Caroline Flack f**king a 17 year old - IS IT OKAY?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs & Debate' started by VoR, Dec 6, 2011.

?

Caroline Flack and Harry Styles. IS THAT OKAY?

1. It's OKAY

66.7%
  2. It's NOT OKAY

33.3%
  1. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

I am calm; you're just being extremely exasperating.

Lets agree to disagree and you can judge me all you like for thinking it's a ridiculous set up if true.

2. cwej

cwej User

I'm only assuming your not calm because you said your blood is boiling.

We will have to agree to disagree, but I just think it's a bit sad that you are being so judgemental. I'm certainly not judging you at all - I loves ya anyway!! :p

3. cwej

cwej User

I think it's fascinating that it's created such ahuge debate on here actually - I really just assumed on a site like Moopy, it wouldn't even be a question and we'd all agree on it.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

I think it's sad and ridiculous that you are comparing me finding it a bit odd and slightly uncomfortable to past racism and homophobia in society. If that's not being hyper judgemental of me, then I don't know what is. I find it extremely offensive as well as ludicrous.

5. Beverley

Beverley I Don't Wanna Change A THI-ING

I find it quite interesting that Cwej seems to think that Mo and VoR are quite socially illiberal, when I would say that most of our society, even the liberal sections of it, would be uncomfortable with the kind of age-gap that exists between Caroline and Harry. Also, coming from a culture where big age-gaps are the norm, I think its pretty unfair to whack them over the head with a mallet for their opinions, when they are reflected in their society as a whole. Like VoR said, you can't compare the age issue to something like homophobia or xenophobia. There is no element of universality on this issue - and our societies have evolved in terms of the acceptance of varying age-gaps throughout the years.

Sucks to be Mo/VoR for not being from cultures where big age-gaps aren't the norm. :daf:

Suomi likes this.
  6. cwej

cwej User

Yes, most of our society would be uncomfortable with that age-gap. Those people are socially illiberal.

Just because the 'norm' in your society is one thing, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with something that is different to that norm. That's what being socially illiberal IS - being unaccepting of anything that is different from our own experience.

7. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

To be honest I am finding cwej to be a bit of a LIBERAL NAZI

'I'm HAPPY FOR THEM... I'd BE HAPPY for them... GOOD FOR THEM'

I'm not unhappy for them, I certainly don't wish any ill well on them (in fact I quite like both, espesh Caroline who is hot and has lovely hair), but no, I don't find the age gap comfortable and it's outrageous that I can't just state that without cwej coming down on me like a LIBERAL TONNE OF BRICKS

PS - I'm actually most likely very liberal ACTUALLY THANX

8. Beverley

Well thank GOD we have Cwej to ordain what is and is not socially liberal. And I would NOT describe social liberalism the way you did.

9. Lockhart

Lockhart Valar Morghulis

:D at the last couple of pages of this thread.

10. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

Here is a BASIC DEFINITION from Wiki for cwej:

Liberalism (from the Latin liberalis)[1] is the belief in the importance of liberty and equal rights.[2] Liberals espouse a wide array of views depending on their understanding of these principles, but generally, liberals support ideas such as constitutionalism, liberal democracy, free and fair elections, human rights, capitalism, and freedom of religion.

I reckon both myself and VoR subscribe to all of this. It doesn't mean were not entitled to an opinion; in fact that is surely a FUNDAMENTAL ELEMENT of LIBERAL THINKING

:rolleyes:

11. cwej

cwej User

Oh for Christ's sakes! Why does it have to come down to a personal attack on me at the end, rather than just a genuine debate about liberalism in the UK. I think it's an interesting debate - I don't care if you aren't AS LIBERAL as that, but I'm just surprised that you're not.

If you want to discuss what is and is not socially liberal I'm HAPPY to discuss it! That's the whole point - it's a DISCUSSION FORUM. But if you'd rather just make sarcastic jibes at me and NOT state your opinion on what social liberalism is, then go ahead.

I can't believe I'm the one that's being accused of not listening to other people's opinions here, when I'm the one trying to open the debate out and look at it from a wider context than just these 2 people, who we really do know fuck all about.

12. cwej

cwej User

Why are you 'rolling your eyes'. It's a discussion. I'm not prepared to continue discussing this, when it's now become a nasty Cwej-bashing tirade from you and Beverley.

I've NEVER once said you're not entitled to an opinion and if you can find me a time that you have then go the fuck ahead and find it for me.

13. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

No, you just said we're 'the same as STOP FUCKING HATE readers' and 'socially illiberal' (whatever that is) for stating a viewpoint.

14. cwej

cwej User

Yes. I stand by that - I said that STOP FUCKING HATE readers would have the same opinion on the Caroline and Harry relationship - do you not believe that STOP FUCKING HATE readers would have the same opinion? I didn't say that you ARE THE SAME as STOP FUCKING HATE readers - but that you would have the same opinion as most STOP FUCKING HATE readers on THIS ONE ISSUE.

15. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

It was INFERRED

16. cwej

cwej User

It absolutely was not.

If you've read between the lines and come up with 2+2=5 then that's your problem.

17. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

We would also have the same thoughts as lots of different people, so not sure why The STOP FUCKING HATE was brought up at all, apart from to suggest that we were being rancid and conservative about this issue.

I think you need to rethink your approach to debate and discussion, personally.

18. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Ironic.

I can attest to the fact that cwej is frustrating to argue with, but I would definitely say that your style is extremely similar.

19. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

Well, I would have to disagree...!

20. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Spot on!

21. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

UM...

NO

22. Madison

Madison Everything goes up by six

I don't like the way the word liberal has been bandied around in this thread just because some people are uncomfortable with a the idea of such an age gap involving a teenager.

Nearly every western society recognises that there are issues with older people sleeping with people who aren't fully fledged adults. Is there a society out there without an age of consent?

It's not illiberal to think an age of consent is a good idea - it's normal.

Now I know I'm meant to be the autistic one, but just because Parliament has chosen 16 as the age of consent to be a binary limit for when sex is legal or not, doesn't mean that I should automatically accept that particular number as the precise date it becomes morally acceptable/no longer okay to feel comfortable about it.

Different countries use different limits. Some don't even use simple limits (Canada?), they use a progressive rules that gradually expand the legal age gap as the child becomes a universally acceptable age limit.

In fact doesn't the UK have a higher age of consent for adults in a position of authority - sorry cwej, you might need to wait until your pupils are 18.

In the light of the above, someone is not especially conservative if they think its morally dubious for an 30 year old to sleep with a 17 year old. They have a slightly different setting to a universally acknowledged grey area. It's not particularly liberal hectoring them until they change their mind.

And can we please have an end to the 'you don't know the particular circumstances/mindsets so you shouldn't have an opinion'. It's not a trial, we're allowed to make assumptions for the sake of debate. What's the use of a forum otherwise.

Also, Harry is really ugly. She should be fucking Liam.

23. cwej

cwej User

Yes thank you Madison, I am aware of the safeguarding laws for teachers! It was supposed to be a light moment amongst the negativity.

24. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

Well THANK GOD someone MORE INTELLIGENT and WELL INFORMED came along to make my point, but BETTER :disco:

25. cwej

cwej User

He certainly did.

26. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

cwej, please don't be a 'LIBERAL' ARSE, yet again

27. cwej

cwej User

Which is why I asked the question: Would you have a different opinion if it was a 17 year old sexually experienced person with a 32 year old virgin? For the sake of DEBATE and DISCUSSION - I thought it was an interesting direction to take it and would make people think a bit.

Sadly, it just turned into an angry rant instead, from both sides.

28. cwej

cwej User

We ARE using that word LIBERALLY aren't we.

29. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

Sorry cwej, I can't debate anymore, I'm too busy AGREEING WITH READERS OF THE STOP FUCKING HATE WEBSITE

30. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I like the fact that there is a wide spectrum of opinion on this and a lot of healthy debate. That's what this forum is for.

I do not like being called a Small Minded STOP FUCKING HATE Reader though. I didn't call the people who don't find it weird PEADO ENABLERS.

31. cwej

cwej User

I wish I hadn't said that. Not because I don't think it, but because that's ended up being what this debate has turned into and up until then it had been more interesting and less personal - so I apologise for that.

32. Jark

Jark no gem too sultry

LOL at EVERYTHING that's been said on this page :D

33. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I doubt that Caroline likes being called a PAEDO, so I guess that most people in this thread could do with having a look at how this debate has panned out.

34. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

I think VoR was saying that he hasn't said that, which would be the equivalent.

35. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

36. wendy the goat

wendy the goat i like turtles

Question: would people object as much if she was being knobbed by Frankie Cocozza? He's only a year older.

37. Molicious

Molicious LANA DEL MO

INTERESTING

Yes, but for different reasons. In that I quite like Caroline so wouldn't want her catching any nasty STIS.

Or fleas.

38. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

a) I didn't. I said I think she's a bit weird/fucked up. I was very clear, to the point of being quite repetitious, that I didn't consider her behaviour to be morally or legally wrong.

b) Caroline Flack will never read this forum. I would be more measured if, say, lolly started a thread telling us he'd started dating a 17 year old and was interested in our opinion on the matter. Although my basic opinion would still be the same.

39. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

I'd still think it was a bit weird if she was fucking Frankie TBH (not to mention DISGUSTING). But obviously the older the youngest participant in an age-gap relationship gets, the less uncomfortable it becomes. Plus Frankie does look a lot older. But I don't really want to go around the houses with THAT debate again.

40. Beverley

I definitely wasn't intentionally making it personal cwej. I do think you are quite frustrating to argue with, because theres often very little middle ground, which is what I think this issue falls into. Surely theres a place/space for those who are consciously uncomfortable with this particular match, without being labelled narrow-minded and compared to STOP FUCKING HATE readers, which almost veer towards an extreme of sorts.

Thanks to Madison for his eloquence.

Suomi likes this.