Christina Aguilera - Lotus

Discussion in 'Divas' started by POP!, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Well I made it through my first Xtina album ever, and it might be the vodka talking but WHAT AN ALBUM :D

08 Lotus Intro
    10 Army of me
    09 Red hot kinda love
    07 Make the world move
    10 Your body
    12 Let there be love
    07 Sing for me
    09 Blank page
    09 Cease fire
    06 Around the world
    08 Circles
    07 Best of me
    08 Just a fool

full track by track

I'm still reeling that she put "Circles" and "Best of me" next to each other :D "grow the FUCK UP, haters", "oh be nice haters, I'm sensitive", astonishing!

2. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

Army of me is NOT GUETTA ESQUE, Diddy. :D

And Just A Fool is a total max track. Quite possibly the best of the whole album.

WHO KNEW THAT LOVE WAS SO CRU-U-UEL YEAH.

3. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

Rise UP
    Lotus
    RISE
    This is the BEGINNING

Whilst not as iconic or legendary as BI-ON£IC!!! it remains a very good record.

4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

What is this, NickOnTheFlicks? :evil:

You've got me to give it another spin though. I did quite like it but it's utterly exhausting from start to finish I find.

You're missing a few tracks that are on my copy which I think is some deluxe edition jiggerpokery related: "Light Up The Sky" (alright), "Empty Words" (very good), Shut Up (OK) and "Your Body [Martin Garrix remix]" (pointless).

5. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

:D or NinkInTheSinks?

well I did wonder if I should, but thought it was at least flagging to the Xtina fans. It was exhausting writing it in the first place, let alone doing anything other than linking or cut-pasting the review here

6. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

I think you'd get more chat by posting the review on here than just linking but that's just my TWO PENNIES WORTH

7. Loufoque

Loufoque CONTINENTAL QUEEN

Maybe Diddy was afraid of some of the reactions that he would get from Moopy's Fighters

Not everyone is as easy going and accepting of criticism as I am

8. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Alright well here you go:

08 Lotus intro – Aren’t intros supposed to be, you know, short? This is longer than one of the normal tracks! Either way, Xtina sets out her mission statement. She’s been kicked but she’s not giving up. In a remarkable show of self-confidence she compares herself to the titular lotus plant, famed for its divine beauty despite growing out of the dirt (or dirrt). How modest! She dials it down a bit, it’s quite a chilled out intro but a decent lead-in to the theme of the album.

10 Army of me – OMGZ Xtina was made for these hit-chasing EDM tracks, she can shout as loud as she likes and it just keeps getting better, HA! She explores her usual theme of how people have been a bit shitty to her, but watch your back because every blow only makes her stronger and she’ll scream your bones clean out of your body. It’s a typically Guetta-esque euphoric dance song and it grows beautifully, while letting her not hold back on the vocals. The middle-eight is a well-deserved breather, and that final chorus… love it. Why wasn’t this a single?!

09 Red hot kinda love – This reminds me a bit of Kylie’s “Body Language” in a weird way, I think it’s the percussion. It’s got an unstoppable little rhythm to it, and a cheerful “la la la” refrain. I love the later “la la la” where she tries to do it with full vox and it’s a bit ‘nails down a blackboard’, but in an amazing way. I had this down as a bit of a B-list track but it’s quite fun in an ‘I’ve had a lot of vodka before I started typing’ kind of way.

07 Make the world move – There’s one major thing wrong with this, it starts with Cee and ends in Lo. It starts promisingly as another empowerment to world peace via a grassroots approach of people just being excellent to each other. I just don’t like Cee-Lo on it. Or anything for that matter. The rhythm is just a bit ploddy and annoying, and spoils an otherwise decent song.

10 Your Body – OMG I love this one, a pure slut anthem like never before. The video really is something quite incredible too. Xtina just wants a fuck and she doesn’t care who knows it, SAY! She doesn’t care what your name is, just get it done. I love that Xtina, not exactly in the most solid of positions after “Bionic” launches her new album with something so unlikely to be played on the radio. It’s a great song too.

12 Let there be love – I feel stupid, I’ve pissed away two 10/10 scores when this is surely due a 12/10. If “Army of me” was dancefloor-ready, it’s got nothing on this. This is so much better than that shitty Pitbull song, catchier than her cameo in “Moves like Jagger”, it’s just a full-on, fanny-out, glitter-cannon-firing dancefloor H-bomb. This not being a single is criminal, WTF guys? Singable even for lesser mortals who can’t scream for 3 minutes, and the biggest hit-in-waiting on this album.

07 Sing for me – Phew, time for a lay down after that. Is that a respirator effect at the start? I need air. She doesn’t though, even in a tender ballad her voice is bellowing out her emotion. Almost to be taken literally, she sings “when I open my mouth, my whole heart comes out”. Probably other organs too. She’s not apologising though, she’s empowered and proud of her position as a international megastar singer/judge/super-bitch. Nice song but what minimal production there is gets totally steamrollered by La Aguilera.

09 Blank Page – She always needs a good ballad, but she hasn’t got there on this album yet. Well this is as close as you’ll get. It’s no “Hurt”, but it’s got a Sia co-write. I could imagine her singing it certainly. Again it feels like Chrissy steamrollers this one, but she has moments subtlety in the post-chorus comedowns. But she’s on the ropes, she’s messed up and ruined a relationship, and she’s so sorry. That lovely roughness to her voice works so well, and after all the ballbuster tracks so far, there is a genuine vulnerability to this one.

09 Cease Fire – It’s not an immediate one but this song has stayed with me more than most on this album. I love the climactic military drum-beat at the start, those verses are awesome, they make me take notice every time. It’s odd this was produced by the same trio as my least favourite tracks so far (Lotus intro and Make the world move), but they get it really right here. There’s a great weariness about it, the slow rhythm tired from the fighting and just wants to make up. The choral middle-eight works well too, leading into that amazing… I don’t know what it is, it’s bordering on a rap or something. Great though, love this.

06 Around the world – Hmm well, not sure about this one, a bit of a rhythm crashing mess, a bit of a generic dance track, like that feature on that Pitbull song. A bit more urban-tinged, it just doesn’t feel like it’s quite got the personality of the album, it’s quite faceless. International love … are you sure this wasn’t meant for Pitbull?

08 Circles – A surprising change in tempo now with a subdued and cheeky little track for the haters. Spin on her middle finger, h8erz! It’s hard to dislike this one too much, it’s just so ridiculously obnoxious! FUCK YOU EVERYONE! I love her semi-rap verses, what is she, Britney? I love how clipped her tones are, “I suggest you go and grow the FUCK UP!” Shouty and horrid but somehow quite good.

07 Best of me – After that dazzling display of fight-fire-with-fire hateration against the haters, without even blinking she runs into this hurt ballad, uttering “words cut through my skin”. Be nice everyone (or grow the fuck up and spin on my middle finger), Christina is a delicate little flower, like the lotus. HEY WHAT? At least she’s got a sense of humour putting these songs together, I’m not buying it for a second.

08 Just a fool – Head spinning, I blunder into the final track, an unexpected foray into the Country market, duetting with Blake Shelton, whoever he is. I guess as a sales-chasing measure, going country isn’t a bad idea in the US, but it doesn’t quite work to British ears. But it’s quite nice really, you get a little break from Xtina bellowing when Blake’s singing. It’s quite a decent duet though really, even though it absolutely doesn’t fit on this album. Worth a try though, eh? No, probably not.

Well there we have it, I made it through my first Christina album. I really enjoyed it, all said and done. Maybe I’ll be able to give one of her more lengthy efforts a go next. But maybe I’ll just recede back a few years and try “Bionic”. But not because Perez told me.

Keepers for the iPod: Army of me, Red hot kinda love, Your Body, Let there be love, Blank Page, Cease Fire, Circles, Just a fool

9. Jark

Jark User

I have never got "Army of Me". It's SO FLAT. The chorus has no impact at all.

10. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

That's really funny because, as we all know, "Army of Me" actually has the impact of a Muslim brotherhood coup on a fragile Arab state.

11. Loufoque

Army of Me is absolutely spectacular

I remember listening to it in the gym last December after my BF had pissed me off and it whipped me into such an empowered frenzy that I nearly smashed him in the face with a dumbbell :disco:

12. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

I especially love it when it comes on during my long runs. It gives me that little bit of extra edge towards the end. Sometimes I even mouth along with the lyrics to the bemusement of Hampshirites. But I feel I'm channeling Legendtina so it's alright, it's okay [Lea Andreone 2013 One-Hit Wonder Edit].

13. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

Ha! Christina would have loved that! :D

Army of Me sounds like something Pink or Katy Perry would release..

14. POP!

POP! Across that county line

"Just a Fool" is still my favorite ballad on the album, it's the epitome of that 'drunken, end of the night at the bar' (if you live in Tennesee, or perhaps on another planet where the song was rightfully a 10 week #1) song choice. Country-pop may be an avenue for X-Tina to go down at some point

15. Jark

Jark User

Legend X finally bestows a second video from Lotus

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AYRfOozYUvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

VMAs 2014 - get ready to be SWEEPED.

17. Slave

Slave User

I think it just goes to show what a great artist Christina is to her fans. After a tireless and no doubt EXHAUSTING promotional campaign for 'Lotus', she can still find the time to provide 20 seconds of footage for a single which probably wouldn't otherwise have even had the video.

18. Pipo

Pipo Gossip is the devil’s telephone, best to hang up!

is that MISS X or Courtney Sodden? i am baffled

19. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

I feel sorry for the dancers. What do they have to rehearse for? What do they have to LIVE FOR?

Christina looks like a QoL :disco:

20. Phoenix

Phoenix The Wife

RACISM SUCKS

21. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

ANYWAYS.

Less than four weeks to go until the season premiere of THE VOICE! SAY :disco:

22. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

23. Pipo

#twitterwasthepromo

24. straightorbroken

straightorbroken Trust the Duchess

She's bloomed commercially twice and a half in our lifetime, it might not happen again. Thankfully her key issue of being a female woman with a cutlery-free attitude to cunnilingus won't leave her unstuck for things to sing about though.

25. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

She has some* important words for all us FIGHTERS.

* a lot of

I feel so empowered.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  26. funky

funky INCAPABLE

She clearly needs a part-time job.

27. VoR

VoR Forever in our hearts #Justice4Barb

Has she been dropped? The tone of that (as much as I could get through anyway) is very "I've been dropped".

28. Pipo

she's suffering from FAMINE you insensitive BEING

:)

29. Apocalypt Flyer

Apocalypt Flyer spheres

LET THERE BE LET THERE BE LOVE! :disco:

30. POP!

POP! Across that county line

Well she isn't very CONCISE.

31. Loufoque

Bless her.

32. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

It does sound like a leaving speech doesn't it? Also at least we've learnt that she has an old best friend - eager and ready to take it all in. :ken:

33. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

Ugh "You're"/"your" issues really annoy me.

34. Gangsta Nancy Lam

Gangsta Nancy Lam mess

When one lotus closes, another one opens. She's been writing a lot which means a NEW ALBUM within the next 5 years.

35. Suedey

Suedey GOD CONTROL

Maybe BI-ON$$$$Ick!!!$££()£$ part deux? :disco:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013