Closer

Discussion in 'The Classics - Films' started by cwej, Feb 5, 2006.

?

How Close to perfection?

1. 10

33.3%
  2. 9

13.3%
  3. 8

13.3%
  4. 7

20.0%
  5. 6

13.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

6.7%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cwej

cwej User

Just watched this for the first time since its first week on release in the cinema and loved it again. Utterly my kind of film - human drama that doesn't preach, with superb performances from the leads. But with a script that good, it was difficult for any of them to put a foot wrong I reckon.

The argument I have with my brother still stands though. We can't work out which characters are the good guys and which are the bad guys - I LOVE that fact. I found myself rooting for Jude Law's character in the end, my brother was rooting for Clive Owen's, but I found Owen's character to be utterly brutal and unforgiving and unlikeable. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Natalie Portman's character is the most blameless in the film - but her character is pretty much a screwball too... Spending FOUR YEARS with someone and lying to them throughout about something as simple as she does...

It'#s all very thought-provoking, especially when you're in a certain frame of mind yourself... *sigh*

2. Ellie

Ellie Super talented triple threat

I love it and agree with everything you said. I'd buy the DVD if it had any extras, like on-set interviews or something. I was laughing out loud so many times in the cinema seeing this.

So many memorable quotes :D

"That's the spirit. Thank you. Thank you for your honesty. Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag"

3. Devil

Devil I Need A House

I've never seen it, but everyone gives it glowing reviews. Must check it out.

4. Christian

Christian GOOD BYE!

Very very good. I saw it twice in the theatre which was probably the better experience overall - I don't think the film really gets away from the stagy way in which it's written.

5. Commotion

Commotion User

I thought it was an interesting film but not outstanding. The trouble with it was that I didn't really like any of the characters - Jude Law in particular. I found it a bit difficult to really care about the story when I had only a slight interest in what happened to them.

I do think that Clive Owen and Natalie Portman were pretty impressive and Julia Roberts is a bit more subtle than she normally is.

6. Sheena

Sheena MAKE IT QUICK, LUCILLE!

I thought the acting was very good and Im somewhere inbetween Cwej and Commotion- it was really good but not outstanding for me, though some elements of it WERE outstanding...

7. Matthew

Matthew I am not a sandwich

Average as fuck.

8. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

Superb acting but ultimately let down by characters you really couldn't give a fuck about

9. ameraal

ameraal trash

i enjoyed closer a great deal
    i thought it was touching, accessible and i identified myself with quite a few of the emotions on display
    the acting's solid, it does looky stagey, but i don't mind one bit

10. Ellie

Why do films/TV shows have to have likeable characters for you to give a crap about them? I constantly hear that criticism about one of my fav TV shows, Nip/Tuck. Just cos all the characters are revolting doesn't make it any less entertaining :angel:

11. Frozen

Frozen I Play The Streetlife

I don't know, I just find I like a show or movie more if the characters in them are likeable. That's not to say I'll dislike a show if there are unlikeable characters in it. Every show or movie needs a dislikeable character, or one that you love to hate eg Julian McMahon in Nip/Tuck

12. Commotion

Commotion User

I think it's difficult to be interested in a film where you can't relate to the characters or care in any way about them which may be a better way of stating it. None of the characters in the film were interesting people. The acting was above average but the character's stories weren't that interesting to me.

13. I thought this was DROSS. Although I did like Julia Roberts.

14. cwej

cwej User

I thought all four of the characters were interesting people. Probably NONE of them were likeable, but they were all very drawn out characters.

15. Superstylin'

Superstylin' User

Is there any way a poll could be added to this! One of my all time favs!! :)

16. funky

funky INCAPABLE

I enjoyed it but it really is nothing special

Quite well written and Julia Roberts is great without even trying very much. Clive Owen is also typically reliable in it.

But I JUST DON'T GET JUDE LAW. Has he actually had a GOOD PERFORMANCE? He just irritated me in this, as he does in EVERY film he appears in.

The most overrated actor in the history of cinema. Ish.

17. Ellie

Only giving it a 7. 2 years on and it really doesn't have much of a re-watchability factor.

18. The Talented Mr Ripley.

19. funky

funky INCAPABLE

oh I STILL haven't seen that... :D

20. He's the fucking star of it. Amazing performance. It's pretty much the only thing of merit he's done though. I too find him quite jarring in most things, espesh this.

21. cwej

cwej User

For me, the fact that the characters are ALL flawed makes them all far easier to relate to. Do we really all love ourselves so much that we can't see that we all have faults too?

22. Kitty Kat

Kitty Kat User

oh i meant to vote 2 not 7!

it's bobbins.

23. Dark Carnival

Dark Carnival Tu cabeza, mi cabeza

Absolutely amazing, one of my all time favourites.

24. Ellie

Noted

25. Ag

Ag User

Just watched this. What a shower of cunts for a grey Saturday afternoon.

26. jivafox

jivafox Stay sexy don’t get murdered

My favourite review for this was "beautiful people doing horrible things to each other"

I love it. The play is infinitely better though, I don't know why they cut out the Anna and Alice confrontation after they've swapped the first time, it's just SO GOOD.

27. RaspberrySwirl

RaspberrySwirl Leftover

It's in my top five.