casual

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by ameraal, Sep 4, 2016.

1. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

haven't been bothered about any new tv shows in ages but i just binged season 1 of this and really enjoyed it.

it's a pretty interesting, mature look at the changing relationship paradigm (romantic as well as familial) of modern days with a good soundtrack. main characters are a brother (cynical techie loner type) and sister (shrink, newly divorced mother of one semi-annoying teenager) who have a bit of a nice/fucked up relationship themselves. also starring frances conroy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/D_6McEhYedU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

the season was really well framed (opening and closing scenes). there are some bumps and i find some reactions a bit unrealistic but on the whole it's quietly smart without being in your face and it does what a lot of the hipster shows do without being wanky.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I watched the first season a while ago and I really enjoyed it. I think season 2 just ended on Hulu.

Michaela Watkins is an excellent actress and the brother is pretty hot. Daughter is annoying.

3. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

yeah, i stumbled upon it thanks to some good reviews i saw for the new season. not sure if it's supposed to be better than the first but i'll be tuning in to find out.

4. The Anti-Dubsden

The Anti-Dubsden User

Season 1 definitely >> Season 2, although the finale of the latter was admittedly pretty good

I'm not sure if the characters come off quite as intended though. The brother, whom we're supposed to believe is the biggest moron of the 3, is actually the only half likable one. The daughter meanwhile is utterly HATEFUL throughout, but I suspect we're meant to just put it all as a normal teenager acting out.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  5. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

this is back for season three and i'm still enjoying it.

6. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

i'm really enjoying this. it's been promoted to as soon as it screens viewing.

it just feels real somehow (despite the twist), i can relate to their struggles and i like the dynamic of the new season. even daughter isn't as annoying as she used to be. all in all, pretty good stuff.

7. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

can someone please start watching this? i need someone to gush over it with.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix Brown Cow...STUNNING

I keep meaning to download seasons 2 & 3. I'll try and get to it this week.

9. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I agree the writing for the daughter improved after the first season when she was awful beyond words. The exploration of lesbain world saving wasn't as tedious as it could have been and the Landslide scene was really affecting.

I do find Alex quite attractive, apparently unappealing toenails and slightly strangely shaped beard notwithstanding.

10. ameraal

ameraal wrong captcha

daughter is enough to put me off having kids for good. it's a shame cause there are moments when she seems to get it and then she does something completely off the douche scale.

"someone's been reading goop" made me chuckle, like, so hard.

11. FetchFugly

I finally caught up with the remaining few episodes last week after kind of forgetting about it.

Daughter reverted to being all kinds of terrible again. I think I preferred them all shacked up together, but it was another good season.

12. FetchFugly

I've just started watching the fourth season. The time jump and the self driving uber etc felt a little awkward but I am enjoying it.