Christmas Midweeks (14/12/10)

Discussion in 'Charts' started by Johnkm, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Matt Cardle’s victory in the X Factor at the weekend looks set to land the former Essex painter and decorator with the Christmas number one as it takes a strong lead in early midweek sales flashes.

The 27 year-olds’ cover of Biffy Clyro’s Many Of Horror’s is currently more than 70,000 units ahead of its closest competitor, Rihanna Feat. Drake’s What’s My Name. If this state of play holds it might show that 2009’s battle between last year’s X Factor winner and Rage Against The Machine - backed by the show's protesters - was little more than an anomaly in the annual fight for the festive top slot.

The original version of Cardle's song, by the Scottish rockers, also finds itself in the top ten in early sales - the only other new entry in the top 10 apart from Trashmen’s Surfin’ Bird at number three. Willow’s Whip My Hair, which last week look set to take the 10 year old to the top of the charts and Black Eyed Peas’ The Time both slip in the top ten.

Meanwhile, Cage Against The Machine’s 4’33 track of silence, which was being mobilised as this year's X Factor protest song, just about scrapesinto the top 20 – with the rest of the top 20 appearing almost static.

On the albums front, it seems that nothing can knock Take That’s Progress from its reign at the top of the charts for the fourth week running, confirming what many already suspected - that the record will deliver the band their first Christmas number one since reforming earlier this year.

Michael Jackson’s posthumous Michael lands itself in the top five in the midweeks – with only 10,000 sales keeping it from Rihanna’s Loud at number two. For the former king of pop to compete head to head with Take That, he will have to more than double his album sales before Sunday. However he looks unlikely to slip out of the top five, which also features Michael Buble’s Crazy Love and Olly Murs’ self titled debut.

Robbie Williams’ In And Out Of Consciousness was the only big gain in the top 30, entering the top 10 undoubtedly helped by gifting over the festive period.

2. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Top 40 Only:

Singles

1 Matt Cardle [112k, more than 70k ahead of #2]
    2 Rihanna ft. Drake
    3 Trashmen [25k]
    4 Ellie Goulding
    5 The Black Eyed Peas

Top 10
    6 Take That
    9 Biffy Clyro [15k]
    Michael Jackson & Akon

Top 20
    17 Rihanna [Unfaithful]
    Cee Lo Green
    19 John Cage – 4’33” [6k]

Top 40
    Corey Taylor
    Usher
    40 Tinie Tempah ft. Kelly Rowland

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Albums

1 Take That
    2 Rihanna
    3 Michael Jackson
    4 Michael Buble
    5 Olly Murs

Top 10
    6 Robbie Williams – In And Out Of Consciousness

Top 20
    Rumer

Top 30
    Ellie Goulding
    Plan B
    James Blunt

Top 40
    Tinie Tempah
    35 Biffy Clyro
    Bruce Springsteen
    Adele

Joe had done 77k and RATM 83k on Tuesday last year.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

Good opening for Matt, but it doesn't approach Alexandra who had sold 149,546 by Tuesday.

4. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

The final was on the Saturday though in 2008 wasn't it? Giving her an extra day of sales over Matt (and indeed Joe).

5. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

That Music Week report is as well researched as ever, Take That will have their 5th, not 4th, week at #1 this week :D

6. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Someone on Facebook was moaning that X Factor had changed the title of the Biffy Clyro song cos they didn't want a song with "Horror" in the title - is this true?

7. RobotBoy

RobotBoy BANG BANG

Yes, Matt's version is called 'When We Collide'. You couldn't make it up!

8. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

As if it was going to make a difference...bizarre behaviour.

9. lolly

lolly Rowena? From Kuwait?

dUb (I think) guessed they would do that. I can see exactly why they have done it.

10. scruff

scruff User

people really should ignore the Cardle Karaoke version in their masses and buy the far superior (and correctly titled) original

11. dUb

dUb BUSY

My proudest moment of OH TEN

12. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Stops the two versions getting confused and people buying the "wrong" one I guess.

13. Mel

Mel User

[frothing housewife]And my Matt Cuddles would NEVER sing a song with the word "horror" in the title!!![/frothing housewife]

14. Jark

Jark User

In fairness Many of Horror was a silly title in the first place - probably only chosen because BIFFY didn't want their FIERCELY NON MAINSTREAM FANBASE to have to endure a song whose title was chosen FROM THE CHORUS in TRADITIONAL POP FASHION

I mean CAN YOU IMAGINE

15. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

God, I KNOW. I mean, imagine having an artistic vision for your music that went beyond commerce.

16. Mel

Mel User

Well, what else would you expect from an EDGY band of true ARTISTS, crafting their sonic masterpieces of REAL MUSIC!

(However I can't even pronounce the word horror properly so well done Matt Cardle for changing it)

17. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Well, this is ITV's Saturday night audience we're talking about.

18. cwej

cwej User

As if that's the reason they've done it. It's not like they renamed 'Hallelujah' to 'The BEAST'S Prayer' to avoid confusion with Alexandra's debut is it?

19. cwej

cwej User

I am literally THIS close (that's millimetres) to putting you on ignore.

Just because a song's chorus doesn't contain the title doesn't make the title 'silly'... !!!!!

20. VoR

VoR #Justice4JLo

IF ONLY THEY HAD :D

21. Ryan

Ryan User

Jark - you are making an (incorrect) assumption about a band who, only a few days ago, you hadn't heard any music by! The titles of the other singles from this album all feature in the chorus - 'THe Captain', 'Mountains', 'Bubbles', 'That Golden Rule', 'God & Satan.' Not all "real music" bands or fans are as SNOBBISH as you seem to think!

22. Diddy

Diddy Rice Queen

Though most of the discussion about this single seems to indicate that PLENTY ARE :D

23. dmlaw

dmlaw Democracy doesn't work

I bet you refer to Gabrielle's 'Dreams Can Come True' and Tina Turner's 'You're Simply The Best' as well.

And anyone who thinks that Biffy's fanbase are in any way non-mainstream, including Biffy fans who think that, should really stick to talking about things they understand. Like Catfights and Spotlights.

24. Slave

Slave User

Even THAT is debatable.

25. Suedey

Suedey Fallen

You guys must have missed the memo. It's NOT cool to laugh at JARKETTE's expense anymore! :evil:

26. monsta

monsta CAUGHT YOUR FEVER

PITY is what we should be offering.

27. Jark

Jark User

It wasn't a SERIOUS POST dear :D I thought that much was plainly obvious. I am well aware thankyou that some song titles are found in the verse of the song or perhaps nowhere at all in the song, and in some cases it makes sense. For me, with this song, it makes no sense. 'Many of Horror' is an awkward title. 'When We Collide' seems much more natural.

However I am more than happy for you to do what you've got to do. If you think me dubbing a song title 'silly' warrants me going on ignore then feel free. I find it ODD but I won't waste any tears on it.

I think that post must've been the first time EVER that I have even indirectly commented on 'real music' bands or fans. I really don't think anything either way. I was making a light hearted comment. There was no deeper meaning.

28. Ag

Ag User

Considering the MASSIVE AMOUNT of SHIT you post, is it ANY WONDER, people thought it JUST MAY have been serious...

29. Jark

Jark User

Am I supposed to be bothered that they've interpreted it incorrectly or something? It was JUST a JOKEY COMMENT. If anybody else had said the same thing nobody would've mentioned it and I'm not going to waste any more time talking about it either.

30. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

Cwej, I know a lot of what Jark says IS ridiculous, but would it not just be easier for you to 1) actually put him on ignore or 2) just not feel the need to reply and disagree with everything he says. It's incredibly tiresome reading through another thread of you arguing with X about X.

31. Suedey

Suedey Fallen

It was obviously a joke! Over the past few months I've become aware of the GENIUS* of JARKETTE and I must say, I LIKE!

(* 'genius' used VERY LOOSELY)

32. Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony

Nathalie Tauziat's Analpony User

So Rihanna might get another #2 this week :D The X Factor is paying her really big dividends this year (OG, WMN, Unfaithful and especially Loud)

33. cwej

cwej User

Considering (a) I'm one of FOUR people (Ryan, Agnetha and dmlaw being the others) to directly respond to Jark's comments on this page and 'disagree' with him and (b) this is a discussion forum where I believe it's still in the rules that we're allowed to disagree with other posters, I find this a strange post when it's directed only at me.

34. cwej

cwej User

Who do you think you are? Simon Cowell?

I think MOST of the contestants on X Factor this year were genius at some point./

35. Johnkm

Johnkm Valar Morghulis

I've singled you out because it isn't just this thread and it isn't just Jark. I've seen you disagree with Jark on a number of matters recently in a fair few threads, which is fine, as this is a discussion forum. You just seem 100% INCAPABLE of accepting any differing opinion. It's not a discussion with you, it's YOU DON'T AGREE WITH ME, YOU ARE WRONG, I AM RIGHT, UNTIL YOU ACCEPT THIS, I'M NOT GOING TO STOP.

36. Raucous Bitch

Raucous Bitch Apparently, Winter is Coming

I like how Simon from Biffy is bleating about how they don't want to be associated with X-Factor. But not so much that he didn't want a FAT ROYALTY CHEQUE.

It's the first X-Factor single I have actually bothered to buy, but I really like the song and think it suits Matt. I think choosing a song that suited the artist rather than letting them all sing the same thing was a really good move actually and I think does show progression for the show.

37. cwej

cwej User

Well, OF COURSE I'M RIGHT. Don't you know ANYTHING?

38. octophone

octophone Techno Poo

Depending on the terms of their publishing deal, they might not have been able to prevent it, although I would have thought a change of title would require their permission...

39. Ryan

Ryan User

Oh, I hope I didn't come across as being argumentative for the sake of it. I thought Jark was making a serious point, and I just disagreed with it. Such is the beauty of discussion forums. No victimisation intended.

40. Ryan

Ryan User

I think what he is saying is that he hopes people do not disregard the song or the band just because it has been associated with The X Factor - in the same way that 'Hallelujah' and '"Heroes"' have not been tainted by the covers.