Charlie Brooker's BLACK MIRROR

Discussion in 'Moopy TV' started by TurnerPrize, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Pingu

Pingu Noot noot

This has been picked up by Netflix for a 12-episode third season, going into production later this year.

2. cwej

cwej User

AMAZING news!

3. Ag

Ag User

It is, isn't it? His work has gone really international. GOOD FOR HIM.

4. cwej

cwej User

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jDiYGjp5iFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SERIOUSLY. CANNOT WAIT.

5. Zu-Klara

Zu-Klara User

I've always had a thing for Charlie Brooker or rather I did until I looked at recent pictures and realised that I preferred him when he was fat and lonely :horny:

6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

i imagine Charlie Brooker is a lot funnier in his own mind.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix The Nest

I never got past the pig episode, everyone seems to be raving about this and I want to give it another try.

8. Ag

Ag User

I really love a lot of Black Mirror, but sometimes his obvious hispter desires come through.

9. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Totes excite.

10. cwej

cwej User

Watched the first one. Really enjoyed it and it was the best performance I've ever seen from Bryce Dallas Howard. Spot on - got the combination of comedy and pathos just right.

11. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Is it out already?!

12. Ag

Ag User

Yes, released today. Gonna get elbow deep in a pig watching it this evening.

13. Ag

Ag User

LOVED Nosedive. That could be next week. Very on point.

14. ZZ

ZZ lacklustre forgotten diva

Just watched Nosedive too. Really really good.

15. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Got first 4 of them on the DL now. I'd much rather pay for netfilx but they wont let me.

16. cwej

cwej User

Watched the first 2. Nosedive and Playtest. The general consensus from reviews I've read is that Playtest is better than Nosedive, but I thought Nosedive was a far stronger piece of fiction. Playtest didn't seem to have as much of a point to it as I expected - I was expecting it all to come together at the end with some big grandiose statement, but it didn't deliver. Nosedive might have been obvious, but it was pure satire and very well written.

17. Ag

Ag User

Playtest was horrific viewing! I guess the dangers of AI, if we're gonna summarise.

18. Ag

Ag User

I feel quite uneasy now.

19. cwej

cwej User

I found Playtest all a bit American Horror Story-lite, and far less scary.

The third episode 'Shut Up And Dance' is the darkest of the three so far and worked really well though
    it really is a 100% retread of White Bear. Which is both good and bad... White Bear is one of the best episodes ever - but this has exactly the same point to it and exactly the same twist in essence. I thought the scene with the little girl in the restaurant at the beginning gave the game away a little bit too much though...
    - it was probably my favourite of Season 3 so far though despite that.

20. Ag

Ag User

I can't watch more than one a day!

21. ZZ

As there is no story to follow I chose to watch Episode 6 yesterday and it is very good too.

22. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Sunday night involves lots of weed and a few of these.

23. Ag

Ag User

I watched the third one yesterday with one of Robson & Jerome and it was fucking grim viewing too. Brilliant of course.

24. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

Watched Nosedive last night. Just incredible television. Bryce Dallas Howard will never not be a queen :disco:

And written by Rashida Jones! :disco:

Can't wait for the next one, shall not be binge watching because it's JUST TOO FUCKING MUCH.

25. ZZ

I hadn't noticed that! I'm pleasantly surprised I must say.

26. Ag

Ag User

She was really familiar to me (as is almost everyone in this series - I love the casting), but her filmography adds nothing to these claims.

I just found out, the boy in three played young Alan Turing in Imitation Game. So THERE.

27. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I've watched Nosedive and San Junipero. The former had a very pleasing #aesthetic. As did the latter, but more importantly it destroyed me emotionally.

Even if you've not seen it, Jurassic World's promotion was unavoidable, so maybe you recognize her from that.

28. Ag

Ag User

Episode 4 is beautiful!

29. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

Watched the first two last night. Nosedive was everything I expect from the series, obvious commentary on our fickle ideals of online popularity, set beautifully and acted perfectly.

I enjoyed playtest for a lot of reasons, I thought the scary aspect was ace, but then I was pretty stoned. However like cwej I felt it just didn't come together at the end. I thought they could have made more of the recurring aspect, it kind of reminded me of when on acid things start to go wrong and you question your own stability, and you get stuck in thought loops. The end just felt a bit meh.

Was really tempted to watch another but trying not to binge on them as theres so much to absorb.

30. Ag

Ag User

Episode 5 was my least fave for obvious reasons. 6 was ridiculous but a really compelling bit of TV. You can tell this is Brooker making TV with the budget he always wanted. So much glossier and bigger than the first two series.

31. big ron

big ron Nude inspector

I thought that about nosedive, it was shot beautifully. I'm really glad it didn't go shit.

Reckon hes got a film in him?

32. Ag

Ag User

Easy! The last one is 90 minutes so yeah. I bet he still has a million warped ideas bubbling away.

33. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I LOVED all the Edge cameos in Playtest!

My own AR nightmare would be having to watch his Tinder hookup in her starring role as Viva in West End extravaganza Viva Forever on a perpetual loop.

The guy in it is Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn's son!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  34. Suomi

Suomi User

Nosedive - loved the acting in this, and the desperation from the lead. I'll do anything for a Like too. For once this show gave me an ending that actually made me smile - that scene in the prison was welcome liberation after watching a Stepford world for 45 minutes.

Playtest - I predicted that his mum ringing while he had that headset on was BAD NEWS in the middle of the episode, but then I forgot about it. I thought parts of it were actually a little boring; I think they could have gone further with the scare tactics than just a spider and a muted ghost. He really should have just asked his mum for the money really.

Shut and Dance - Jesus Christ. I watched this late last night and it stayed with me today. I think what shocked me most is that I thought the lead was just too young himself to be a paedophile - you always imagine dirty old men - but then it explained how he was willing to go to the ends of the earth to keep his secret from coming out. When it got to the point of the bank robbery I was thinking 'God, just let them show the video then Jesus'.
    I didn't really buy that Robson Green's character would go through all that just to hide that he had been chatting to a prostitute - if he'd been a little shrewd maybe he could have pretended it was a present for his wife :D But yeah, a great episode that shocked and kept the suspense up the whole way through, just like "White Bear." I read a review that said the worst part was when the PTA mum was in their car because it dropped the suspense, but I totally disagree. That was PAINFUL to watch because you knew what kind of pressure they were under.

The lesbian San Paolo one - I actually watched this first and was underwhelmed, but if I had seen it after "Shut Up and Dance" I would have very much welcomed the happy vibes.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  35. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

I'm still haunted by Shut Up & Dance after watching it last night.

I couldn't breathe through it all, was rooting for him throughout then there's THAT twist. I'm so conflicted. Just horrible.

I HATE THIS SHOW YET LOVE IT.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  36. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

I've got such a love/hate relationship with Black Mirror. This article sort of sums up how I feel about it. I actively don't enjoy it but am kind of in awe of it at the same time.

I've not seen any of the Netflix series yet though, and I'm nervously looking forward to it.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/black-mirror-the-case-against-it.html

37. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Evil internet age DP of doom foretelling the end of humanity.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  38. Suomi

Suomi User

I agree with the article - I enjoy watching it for the thrill-seeking, but it doesn't actually make me feel good after. It certainly does make me THINK however, and I guess that's why I keep coming back to it.

39. cwej

cwej User

I love it.

However, Episode 5 was really predictable and didn't engage me as much as the rest.
    I guessed where it was going the second we first saw the Roaches.

40. cwej

cwej User

Loved Episode 6. It was like if
    Moopy's Cunt of the Week had some actual effect at the end of every week...

It kind of felt a bit like modern Who or even Torchwood rather than Black Mirror. A great way to end the series!