Charli XCX - Charli (album 3)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Jark, Jun 13, 2019.

1. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I see a few people "called her out" over the burning car and she had to make a statement that the car had been drained of all its fuel etc and the fire was done using special liquids or something.

SAKE.

2. ameraal

ameraal trash

what's wrong with the burning car?

3. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Burning petrol sends harmful fumes into the atmosphere. I mean, targeting Charli rather than BP seems a bit lazy but, hey, that's Instagram for you.

4. ameraal

ameraal trash

lordy.

5. Ag

Ag User

Let's just close the internet down.

octophone likes this.
  6. Jark

Jark User

here's a not-quite-poppers-o-clock remix of White Mercedes which does the business much better than the album version in my opinion

Ag likes this.
  7. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

That was the worst gig I have ever experienced last night.

ABSOLUTE HELL!

The only highlight was chatting to COB.

dUb likes this.
  8. ameraal

ameraal trash

what happened?

i haven't really gone back to this album. apart from cross you out which keeps on growing and growing.

9. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Fucking hell, how wrong can you be? She was absolutely amazing, the audience were wild and she blasted through 20 absolute bangers in the shortest 90 minutes of my life. What did you WANT exactly?

(PS - COB is a highlight of ANY night and we all know it)

10. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

A verse and a chorus occasionally for starters!

It was just a fucking racket. Just relentless noise and flashing lights. She was like an entitled school girl who thought she was a rebel for saying FUCK every two minutes. I can appreciate she was here to promote Charli but one or two songs from her vast back catalogue would’ve been kinda nice y’know. It’s kinda funny, because I felt she had NO stage presence whatsoever.

The crowd were also a fucking nightmare. So so rude.

I’d seen the True Romance & Sucker tours so I know what she’s capable of.

But HEAVEN FORBID I have an opinion, eh?

dUb and octophone like this.
  11. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I do agree with that - I think she only skipped 2 songs from Charli and the rest were from POP2 and post-Sucker singles apart from "I Love It". I thought "Boom Clap" would be a given but nope.

I think her recent music is teeming with hooks and choruses - she never had any difficulty writing a tune. But the fact that "Vroom Vroom", a song constructed in a manner most closely resembling what a kid with ADHD would do with a Lego set, took the roof off says a lot: I've never seen a song as outwardly experimental as that received with such exuberance and abandon.

Anyway, I'll slink back to my 30-people-in-the-audience-someone-playing-a-lute-with-a-drill gigs at the Old Hairdressers now.

monsta likes this.
  12. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Oh! I thought that was just me showing my age! :D They were very bargey-shovey. But I loved seeing a largely young audience totally engaged and losing their shit to "Gone" and "Track 10".

13. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

They had zero appreciation for spacial awareness! :D

There was 2 lads literally having sex (ACTUAL PENETRATION!) next to us (one was in a FLEECE!) until one proceeds to projectile vomit EVERYWHERE.

I still don’t know if it was performance art!

dUb, FetchFugly, Pipo and 1 other person like this.
  14. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Oh good GRIEF! :D :D That's horrific. And a fleece? It was fucking boiling in there! Ah, youngsters, eh?...

monsta likes this.
  15. Jark

Jark User

What the actual fuck? At a concert? Why are people so disgusting?

Pipo and monsta like this.
  16. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

This seemed to be as standard for vast swathes of the fan base - it was legit like they didn’t know how to BEHAVE at a gig. Awful!

17. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Gross! I'm sorry you had to experience that, how awful :( I really enjoyed the show, but the crowd were definitely a BIT feral it has to be said (that feels like the understatement of the century after your revelation, mind...) - if the size and demeanour of the crowd had remained the same as it had been during Queen Rina (who was absolutely fucking transcendent) that would've been ideal.

octophone and monsta like this.
  18. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

The last time I was at a gig that mental was probably Blur in 1994. The tickets had gone on sale about the same time as "Girls And Boys" hit radio and it was already a different audience to the one I'd been in the previous year.

I understand them being so carefree, in both positive and negative senses of the word. After all, what else have they got?

19. FetchFugly

FetchFugly closing in again

I can't quite comprehend this. How completely ridiculous and unpleasant, though the fleece is a lovely detail.

To think I was getting a bit miffed at the woman behind me talking non-stop through Desire's set at Chromatics last night.

20. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

In fairness, I don't think it's fair to judge an entire generation by a Charli XCX concert. Charli XCX fans are uniquely trashy.

Pipo likes this.
  21. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Oh for fuck's sake :agog:

22. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I can't see that tweet at work (Twitter be blocked here - a good thing) but I do like to extrapolate.

23. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'm still buzzing off this, btw - "Official" came up on my shuffle this morning and I was near crying.

24. SDF

SDF Moving on, to a brighter dawn

@Halli post of the week

dUb likes this.
  25. OutSynk

OutSynk My name isn’t Alice

monsta likes this.
  26. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I’ve fallen down a proper Twitter rabbit hole looking at the deranged fan base.

Getting her to pose with a bottle of poppers, the fake dead mother’s ashes, the signed douche, the M&G with the fan who leaked her album, the entire Taxi debacle with the back & forth trolling from both parties. It’s truly TRULY wild.

Meanwhile I’m over here just wanting her to play Superlove & Boom Clap like the tragic basic white bitch I am.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    northernlad, Jark and dUb like this.
  27. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

^^^
    Just a reminder that this is from the man who met Lisa Scott-Lee whilst wearing a one-off t-shirt that read "B-List On Capital". :angel:

Jark, dUb and monsta like this.
  28. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

:D!

GUILTY!

29. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

And to be fair I genuinely thought she’d left the building when I changed into it :D

Jark and octophone like this.
  30. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

The guy who asked her to sign the douche is being dragged big style....some are even saying it constituted sexual harassment which I understand.

31. Jark

Jark User

Sexual harassment? No. Come on. It was cheeky but she's out there shouting "gay rights!" while posing with poppers - I don't think the douche thing was much of a leap.

32. Jark

Jark User

33. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

All I said was that I understood why people were saying it so get off your high horse and go back to wanking over "Flowers".

34. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

Gone are the days when meet and greets consisted of a quick signing of an album cover, a 10 second chat and a selfie. If Charli's not bothered about it then fair enough, and the whole sexual harassment being branded around is another case of how 'woke' (I fucking hate that word) our culture has become. You can't even breathe wrongly sometimes without someone calling you out. Although asking someone to hold a bottle of poppers to your nose is a bit MUCH though. Have some fucking respect for someone.

The behaviour at her gig sounds awful, but come on, it's not like bad behaviour is a new thing for a Glasgow audience. I saw people carried out of the Kylie Golden gig before even half time, and lesbians fighting at Céline Dion!

35. SDF

SDF Moving on, to a brighter dawn

Glaswegian lesbians don’t really mix well with Céline Dion tbf

36. Jark

Jark User

It was a joke, hun, lighten up. and I think I've posted once about Flowers.

37. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

By Glasgow standards, it was perfectly normal, although I might have thought differently if I'd had to see someone baw-deep in their partner and then vomiting profusely.

38. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

Someone who got Charli to pose for a photo with his dead mum's ashes did an interview with some online magazine about her saying she felt 'afraid' when he asked her, and the online abuse he's received.

Highlights include:

https://www.papermag.com/charli-xcx-ashes-fan-photo-2641165833.html?rebelltitem=16#rebelltitem16

A girl also spoke out about her experience being PISSED on by gays at a Charli concert.

Maybe people aren't being FAKE WOKE, Charli. Maybe you've just cultivated a really gross fanbase of extremely online men who only see you as a meme.

39. Jark

Jark User

How much should we blame the artist? She's just trying to maintain a closer/more real relationship with her fans compared to most popstars because she knows building that devotion is what will keep her relevant when she's not selling music. She wants to connect with people because she makes music so much for herself that she becomes completely vulnerable when it's out there and it opens up to criticism, I feel for her and I get it. I think it's a bit gross to put the behaviour of her fans on her - let's not blame the woman and maybe just accept that some homos are awful!

40. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I don't think it's her fault (although I do take exception to her using the phrase 'fake woke' like some incel or, worse, PIERS MORGAN). I just think her fanbase is an interesting case study in how the more unsavoury aspects of gay men's diva worship have been heightened by the hyper-ironic meme culture of modern fandom. In this essay I will...

(but mostly I just have a bone to pick with her fans because so many were so disparaging about Cross You Out, one of her best songs in years)

COB likes this.