Charli XCX - Charli (album 3)

Discussion in 'Pop' started by Jark, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Kalabaliken

Kalabaliken Pop Precision Since 1978

I think perhaps her being more accessible has contributed to this situation. Coupled with celebrities interacting more with people on social media. Fans feel like they 'own' the popstars now.

We never had this with acts in the 80s or 90s. We never had the interaction and there was more respect. I realise I sound like an old man here.

2. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Slightly OT but they don't deserve their own yet...I watched that Netflix show about Nasty Cherry the other day. Now, I'm not one for "binge television" but I watched it in a one-er. Jeez, it's car crash stuff but actually properly entertaining. One of them seems totally cool. One of them is a bit of a princess but still cool. Two of them are utter fannies and yet, weirdly, you come out of then other end rooting for them.

Highlights include their appalling first practice session which had me chortling and the bit in Episode 4 when Charli hands them their collective ass on a plate which is properly hilarious. Seriously, Ms XCX is FUMING, mate.

3. Tetris-Rock

Tetris-Rock TRAY UP, BITCH

I think the behaviour from some of Charli's fanbase is just an extreme version of the behaviour I have come to expect from a vocal subsection of gay men. The behaviour concentrates itself in relation to fandom of female popstars but can bleed into everyday interactions with actual women. Honestly, sometimes I only feel useful to these guys as long as I am providing some kind of entertainment - they aren't interested in or sometimes even inclined to see you as a human being and that is honestly why the behaviour is misogynistic.

Obviously with fandom, there is a lot of affection involved, but the line between laughing at or laughing with is teetered along very carefully. Probably the most obvious example of this is with Britney.

Charli's response honestly strikes me as someone mostly trying to not piss off a large section of her fanbase... a lot of gay men do not respond well AT ALL to accusations of misogyny as I have discovered a few times before on this very forum. It makes me feel that there is a queer subversion of the "cool girl" stereotype - basically a woman who is willing to laugh along with sexist bullshit and give men a free pass.

To me, it explains some of the appeal of drag queens in the community as well - they have all the glamour and entertainment of a female star but generally with the sensibilities of a gay man.

4. ameraal

ameraal trash

people just don't seem to have boundaries anymore. reality tv, social media and the overall monetization of bodies and emotions has made them pretty irrelevant for a lot of folk.

OutSynk likes this.
  5. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

There's a lot in this. Certainly what is acceptable for a drag queen can be deemed problematic for a woman and, as a subset, absolutely cancel-worthy for a trans woman.

Having watched that series, it does seem that she sometimes cares a massive amount about small things but is more dismissive of bigger concerns. But she's still young - despite having been around for so long, she's only 27. I cringe at some of the stuff I thought was OK at that age.

6. wurst

wurst User

I might just screenshot this and show it people when gays don’t understand the concept of misogyny in the community :disco:

7. Pipo

Pipo welcome to moopatica

christ on a bike

[​IMG]

COB likes this.
  8. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Oh my good god :D

9. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

I'm assuming this is essentially a Japanese advert for which she has been paid a hefty wedge.

10. COB

COB Nasty Boys

Anyone fancy a girls night in?

11. COB

COB Nasty Boys

She just did a Zoom call where she confirmed that a new album is coming on May 15th, it hasn't been started yet but she'll be making it during quarantine and collaborating with other artists/producers remotely.