night Project to promote this.

I MISS THEM

26. Man in a Hamster Wheel

Man in a Hamster Wheel Mr Blue

[​IMG]

:(

Echoing most people's sentiments that there was better stuff left on the album but nothing that would have struck equally big with the public at large. Also one of their rare examples where the single mix was superior to the album version (much unlike the Out of Control singles).

27. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock wo ist der party?

What a MARDY single cover. :disco:

Zu-Klara likes this.
  28. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

Sorry but NOT EVERY GA single was an event. The singles from Chemistry CAME and WENT without making much impact at all.

29. Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony

Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony User

This is definitely one of my favourite GA singles, its been such a grower

30. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Not a favourite by any means but it did have no less than TWO sensational covers which gets it an extra point.

It took me a while to warm to their charms, but they certainly did/do have that in buckets as a unit. Individually... well, it's an embarrassment of riches and sheer awfulness :D

I do find it odd that liking a particular band would preclude liking another one.

31. Loufoque

Loufoque BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE

Oh Chrissy the internal struggle I had over The Spice Girls and Eternal!

32. graves

graves User

nahhh

33. Sweet Music

Sweet Music User

My fab GA track ever. I don't get the hate for it.

34. Euphoria

Euphoria User

Their worst single along with Sexy No No No. Even Walk This Way was better.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  35. KindaCool

KindaCool Kick Rocks. Eat dirt.

They're so hit and miss for me, and even when they're a hit it's nothing spectacular.

And God I can't stand the blonde one. Maybe if she had some average vocals I could ignore her pig-face but she annoys me even more than the one who looks like she's just stepped out of Geordie Shore.

36. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

The Nadine/Nicola blending on Je Ne Parle Pas Fran├žais is absolutely lovely and something I wish had been used more.

Otherwise a typically marvellous song from them.

37. Jacques

Jacques doing it for my lover

Except Sexy No No No is their BEST single and this is their worst with The Promise.

38. Sharla

Sharla The Resistance

Surely the award for worst Girls Aloud single has to go to the Dove advert song?

39. Euphoria

Euphoria User

The Promise is a bit like Love Machine - not one of their best by any stretch but one of their most fondly remembered in the eyes of the public.

I like it a lot myself, but more down to nostalgia.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  40. ameraal

ameraal la loi de murphy

i really didn't like the promise when it came out but i grew quite fond.

sexy no no no (insert random punctuation where necessary) is also probably my favourite ga song. i can't deny no way my d-d-dirty mind.